ADVERTISEMENT

Mets v Yankees 2015: Who's better?

Perhaps I have my orange and blue glasses on but I think these Mets are measurably better than their crosstown counterparts. Here's my position by position breakdown:

C- METS: Travis D'Arnaud bat was coming around when he got hurt. He's hit over .300 since last August. His replacement Plawecki is a highly regarded prospect. McCann hasn't panned out, where he was supposed to hit for power in that stadium.

1B- EVEN: Duda has been hitting for average and we know he's good for 25 HRs. Injury-prone Texiera is up to 7 HRs and can get to 35 HRs if he stays gluten-free.

2B- METS: Murphy is a .280-.300 hitter who is hitting .200. Right now Drew hasn't shown the ability to hit even .250.

SS- METS: Flores is all bat and no D. Gregorious is the opposite but has had some struggles fielding.

3B- EVEN: Chase Headley was a good trade for the Yankees and is offensively at the same level as David Wright, who appears to be in the tail end of his career.

LF: YANKEES: Brett Gardner is the probably the best homegrown Yankee position player right now and can do more than Cuddyer can.

CF: EVEN: Lagares is a Gold Glove CF and is coming into his own on offense. Elsbury is a dynamic player when healthy but hasn't hit like he has in his better Red Sox years.

RF: METS: the overpaid Granderson gets a slight edge over Beltran, who probably should have retired after last year.

SP: METS: I don't think one person would be surprised if Tanaka gets pulled from one of his upcoming starts and opts for season ending surgery the next day. Pineda looks like the best Yankee SP right now. The Mets top 4 of Harvey-DeGrom-Bartolo-Niese is heads and shoulders above Tanaka-Pineda-CC-Eovaldi.

RPs: YANKEES: the Mets bullpen has been solid, even with the loss of Parnell and Mejia but the Yanks have been great. Betances is a stud and Miller has looked good as the closer.

Bench: YANKEES: I hate to say it but ARod is a better hitter than anyone on the Mets' bench, which is pretty sparse.
Bump

Reactions: rutgerssax
I have no ax to grind against Mets fans or the Mets.
Life long Yankees fan would love a repeat of the Subway Series.
Watching the Yankees win another game tonight. I never expected this team would be this good.
Someone mentioned that the Yankees can't win in this time frame is looking silly
As a Mets fan, I have no ax to grind against the Yankees. If we played in the same league even maybe that'd be different, but the 4 to 6 regular season games a year we play against each other its momentary bragging rights. And I'd love another Subway Series, New York as the center of the baseball universe as it should be.

Yanks have better record in a much better division.
However, both teams have their holes

LOL with this thread.
Everyday the toll collector at Watching Ave GSP entrance asked my dad, who's gonna win tonight Yogi?...everyday dad would say how the hell do I know.
If I asked my dad today who's better Mets or Yanks? He'd say: who cares they're in the other league.
Still, always fun to compare and argue over

Last edited:
The Mets have the more exciting pitching staff but both teams are playing well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT