ADVERTISEMENT

Mag to BYU

What’s wrong with playing in Utah in an historically better program than Rutgers, and as you put it, LOL ?

Definitely nothing. However, BYU isn’t mainstream University of Utah. From a social life perspective it’s undoubtedly a lifestyle change to attend college where 98% of the student body follows the strict rules of the Mormon faith (no alcohol, coffee, etc.). Not everyone would make this choice, regardless of NIL considerations.

My point was, the poster was clearly condescending and critical of Mag’s destination. Mag’s transfer preferences and values are his own business and not for others to judge, and certainly not disparage.

Even more tone def is being oblivious to the fact that program-wise BYU, and Utah too for that matter, are historically more successful programs.

My point was, the poster was clearly condescending and critical of Mag’s destination. Mag’s transfer preferences and values are his own business and not for others to judge, and certainly not disparage.

Even more tone def is being oblivious to the fact that program-wise BYU, and Utah too for that matter, are historically more successful programs.

I didn’t take it that way. The poster wasn’t being condescending to the basketball program. And I don’t think it was intended as derogatory towards “Utah” either. Look - maybe Mag is Mormon and we don’t know it, but he probably would’ve taken a year off at some point for a mission if so, right? From my limited knowledge of that faith I believe that would’ve happened already. 9 players on BYU’s team last year had completed year long missions. 98% of the school is Mormon. As said - it’s a bit of an odd choice for someone not part of the faith. I believe that was all that was intended by the post. Living a Momon lifestyle is definitely a commitment.

I didn’t take it that way. The poster wasn’t being condescending to the basketball program. And I don’t think it was intended as derogatory towards “Utah” either. Look - maybe Mag is Mormon and we don’t know it, but he probably would’ve taken a year off at some point for a mission if so, right? From my limited knowledge of that faith I believe that would’ve happened already. 9 players on BYU’s team last year had completed year long missions. 98% of the school is Mormon. As said - it’s a bit of an odd choice for someone not part of the faith. I believe that was all that was intended by the post. Living a Momon lifestyle is definitely a commitment.
How else can you interpret ‘playing out in Utah, LOL’?

How else can you interpret ‘playing out in Utah, LOL’?

I shouldn’t speak for whoever posted that. As I said, I took “out in Utah” to mean “Mormon community” which is a reasonable observation to have since 98% of the school is Mormon and most (though not all) of BYU’s athletes observe. In the world of NIL, playing ball is now a job, so perhaps the college campus experience is no longer as big a factor, but it’s not an unreasonable observation to make. Upper class undergraduates are finally of legal drinking age - not everyone would chose to attend school in a place where there is limited to no bar scene because 98% of the student body doesn’t drink.

regarding last point below, based on this past season there will be ZERO ISSUES with Mag on Sunday game days avoiding working

• Tithing: Mormons are expected to donate 10% of their annual interest to the church.
  • Health: Mormons follow a strict healthy lifestyle that includes fasting, avoiding alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea, and eating seasonally.
  • Clothing: Mormons wear special undergarments with religious significance.
  • Family: Mormons value family life and may share conversion stories, or how they were inspired to choose their spouse, during meetings.
  • Service: Mormons participate in lay leadership, minister to other members, and do missionary work.
  • Sabbath: Mormons try to avoid working on Sundays.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
I shouldn’t speak for whoever posted that. As I said, I took “out in Utah” to mean “Mormon community” which is a reasonable observation to have since 98% of the school is Mormon and most (though not all) of BYU’s athletes observe. In the world of NIL, playing ball is now a job, so perhaps the college campus experience is no longer as big a factor, but it’s not an unreasonable observation to make. Upper class undergraduates are finally of legal drinking age - not everyone would chose to attend school in a place where there is limited to no bar scene because 98% of the student body doesn’t drink.
A stretch. He never mentions or insinuates religion, and again, his values don’t matter to Mag’s life. It was clear disparagement of Utah/BYU and Mag’s basketball endeavors.

regarding last point below, based on this past season there will be ZERO ISSUES with Mag on Sunday game days avoiding working

• Tithing: Mormons are expected to donate 10% of their annual interest to the church.
  • Health: Mormons follow a strict healthy lifestyle that includes fasting, avoiding alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea, and eating seasonally.
  • Clothing: Mormons wear special undergarments with religious significance.
  • Family: Mormons value family life and may share conversion stories, or how they were inspired to choose their spouse, during meetings.
  • Service: Mormons participate in lay leadership, minister to other members, and do missionary work.
  • Sabbath: Mormons try to avoid working on Sundays.
Yes - and because of the large population there, many folks think of Utah as the Mormon state and BYU a Mormon school (again it’s 98% of the student body).

A stretch. He never mentions or insinuates religion, and again, his values don’t matter to Mag’s life. It was clear disparagement of Utah/BYU and Mag’s basketball endeavors.
I didn’t see a reference to basketball in that post at all. See my post above. Utah is known for being a Mormon state and BYU is a Mormon school. Toby highlighted some of the attributes of Mormon lifestyle that set it apart. It’s not meant at all to be derogatory. Look - I’m sure many of us would feel a lot healthier if we made those choices. It’s a big commitment though, and not everyone is willing to do it. “Out in Utah” can and likely was intended in the context of that. Which isn’t derogatory at all.

I didn’t see a reference to basketball in that post at all. See my post above. Utah is known for being a Mormon state and BYU is a Mormon school. Toby highlighted some of the attributes of Mormon lifestyle that set it apart. It’s not meant at all to be derogatory. Look - I’m sure many of us would feel a lot healthier if we made those choices. It’s a big commitment though, and not everyone is willing to do it. “Out in Utah” can and likely was intended in the context of that. Which isn’t derogatory at all.
Not Toby. I’ve been referring to the post by RutgersClassof2004. Did you see his quote I cited?

Last edited:
BYU Honor Code:
  • Maintain an Ecclesiastical Endorsement, including striving to deepen faith and maintain gospel standards
  • Be honest
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life, including abstaining from sexual relations outside marriage between a man and a woman. Living a chaste and virtuous life also includes abstaining from same-sex romantic behavior.
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, vaping, marijuana, and other substance abuse
  • Participate regularly in Church services
  • Respect others, including the avoidance of profane and vulgar language

Not Toby. I’ve been referring to the post by RutgersClassof2004. Did you see his quote I cited?
I thought so. I just went back and looked at it and the reference to Utah actually seems even more neutral than I originally thought.

The guy said he called Mag a quitter and called someone’s bluff who predicted Mag would be an integral part of the 2024-25 season for us. The poster then says - see I’m right, not only is he not going to be a big part of our team - he’s playing all the way out in Utah (meaning - very far away from NJ). Seems like he’s just saying “my prediction was right” no? I.e. that Mag not only wont play a big role for us, but he’s playing on the other side of the country. There’s nothing in there about our program being superior to BYU’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT