ADVERTISEMENT

Memorable bowl trip experiences

JoeRU0304

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2005
...wanna lighten the mood after the Field situation...

One of my more memorable experiences was at the '08 Papajohn's Bowl at Legion Field, where some budding entrepreneurs were waving people into 'reduced fare' parking lots ($5 as opposed to the $10 stadium lots), which ended up being private property they had no connection to. A number of the cars ended up getting towed (and no, we parked in the stadium lot). We were also tailgating for about an hour or so after the game and the Birmingham police came up to us and told us the lot will be closing soon and that "you don't want to be around much after the lot closes." The area around Legion Field was clearly run down (it reminded me of the area by the old Pabst factory on the Newark/ Irvington border) so we closed up shop and went back the hotel.

I also remember going to the UAB board while planning the trip and asking their fans about some of the hotels within a mile or so of Legion Field and I could practically hear the collective "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" through the monitor. Overall the trip was a great experience and the drive was actually beautiful in terms of scenery.

Joe P.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News