ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Harvey or Derek Jeter

Originally posted by RichDonRU:
When Harvey wins as many rings as Jeter, then this can realistically be discussed!
That's my logic. Call me when Michael Jordan has as many rings as Robert Horry.

Reactions: brianoc
WAR and every other stat does not really win ball games. What wins is making players around you better and want to be better. It is being in the right place at the right time, it is making the big play when It is needed.

Hitting a cutoff man or being in the right spot for the cutoff, are you in the field QB'ing everyone else where they should position themselves, shining bright on the biggest stage...

There are a lot of average players who this and there are a lot of stars(stat wise) that don't. Get me a guy with a hall of fame career who does all of the intangibles, that is the guy I want.

When Harvey wins as many rings as Jeter, then this can realistically be discussed!
Will Perdue has four NBA rings. Wilt Chamberlain has two. Charles Barkley has none.

Originally posted by yesrutgers01:

WAR and every other stat does not really win ball games. What wins is making players around you better and want to be better. It is being in the right place at the right time, it is making the big play when It is needed.

Hitting a cutoff man or being in the right spot for the cutoff, are you in the field QB'ing everyone else where they should position themselves, shining bright on the biggest stage...

There are a lot of average players who this and there are a lot of stars(stat wise) that don't. Get me a guy with a hall of fame career who does all of the intangibles, that is the guy I want.
With all respect: No. All of those things are good, and definitely help a team, but what wins games is creating and preventing runs. Hits, walks, stolen bases; fielding, strikeouts, etc. The things that make up stats, that is.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

With all respect: No. All of those things are good, and definitely help a team, but what wins games is creating and preventing runs. Hits, walks, stolen bases; fielding, strikeouts, etc. The things that make up stats, that is.
Crazy. Stats don't tell the story of a SS running down & relaying a short, off-line throw to the plate and saving a run. Or setting an example by laying down a sacrifice to get a runner in scoring position or running out every, single grounder. Intangibles like that can never be measured properly.

Derek Jeter : 38 World Series games played - 9 rbi's What a beast!
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Purple-Ed:

Derek Jeter : 38 World Series games played - 9 rbi's What a beast!
laugh.r191677.gif
Had to laugh at an obvious met fan posting this. You failed to mention his .321 WS average. His job was to get on base, not drive in runs. He hit from mostly the 1st or 2nd spot

Jeter is tied for 5th in World Series Runs Scored, tied with ...Joe DiMaggio

1. Mickey Mantle -42

2. Yogi Berra - 41

3. Babe Ruth - 37

4. Lou Gehrig- 30

5. Tie Joe DiMaggio -27
Derek Jeter- 27

7. Roger Maris-- 26

8. Elston Howard- 25

9. Gil McDougal - 23

10. Jackie Robinson- 22

I am not a big Jeter fan but this can't be serious. Harvey is pitching well but he has only been in the majors for a very short time. Pitchers must pitch outstanding for about 20 years to even be considered in the same topic as Jeter who will probably be a first vote Hall of Famer.

Originally posted by dvb91:
Originally posted by BeKnighted:

Crazy. Stats don't tell the story of a SS running down & relaying a short, off-line throw to the plate and saving a run. Or setting an example by laying down a sacrifice to get a runner in scoring position or running out every, single grounder. Intangibles like that can never be measured properly.
Oh, that play. Of course you brought it up. Seriously, the postseason hits mean much, much more.

The flip throw was a cool play. Running everything out - I'll take your word for it that he did that for his whole career. Yes, that's a good thing to do.

Laying down a sacrifice? Now you're reaching. Jeter had a total of 97 sac bunts in 20 seasons, just under five per year, and 16 of those came in one year. So he had 81 sac bunts in the other 19 years, or just over four sac bunts per year. The active player with the most career sacrifice bunts is Elvis Andrus with 88 in seven seasons. Omar Vizquel had 256 sac bunts in 24 seasons, or more than twice the rate that Jeter had. On top of that, players generally try the sacrifice when their managers tell them to do it.

Not to mention.that sacrificing 1 of only 3 very valuable outs has been shown to be pretty dumb in most situations.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by RUtrumpet92:

The flip throw was a cool play. Running everything out - I'll take your word for it that he did that for his whole career. Yes, that's a good thing to do.

Laying down a sacrifice? Now you're reaching. Jeter had a total of 97 sac bunts in 20 seasons, just under five per year, and 16 of those came in one year. So he had 81 sac bunts in the other 19 years, or just over four sac bunts per year. The active player with the most career sacrifice bunts is Elvis Andrus with 88 in seven seasons. Omar Vizquel had 256 sac bunts in 24 seasons, or more than twice the rate that Jeter had. On top of that, players generally try the sacrifice when their managers tell them to do it.

the Yankees in general dont sacrifice bunt because they look to hit home runs...and why would you ask a guy with 3000 hits to not hit....

Originally posted by RutgersROB:
the Yankees in general dont sacrifice bunt because they look to hit home runs...and why would you ask a guy with 3000 hits to not hit....
You're missing my point. Jeter is not going to the Hall of Fame because he was "setting an example by laying down a sacrifice bunt". That's all.

I just checked the all-time top hits leaders and their # of sacrifice bunts. Tris Speaker is #5 on the hits list with 3514 hits. He had 309 sacrifice bunts in a 22 year career. The all-time sac bunt leaders are almost all from the early 20th century. The game was certainly different back then.

Eddie Murray had 3255 hits. Career sac bunts: 2

From the MLB list, Seaver, Hernandez, Piazza, Wright. That might not be my choice if I could pick from all of the players in Mets history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT