ADVERTISEMENT

Mason & Tiernan Earn All-Region Honors

This group of women have one more year. A tiny tiny window is left to field a great great team around all time great seniors Mason & Tiernan. Not to mention legendary grad senior(5th year) group of Misal, Lowrey, Romano, Kroeger and Flushel. I am not forgetting senior supporting cast members Dangle, Girman and Banks.

Nine of these ten women(-Banks) played in the final four College Cup match against eventual champ FSU! And what has RU coaching staff done since that final four day to bring in recruits of at the very least similar ilk??? Just nothing. No offense, I just mean in comparison to the previous Top25 standard. Consecutive classes outside the Top 50 and one that was 14 of 14 in the Big 10('22) and 11 of 14'(23). '24 class is similar '23 in that only one player is ranked in the Top 200. probably headed for 12=14 of 14 without some impact transfers.

So at this very very critical juncture(mid season transfer portal) it appears that Rutgers has whiffed on EVERY SINGLE target out of the over 1,000 possible women that were in the 2023-24 transfer portal. Besides an unranked Canadian who played 100 minutes at Arkansas?? There has been nothing. There is another window in May, however.

What do we tell Mason & Tiernan? Pro's who want to win and need to showcase themselves for the next level? What do we tell Grad seniors who did not leave?? That what we have is good enough? we were unlucky last season?? This year the ball will bounce our way??

Captain grad sr. Allison Lynch is done. 4-year star and former Top 25 national recruit Sara Brocious is gone, transferred to TCU. Steady role player Nalia Schoefberger has transferred to Mississippi St. Two of the freshman are the portal and will transfer before the '24 season. What are we doing for Mason & Tiernan???? What?

This group of women have one more year. A tiny tiny window is left to field a great great team around all time great seniors Mason & Tiernan. Not to mention legendary grad senior(5th year) group of Misal, Lowrey, Romano, Kroeger and Flushel. I am not forgetting senior supporting cast members Dangle, Girman and Banks.

Nine of these ten women(-Banks) played in the final four College Cup match against eventual champ FSU! And what has RU coaching staff done since that final four day to bring in recruits of at the very least similar ilk??? Just nothing. No offense, I just mean in comparison to the previous Top25 standard. Consecutive classes outside the Top 50 and one that was 14 of 14 in the Big 10('22) and 11 of 14'(23). '24 class is similar '23 in that only one player is ranked in the Top 200. probably headed for 12=14 of 14 without some impact transfers.

So at this very very critical juncture(mid season transfer portal) it appears that Rutgers has whiffed on EVERY SINGLE target out of the over 1,000 possible women that were in the 2023-24 transfer portal. Besides an unranked Canadian who played 100 minutes at Arkansas?? There has been nothing. There is another window in May, however.

What do we tell Mason & Tiernan? Pro's who want to win and need to showcase themselves for the next level? What do we tell Grad seniors who did not leave?? That what we have is good enough? we were unlucky last season?? This year the ball will bounce our way??

Captain grad sr. Allison Lynch is done. 4-year star and former Top 25 national recruit Sara Brocious is gone, transferred to TCU. Steady role player Nalia Schoefberger has transferred to Mississippi St. Two of the freshman are the portal and will transfer before the '24 season. What are we doing for Mason & Tiernan???? What?
Mason & particularly Tiernan are living on their reputations.

The offense was unwatchable for most of the season.Its a coaching and recruiting problem,.

Class of 2024 will again not even crack the Top 50 and looks like dead last 14 of 14 in B10:

Madelyn O’Neill Unranked mid with 1 goal & two assists in a 4 year Jackson, NJ HS career.
Charlotte Mills Unranked Michigan back with not a single B10 offer
Mikayla Mandleaur Unranked holding mid from Heather O’reilly’s Alma meter East Brunswick
Clair Hammill Unranked Michigan mid with no B10 offers
Shaela Bradley Ranked #57 in the IMG Top 200 from Washington State? Appears legit
Patricia Tsokos Unranked/transfer(Canadian) Arkansas transfer with 8 games & 100 minutes In her career????** Is this one a favor?? I mean 1,000 in portal to choose and you get an complete unknown?

Class of 2024 will again not even crack the Top 50 and looks like dead last 14 of 14 in B10:

Madelyn O’Neill Unranked mid with 1 goal & two assists in a 4 year Jackson, NJ HS career.
Charlotte Mills Unranked Michigan back with not a single B10 offer
Mikayla Mandleaur Unranked holding mid from Heather O’reilly’s Alma meter East Brunswick
Clair Hammill Unranked Michigan mid with no B10 offers
Shaela Bradley Ranked #57 in the IMG Top 200 from Washington State? Appears legit
Patricia Tsokos Unranked/transfer(Canadian) Arkansas transfer with 8 games & 100 minutes In her career????** Is this one a favor?? I mean 1,000 in portal to choose and you get an complete unknown?
Yes O'Neill is living off his reputation and the same thing that happened to women's bball is happening here where the talent coming in is just not good and we will continue to fall farther and farther into soccer mediocrity before Hobbs does anything as he is paying O'Neill off for past success; Hobbs needs to be procactive but we did make the NCAA's last year so that is all he will see

Mason & particularly Tiernan are living on their reputations.
Correct. I'm still trying to figure out how Tiernan got on the All-Tournament B1G team LET ALONE this one. I mean, CONGRATS, but this is a "reputation" thing no question.

Yes O'Neill is living off his reputation and the same thing that happened to women's bball is happening here where the talent coming in is just not good and we will continue to fall farther and farther into soccer mediocrity before Hobbs does anything as he is paying O'Neill off for past success; Hobbs needs to be procactive but we did make the NCAA's last year so that is all he will see
Happened to Men's Soccer with Reasso as well. "Complacency" sets in after a while for many of these HC's.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

WOW....so maybe I was right and there WERE off-field issues with the team this past season....oh and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that Kroeger is headed to the pros.

WOW....so maybe I was right and there WERE off-field issues with the team this past season....oh and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that Kroeger is headed to the pros.
I don't know if it is off field issues or these girls just realize where the program is headed and it's not in a good direction; but you know Hobbs will say we made the NCAA's so he is doing his job and thats the blind complacency that we see; as an aside the men really need to step it up or to me that coach should be on the hot seat as this will be his 3rd year

I don't know if it is off field issues or these girls just realize where the program is headed and it's not in a good direction; but you know Hobbs will say we made the NCAA's so he is doing his job and thats the blind complacency that we see; as an aside the men really need to step it up or to me that coach should be on the hot seat as this will be his 3rd year
Say whatever you want about MON but how could you possibly say McElderry on the hot seat after winning the B1G Tournament title in 2022? Only he and Civico from field hockey have won B1G tournament titles at Rutgers....

You guys are all so impatient.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
If this is true(she is good enough imo) and Kroeger is gone for pros AND Brocious we know gone for TCU the top two recruits from the class of 2020 - both who had one year to play for RU if the chose to stay at RU.

Kroeger was #16 in class of 2020. Brocious was #24 in class of 2020.
(Top two ranked kids in #9 ranked 2020 class)
Together they started 154 games including the final four matchup with FSU.
Together the scored 27 goals and had 34 assists.

This stuff happens but just no recruiting success since 2021. None. Nine wins in 2023.
Who knows what for 2024? 2025 it’s a 6-8 win team.

Say whatever you want about MON but how could you possibly say McElderry on the hot seat after winning the B1G Tournament title in 2022? Only he and Civico from field hockey have won B1G tournament titles at Rutgers....

You guys are all so impatient.
I actually agree with you here. That comment made zero sense. Just a rough season and that WILL happen when BUILDING.a program (like FH had in 2022).

Reactions: rutgersfan1766

For real? 8 games and 100 minutes at Arkansas???? From Canada??? That’s some press release.

How about ”We called, sent emails, exchanged texts, Twitter messages and IG messages to over 100 other players in the portal and got none of those. We are sorry. There is always the May1 - May15 portal opening where the truly desperate programs take even bigger risks going after complete unknowns.” Sheesh.

For real? 8 games and 100 minutes at Arkansas???? From Canada??? That’s some press release.

How about ”We called, sent emails, exchanged texts, Twitter messages and IG messages to over 100 other players in the portal and got none of those. We are sorry. There is always the May1 - May15 portal opening where the truly desperate programs take even bigger risks going after complete unknowns.” Sheesh.
Which freshman transferred out?

I actually agree with you here. That comment made zero sense. Just a rough season and that WILL happen when BUILDING.a program (like FH had in 2022).
This is what I meant when I said over and over again it was the same 3 people screaming here over and over again with their frustrations/agenda. Thank you.

Instead of complaining, these people who clearly have some interest in the game could have done something to help if they truly cared.

Program building especially in college is HARD. When a full roster turns over every 4-5 years there will be ups and downs. That's why you see cyclical shifts regardless of sport. Sure there are a handful that can keep reloading but the majority are not there.

I know neither played were they any good? Any potential?
IDK. Neither could get any minutes on a desperate 9 win team that got outplayed badly by Columbia. But both were NJ all state and Brass was a HS AA. who knows? Both were way more highly touted than the Arkansas transfer who played low level club ball along with hoops, track & volleyball in Canada?

IDK. Neither could get any minutes on a desperate 9 win team that got outplayed badly by Columbia. But both were NJ all state and Brass was a HS AA. who knows? Both were way more highly touted than the Arkansas transfer who played low level club ball along with hoops, track & volleyball in Canada?
I wonder if Mike is using the actual talent he has the right way as he has barely played any freshman the last couple of years but that to me is an indictment of what you said about how poor his recruiting classes have been
Just look at FSU I believe there leading goal scorer this national championship season was a freshman!!

I thinks it's both and one other thing. I mean obviously with the banner classes of 2020 and 2021 he still has WAY more talent on the field than say Columbia so he is NOT using his talent the right way. Second, he has played no freshman last two years because he recruited no talent AT ALL since 2021. The other thing he has not developed the current players as they have in earlier years. Tiernan has gone backward every year. Mason got hurt but was never sure of her role at center back or sometimes outside back. Brocious, a top 25 recruit leaves unhappy. Sammy scoring down despite immense talent. Missing Meg a ton in my opinion. Despite her not getting it done yet at Md. She filled her role perfectly for the prior decade plus as player & coach.

I thinks it's both and one other thing. I mean obviously with the banner classes of 2020 and 2021 he still has WAY more talent on the field than say Columbia so he is NOT using his talent the right way. Second, he has played no freshman last two years because he recruited no talent AT ALL since 2021. The other thing he has not developed the current players as they have in earlier years. Tiernan has gone backward every year. Mason got hurt but was never sure of her role at center back or sometimes outside back. Brocious, a top 25 recruit leaves unhappy. Sammy scoring down despite immense talent. Missing Meg a ton in my opinion. Despite her not getting it done yet at Md. She filled her role perfectly for the prior decade plus as player & coach.
Two true freshmen started plenty of games this year (Russomanno and Baran). Gabby Gil has been hurt.

Maryland didn't win a single conference game this year and only one tie. 9 outright losses.

Two true freshmen started plenty of games this year (Russomanno and Baran). Gabby Gil has been hurt.

Maryland didn't win a single conference game this year and only one tie. 9 outright losses.
Those two freshman started 5 & 6 games a piece because of injuries to Gia Vicari and Emily Misal.

Those two freshman started 5 & 6 games a piece because of injuries to Gia Vicari and Emily Misal.
Sure but you said no freshman the last two years has played at all which is factually incorrect. And you can also count Bodmer (RFr) that started every game in net. That's 3 out of the starting 11 to end the year. Pretty good if you ask me.

Last edited:
Sure but you said no freshman the last two years has played at all which is factually incorrect. And you can also count Bodmer (RFr) that started every game in net. That's 3 out of the starting 11 to end the year. Pretty good if you ask me.
Russomano started at Back out of necessity she was a forward meaning we had no depth at defense and were forced to play her back there because we had no one else and that's another sign that the recruiting has been poor for the past 3 years;
Whether its recruiting or coaching either way you look at it the result is a team that's offensive in the offensive category; if you take out the FDU game which is like playing a high school team we score only 18 goals in 19 games that is not even one goal a game that is just not going to get it done and with these poor recruiting classes we will not see any improvement as we don't have a goal scorer and have not had one since Amirah left
As for Maryland everyone was blaming our dropoff on losing Meg to Maryland well that obviously is not the case as our drop off is clearly related to our poor recruiting

Agree on Meg. Plus she was a very good recruiter. IMO Tiernan was not the hire.

How the hell do I know! Carli Lloyd!!!
What coaching credentials does Carli Lloyd have? Think it's a bit disingenuous when you call out one of our coaches (that's also one of our programs best all time players) but don't offer a better solution.

Yeah all 3 started in the Michigan State and it was sad. (I knowMSU are B10champs but they just were not ready and it was rough) Re-watch Columbia. I was there live and they were swimming in the deep end from the kickoff vs the #4 Ivy League team. To me they showed no signs that they were they adding to the legacy of ru wsoc . If the stock symbol is (RWSC), I’m selling. Put your money where your mouth is & support their trip to Europe lol! The returns may disappoint.

Tiernan
Who would you have hired?
had zero effect on recruiting. Maybe a minus. Class of 24 is embarrassing. The losses on every single decent PDA kid to Penn State and others, UVA, Pitt, ND, Just cantnreel in even a mid size fish. Portal transfers - there were WHALES out there and they got a Canadian with 100 minutes under belt at Arkansas????

What coaching credentials does Carli Lloyd have? Think it's a bit disingenuous when you call out one of our coaches (that's also one of our programs best all time players) but don't offer a better solution.
Didn't seem to recognize facetiousness when you saw it about Lloyd. With regard to assistant coaches, I certainly didn't know the available pool, but I do know that I I had my reservations about the Tiernan hire.

Didn't seem to recognize facetiousness when you saw it about Lloyd. With regard to assistant coaches, I certainly didn't know the available pool, but I do know that I I had my reservations about the Tiernan hire.
I agree I live Madison but you need to hire outside the O’Neill coaching tree for some fresh coaching ideas different systems
PS Dad sitting here in recovery at HSS just had my right hip replaced!! We have to hook up one of these days

I agree I live Madison but you need to hire outside the O’Neill coaching tree for some fresh coaching ideas different systems
PS Dad sitting here in recovery at HSS just had my right hip replaced!! We have to hook up one of these days
Dentist, sounds like a plan. Good luck with the hip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT