ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Game

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
It's officially Maryland week. Might as well get it started.

Obviously this is a huge game for us. We need to win two of the next three games and this is our best opportunity to get a win. Maryland is top 5 in every measurement and is a already a tournament lock. They are playing for a top seed, and of course another B1G regular season championship.

Things I like going into this game:

1) Our defense has been playing stingy lately outside of a couple of lapses. Our faceoff game has been more than serviceable and it will need to be as good as possible. Maryland has the best fogo in the country

2) Health- Cameron in particular. I was surprised at how well he was moving against Michigan. Hopefully another week puts him in an even better spot.

3) At home. SHI magic is a real thing

4) Alumni Day- There will be a ton of alums there and the team feeds off of that

5) We need this more than Maryland

6) They been proven to be beatable

Things I don't like

1) It's Maryland. Well coached and great talent

2) They are getting roasted in the lax community for glove gate. That can be used as fuel

3) Their close D guys haven't been playing up to their level but they are all studs. 3 lock down defenders.
4) Their D mids are studs, though the FB player who is playing lacrosse, a stud in his own right, seemed hobbled against OSU. Let's hope he doesn't heal too quickly.

This game is going to be a war. Maryland is coming off of another away game out to the midwest, now has to come up to NJ. We know that isn't easy.

I haven't seen the lines yet but it wouldn't shock me at all if this was a pick em.

Things that concern me heading into the MD game.

-Teams that have beaten or played MD well really share the ball and assist on goals. RU seems to look for the shot 1st rather than the assist. Can RU get 50% of their goals assisted.
-2nd pole. #29 is a beast off the ground and he’s logging lots of minutes. RU is now on the 3rd pole backing up Rall. Should they move #32 back up and keep last years rotation that got them to the Final 4?
-Goalie, RU has a good goalie problem, they have depth! But whoever they roll with needs to make a great stop early and stay hot! Assuming that #50 will be that guy
-Faceoff, #91 is having a great year and seems to have improved his game vs. last year. Can he match MDs faceoff guy?

That’s it. RU is clicking otherwise and I believe the couple set backs were disappointing but somewhat a positive. I’m sure the boys know what’s at stake.

Reactions: Wagram97
Emergence of Kim could be a huge plus as well. Big body, really seems to have found that groove with scoring, and for that great Knobloch goal in OT, it was Kim setting the pick. Sure Maryland now needs to take some extra time they might not have game planning for him.

Things that concern me heading into the MD game.

-Teams that have beaten or played MD well really share the ball and assist on goals. RU seems to look for the shot 1st rather than the assist. Can RU get 50% of their goals assisted.
-2nd pole. #29 is a beast off the ground and he’s logging lots of minutes. RU is now on the 3rd pole backing up Rall. Should they move #32 back up and keep last years rotation that got them to the Final 4?
-Goalie, RU has a good goalie problem, they have depth! But whoever they roll with needs to make a great stop early and stay hot! Assuming that #50 will be that guy
-Faceoff, #91 is having a great year and seems to have improved his game vs. last year. Can he match MDs faceoff guy?

That’s it. RU is clicking otherwise and I believe the couple set backs were disappointing but somewhat a positive. I’m sure the boys know what’s at stake.

Regarding point 1, that's most any sport with a ball and a goal. Shoot first then pass. Key is ball movement making the defense move to get guys in position to have space to go one on one. When we are moving that ball well, that's the goal. I'd take Knobloch in space all day over a ball movement offense that force feeds the crease.

There isn't a goalie issue. Mullins is the guy. Last time I checked he was over 50% which is what we will need. Same at the x. Maryland's fogo is the best in the country but isn't winning at the clip he did last year which was just a joke. Dugenio is having a better year. Can he keep it close to 50%? It will be something to watch.

I expect to see Neumann for a different look at times.

Reactions: Wagram97
Emergence of Kim could be a huge plus as well. Big body, really seems to have found that groove with scoring, and for that great Knobloch goal in OT, it was Kim setting the pick. Sure Maryland now needs to take some extra time they might not have game planning for him.

With the attention Knobloch gets, Kim is going to get some room and space. If he can continue to shoot well it's going to pay big dividends.

He's a big kid and can move and should be able to get his hands free. Let's hope his shooting percentage continues to rise.

Our midfielders are going to have to have a day. Their close guys are really, really good. We also need to finish opportunities. Kulas specifically needs to finish better. He was great at the start and middle of the year but he's been missing lately. If he isn't finishing then we need to put someone else in. We lose a lot of carry ability when he is in. He needs to finish his opportunities. That's why he's out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT