ADVERTISEMENT

Medical Hardship news

RU_87

Freshman
Aug 19, 2001
Bleacher Report Team Stream alert says "B1G says injured athlete who plays 4 gms in 1st half of season qualifies for medical hardship" re: an Iowa WR. I assume this would also apply to Grant?

Sorry couldn't figure out how to link from my BR app.

I would think so as well. Ash did say, in a press conference, that the NCAA hasn't been completely consistent in it's judgment on such things. Which I thought was an impolitic thing to say if you're about to petition the NCAA for something.

Nonetheless, Ash plans to submit the paperwork for the medical redshirt(s) and says he'll hope for the best.

Don't forget Lambert. Good for squad, and Lambert himself, if he wants to come back.

There is nothing but speculation around Vandeberg and getting a medical redshirt or medical hardship waiver. The same rule should apply to Grant, as they are both 4th year seniors injured after 4 games. But Ash is correct, these things seem to be applied inconsistently.

Good luck for both players getting another year.

they should change the rules:

for football - if injured in games 1-3 you can get another season; if in game 4 or 5 you get another season minus the 1st 2 games, if 6 or 7 you get another season minus the 1st 4 games.

Or maybe put a max number in where a student athlete is allowed a total of 48 regular season games in his college career so if he was active for 40 games (injured in the 4th game of his sr year) then with the hardship waiver he gets an additional 8 regular season games. This also helps if the player is inactive for 2 to 3 games in prior seasons because of documented injuries that can be added back at the end (bad sprain or slight muscle pull).

They need to make it fair for the student athletes.

the NCAA only makes a ruling IF the conference (b10) denies the application for an additional year,then the school /student athl can appeal to NCAA.

they should change the rules:

for football - if injured in games 1-3 you can get another season; if in game 4 or 5 you get another season minus the 1st 2 games, if 6 or 7 you get another season minus the 1st 4 games.

Or maybe put a max number in where a student athlete is allowed a total of 48 regular season games in his college career so if he was active for 40 games (injured in the 4th game of his sr year) then with the hardship waiver he gets an additional 8 regular season games. This also helps if the player is inactive for 2 to 3 games in prior seasons because of documented injuries that can be added back at the end (bad sprain or slight muscle pull).

They need to make it fair for the student athletes.

Bad idea to have a cap of 48 games. I could see teams abuse this by having their star players be "injured" all of a sudden when playing Directional U. so they can hold them to play a 5th year in a few key games.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Bad idea to have a cap of 48 games. I could see teams abuse this by having their star players be "injured" all of a sudden when playing Directional U. so they can hold them to play a 5th year in a few key games.

Then you're counting on a STAR player to stay until his Senior or RS Senior year.

If it remains that they can leave after 3 years removed from HS nothing changes.

There is nothing but speculation around Vandeberg and getting a medical redshirt or medical hardship waiver. The same rule should apply to Grant, as they are both 4th year seniors injured after 4 games. But Ash is correct, these things seem to be applied inconsistently.

Good luck for both players getting another year.
Actually, injured during the 4th game, not after 4 games...huge difference in this situation

Actually, injured during the 4th game, not after 4 games...huge difference in this situation
Right. The discussion in another thread included quotes from the rules that the rule basically says that after rounding up, you can play in NO MORE THAN 4 games to get the redshirt. It seems from the rule, that a player injured in the 4th game should be a rubber stamp for a medical red shirt?

It is up to the conference. So if the Big Ten Approves it, he will automatically get it? Is that correct?

As far as Grant, it depends what NFL scouts advise him, play another year or come out.

I think that would be the case with all players with NFL talent.

Don't understand why a conference would rule against a medical redshirt request for one of its own member schools. Doesn't make any sense that this is up to the conference and not the NCAA. Why wouldn't they grant it every single time?

That's really good news, should Janarion Grant decide to return. Wonder how long before he makes his decision to stay, go to the NFL or graduate transfer. Would hope the last option is not on his list of choices.
Graduate Transfer? Seriously what's wrong with you?

Reactions: zgoru
Don't understand why a conference would rule against a medical redshirt request for one of its own member schools. Doesn't make any sense that this is up to the conference and not the NCAA. Why wouldn't they grant it every single time?

I guess they would most times unless a school was trying to abuse the system or something.

Grant should come back. He's an electric college player but in the NFL he's a special teams player who perhaps can develop into a slot receiver in a couple years. Those players generally are not drafted too high. With another year of tape in college he likely can raise his profile and further develop as a receiver. Also, he needs to be fully healthy or he won't show well in combine, etc.

Grant should come back. He's an electric college player but in the NFL he's a special teams player who perhaps can develop into a slot receiver in a couple years. Those players generally are not drafted too high. With another year of tape in college he likely can raise his profile and further develop as a receiver. Also, he needs to be fully healthy or he won't show well in combine, etc.
Let's not forget that next year there will be a QB that will be able to get the ball to him all over the field.

Conversely we just saw how an injury can ruin it all. Say he comes back and get's hurt again. How does the NFL view him then?

He'll probably test the waters see if there is interest, and make his decision from there.

So back to Lambert for one second. Is it out of the question he get's a waiver? Is there any precedent?

So back to Lambert for one second. Is it out of the question he get's a waiver? Is there any precedent?
They would have to provide medical documentation that he missed his entire true freshmen year due to injury. So unless he had a secret injury or they are going to falsify medical records it will not happen.

Conversely we just saw how an injury can ruin it all. Say he comes back and get's hurt again. How does the NFL view him then?

He'll probably test the waters see if there is interest, and make his decision from there.
I think it will all depend on if he can perform for scouts or not. If he can't then he will return to prove he not loss any athletic ability.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I saw that article. If you read it, it says it's unlikely that the waiver is approved. The WR played over 30% of the season.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I saw that article. If you read it, it says it's unlikely that the waiver is approved. The WR played over 30% of the season.
What? Please explain:

UPDATE: Iowa's Matt VandeBerg likely to qualify for medical redshirt
"Because VandeBerg would have played in four of the scheduled 13 regular-season games (the Big Ten Conference title game counts, regardless if Iowa plays in it), he is at, but not over, the limit. For NCAA purposes, 30 percent is equal to 3.9 games and would round up to four."

Reactions: OriginalKnight
If he can get the hardship, it would make NO sense for him to come out but I've seen dumber things happen. First of all, to even be a late round pick, we would need an eye opening combine or pro day. My understanding he would not even be ready by then. With the injury, he would be very lucky to be a priority FA. This is not a knock at all but the reality.
BTW- I dont see how the B1G and then the NCAA rules against it since he is a highlight reel.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If he can get the hardship, it would make NO sense for him to come out but I've seen dumber things happen. First of all, to even be a late round pick, we would need an eye opening combine or pro day. My understanding he would not even be ready by then. With the injury, he would be very lucky to be a priority FA. This is not a knock at all but the reality.
BTW- I dont see how the B1G and then the NCAA rules against it since he is a highlight reel.
#GrantForHeisman2017

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT