ADVERTISEMENT

Miami NIL article in the WSJ

Ok , 1 good year the fanbase can be proud of . A few mediocre years .
You fail to mention we can also go buy off other players . Our fate in our our hands.
We stunk before NIL. We can stink with NIL. It’s up to us.
As Ralph kiner was once told as you know , “we finished last with you, we can finish last without you”
We demonstrated we were capable of being good under the old system. We mostly didn't make an effort, so we mostly performed poorly. But when we did make an effort, after five years of putting in the work, we had a Top 10 football team (and that was in a dogshit conference).

Now, under the new system, we have no chance. None. The school doesn't own a money printing press - other schools do.

Reactions: zappaa
You should check the NFL rosters if you think we didn’t have excellent talent for multiple years.
Ray Rice played 3 and Brian Leonard played 4 alone.
I fail to mention it because we aren’t buying anyone of substance
I never said we didn’t .
But we stunk or were mediocre.
Cmon zap. Fate is in fans hands
Do you not think the kiner quote applies?

We demonstrated we were capable of being good under the old system. We mostly didn't make an effort, so we mostly performed poorly. But when we did make an effort, after five years of putting in the work, we had a Top 10 football team (and that was in a dogshit conference).

Now, under the new system, we have no chance. None. The school doesn't own a money printing press - other schools do.
So if we have no chance why are you following the program?

I agree . . but doesn't the quality of play affect your level of interest in a sports league?
The quality of play and the competition is good in D1 college baseball. It is a lot fun to go to games and root for these athletes representing Rutgers and NJ.

How many Rutgers baseball games have you attended?

Last edited:
You are of course right that pro players are better than college players in football and basketball. But pro football and college football are different in the way the game is played, and the same is true in basketball. People on this board prefer the college style in both cases. I frequently read here posts from fervent basketball fans who can't stand the NBA. But I don't know if that logic applies to baseball. Is college baseball really that different in style from the majors? And are the differences likely to attract fans to college baseball?
Not sure if anyone responded to your question. To me it’s a very similar game as MLB. In fact, I really can’t think of a major difference, other than the pitchers don’t often hit 100 MPH and maybe have a little less control.

College baseball is a very good product, and I love following Rutgers baseball. HC Steve Owens is a winner and he and his staff recruit VERY well. A very close friend of mine is a Community College Baseball HC, and he says on the recruiting trail that a ton of talented HS players and their coaches love Rutgers.

Last edited:
Eventually they will unionize and become employees of each conference. Will be very easy to work out tbh.
BTW, one of the provisions of the NIL bill above would prevent student athletes from being considered employees. That would prevent unionization. But who knows if it will pass and in what form.

BTW, one of the provisions of the NIL bill above would prevent student athletes from being considered employees. That would prevent unionization. But who knows if it will pass and in what form.
Once upon a time RU was going to die in the Big East and shut down the football program.

Things change. I think within 5-10 years the B1G and SEC separate from the NCAA and these guys become employees.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Once upon a time RU was going to die in the Big East and shut down the football program.

Things change. I think within 5-10 years the B1G and SEC separate from the NCAA and these guys become employees.
Lots of people expect that to happen but not with all of the programs in the B1G and SEC.

More of a column A (big time programs that make big money) and column B) everyone else.

Lots of people expect that to happen but not with all of the programs in the B1G and SEC.

More of a column A (big time programs that make big money) and column B) everyone else.
Meaning 1 division of the Michigan, Ohio states, Alabama’s of the world? And a 2nd division of the Rutgers of the world?

If so, I disagree

Meaning 1 division of the Michigan, Ohio states, Alabama’s of the world? And a 2nd division of the Rutgers of the world?

If so, I disagree
No, he means one mega-conference of Professional college football - comprised of the 35-40 biggest college fanbases ... and everyone else playing non-scholarship sports (like the Ivy League). And he's further saying that being in the 2023 Big Ten or SEC is not going to be an automatic invitation into SuperConference.

Right now, you've got 32 teams in these conferences ... and auto-includes would probably include Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Stanford, North Carolina and some others (BYU? Washington?). There's not a lot of margin for error for the Rutgers-like schools.

Last edited:
No, he means one mega-conference of Professional college football - comprised of the 35-40 biggest college fanbases ... and everyone else playing non-scholarship sports (like the Ivy League). And he's further saying that being in the 2023 Big Ten or SEC is not going to be an automatic invitation into SuperConference.

Right now, you've got 32 teams in these conferences ... and auto-includes would probably include Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Stanford, North Carolina and some others (BYU? Washington?). There's not a lot of margin for error for the Rutgers-like schools.
Disagree.

I think Rutgers is totally fine, as are other fringe schools.

It if comes down to athletes being employees paid by universities the public ones will have to release employee compensation numbers

Saw it everywhere.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...dia-rights-agreement-fox-cbs-nbc?platform=amp

"The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic."
The article began, "The Big Ten has completed a new seven-year media rights agreement." That statement is false.

Do you trust this reporting? I don't.

The article began, "The Big Ten has completed a new seven-year media rights agreement." That statement is false.

Do you trust this reporting? I don't.
didn't that deal get signed in 2022 and will start July of this year.?
If not true, what is true?

I think (but am not sure) that what he is talking about is that there is apparently an unresolved issue. https://www.espn.com/college-footba...missioner-television-deal-coaches-uncertainty
thanks, know there's an unresolved issue , but didn't think about that when I asked .
Sounds like a reasonable reason to think deal isn't complete like reported.
CBS and other media outlets reported the deal like ESPN did and all reported a done deal without knowing there was a fly in the ointment.

If so, I disagree
Yes, that is what I'm hearing, repeatedly, from people who pay far more attention to college football than I do.

As far as I'm concerned they can do whatever they want with conferences. Just don't screw up the NCAA Tournament.

thanks, know there's an unresolved issue , but didn't think about that when I asked .
Sounds like a reasonable reason to think deal isn't complete like reported.
CBS and other media outlets reported the deal like ESPN did and all reported a done deal without knowing there was a fly in the ointment.
It sounds to me like a minor issue -- it doesn't involve much money. As I understand it, the rest of the deal is in place, so really this isn't a big stumbling block.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Reporting does not equal fact. An ESPN article means nothing, maybe less. Reporters lie.

Fact: The Big Ten announced in an August 2022 press release a media rights agreement.

https://bigten.org/news/2022/8/18/g...-collegiate-sports-conference-in-history.aspx

Fact: ESPN reported the press release - the Big Ten media rights agreement - as fact.

Fact: The agreement does not exist. ESPN published details of a non-existent agreement.

Fact: When a negotiation is on the rocks, anything can happen. Ideally, cool minds prevail, then an understanding is reached. However, after an institution announces an agreement that nine months on cannot be put into a contract, something is wrong.

Let us be honest here. The $100 million windfall dream will not come true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT