ADVERTISEMENT

Football LIVE THREAD: RFootball @ Northwestern

He puts too much emphasis on the elementary. The ball is the program is no big time football mentality. I get that it’s our best chance to compete but you don’t win games when your biggest goal is not turning it over and keeping penalties low which we don’t even do anymore.

His mindset in a day and age of big offense is antiquated. He hired a good staff. Put Gleeson on another team and I guarantee they score points. I big concern of Schiano was can he allow coaches to coach. Sure doesn’t seem like it.

That said whoever the OL coach is should be sent home today and told not to return.
Schiano is a control freak. I have to wonder if what you’re saying is true and he’s not letting Gleason do his job. I realize we have very few skilled offensive players but Gleason has looked like he’s gone from hot shot to chump and I can’t think that’s true.

Reactions: Boomer2828
Terrible game and I don’t think we’re very good. With that said people bailing on Greg are crazy. It’s only year 2. And let’s not forget he almost got us across the line at Michigan 3 weeks ago with this same group of players. Think about that.

Schiano is a control freak. I have to wonder if what you’re saying is true and he’s not letting Gleason do his job. I realize we have very few skilled offensive players but Gleason has looked like he’s gone from hot shot to chump and I can’t think that’s true.
I can almost guarantee that Schiano isn’t letting Gleason do his job.

coaches HATED working for greg his first go around as it was his way or the highway. Have to wonder if it still is.

Reactions: Boomer2828
Well coached teams don’t let their players get dominated in the trenches.

Greg and his team was totally outclassed today by Fitzgerald.
Your players are who they are. It’s the coaches jobs to change that narrative. They’ll argue that it takes time but patience might run out based on expectations and money spent.

We will see

He doesn’t have the horses in the trenches. You could argue who’s fault that is, but that’s the reality he’s facing.

That was painfully obvious today versus a middling B1G team.

I am in the camp that we lack a lot of talent. However, there are ways to cover that. Why don’t we cut the DEs? We should also be an excellent traditional screen team. Nothing though

Greggie always always got involved with the
offense, and some where very capable. I tell ya the man can't change.

• Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
Your players are who they are. It’s the coaches jobs to change that narrative. They’ll argue that it takes time but patience might run out based on expectations and money spent.

We will see

our players aren’t this bad though. We played Mich great…cause greg is a better coach than Harbaugh.

Wake up Greg. You're loyal to a fault with some of these players.
Couldn’t agree more! He is always saying the best players will play….clearly not true because you can look at multiple position groups and see that the best players aren’t the ones getting the game reps!

Feel bad for Avery - 2 PIs that were not PIs
Regarding Avery's second PI call, it may have been ticky tack, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it absolutely wasn't PI, based on multiple views of the play in slow motion.

The line of scrimmage was the 24.. Avery lost a step on the receiver when the two receivers crossed, and he grabbed the receiver's right jersey sleeve with his left hand and continued holding it from about the 20 yard line to the 11 yard line when he let go... From the 11 yard line on we can't see what his right hand is doing or if he's making contact with the receiver... But the QB released the ball when Avery and receiver were at about the 17 yard line, so Avery was still holding the receiver's jersey for at least 6 yards of the receiver's route when the ball was in the air... It was enough to slow up the receiver, at least a little, for about 9 or 10 yards during his route, the last 6 of which were when the ball was in the air. If that's what the ref was seeing, I think the play qualified as legitimate pass interference, at least technically.

Last edited:
Guys, as mediocre as Vedral may be, he’s by far not the biggest problem.

Until we can compete in the trenches consistently it won’t matter who the QB is.

Stop with the it’s all on Vedral nonsense.
This. We can all see that Vedral isn’t a QB who can look great when the rest of the O is playing as abysmally as ours is right now. If we had someone who could do better, they’d be playing instead.

But we don’t. Snyder was inaccurate when pressured in garbage time last week. Simon was inaccurate under pressure this week. Putting in Wimsatt before he’s ready and getting him hurt, or just making him look bad, which any QB would with no running game and no pass or run blocking, would be a monumental coaching blunder.

Reactions: BossNJ
Starts with a horrific OLine. There are no plays you can run when you can’t block. It’s that simple.
no.. it is not. QB play and playcalling for his limitations hurts the OL play. QB play is making the OL looks worse. Yes.. the OL fails at times.. all OLs fail sometimes.. but even when they give QB enough time to execute a short pattern called for the QB is slow to make read and deliver.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I can almost guarantee that Schiano isn’t letting Gleason do his job.
almost? let me FIFY..

I cannot guarantee that Schiano isn’t letting Gleason do his job.

also.. GS made coaches WORK here. visit every HS every year.. in New Jersey? that is rather demanding.. GS was/is a workaholic.. the people who supposedly hated working for him... good riddance.

but that doesn't mean GS is doing a good job right now... the end to the first half was AWFUL.. and the inability to develop or play a backup QB is criminal.

as for Gleeson... the offense and lack of it speaks for itself at this point. His genius play calls.. even when we do not execute them well.. come few and far between.. I was really excited when he came here.. but his RPO thing looks nothing like any RPO.. I think it is because the QB doesn't actually make reads pre and post-snap.. he just decides what he is going to do pre-snap.. there is no other excuse I can think of for all the cases of seeing him handoff when he should have kept it and vice-versa.

Last edited:
almost? let me FIFY..

also.. GS made coaches WORK here. visit every HS every year.. in New Jersey? that is rather demanding.. GS was/is a workaholic.. the people who supposedly hated working for him... good riddance.

but that doesn't mean GS is doing a good job right now... the end to the first half was AWFUL.. and the inability to develop or play a backup QB is criminal.

as for Gleeson... the offense and lack of it speaks for itself at this point. His genius play calls.. even when we do not execute them well.. come few and far between.. I was really excited when he came here.. but his RPO thing looks nothing like any RPO.. I think it is because the QB doesn't actually make reads pre and post-snap.. he just decides what he is going to do pre-snap.. there is no other excuse I can think of for all the cases of seeing him handoff when he should have kept it and viceversa.

I cannot guarantee that. You’re right.

I can guarantee coaches hated working for Greg. It was his way or the highway.

I’d think it’s the same now, but cannot guarantee

It’s only been 1 day after the embarrassing loss and I am sure Schiano has already viciously berated the new food guy for ordering the wrong brand of eggs…..same ‘ol coach.

Wouldn't be a call 99.99999999% of the time anywhere else
We had two of those bad calls that led to TD’s. Then we get two no calls near midfield where they were PI against us IMO. I would much rather they call the ones against us at midfield. The end zone calls on bad passes on 3rd down were killer. Having said that, we didn’t deserve to win. Neither did NW but we deserved it less.

Regarding Avery's second PI call, it may have been ticky tack, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it absolutely wasn't PI, based on multiple views of the play in slow motion.

The line of scrimmage was the 24.. Avery lost a step on the receiver when the two receivers crossed, and he grabbed the receiver's right jersey sleeve with his left hand and continued holding it from about the 20 yard line to the 11 yard line when he let go... From the 11 yard line on we can't see what his right hand is doing or if he's making contact with the receiver... But the QB released the ball when Avery and receiver were at about the 17 yard line, so Avery was still holding the receiver's jersey for at least 6 yards of the receiver's route when the ball was in the air... It was enough to slow up the receiver, at least a little, for about 9 or 10 yards during his route, the last 6 of which were when the ball was in the air. If that's what the ref was seeing, I think the play qualified as legitimate pass interference, at least technically.
But the call was PI in the endzone, that's why the ball was placed on the 2 yd line for a 1st and goal.

But the call was PI in the endzone, that's why the ball was placed on the 2 yd line for a 1st and goal.
But the ball wasn't placed at the 2 yd line.....My previous post was regarding Avery's second PI penalty. The referee clearly stated that the penalty was 15 yards from the previous spot, and the ball was then placed at the 9 yard line. First and goal from the 9.

Last edited:
And regarding my previous post that stated that Avery seemed to be holding the receiver's jersey from the 20 yard line to about the 11 yard line (and that it could have resulted in the PI call), I now realize that the resulting penalty seems to rule out the jersey grabbing contact as the cause for the interference call. (But not because the call was "PI in in the end zone" and because the ball was placed at the 2 yard line, since it wasn't.)

Based on NCAA rules on PI, since the penalty for Avery's 2nd PI call was 15 yards from the previous spot (instead of from the spot of the infraction), this means that the alleged infraction occurred more than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, and would rule out any infraction occurring between the 20 and 11 yard lines, since the original line of scrimmage was the 24.

The receiver did have trouble lifting his right arm toward the ball during the attempted catch, but the camera angle doesn't give a good view to determine if there was any illegal contact or not, since from about the 7 yard line on we can rarely see both of Trey Avery's arms at the same time, or see the area between Avery's body and the receiver's, where the players may have had contact. If there was any illegal contact, it certainly wasn't blatant. But the ref did have a different viewpoint than the tv cameras did.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT