ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the 2022 class and projecting potential commits

RealNinja

Freshman
May 19, 2020
After getting a commitment from DJ Allen, Rutgers' class stands at 13 commitments and I'm amazed at the job that this staff has been able to do and what I think they can do. Let's look at the current commits and what could come in the next couple of months.

The 13 Commitments

Gavin Wimsatt
Jacob Allen
Anthony Johnson
Amarion Brown
Samuel Brown
Kenny Fletcher
Rashad Rochelle
Taj White
Jojo Bermudez
Kwabena Asamoah
Joe De Croce
Nelson Monegro
DJ Allen

t_fe6ad4a44529415eafec8a7aaf29938d_name_t_da797c0a795746da87b8472590bf65ee_name_file_1280x720_2000_v3_1_.jpg

Let’s start at quarterback, and Rutgers has got it’s top offer at this position in Gavin Wimsatt. Wimsatt will come in and immediately compete for the starting QB job next fall and will be the only QB commit of this class.

Next at runningback, Rutgers received a commitment from its best overall recruit at the position, as Samuel Brown can do it all, from receiving, running between the tackles and running outside. With a solid runningback group, Rutgers will probably not add another back to this class.

At wide receiver, Amarion Brown, Rashad Rochelle and Jojo Bermudez make up a great class, but with only taking 2 WRs last year (Fox was moved to safety), there could be room for another receiver. Also Amarion Brown is looking to take official visits to other schools, and should he decommit, there could be a bigger need here.

There are 4 freshmen tight ends on Rutgers roster this year and unless a difference maker at the position becomes available, Rutgers would be wise to pass on taking a tight end in this class.

On the offensive line is where it gets interesting, as in normal years Rutgers would only take 2-3 in this class with the numbers it has. But there has been a big focus on improving the quality of the linemen in this class and that is evident by the 5 linemen that they have already taken. Led by local OT Jacob Allen, this looks to be a special class, with every commit having the requisite length, athleticism and size of a B1G oline. While the class is full on the oline, no team will turn away someone they project to be a solid tackle. If that player comes along, they won’t be turned down a spot.

otlcij1w8dtjbdjyq2bz

While the offensive side of recruiting is nearly complete, on defense there is still more work to be done.

Rutgers has 10 freshmen defensive linemen already on its roster, but you always recruit more athletic dlinemen, and Rutgers has. Rutgers got two very athletic EDGE players in Kenny Fletcher and DJ Allen, both have great length and lots of potential. Still could be looking to add one more here, if the right recruit comes along.

Although the linebacker position is less of a need in the modern day college football game with more and more teams looking to play with 5 defensive backs, Rutgers is doing a great job of getting quality LBs. Rutgers got a great physical LB in Anthony Johnson and has a need for one more to add to the fold.

Defensive backs are perhaps the biggest need left in Rutgers’ class. Having no commitments yet and having Patrice Rene and Tre Avery who have exhausted their eligibility after this season, Rutgers needs solid defensive backs. There’s a need for at least two defensive backs, but if the right players come along, up to 4 could be added.

2022 needs and projections

With all that said, there are about 5-7 spots remaining and mainly the guys who have already visited left on the board. Let’s see the positions of need and who could potentially fill them.

Wide Receiver (0-1)

Addison Copeland and Omari Evans are the two receivers who recently visited and there is a need for one here. With the commitment that the staff has put into Copeland and him enjoying the visit, there’s a chance that he could recommit, but I see him going the SEC route. There could be a push for an Evans commit shortly.

Projected commitment timeline: Late June - Early July for both Copeland and Omari Evans.

Offensive linemen (0-1)

There’s only one offensive linemen that the staff is recruiting and that’s Andre Roye. He ended up visiting on the weekend of June 4th and started following a lot more Rutgers coaches than he previously was. Could be good news, but with more visits to come, we will have to see if Rutgers can hold off Penn State for another OL commit, but as of now I project Roye to go elsewhere.

Projected commitment timeline: Late June - Early July

Defensive line (0-1)

Jimmy Scott has long been a top target for Rutgers and he won’t be denied a spot if he were looking to commit. By all accounts he seemed to enjoy himself and has appreciated being a priority of the Rutgers staff, and for these reasons I project him a Rutgers commit.

Projected commitment timeline: Late June - Early July

Linebacker (1)

While just taking an unofficial visit to Rutgers, Moses Walker seems to hold Rutgers in high regard. He is a priority for the staff and will be an important start to a hopeful pipeline of E-Hall players to Rutgers. He is looking to commit in early July, after a visit to Penn State, but Rutgers will likely come out on top here.

Projected commitment timeline: Early July

Defensive Back (2-4)

Let’s start with the recruit who I believe is most likely to commit in Oliver Bridges. Bridges is a 6’3'' corner, with good hips and athleticism. He recently took an OV to Rutgers and made a priority by the staff. Bridges still has an OV planned for Cincinnati, but could make a decision soon after that.

Next is another 6’3” corner in Davison Igbinosun. Igbinosun has also been made a priority by the staff, but wants to take visits to make sure that Rutgers is the place he wants to be at. If he eventually takes an OV to Rutgers, he will likely be hosted by his brother, and the OV will likely be sometime in late June. Florida State could provide a challenge in Rutgers pursuit for a commitment as he has taken an unofficial visit there. Still, Rutgers has a lot of positives going for it in this recruitment, and thus I project he will end up at Rutgers.

Jaiven Plummer is another 6’3” defensive back, but he projects more as a safety. He was a guy who Rutgers was in on early and has stayed on, signaling he too is a priority. We will have to see if playing WR and on the west coast is his priority as he has OVs to both Stanford and California. There’s a good chance this also ends up in Rutgers' way, as they have been recruiting him hard throughout, and I project he commits also.

Jayden Bellamy has all the tools to be a very good corner, but he is taking a lot of OVs to big time schools. He did take an unofficial to Rutgers and we have to wait and see if anything comes from that. The longer this goes, the better for Rutgers, as schools will fill up their spots. There will always be a spot open for Bellamy, but I’m in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” group with Bellamy, as it relates to him coming to Rutgers.

Projected commitment timeline: Mid - Late June for Bridges; Early - Mid July for Igbinosun, Bellamy and Plummer.

Projected new commits:
Omari Evans
Jimmy Scott
Moses Walker
Oliver Bridges
Davison Igbinosun
Jaiven Plummer

Building something special
r

Let's take a second and just realize how special this class is. In the three recruiting classes that Greg Schiano has been a part of in his second stint, the 2022 commits at every position would be the best in 2020 and 2021 also. Wimsatt is the best ranked QB commit from 2020-22 classes, Allen the best OL, Johnson the best LB, Samuel Brown the best RB, Amarion Brown the best WR, and Fletcher the best EDGE. That’s what you call raising the talent level and raising the bar.

And it’s obvious the bar is raised. When your two lowest rated commits are 6’7” uber athletic and high potential linemen you are doing something right. When your team is bigger and faster, you're on the right track. The future is very bright here and it’s being built the right way. I look forward to July and seeing this team take off in the near future.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News