ADVERTISEMENT

Martice Mitchell

I watched Mitchell yesterday. Very good shooting touch. A stretch four. Handles well for 6-10. Very very skinny. Will obviously need strength. Didn’t rebound much. Has a high ceiling if he gains strength.

More and more interest from schools. Illinois is pursuing Ryan Kalkbrenner hard. Ranked in top 70 and best shot blocker in Summer play. But I know they are getting more interested in Mitchell. Illinois has been aware of him for quite awhile, too, but haven’t offered.

Mitchell speaks highly of Rutgers. If he chooses early, Rutgers is the favorite, IMO. If he waits and gets more and more offers, it becomes a crapshoot.

I heard Oregon was his dream school and they showed some interest but that was a while ago before they landed some other players. Any info on that at all?

LC, I remember as a kid trying to watch any game so I could find a Rutgers player and it was pretty much only Deron Cherry and Bill Pickel. Now if we get to 20 in the NFL, it is an off year.

Reactions: RUtix4me and LC-88
LC, I remember as a kid trying to watch any game so I could find a Rutgers player and it was pretty much only Deron Cherry and Bill Pickel. Now if we get to 20 in the NFL, it is an off year.

Guess we've strung together a lot of off years. Been a long time since we've had 20 in the NFL.

It’s starting. Maryland just offered Mitchell. They had a coach at the event in Champaign where I saw Mitchell for the first time.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
RUChoppin, it has not been a long time since we had twenty in the NFL. I realize some guys may get cut by the opener, but right now, according to scarlet knights.com, we have 26 in the NFL. Some years at the opener, we have been in the high 20’s.I could not tell you how many we have had on opening day for the last ten years or so, but it would be the exception to have dipped under 20. We also have some players currently in the CFL.

So that's Xavier, Minnesota and Maryland in the past two days. He must be playing well in Champaign

The only question I saw on Twitter this was whether or not the competition at some of the various NCAA run camps, was considered good enough or would these camps attract enough high level players. That doesn't appear to be a deterrent.

RUChoppin, it has not been a long time since we had twenty in the NFL. I realize some guys may get cut by the opener, but right now, according to scarlet knights.com, we have 26 in the NFL. Some years at the opener, we have been in the high 20’s.I could not tell you how many we have had on opening day for the last ten years or so, but it would be the exception to have dipped under 20. We also have some players currently in the CFL.

Went back and checked before I posted that.... there weren't more than 17 on the opening week rosters back through 2013.

The only question I saw on Twitter this was whether or not the competition at some of the various NCAA run camps, was considered good enough or would these camps attract enough high level players. That doesn't appear to be a deterrent.
I believe these NCAA Academies feature a combination of games as well as skill sessions. I know some coaches who were more interested in seeing the skill sessions than the games.

I've heard that the competition is not that great. Lots of LM & D2 kids at some locations (Champagin being one) & quite a few kids were no shows.

Choppin, not saying you are lying, but I know we have had seasons with more than that and one season stands out where we were in the high twenties. Too lazy to go back through the last decade and check , but I am pretty darn sure. And yes, I am including guys that were on the practice squads.

I've got questions.
He is under ranked based on what?

140-160 is high three-star? How many prospects are you ranking? 200?
I'll take a stab at it... Under ranked based on not being ranked on Rivals and being 295 on TOS.

140-160 could be high 3... I mean the 120th player is ranked a 4 star so 20 spots from a 4 should be high 3 range

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
I'll take a stab at it... Under ranked based on not being ranked on Rivals and being 295 on TOS.

140-160 could be high 3... I mean the 120th player is ranked a 4 star so 20 spots from a 4 should be high 3 range
Just because someone is not ranked or ranked 295 doesn't mean they are under ranked. More likely it means that when the rankings were last updated the prospect hadn't performed well enough to be ranked higher. Some kids get better over time and sometimes they get better over a period of three or four months.

For example, between MLK Day and Easter weekend 2014 I watched Tacko Fall go from a kid who couldn't catch a simple entry pass cleanly to a kid who was a legit mid-major prospect.

I'll give you your second point. I personally don't believe we should give four-stars to anyone ranked outside of the top-100.

As for Mitchell, he has had a good July and might get ranked in our next update. He gets pushed around on the glass and struggles to score in traffic or through contact too much for me.

However, I think his upside is pretty good.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Russ - I agree with your Top 100 statement. Players under the top 100 should want to earn a 4th star and work towards it.

Just because someone is not ranked or ranked 295 doesn't mean they are under ranked. More likely it means that when the rankings were last updated the prospect hadn't performed well enough to be ranked higher. Some kids get better over time and sometimes they get better over a period of three or four months.

For example, between MLK Day and Easter weekend 2014 I watched Tacko Fall go from a kid who couldn't catch a simple entry pass cleanly to a kid who was a legit mid-major prospect.

I'll give you your second point. I personally don't believe we should give four-stars to anyone ranked outside of the top-100.

As for Mitchell, he has had a good July and might get ranked in our next update. He gets pushed around on the glass and struggles to score in traffic or through contact too much for me.

However, I think his upside is pretty good.
From the little I've seen he seems a little soft, and just bulking a kid up doesn't necessarily make him tougher. That would be my concern. With limited basketball scholarships I think I would wait for better even if it meant losing him.

From the little I've seen he seems a little soft, and just bulking a kid up doesn't necessarily make him tougher. That would be my concern. With limited basketball scholarships I think I would wait for better even if it meant losing him.
There are a couple of schools that have offered him that was not offered him if he was soft. But I do understand where you get the impression that he is

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT