ADVERTISEMENT

55 Years Ago Today in Rutgers Football History

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
In Super Bowl III on January 12, 1969, the AFL Champion New York Jets played the heavily favored NFL Champion Baltimore Colts at the Orange Bowl in Miami. During the first quarter, a sketchy catch-and-fumble turnover call gave the Colts the ball deep in Jets territory. The Colts faced a third and three from the New York six yard line. Quarterback Earl Morrall threw an end zone pass that was deflected by the Jets Al Atkinson into the shoulder pad of the Colts intended receiver. The ball popped high into the air and was caught and intercepted by Randy Beverly in the end zone to keep the game scoreless. The intended receiver was Tom Mitchell. Mitchell began his career with the 1966 Oakland Raiders, played for the Colts from 1968-73 and finished with the San Francisco 49ers in 1977. He passed away in 2017 but he had a daughter, Christina, born in 1968. She married and has four children. Her husband is the two-time head coach of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights - Greg Schiano.

Here''s NBC-TV's coverage of the entire Super Bowl III. The play above is at the 35 minute, :30 second mark. It's also fun listening to the whole game. The Jets one shining moment!

XXX----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW5GnZCxqIw&ab_channel=NFL

I actually remember reading about this but thanks for bringing it up again. You’re the best. I was in 4th grade for that game and bet my 4th grade teacher a quarter straight up that the Jets would win, despite them being a 17 point underdog. My first bet and first win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT