ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Somerville

That Cuban restaurant was very good, if it’s the place I’m thinking of (a couple blocks west of Alphonsos and on the opposite side of the street). I was bummed that it closed.
It’s not closed it just moved to another space

Reactions: Leonard23
My favorite pizza ever is the sausage pizza at Alfonsos. Something about the mozzarella. Also there is a bit more crust to it and im really not a fan of very thin crust pizza

Reactions: T2Kplus20
My favorite pizza ever is the sausage pizza at Alfonsos. Something about the mozzarella. Also there is a bit more crust to it and im really not a fan of very thin crust pizza
Agree on that Bac, their sausage is to die for !!!

I’m bemused that someone’s temper would ever be frayed by a simple rivals forum. ☺️

Come to think of it…it is more hilarious than bemusing! 🤭

Looks like it moved right around the corner. If that is, indeed, the same place as the one I was writing about, then it has changed the menu almost completely from what I remember. The old place was a very simple, casual, tables and chairs kind of place where the service was friendly and the food was both simple and extremely good.

Whereas this new place appears, from the menu and website photos at least, to be a high-falutin hoity-toity brunch place, with a latin-ish lean on some dishes. It might be great, I can't say. But it's very different from the original place.

The website gives mixed messages about it being open for dinner. A couple places say open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But the hours listed show it closing at 2:30pm during the week, 3pm on the weekend.

Looks like it moved right around the corner. If that is, indeed, the same place as the one I was writing about, then it has changed the menu almost completely from what I remember. The old place was a very simple, casual, tables and chairs kind of place where the service was friendly and the food was both simple and extremely good.

Whereas this new place appears, from the menu and website photos at least, to be a high-falutin hoity-toity brunch place, with a latin-ish lean on some dishes. It might be great, I can't say. But it's very different from the original place.

The website gives mixed messages about it being open for dinner. A couple places say open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But the hours listed show it closing at 2:30pm during the week, 3pm on the weekend.
It's the son's restaurant and he created his own menu, which is a modern spin on Cuban food and now a ton of brunch items, but the food is excellent, albeit very different from his father's restaurant. It's not high-falutin hoity-toity. Best birria tacos. I've tried a bunch of different dishes and all were good: birria tacos, steak and eggs, ropa vieja when they have it, shrimp and grits, brunch burger, garlic butter shrimp, and the brunch stuff like waffles, pancakes, French toast and eggs. The mocktails and coffee drinks are good too. It switched to mostly brunch hours the past few years, because he wanted more family time, but they occasionally throw up some dinner hours on Instagram (not often).

Reactions: mildone
It's the son's restaurant and he created his own menu, which is a modern spin on Cuban food and now a ton of brunch items, but the food is excellent, albeit very different from his father's restaurant. It's not high-falutin hoity-toity. Best birria tacos. I've tried a bunch of different dishes and all were good: birria tacos, steak and eggs, ropa vieja when they have it, shrimp and grits, brunch burger, garlic butter shrimp, and the brunch stuff like waffles, pancakes, French toast and eggs. The mocktails and coffee drinks are good too. It switched to mostly brunch hours the past few years, because he wanted more family time, but they occasionally throw up some dinner hours on Instagram (not often).
I saw tres leches french toast. That's pretty hoity toity. 😀

In the H&B business, we serve only the finest quattro leches which adds, let's just say, an even fresher milk to the mix.

Anyway, perhaps I'll give it a try. If I'm lucky, I might even be able to bring the friend with whom I discovered the original place. Gotta figure out how to get her husband out of the way first, though. Hm...

One of the busiest streets in Somerville closing for a month​

So getting to the parking lot back by Shoprite will not be possible from Main St. People will have to use Veterans Memory Drive to get to that lot from the other (the south) side.

Good to know. Although I will surely forget until I encounter the no-left-turn off Main. 🙂

Not good. Hope everyone is ok.

The first alarm was received at 2:12 p.m., reporting a fire at 6 E. Main St., the location of King Tut restaurant; other restaurants affected were Mike's Courtside at the corner of Main Street and Bridge Street; Sushi Yokohama at 12 West Main St. and Savor, 18 West Main Street. The fire progressed east to west, with smoke seeping through the rooftops and windows.

Not good. Hope everyone is ok.

The first alarm was received at 2:12 p.m., reporting a fire at 6 E. Main St., the location of King Tut restaurant; other restaurants affected were Mike's Courtside at the corner of Main Street and Bridge Street; Sushi Yokohama at 12 West Main St. and Savor, 18 West Main Street. The fire progressed east to west, with smoke seeping through the rooftops and windows.
Terrible -- especially we were just there on Friday! Yes, let's hope everyone is OK. It's sad that restaurants are often a source of fires.

Reactions: Leonard23
My understanding is that a number of fire fighters had to be treated for smoke inhalation. There were no other injuries. There are apartments above the restaurants, and at least one family (that included a child in kindergarten) lost its home.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
(Not that anyone noticed, but I took a break for a few days because my temper was getting frayed.)

Yesterday my wife and I drove our new Subaru Forester to Somerville to pick up a document at the Borough Hall. We asked the Borough clerk where to eat. She said, "what country?" We said "Italy!" and she suggested Savor Restaurant. We were very impressed by the vitality of Main Street -- there are many restaurants and interesting shops. The restaurant was marvelous and not even all that expensive although we both had salads, an entree and dessert. And the manager ran after us because I had left my credit card behind!

Somerville is about 60 miles from our home in Cherry Hill. The Forester's nav system wanted us to go up the Turnpike. Presumably we would have been told to exit at Route 9, take River Road to 287, and then go up 287 to Bridgewater. I dislike driving that route; even after the re-construction, I find Route 18 and River Road difficult. So instead we took I-295 to Princeton Pike. I anticipated we would then go to 206 and take 206 up. Instead the GPS put us on Great Road, which was bucolic and went past a lot of rich people's homes (as well as a bunch of private schools. We then connected with the Blondi by-pass and reached Borough Hall via Somerset street.

We were going home at rush hour (actually, it seems like rush hour in NJ is now 24/7!) and the GPS had us leave Great Road at Cherry Valley Road, then took us to Carter Road and from there to 295. I don't know the geography, but it seems to me that the GPS was doing everything possible to route us around Princeton.

I had been anticipating this trip with dread -- but both the journey and the destination were wonderful!
The

Malocchio​

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT