ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Forward To New Lax Poll!!!

I wish LAX was in Middletown when i was in HS in the early 90`s. The sport kicks ass. My 10 year old daughter is in her second year and I just spent 7 hours at a tourney in Jackson Saturday! Thought id want to die being there all day especially with so much on the "to do list" but it was damn fun. And HUUUUUGE. Over one hundred teams there.

The only thing growing faster than boy's lacrosse in America is girls lacrosse.

If you are an athlete, there aren't too many games better than lacrosse. It encompasses the physicality of football, the speed and skill of soccer and ice hockey and a lot of similar concepts of basketball. I am biased, but after playing baseball and lacrosse as a kid, and basketball my whole life until college, lacrosse was easily the funniest to play. Baseball was the worst. There were two years of my childhood I played both and dreaded putting on those pajamas every time after I experienced lax.

The only thing growing faster than boy's lacrosse in America is girls lacrosse.

If you are an athlete, there aren't too many games better than lacrosse. It encompasses the physicality of football, the speed and skill of soccer and ice hockey and a lot of similar concepts of basketball. I am biased, but after playing baseball and lacrosse as a kid, and basketball my whole life until college, lacrosse was easily the funniest to play. Baseball was the worst. There were two years of my childhood I played both and dreaded putting on those pajamas every time after I experienced lax.

Just drove by the field in Hoboken probably 50 girls, ages 10-17 I guess, out there practicing.

Standing around in April in the northeast for a little league game with 15 walks...I am amazed lax isn't actually growing faster.

Baseball will ALWAYS have its place, regardless of anything else, it's not "dying" quite the way some want to think it is (and I'm a lax fan as well...). It's a sport that means so much to families, especially fathers-and-sons, that kids are always going to be playing.

I wouldn't agree with that. Baseball participation rates between 08 to 12 declined more than 7% at the youth level. I can't imagine that trend has reversed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alicia-jessop/youth-baseball-participation_b_5702009.html

During that same time frame, lacrosse participation has grown more than 150%.

It won't happen overnight, but there a lot of people that have zero interest in baseball as time goes on. I know a lot of people like myself who have no interest in going to a baseball game with kids or otherwise.

This isn't hyperbole and I realize people go to Dodgers games for instance, but it has been years since I have actually heard someone say they are going to a game.

Baseball just isn't America's pastime anymore, and it might take a few generations, but it is going to continue to decline, imo. It's just too slow of a game, especially for the "everything now" generations.

Reactions: ruready07
I wouldn't agree with that. Baseball participation rates between 08 to 12 declined more than 7% at the youth level. I can't imagine that trend has reversed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alicia-jessop/youth-baseball-participation_b_5702009.html

During that same time frame, lacrosse participation has grown more than 150%.

It won't happen overnight, but there a lot of people that have zero interest in baseball as time goes on. I know a lot of people like myself who have no interest in going to a baseball game with kids or otherwise.

This isn't hyperbole and I realize people go to Dodgers games for instance, but it has been years since I have actually heard someone say they are going to a game.

Baseball just isn't America's pastime anymore, and it might take a few generations, but it is going to continue to decline, imo. It's just too slow of a game, especially for the "everything now" generations.
The game was fast in my day. Line drive hitters, low on the strike outs. Hit & run, squeezes, stealing home, plenty of triples, bigger ball parks[deeper], great bench jockeying,etc. It was also a harder game, by that I mean harder slides, harder tags, brushback & knockdown pitches. Whole different style of play. There is some indication it may just be creeping back to that style, ie, Kansas City's running game, Elsbury stealing home,etc. If it doesn't, I agree, it will decline among the young. Today's MLB game is like watching paint dry. And this from a guy who played 4 yrs of college ball & 15 yrs of semi-pro ball in the 50's, 60's & early 70's, as well as coached and managed. Loved the game. Now can't watch a full inning on TV. Slow, boring, & fundamentally abominable. Incidentally, Rutgers plays a very fast, exciting brand of baseball. Very aggressive on the base paths. Up tempo all around. Fundamentally sound.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT