Football Maryland opens as 3pt favorites versus Rutgers

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
F_UetSibcAAk57X

Reactions: G- RUnit
One full-blown Greg-hater on the RT just said they should be 20-point favorites, so....
Based on what? Both teams are 6-5 and have taken similar roads to get there.

Against the B1G West, Maryland went 1-2 @ Northwestern, vs. Illinois and @ Nebraska. Rutgers went 1-2 vs. Northwestern, @Wisconsin and @Iowa.

Against the East, both have wins vs. MSU and Indiana. Maryland’s margin of victory was 49. Rutgers’ was 20. Both went 0-3 against OSU, Michigan and PSU. Maryland’s margin of defeat was 63. Rutgers’ was 64.

Out of conference, Maryland beat Towson, Charlotte and UVA by a combined 78 pts. Rutgers beat Wagner, Temple and VT by a combined 97 pts.

There is no scenario where Vegas sets a line between 2 teams with those resumes 20 pts apart.

I think our running game will be successful vs MD like it was against NW, VT, MSU, Ind, etc. I don’t put their D in the same class as Mich, Wisc, OSU, Iowa, PSU. If the run works, we can keep Taulia off the field, and be solid on ST’s, I think we can pull this one out 20-17.

Based on what? Both teams are 6-5 and have taken similar roads to get there.

Against the B1G West, Maryland went 1-2 @ Northwestern, vs. Illinois and @ Nebraska. Rutgers went 1-2 vs. Northwestern, @Wisconsin and @Iowa.

Against the East, both have wins vs. MSU and Indiana. Maryland’s margin of victory was 49. Rutgers’ was 20. Both went 0-3 against OSU, Michigan and PSU. Maryland’s margin of defeat was 63. Rutgers’ was 64.

Out of conference, Maryland beat Towson, Charlotte and UVA by a combined 78 pts. Rutgers beat Wagner, Temple and VT by a combined 97 pts.

There is no scenario where Vegas sets a line between 2 teams with those resumes 20 pts apart.
It is close based on similar opponents, maybe even favors us. The concern is the qb position, one is 65% 22TD/10Int/3,000 Yds and one 49% 8TD/7Int/1500 yards. They have also mauled us the last two years with this qb. Our D is much better this year so hopefully we can slow him down.

It is close based on similar opponents, maybe even favors us. The concern is the qb position, one is 65% 22TD/10Int/3,000 Yds and one 49% 8TD/7Int/1500 yards. They have also mauled us the last two years with this qb. Our D is much better this year so hopefully we can slow him down.
Let's take a look at the Ohio State and PSU (and Michigan) opponents
Ohio State:
Taulia 21/41 (51%) 196 yds 1 TD/2 INT; Team Rushing Yards 106 (Taulia 21 yds )
Gavin 10/25 (40%) 129 yds 1 TD/1INT; Team Rushing Yards 232 (Gavin 49 yds)
Mar Defense: Gave up 37 pts
Rut Defense: gave up 28 pts (offense gave up pick 6)

Penn State:
Taulia 29/39 (74%) 285 yds 2 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing -49 yds (Taulia -47 yds)
Gavin 10/16 (62.5%) 130 yds 0 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing 99 yds; (Gavin 31 yds)
Mar Defense: Gave up 51 pts
Rut Defense: Gave up 27 pts

Michigan:
Taulia 21/31 (67%) 247 yds 0 TD/2 INT; Team Rushing 15 yds(Taulia -43 yds)
Gavin 11/21 (52%) 180 yds 1 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing 77 ys (Gavin 28 yds)
Mar Defense: gave up 27 pts (offense gave Michigan 2 safeties)
Rut Defense: gave up 24 pts (Rut Offense gave up a pick 6)

Looking at all of that on paper Rutgers Defense may win this.
Rutgers give up 23 pts/B1G Game, with 79 pts against OSU, PSU and MU
Maryland Defense gives up 27 pts/game, 115 pts against OSU, PSU and MU

Our defense needs to contain their RB Hemby in the passing game- he has 550 receiving yards. If we can sack Taulia and keep him in negative yards, that's another plus.
Their wild card is their goal line battering ram QB, Billy Edwards.

Last edited:
Let's take a quick looks at the Ohio State and PSU opponents
Ohio State:
Taulia 21/41 (51%) 196 yds 1 TD/2 INT; Team Rushing Yards 106 (Taulia 21 yds )
Gavin 10/25 (40%) 129 yds 1 TD/1INT; Team Rushing Yards 232 (Gavin 49 yds)
Mar Defense: Gave up 37 pts
Rut Defense: gave up 28 pts (offense gave up pick 6)

Penn State:
Taulia 29/39 (74%) 285 yds 2 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing -49 yds (Taulia -47 yds)
Gavin 10/16 (62.5%) 130 yds 0 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing 99 yds; (Gavin 31 yds)
Mar Defense: Gave up 51 pts
Rut Defense: Gave up 27 pts

Michigan:
Taulia 21/31 (67%) 247 yds 0 TD/2 INT; Team Rushing 15 yds(Taulia -43 yds)
Gavin 11/21 (52%) 180 yds 1 TD/1 INT; Team Rushing 77 ys (Gavin 28 yds)
Mar Defense: gave up 27 pts (offense gave Michigan 2 safeties)
Rut Defense: gave up 24 pts (Rut Offense gave up a pick 6)

Looking at all of that on paper Rutgers Defense may win this.
Rutgers give up 23 pts/B1G Game, with 79 pts against OSU, PSU and MU
Maryland Defense gives up 27 pts/game, 115 pts against OSU, PSU and MU

Our defense needs to contain their RB Hemby in the passing game- he has 550 receiving yards. If we can sack Taulia and keep him in negative yards, that's another plus.
Their wild card is their goal line battering ram QB, Billy Edwards.
Excellent analysis.

Excellent analysis.
We are doomed!!!
We will only do as well as we establish the run game, and we have no bad INTs or fumbles.
Rutgers has 8 fumbles recovered and 7 INTs. We have given up 12 TOs.
Maryland has 5 Fumbles recovered and 14 INTs. But their offense has given up 18 TOs.

We are doomed!!!
We will only do as well as we establish the run game, and we have no bad INTs or fumbles.
Rutgers has 8 fumbles recovered and 7 INTs. We have given up 12 TOs.
Maryland has 5 Fumbles recovered and 14 INTs. But their offense has given up 18 TOs.
Agree we can win if we establish the run….. my concern is how healthy is our O-line?

I know many of our fans want to light it up in the passing game but this will be another game where we try to eat clock by running the ball. Hopefully we have a little more balance but if they can’t stop the run we will do just that.

They have a lot of talent in their passing game but I think we match up well there. Still I think we do our best to keep their Offense off the field.

Probably that Jack off dirtbag YeahBaby
Oh calm down I’m a positive fan and never predict us to lose. I just don’t predict many games. You’re mad because I turned what you said about Wimsatt back on you. You deserved it. But I’ll agree with you when you make sensible comments and don’t trash our players.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Two dumb questions BramhallBOB.
You are truly a moron! You complain about Rutgers not being on channel 9. Yet you always have an excuse for never going to a game. It is sad that your one goal in life is to post as many times on a message board as is possible. Do you know any words that have more than 2 syllables? I think not! I am willing to bet you don't even know what Bramhall is.

Are they as banged up as we are? Last Saturday looked like we had someone down every series.
If we were playing them fully healthy, I would say we dominate them.

You are truly a moron! You complain about Rutgers not being on channel 9. Yet you always have an excuse for never going to a game. It is sad that your one goal in life is to post as many times on a message board as is possible. Do you know any words that have more than 2 syllables? I think not! I am willing to bet you don't even know what Bramhall is.
For someone who stalks me you should know that I live in Florida.

I actually made the NW game so I’ve prob attended more games this season than a lot on this board that live in NJ

You must have had a rough day at the bingo hall yesterday since you’re been in a sour mood.

Maryland doesn't give up many yards on the ground. Most teams have passed well against them. Not our forte!
The Big Ten's stats shows Maryland as #6 in rushing defense -- not nearly as good as Iowa, PSU, Michigan or Ohio State. So we do have a pretty good chance of establishing a running game against them.

The Terps are, just as you say, not that good against the pass; they are #8 in the conference and better only than Michigan State and Indiana among the Big Ten games we've played. Maybe we can do OK with the pass.

https://bigten.org/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2023

Reactions: Knight Shift
For someone who stalks me you should know that I live in Florida.

I actually made the NW game so I’ve prob attended more games this season than a lot on this board that live in NJ

You must have had a rough day at the bingo hall yesterday since you’re been in a sour mood.

With a couple of late scores to just make us not cover
In the latest rankings of all 133 teams, The Athletic has Maryland at 55 and Rutgers 56.

FWIW:

57-Northwestern (RU Beat, Maryland Lost)
59- Va Tech (RU Beat)
60- BC (RU Beat)
66- Wisconsin (RU Lost)
73- Nebraska (Maryland Lost)
83- Virginia (Maryland beat)
84 - Michigan State
93-Indiana
123- Charlotte (Maryland Beat)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT