ADVERTISEMENT

Live results from the NJ state wrestling championships in Atlantic City

Casale wins 8-1 but didn't look great TBH. Hopefully he gets back to what he's been doing by tomorrow because Cosgrove has been rolling.

I agree that few could pull that move off, the question is can it be successful at the next level.
That specific funky move he does? I doubt it, at least not against B10 guys. That said, first time I saw him do it was at states his freshemen year. He lost the match and he kept putting himself in bad position using it. But when the other kid walked off the mat, he looked like his shoulder was going to fall off. I’ve also seen Soldano do same thing against a few national level kids, with success. So maybe it can be successful, who knows.
Someone told me NJ.com had an article about him where they talked about his funky style. I didn’t read it, but was told it said his coaches tried to change him but he kept winning so they said what the hell, if it works it works.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I can think of a pretty successful wrestler, literally nicknamed “Funky” who graduated with 2 national championships and 2 more 2nd place finishes

He has beaten pretty much everyone at his weight nationally (hence the #1 ranking) with that style so it obviously works, he just needs to be smarter and continue to get stronger as he moves forward. Now he can still get away with mistakes because he's just so much better than everyone, but obviously that changes at the next level.

Harvey Ludington of Brick Memorial is a freshman in the finals of 175. He beat Dellagatta of St. joes. He is a special one.

Reactions: MS-RU
NJSIAA should figure out how to make states a 2 day tourney (Fri and Sat), and move it to the week before or after B1Gs.

Last edited:
Lavalle from HP has had a good tourney also for a freshman. He lost a tough one 3-1 in SV in his second match and has now won 4 straight wrestlebacks. Has a chance to still finish third. It looked like Raimo was in his corner coaching him earlier today. Seems like a solid future target for RU.

Edit. LaValle won 6 straight wrestlebacks to finish 3rd. Very impressive run.

Last edited:
Dellagatta takes 3rd beating Portillo 7-0
LaValle takes 3rd beating Oliveri 4-2 in SV
Nine takes 4th. Lost to Collins 7-0

Mullen wins his 2nd title via pinfall. Shame he didn’t wrestle the tournament last year because he would have been a lock for 4 titles

Reactions: MS-RU and brentx35
Anthony Knox gets his 1st title. Wonder how big he gets next year, maybe he runs into Nini/Tallmadge

Reactions: MS-RU
Fongaro up 6-4 heading into the 3rd. Will start on bottom.

Dellagatta takes 3rd beating Portillo 7-0
LaValle takes 3rd beating Oliveri 4-2 in SV
Nine takes 4th. Lost to Collins 7-0

Anthony Knox gets his 1st title. Wonder how big he gets next year, maybe he runs into Nini/Tallmadge
Tallmidge graduates

That Fongaro match was awesome. He looks very skilled. Whalen is no joke.

If Soldano pins in 1:23 or less, he will have won a state title with less than 6 minutes of mat time in AC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT