ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St game thread

In lacrosse terms yes, but I was referring to general athletic history which unfortunately we lag these three by a large margin. These are schools that already know how to win and that it is going to cost a lot of money to do so.

Those schools get HUGE in-state support, and not just from alumni.

There are a lot of sheep that follow those schools…with the help of the media bias…its been going on for years
Things may be different today now that most shopping is done online, but in the days of brick and mortar there was a strong retail bias fueled by the media bias. If you went to a sporting goods store in the 80s/90s/00s in NJ and shopped the hat section it would be all OSU, MICH, UNC, DUKE, UCLA, FSU, UNLV, Georgetown, Villanova, and some of the other names germane to athletic success at that time.

Sadly, I can remember being genuinely surprised when I would come across Rutgers gear.

Rutgers lack of impactful marketing for decades has us climbing a steep hill but I think we are making progress and there is an incredible amount of potential in money and talent in the area that we need to build ties with.

I am ambivalent in my assessment of Schiano as a coach but I think he knows how to sell and his use of the block R to market the program has been awesome!

Reactions: dconifer
Our lacrosse program has proven it can win at this level. It’s all about continuing to fund it at peer levels which I agree we need to do. The administration has toured these other schools. They know.

Reactions: Wagram97
I think your last sentence speaks closer to reality…

There are a number of other programs that do much “less” with more…I’d argue that UNC and Ohio State have more resources, better stadiums, more advantages…yet they underperform more than they meet expectations…yes UNC took a 6-6 team 8-9 years ago and got hot in May and won a natty, but that school recruits itself, has a spectacular stadium, is a fantastic school in warm weather…its exponentially easier to win at UNC then it is at Rutgers…but UNC underperforms more often then they over perform….OSU has done nothing…

We are all disappointed with the last couple years coming off what was probably the two best years back to back in program history in 21 & 22…it hasn’t gone how we hoped it would the last 2 seasons…and yes, we’d all like to see better recruiting and more winning…but you gotta look big picture at all the potential reasons why…

The landscape changes fast. I don’t care about what happened and who won 20-30 years ago…I measure programs in rolling decades…look at Rutgers last 5-10 years…it stands up to a lot of big programs.

I’d argue that Rutgers biggest recruiting hurdles are the residents of its home state of NJ…it’s an odd state in that parents and coaches generally encourage the best players to leave the state…that flat out is not Coach Brechts faults…that’s all on the culture of lacrosse family’s and parents and programs in the state…

Rutgers from outside NJ is viewed as a very very good university…it ranks right around the top 50 by all counts academically…has great individual schools…great advantages being close to NYC…when I talk to people in the Midwest and they learned my son played lacrosse at Rutgers…I get one response almost always…”wow, that’s big time lacrosse”

Yet, the sense I get is when that same question is asked of someone in NJ…you don’t get the same response….which is odd, disappointing, and sad…IMO

As an outsider…the state of NJ makes it hard on Rutgers to recruit and win battles…the parents of kids push them elsewhere…from what I’m told by a number of people I trust in NJ…

Parents need to let their kids make their college choice. It’s not your choice…it’s your kids…

Rutgers has so much to offer…the Rodkin is so exceptional as a facility…but that lax only stadium needs to get built…kids want to play in lacrosse stadiums…

Coach Brecht has done a good job. But don’t get it confused…Rutgers is a VERY hard job…when you compare it to all ACC jobs, all big ten jobs, and a handful of Ivy jobs…its a harder job then all of them…

Hopefully we get some good young players and continue to evolve forward as a program

It is soooo competitive right now….remember that!

Good luck to the young men at PSU this weekend!
i'd like this comment twice if i could

Two times in a row. Stoller makes a save. Ball bounces right into a PSU stick for a quick goal. This season it seems like we never get the 50/50 bounces.

Stoller is going to be a great goalie but one nitpick I have that I think has gotten worse as the season went on is his tendency to go down to the ground on low shots. PSU has taken advantage of that 3 times this game. If he doesn’t fix it this offseason it is going to be an Achilles heel. Shooters are going to pick up on that and fake low to bring him to the ground leaving top shelf wide open.

Penn State has sustained a talent advantage over Rutgers in many sports which upsets fans.

Really struggling on faceoffs. Lost 7 of 9. And a penalty for too many false starts.

Rough day for Brams. It's not unheard of for a FOGO to have a bad match-up. A little better for Soutar. Brams is a little over 50% for the year and Soutar a few points above that. That doesn't make you an AA, but it's not terriible. Loyola would have killed to have that this spring. Both graduate.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Dartmouth's top FOGO graduates this spring with a year of eligibility left due to Ivy rules. 2nd team All Ivy in '23. Was good for 65% in the loss to Cornell today and is about 58% on the season. I know he.'s in the portal but nothing else. Should be worth a look.

Reactions: Wagram97
Still a .500 record and we know in advance we won’t be snubbed in the NCAA selection process.

I believe we are 46-28 all time va PSU. They are having a nice run though. They are very good. They were in the FF last year and got robbed of making the championship game. With tons back and a couple of transfers I won’t be surprised to see them make another run at it. They have to make the tourney first.

Really challenging season that started with injuries and just never got better. A lot to do in the offseason but many of these guys are graduating with having been to the FF. That will never be forgotten.

Sad to see Ross Scoot and Shane Knobloch go but they are going to light up the PLL. Legendary players for us who each had many incredibly moments OTB. Big things ahead for them.

As to the program, it will be an interesting offseason. The bar has been raised and not making the tournament is no longer acceptable.

Reactions: mattkamish
I believe we are 46-28 all time va PSU. They are having a nice run though. They are very good. They were in the FF last year and got robbed of making the championship game. With tons back and a couple of transfers I won’t be surprised to see them make another run at it. They have to make the tourney first.

Really challenging season that started with injuries and just never got better. A lot to do in the offseason but many of these guys are graduating with having been to the FF. That will never be forgotten.

Sad to see Ross Scoot and Shane Knobloch go but they are going to light up the PLL. Legendary players for us who each had many incredibly moments OTB. Big things ahead for them.

As to the program, it will be an interesting offseason. The bar has been raised and not making the tournament is no longer acceptable.
Shane and Ross have been Incredible players and ambassadors for Rutgers lacrosse…those two won a lot of games and were part of a lot of great moments…just great young men and really quality families…

You get on these boards and so many people forget how much these guys work and try hard to win and be successful…

If you actually play in high level D1 games your a stud…but it’s just too easy to criticize young men after we lose big games or make mistakes…I get it, we all want RU to win big every year but it’s ultra competitive and it’s really hard to make the field of 16/17….really hard

People should think a little before they post…

A couple quick memories when I think of Ross and Shane…tons of memories but these two come to mind…

Ross - 2022, vs PSU at SHI…Ross scores with like 6 seconds left to tie the game and then scores in OT to win the friendship cup for the second year in a row…the place went crazy…and PSU wanted that game badly…

Shane - 2022, vs Penn in the NCAA quarters at Hofstra…we were down down two in Q4 and I remember two spectacular shots by Shane as we were in route to earning the trip to championship weekend…what a great day that was…crowd was fantastic

That was just 2 years ago

Wishing all the seniors this year the best…last two years were a bit of a struggle, but they were on the train for the two greatest Rutgers seasons in the last 30 years…maybe ever

Cheers!

Great post.

Winning is the thing and that’s a big part of what we are doing here but for me it’s a lot more than that. I get far more pleasure out of seeing the kids Ive gotten to know turn into men who become great fathers, husbands, and productive members of society than anything I’ve ever seen on the field. Seeing the guys I played with, older guys I didn’t, and younger guys that are either still in the program or recently graduated, along with the great families they come from, is very fulfilling. At the end of the day, that’s what Rutgers lacrosse and the Rutgers lacrosse family is all about. We will always keep building and striving to get that first national championship, but it’s all.about the people. That’s what makes it special.

Great post.

Winning is the thing and that’s a big part of what we are doing here but for me it’s a lot more than that. I get far more pleasure out of seeing the kids Ive gotten to know turn into men who become great fathers, husbands, and productive members of society than anything I’ve ever seen on the field. Seeing the guys I played with, older guys I didn’t, and younger guys that are either still in the program or recently graduated, along with the great families they come from, is very fulfilling. At the end of the day, that’s what Rutgers lacrosse and the Rutgers lacrosse family is all about. We will always keep building and striving to get that first national championship, but it’s all.about the people. That’s what makes it special.
I’m potentially 2-3 days away from watching my last game as a parent…I hope not but it’s a reality…

I’m already emotional thinking about it. Friday night was emotional for me watching Joey walk off the field for the last time at Ridley…I was frozen in place just watching him take one last look and head into the tunnel after a hard fought 13-11 loss to Army…

But the relationships we made at Loyola and RU are more than we ever dreamed about or deserved…so many great people…I mean friends for life…it’s simply amazing and I’m not even talking about my kids…they’ll have friends and brothers for a lifetime…but man…you nailed it @Caliknight …it’s about so much more

Yes the pressure to win is there and you gotta win…but molding young men and creating mentors and future leaders is paramount in the long term

Need some of you all rooting for the Hounds on Tuesday night

I can remember that feeling as a player in my last game like it was yesterday. You never forget that.

I’ve said it before to you but I’ll say it again. You both did a great job with those boys. Hard workers, thoughtful, respectful and great to be around. And that’s not even getting to the field. Lots of crazy stuff going on in this world but if you want to have some faith in the future go talk to kids like Matt’s boys, Shane, Ross, and many others. The kids you meet in the program are just often really special.

I think everyone here will be rooting for Loyola. Go Hounds!

I’m potentially 2-3 days away from watching my last game as a parent…I hope not but it’s a reality…

I’m already emotional thinking about it. Friday night was emotional for me watching Joey walk off the field for the last time at Ridley…I was frozen in place just watching him take one last look and head into the tunnel after a hard fought 13-11 loss to Army…

But the relationships we made at Loyola and RU are more than we ever dreamed about or deserved…so many great people…I mean friends for life…it’s simply amazing and I’m not even talking about my kids…they’ll have friends and brothers for a lifetime…but man…you nailed it @Caliknight …it’s about so much more

Yes the pressure to win is there and you gotta win…but molding young men and creating mentors and future leaders is paramount in the long term

Sink the Middies! Odds are it will happen but they are inconsistent enough to make things difficult.

The jump from HS to Big Three (ACC, B1G and Ivy) is huge, but I know of some potential. Hunter Falzon is a PG middie at my old school committed to Rutgers. Three star last year as a HS senior. Averaging between 3 and 3.5 points per game for the #8 ranked team in PA. 6'0" and 190. Will play Lawrenceville in 2 weeks which should be interesting. Not sure how much he will help in '25, but there is potential.

BTW, the starting goalies is a freshman saving over 55%.

Shane and Ross have been Incredible players and ambassadors for Rutgers lacrosse…those two won a lot of games and were part of a lot of great moments…just great young men and really quality families…

You get on these boards and so many people forget how much these guys work and try hard to win and be successful…

If you actually play in high level D1 games your a stud…but it’s just too easy to criticize young men after we lose big games or make mistakes…I get it, we all want RU to win big every year but it’s ultra competitive and it’s really hard to make the field of 16/17….really hard

People should think a little before they post…

A couple quick memories when I think of Ross and Shane…tons of memories but these two come to mind…

Ross - 2022, vs PSU at SHI…Ross scores with like 6 seconds left to tie the game and then scores in OT to win the friendship cup for the second year in a row…the place went crazy…and PSU wanted that game badly…

Shane - 2022, vs Penn in the NCAA quarters at Hofstra…we were down down two in Q4 and I remember two spectacular shots by Shane as we were in route to earning the trip to championship weekend…what a great day that was…crowd was fantastic

That was just 2 years ago

Wishing all the seniors this year the best…last two years were a bit of a struggle, but they were on the train for the two greatest Rutgers seasons in the last 30 years…maybe ever

Cheers!
Tremendous post Mr. Kamish. Thank you and your family.

Great post.

Another tremendous post. Thank you Cali.

Reactions: Caliknight

I remember my son playing his last hockey game at VMI before graduating and commissioning in the US Army. Thank you for sharing. You are so right.

Reactions: Caliknight
I can remember that feeling as a player in my last game like it was yesterday. You never forget that.

I’ve said it before to you but I’ll say it again. You both did a great job with those boys. Hard workers, thoughtful, respectful and great to be around. And that’s not even getting to the field. Lots of crazy stuff going on in this world but if you want to have some faith in the future go talk to kids like Matt’s boys, Shane, Ross, and many others. The kids you meet in the program are just often really special.

I think everyone here will be rooting for Loyola. Go Hounds!
Indeed. Go Hounds!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT