ADVERTISEMENT

Mario really

And on the other side of the coin why are you and a handful of people not in favor of Mstio.

Because he has presence. Young, tall, fit, fiery, guy that has a voice that projects.
I have had one on one conversations with both kyle and Mario. Every time I spoke to kyle I would leave saying I like kyle. Every time I would speak football with Mario I would get excited about football. Kids would want to play for him.

Last edited:
Because he has presence. Young, tall, fit, fiery, guy that has a voice that projects.
I have had one on one conversations with both kyle and Mario. Every time I spoke to kyle I would leave saying I like kyle. Every time I would speak football with Mario I would get excited about football. Kids would want to play for him.

Talk is cheap. Results matter. Opening of that video said 18 starters back. How did that work out?
3-9 in 2012. Including a 48-20 shellacing by Louisiana Lafayette (who?) and getting clobbered by a mediocre Duke 46-26. I thought we did not like blowout losses?

FIU he had high school facilities to recruit with.. Look it is a crapshoot. I thought Mike Rice was a good hire and look how they worked out.

Seems like Mario is up there on most people's lists. I guess I look at the warning signs. He clearly did a great job quickly building FIU from the dumpster into a bowl team. But he then goes 3-9 and his successor, with Mario's players, goes 1-11 the following year. Thats losing a program, type stuff.

Being a top recruiter in a talent pool like South Florida, in the fifth year where the roster was all his, you would think he'd find a way to beat one of:

Louisian Ragin Cajun's
Arkansas State
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky
ULM Warhawks

But they lost them all. The following year, his roster was getting thumped by the likes of Bethune-Cookman and everyone else they played..

So what gives? What happened down there with all of that talent he was bringing in vs. a nothing schedule, that they just collapsed?

Isn't it something we should be concerned with? The fact he's not an OC or a DC...in this conference? I get he's a guy you just want to get behind because of the charisma but it's also about intellect and generally, the smartest guys come through the coordinator route. Charisma isn't going to get it done at Rutgers by itself.

The normal trajectory for a coach that ends up in this conference is two successful HC jobs at the lower levels. He didn't make it to step two and because of that, he's a risk for someone with less money and less options than Rutgers.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead

Sorry, but this video did not make me excited about football. At all. Either did the other one.

Talk is cheap. Results matter. Opening of that video said 18 starters back. How did that work out?
3-9 in 2012. Including a 48-20 shellacing by Louisiana Lafayette (who?) and getting clobbered by a mediocre Duke 46-26.

Did you know who FIU was before he took the job? Situations matter too

Cristobol and Hobbs. Wow. We had have the most charismatic, well-spoken HC and AD combo in the country. Never mind that neither would be any good at their actual jobs. Cristobol's team, with his own recruits, completely collapsed. It literally would have been equivalent to Schiano following up 2006 with 3-9 and 1-11 seasons.

That Cristobol is even being considered as a candidate for Rutgers HC is mind boggling. He isn't being considered for any other opening.

Thankfully, I know better, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
Al, you know Mario, what happened down in Florida when that program collapsed? My guess is he lost a great coordinator after the 2011 season, like Flood losing the Fridge. He went from Scott Satterfield at OC to Tim Cramsey. Satterfield is now a Head Coach while Cramsey is OC at Montana State.

It's too hard to be trying to nail it with both coordinators evry other year. We've done this. Yes, Mario's charisma is five times what we've had but in the end, it's about the schemes as much as anything and it just seems like we'll be in the same boat, again.

Last edited:
These are the same people who blame the QB (on a run first team - who had a 21 point lead) for a 46-41 loss. I've given up trying to understand.
Didn't see where anybody blamed Laviano for the Maryland loss! Where did you come up with that?
As far as the booing it had everything to do with Flood, including how he handled the QB situation thruout the year.
Get a clue

Here's the issue-there is a 95% chance that the person we get is at Christobal's level. "Lets get Les Miles"..."Lets get Mark Richt"..really? Please come to Earth, and if you don't like Mario then suggest a name just like him-Robb Smith, Mark Whipple, Todd Grantham, people like that. Mario is being mentioned because he is one of the top choices for our REALISTIC list.

Reactions: rurichdog
Here's the issue-there is a 95% chance that the person we get is at Christobal's level. "Lets get Les Miles"..."Lets get Mark Richt"..really? Please come to Earth, and if you don't like Mario then suggest a name just like him-Robb Smith, Mark Whipple, Todd Grantham, people like that. Mario is being mentioned because he is one of the top choices for our REALISTIC list.
Diaco or Babers.

I would like rhule. The way he is with his players is something special. I like the way he coaches.

You've been posting this with pretty high frequency. As I see i, your position is that Rutgers cannot afford anyone with any kind of resume, and/or that no one will come here to coach because the school is dysfunctional. Even by suggesting Cristobol, I think you are being more generous than you were in some of the early coach threads. IIRC, you thought Fleck, Frost and Campbell were unattainable, but their hires seem to indicate otherwise.

I understand your position, but there is no evidence as to what Rutgers is willing to spend one way or the other. Recently, there seems to be a lot of momentum towards fixing this issue once and for all, and the only way you do that is by hiring a proven commodity. What I do think is clear, is that if Rutgers is willing to spend, a great coach will take the job. All the nonsense about facilities and support is just noise. If you pay up, the coach will take the job.

They are saying they want to be competitive in the Big Ten, and that they understand its about wins and losses. They said that money will not prevent them from hiring a good coach. If you look at the division we are in, just about anybody other than a proven name is going to be doing a lot of losing.

I like him because he is young and exciting. Kids buy into that. Emotion is a good thing and I have said for a while now that KF never showed any.

FIU is a very tough job it is commuter school and he took over a 0-12 team. Went to two bowl games and recruited well especially for that school. He also played a tough OOC schedule even gave RU all they could handle. Then you add three years at Bama learning what they do and recruiting 4 and 5 star kids

When you have to complement a coach's resume by saying "he's tall and fiery," he has a lackluster resume.

how bout, he led his college football team to a National Championship as a player, he was the GA for another National Championship caliber team which was robbed by the computers in 2000. He helped Schiano turn around Rutgers, he built a program from scratch and obtained excellent results for that program. and he subsequently has been working for Nick Saban, regarded as one of the best coaches in college football, and has recruited and developed the best offensive line in college football.

I'd say thats one hell of a resume and probably as good a candidate as we're going to get.

how bout, he led his college football team to a National Championship as a player, he was the GA for another National Championship caliber team which was robbed by the computers in 2000. He helped Schiano turn around Rutgers, he built a program from scratch and obtained excellent results for that program. and he subsequently has been working for Nick Saban, regarded as one of the best coaches in college football, and has recruited and developed the best offensive line in college football.

I'd say thats one hell of a resume and probably as good a candidate as we're going to get.
Rutgersal said it pretty well actually. I guess I wouldn't be to upset with him. But he's gotta recruit like crazy

Al, you know Mario, what happened down in Florida when that program collapsed? My guess is he lost a great coordinator after the 2011 season, like Flood losing the Fridge. He went from Scott Satterfield at OC to Tim Cramsey. Satterfield is now a Head Coach while Cramsey is OC at Montana State.

It's too hard to be trying to nail it with both coordinators evry other year. We've done this. Yes, Mario's charisma is five times what we've had but in the end, it's about the schemes as much as anything and it just seems like we'll be in the same boat, again.

I would liken FIU to Livingston or Rutgers Newark. Its a very, very, diverse campus, and its hard to get players there. when he started, they had no stadium, no weight room, and not much else. the previous coach was Don Strock and he went 0-11. despite these limitations, Mario convinced TY Hilton to come to FIU and he ultimately was the catalyst for turning things around. Hilton was drafted in 2012, which was a rebuilding year, which is why the team struggled, and Mario was fired after that year. during his time there, though, he won a conference championship, which i found to be miraculous, given how they have so little to offer. and he also got a modest stadium built and had a modest weight room built.

Mario could get James Coley to be our OC, who is also regarded as a strong recruiter. Coley, who previously worked under Mario, recruited Matias, from Hudson County, to FSU which broke my and many others hearts. Between Coley and Mario, we would shut down Hudson County, NJ to PSU. Then we would work on walling off the rest of the state. Coley was al goldens OC, and is still with Miami, but i'm sure he would jump, as his status is tenuous at best, thx to goldens firing. as far as DC. Mario belongs to a large network of players who have produced good coordinators, which i'm sure he'd rely on, to hire a good dc. would love it though if he could get rob smith.

That's a good sell for Cristobal. I just thought it was funny that the first piece of support in this thread was that Cristobal was tall and fiery. I don't necessarily think Cristobal is a bad option, I just see him as a distant third behind Babers and Rhule. Honestly, as long as we stay away from Golden i'll be content.

What we don't need is another guy to take a small time operation and make it bigger. We've already had that. We need someone to make serious inroads in recruiting and make some waves with big wins.

What we don't need is another guy to take a small time operation and make it bigger. We've already had that. We need someone to make serious inroads in recruiting and make some waves with big wins.

this is about hiring a young, hungry staff, willing to roll their sleeves up, and make a name for themselves. this is a guy who can recruit at the highest level, so that we can land the talent to be more competitive in the big 10. Look at the bemouths he has at alabama. he'd recruit guys like this to put the power back in our power running game. this is what we need more of:

11497815.jpeg

this is about hiring a young, hungry staff, willing to roll their sleeves up, and make a name for themselves. this is a guy who can recruit at the highest level, so that we can land the talent to be more competitive in the big 10. Look at the bemouths he has at alabama. he'd recruit guys like this to put the power back in our power running game. this is what we need more of:

11497815.jpeg

It's real easy to be a top recruiter with Saban and the army of Alabama bag men closing the deal.

I would liken FIU to Livingston or Rutgers Newark. Its a very, very, diverse campus, and its hard to get players there. when he started, they had no stadium, no weight room, and not much else. the previous coach was Don Strock and he went 0-11. despite these limitations, Mario convinced TY Hilton to come to FIU and he ultimately was the catalyst for turning things around. Hilton was drafted in 2012, which was a rebuilding year, which is why the team struggled, and Mario was fired after that year. during his time there, though, he won a conference championship, which i found to be miraculous, given how they have so little to offer. and he also got a modest stadium built and had a modest weight room built.

Mario could get James Coley to be our OC, who is also regarded as a strong recruiter. Coley, who previously worked under Mario, recruited Matias, from Hudson County, to FSU which broke my and many others hearts. Between Coley and Mario, we would shut down Hudson County, NJ to PSU. Then we would work on walling off the rest of the state. Coley was al goldens OC, and is still with Miami, but i'm sure he would jump, as his status is tenuous at best, thx to goldens firing. as far as DC. Mario belongs to a large network of players who have produced good coordinators, which i'm sure he'd rely on, to hire a good dc. would love it though if he could get rob smith.
Thanks, Al. You made me feel better about the potential hire. Guess we'll see how it all plays out.

Reactions: rutgersal
It's real easy to be a top recruiter with Saban and the army of Alabama bag men closing the deal.

not when you're going up Auburn and their bagmen, Tennessee and their bagmen, OSU and their bagmen, LSU and their bagmen, Texas and their bagmen, and USC and their bagmen. Tuscaloosa isn't exactly the nicest place to live but they sure revere their football. Mario is able to recruit guys because he can sell, just as when he sold recruits on Rutgers, FIU, and Miami previously.

The bagmen comments above are stupid as is Al's reference to Tuscaloosa. New Brunswick should be half as nice. UA is a beautiful school and Tuscaloosa is a great college town. Also stupid is the bagmen comments about USC.

He'll be able to recruit South FL talent for you guys but he has never called a play in his life or coordinated a Defense. He's essentially an enthusiastic cheerleader that will be overly reliant on keeping quality coordinators

The only situations that matter are year 5 (or was it 6) with 18 returning starters, he went 3-9. The year after, with his recruits, they went 1-11. No thanks.
Amazing how excuses are acceptable for potential hires, but former coaches were not allowed any excuses.

Uh, I wasn't making excuses for him. I've seen people throwing out his record without thinking twice that FIU didn't even have a football team a decade before Mario got there. To me, that's a relatively difficult situation -- similar to why I give Schiano credit for turning around Rutgers. RU during Shea was WORSE than a start-up team. It was a team whose reputation was seriously injured. At least a start-up program had a built-in excuse for sucking.

I've said all along I hope Rutgers gets an established coach. I think everyone would prefer an established coach with a winning record, but I also recognize that not every successful coach began as a success. Smart programs look behind the numbers. Sometimes they find something, many times they don't. But there is a reason why coaches in college AND the NFL usually get hired for a second or third time even when they weren't very successful in their last coaching stint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT