ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. Purdue

Yeah, not sure why he goes down when he's been terrible on bottom all year. You have the ride time point and was much better on his feet to start the match.

Reactions: Leonard23
Yeah, not sure why he goes down when he's been terrible on bottom all year. You have the ride time point and was much better on his feet to start the match.
Exactly. What kind of strategy is that? At least show sound wrestling IQ and not expose yourself intentionally like that.

He better live in the weight room in the off-season. For someone who demanded to not RS, he is literally losing us duals now. To me, that's unacceptable when we had a senior who likely wins us the match today and likely vs Cornell as well.
“Demanded” seems like a really speculative term based on nothing

Reactions: rondi
Why did we let Lipari walk again? We didnt deserve to win the dual but Aragona just flat out looks like he never wrestled bottom in his life.
probably hasn't.....he has been a winner most of his wrestling career.......this is always the toughest position to adjust to ,coming from h.s into college.....i'm sure they work on this a whole lot in practice.

Reactions: rondi
Never know if you’re better until you try it in a real match

Partially on Goodale here. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Did you scout this kid? He’s obviously good on top. JoJo was winning Neutral whole match. You have the riding Time point. Bad job all around by coaches and wrestler there. JoJo needs to do better to. It’s obvious he Should have redshirted and this was a major mistake but it is what it is at this point. Doubt he even qualifies for NCAA. He is an average .500 NCAA wrestler right now. Maybe Goody will learn from this not to be bullied by a Freshman into letting you wrestle.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
When you have to be Mariano Rivera in the 9th inning of a 1 run game, you don't try a new pitch out of the blue like that. A less pressure packed situation wouldve made more sense.

That doesn't make it a good or smart decision especially given the situation. I know hindsight is 20/20 but that seemed obvious from the beginning.

Does Jantzer roll around with Downey at all? He is very slick for a big guy. If he stays at 84 he will be a multiple AA.
You can see him gaining more and more confidence in his shot. I'm hoping he stays at 184 cause at that weight with a little more confidence, his strength will help him finish them. At 197 it's a whole new ball game.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
That doesn't make it a good or smart decision especially given the situation. I know hindsight is 20/20 but that seemed obvious from the beginning.
I disagree. In that situation, every wrestler chooses down unless they’re wrestling a guy who is elite on top. I know JoJo has struggled on bottom but if you’re a D1 wrestler you just have to get your escape there. He came close a few times. It’s disappointing and frustrating but it’s also wrestling and it happens.

You can see him gaining more and more confidence in his shot. I'm hoping he stays at 184 cause at that weight with a little more confidence, his strength will help him finish them. At 197 it's a whole new ball game.
Just a matter of how brutal the cut to 184 is. Kid walks around at about 205, 210

I disagree. In that situation, every wrestler chooses down unless they’re wrestling a guy who is elite on top. I know JoJo has struggled on bottom but if you’re a D1 wrestler you just have to get your escape there. He came close a few times. It’s disappointing and frustrating but it’s also wrestling and it happens.

We can agree to disagree. I agree that 99% of D1 wrestlers are going bottom because they know they can get out confidently at some point. That's been his achilles heel all year thus far so there has been absolutely nothing definite about him being able to get out. There is difference in trying to develop in an area and making a smart decision given the circumstances.

Pluses
Alvarez
....Scramble master, top ridin'. Stylin', Profilin', Limousine Ridin', Kiss stealin', Wheelin' and Dealin' Son of a gun
WOOOOOO

Turley Manhandled opponent.

Janzer gritting out another win (He reminds me of Garvina his freshamn year before all of the injuries)

Pagano
Looked to be up 3-1 before injury

Neutral
Aguilar
has come back to ground ever since he started wrapping his thumb. Still looks to be a NCAA Qualifier.

Angelo
Hope he didn't tweak his knee to bad

Not going to list any negatives!

Reactions: koleszar
Don’t lay it all on Aragona. We had 285 won and all Matt had to do is run away from the guy with 10-15 seconds left. He could give up a stall
I saw exactly one person lay it on Aragona in a 4 page thread. Not the entire board, most are just disappointed in the way he lost. Unable to get a single escape in 2 mins. That's not wrestling well, people are simply having a discussion they're not ripping the kid.

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
Pluses
Alvarez
....Scramble master, top ridin'. Stylin', Profilin', Limousine Ridin', Kiss stealin', Wheelin' and Dealin' Son of a gun
WOOOOOO

Janzer gritting out another win (He reminds me of Garvina his freshamn year before all of the injuries)

Pagano

Neutral
Aguilar
has come back to ground ever since he started wrapping his thumb. Still looks to be a NCAA Qualifier.

Angelo

I see what you did there. I'm sure he'll be here shortly to nitpick what he deems inappropriate.

Last edited:
Don’t lay it all on Aragona. We had 285 won and all Matt had to do is run away from the guy with 10-15 seconds left. He could give up a stall
Bill I think we're use this with Correnti by now.JoJo just looks ..flat.Like some sort of burnout or mental block.

I was not criticizing just The point of getting on JoJo. There were 2 bouts that we could have and should have won to give us the meet. Matt and JoJo. Matt’s opponent came alive in the 3rd and bullied him over the mat. JoJo almost got away but close is only good in horseshoes. We got a 9 point swing at 197 which was a gift. Have to take advantage of that.

125: Aguilar got out horsed.Definitely a big physical difference. The kid has shot at making the NCAA tournament though.
133: If Alvarez wrestles his best ,hes got a very good shot of AA this year.
141: JoJo has some serious soul searching to do if he wants to continue being a wrestler in the Big Ten
149: .500 at best until he decides that he cant cradle or cow catch everyone.
157: No offense what so ever.MVB reminds me of a smaller version of Phil" I took 2 shots my whole career" Backucass( spelling)
165: Turley looked good but the kid he wrestled was a flapjack.
174: olivieri look tough in the beginning but we knew how this the story was going to play out. You can't get taken down that many times. You're better off getting two stall calls
184: Janzer should make the ncaa's, but he may only win one or two matches
197: I was impressed with Pagano today, the big question is can he keep it up.
Hwt: Colucci or Correnti, either of the two we're screwed at heavyweight

Last edited:
Reactions: gogs7
I was not criticizing just The point of getting on JoJo. There were 2 bouts that we could have and should have won to give us the meet. Matt and JoJo. Matt’s opponent came alive in the 3rd and bullied him over the mat. JoJo almost got away but close is only good in horseshoes. We got a 9 point swing at 197 which was a gift. Have to take advantage of that.
Yeah but Bill correnti has been wrestling for a good portion of his life. I don't know why he waits when he knows how these guys are going to wrestle him. They're going to be just big blobs out there swinging ther arms attacking when they're down by a point or two. Matt should know this by now. It's a constant scenario with him. Always up by a point or two and blows it the last couple seconds

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
We struggle to be offensive and shoot and score on our feet, and that's why we lost this dual. Janzer, Aragona, Alvarez, Correnti, and Aguilar all need to pull the trigger. Too much hanging on to win and that mostly results in losses. Aragona choosing bottom was a very bad decision.

Also, NCAA needs to make the bow and arrow illegal in college. Angelo almost had his back broken and both knees hurt. NFHS already made it illegal. Way too dangerous.

On a side note...DeSanto TF Decatur after giving up the 1st TD.
I am most worried about ALvarez facing him. You cannot prepare for him

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Goodale saying everything we say in APP:

"We probably shouldn't went down (bottom) at 41, but we've got to figure it out sooner or later. You've got to figure it out,'' Goodale said. "You've got two minutes with 5,000 people fired up and no response. It's frustrating right now. You can't let matches like that go.''

"Jo Jo works hard, but you have to win a close match. It was right for the picking. If he takes him down in overtime, he wins. If you get off the bottom, you win. Figure it out.. He'll always work. For me, it's his mind. The way he approached overtime worries me a little bit.''

"It starts in practice room. There's not enough fight in our practice room.. That's not what we're about, '' Goodale said.

That's a tough, tough loss for Correnti. He stopped working when he had the lead with 10 seconds left and ended up losing. Can't have that.
All he had to do was run ..he had a stall he could give ....this ref does call some bullshit stalls tho ..he listens to other coach then hit us with stall almost every time

Reactions: TRU2RU and rondi
Limmex has wrestled more duals then Parriott lately and is a two time Natl Qualifier ...hardly a backup..
He's the backup to Parriott at 149 yes I know Limmex's history at 141. I didn't have time to post his entire biography while the match was transpiring and left it at he is decent. You want to say he's more than decent at 149 have at it.

Pluses
Alvarez
WOOOOOO

Pagano

Neutral
Aguilar

Angelo

You could definitely see and hear him scream in that last 30 second twist ride ..knee bent all way back ..he seemed to shake it off but not surprised if he tweaked something

He's the backup to Parriott at 149 yes I know Limmex's history at 141. I didn't have time to post his entire biography while the match was transpiring and left it at he is decent. You want to say he's more than decent at 149 have at it.
Wonder why Parrott didn't go today. Hope Brunner is okay...no wrestler wants to win a match due to his opponent being injured.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
Goodale saying everything we say in APP:

"We probably shouldn't went down (bottom) at 41, but we've got to figure it out sooner or later. You've got to figure it out,'' Goodale said. "You've got two minutes with 5,000 people fired up and no response. It's frustrating right now. You can't let matches like that go.''

"Jo Jo works hard, but you have to win a close match. It was right for the picking. If he takes him down in overtime, he wins. If you get off the bottom, you win. Figure it out.. He'll always work. For me, it's his mind. The way he approached overtime worries me a little bit.''

"It starts in practice room. There's not enough fight in our practice room.. That's not what we're about, '' Goodale said.
Just listened to it. He was pissed. This board is like Disneyland compared to how pissed he was.

Paraphrasing "Their kids wanted it, wanted to get it to OT in that 7th minute, our kids I've got to throw out a brick and get them a breath or some air. 125 we just got hammered can't let that happen".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT