ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile at Old Dominion... LOL

I had a full single life (maybe too rich - led me to be a bit too caddish for too long and to get married very late) vis a vis young ladies so I am not a prude by any means. However, I do not think what they wrote and displayed is just "fun" or funny. The fact is that in many case (not all) young men in college (and otherwise) view the boundaries of partying and the mating ritual very differently and young ladies, particularly when drinking too much (and yes I know it's their fault for doing so) can be very vulnerable to the aggressive advances of young men, particularly where they don't want to be seen as "prudes" or not cool. Of course if young ladies (like many young men) want to be promiscuous, that's up to them.

What is reflected on the banner and, more so, in the fact that they felt comfortable enough to display it, is a perfect example of the mentality that leads guys to thoughtlessly seek to engage in non-consensual sexual activity with young ladies which often has very destructive consequences to the young ladies involved. So I think addressing the banner to show that approaches like that, even jokingly, should not be the norm among young men who ascribe to be gentlemen, is the right way to go and referring to it as PC or something like that misses the point. The mentality that fosters banners like that and a hundred examples of other similarly offensive utterances (whether sororities do it as well or not - and if they do, shame on them) is simply wrong and one of the ostensible things that college is supposed to teach young people - I would think - is the difference between right and wrong.
And I bet the lot of them don't drive nice cars either!

Reactions: CuredbywinningRU
This is a pretty standard Day 1 ploy, these days. When we dropped my oldest daughter off at UDel 6 years ago, one of the off-campus houses had a similar sign and a bunch of guys were hanging out near the sidewalk talking shit to passers-by.

Frankly, it seemed all in good fun and mostly harmless right up to the point where one of the inebriated idiots got too up close and personal. Fortunately for him, he responded really well to having both his carotids clamped shut for about 15 seconds.

Reactions: RCmike
Actually, no, it isn't.

Unless, of course, you're saying that "example of a mentality" somehow equates to a predictor of specific behavior, in this case rape?
I really don't get how you can say it's not what he meant? I'm not equating anything I'm reading his words.....
he followed example of mentality with " that leads guys to thoughtlessly seek to engage in non-consensual sexual activity"
How else are you supposed to take that?

I really don't get how you can say it's not what he meant? I'm not equating anything I'm reading his words.....
he followed example of mentality with " that leads guys to thoughtlessly seek to engage in non-consensual sexual activity"
How else are you supposed to take that?

You can take it as the 'signs are indicative of a mentality', not predictive of behavior. You said that such signs could help you identify rapists, but nothing about what he said suggests that.

The rest of the statement basically supported curbing the mentality. Incidentally, he didn't say anything about putting the students involved into an emergency pre-rapist intervention.

No not at all. Apparently being a college kid escapes you!

I was a college kid and did plenty stupid college kid stuff. Then I entered actual adulthood and learned how to tell the difference between "hilarious hijinks" and "truly inappropriate".

I was a college kid and did plenty stupid college kid stuff. Then I entered actual adulthood and learned how to tell the difference between "hilarious hijinks" and "truly inappropriate".

Good they didn't get there yet leave them alone. Not everyone walks around with a stick up their ass. Just saying.

Reactions: RCmike
Good they didn't get there yet leave them alone. Not everyone walks around with a stick up their ass. Just saying.

Once again, I was referencing the middle-aged adults on here (you?) that are dismissing this as "good ol' boy's fun". I can understand why college kids do something like this, but not so much why grown adults condone it.

Since I'm not a faculty member of Old Dominion, you can rest assured that I will be leaving the kids involved alone. Can't speak on behalf of those that are faculty members, though.

Reactions: gringo
so what exactly is the problem...what rule did these kids violate...oh I forgot the PC code where we have to protect every single person from a bad thought

I'm not going to give an opinion on this particular issue because what I think is of no consequence.

What I will say is be careful when you're advocating this or that person should be silenced or punished for what they say or in this case put on a old sheet.

Tomorrow it could be you.

Once again, I was referencing the middle-aged adults on here (you?) that are dismissing this as "good ol' boy's fun". I can understand why college kids do something like this, but not so much why grown adults condone it.

Since I'm not a faculty member of Old Dominion, you can rest assured that I will be leaving the kids involved alone. Can't speak on behalf of those that are faculty members, though.
So what should we do to them? Expel them, as someone suggested? What about the young women from the similarly themed photos above? Should they also be expelled?

Nobody can state with any kind of authority what the boys were thinking. Hell, if there are twenty boys involved in the making of those banners, you can bet there are at least five completely different viewpoints about the banners just among them.

If there are some boys in that hypothetical group of twenty that would do harm to a girl, that speaks to their upbringing or some genetic flaw but not to any immature banner jokes.

Last edited:
So what should we do to them? Expel them, as someone suggested? What about the young women from the similarly themed photos above? Should they also be expelled?

Nobody can state with any kind of authority what the boys were thinking. Hell, if there are twenty boys involved in the making of those banners, you can bet there are at least five completely different viewpoints about the banners just among them.

If there are some boys in that hypothetical group of twenty that would do harm to a girl, that speaks to their upbringing or some genetic flaw but not to any immature banner jokes.

I said a slap on the wrist already. Whatever the university does when kids violate general student conduct policy, which I'm sure is plenty general enough to cover something like this. Probationary "don't do it again" stuff. But something that sends a message of "don't turn our school into a national joke while harassing our newest members."

Forget about what they were thinking, completely irrelevant. This reflects poorly on the university. Period. The kids basically insulted new customers (incoming freshman and their parents). What would you do if someone did that in your business?

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I said a slap on the wrist already. Whatever the university does when kids violate general student conduct policy, which I'm sure is plenty general enough to cover something like this. Probationary "don't do it again" stuff. But something that sends a message of "don't turn our school into a national joke while harassing our newest members."

Forget about what they were thinking, completely irrelevant. This reflects poorly on the university. Period. The kids basically insulted new customers (incoming freshman and their parents). What would you do if someone did that in your business?

Yeah, but admit it - there's a part of you that wants to get a look at those ODU freshman moms.

Reactions: FanuSanu52

I like this Fanu. Send a message that it was a bad idea but don't overreact like some want.

It was funny (especially the moms line), but it was mildly inappropriate by today's standards. Slap them on the wrist with some minor punishment and move on.

It was funny (especially the moms line), but it was mildly inappropriate by today's standards. Slap them on the wrist with some minor punishment and move on.
Call their Moms and let the Mothers give them an earful

dance-mom.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: FanuSanu52
It's funny, come on.
Even my wife laughed. The PC Brigade is getting ridiculous.

It's funny, come on.
Even my wife laughed. The PC Brigade is getting ridiculous.

No, it's really not.

What's ridiculous is the amount of time some of you guys spend arguing over a total strawman.

No, it's really not.

What's ridiculous is the amount of time some of you guys spend arguing over a total strawman.

Wait...you don't think the banners are funny? In all complete sincerity/seriousness, I'd have thought you'd find it hysterical. It's harmless. They aren't going to go out and make someone rape someone else.
There are a lot more serious issues in life than banners saying get ready girls, and I want to bang your mom.

I had a full single life (maybe too rich - led me to be a bit too caddish for too long and to get married very late) vis a vis young ladies so I am not a prude by any means. However, I do not think what they wrote and displayed is just "fun" or funny. The fact is that in many case (not all) young men in college (and otherwise) view the boundaries of partying and the mating ritual very differently and young ladies, particularly when drinking too much (and yes I know it's their fault for doing so) can be very vulnerable to the aggressive advances of young men, particularly where they don't want to be seen as "prudes" or not cool. Of course if young ladies (like many young men) want to be promiscuous, that's up to them.

What is reflected on the banner and, more so, in the fact that they felt comfortable enough to display it, is a perfect example of the mentality that leads guys to thoughtlessly seek to engage in non-consensual sexual activity with young ladies which often has very destructive consequences to the young ladies involved. So I think addressing the banner to show that approaches like that, even jokingly, should not be the norm among young men who ascribe to be gentlemen, is the right way to go and referring to it as PC or something like that misses the point. The mentality that fosters banners like that and a hundred examples of other similarly offensive utterances (whether sororities do it as well or not - and if they do, shame on them) is simply wrong and one of the ostensible things that college is supposed to teach young people - I would think - is the difference between right and wrong.
Well said. This is indicative of campus culture where it is okay to degrade women. It's not okay with me and it shouldn't be okay with anyone else.

I'm all for free speech. They should be able to hang whatever signs they want. And if I was walking by their house I should have the right to tell them I think they are scumbags or call them scumbags on the Internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: gringo
Wait...you don't think the banners are funny? In all complete sincerity/seriousness, I'd have thought you'd find it hysterical. It's harmless. They aren't going to go out and make someone rape someone else.
There are a lot more serious issues in life than banners saying get ready girls, and I want to bang your mom.

Actually, disregard. This reply somehow wound up in entirely the wrong thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT