ADVERTISEMENT

Miami NIL article in the WSJ

It's good to see Nilgel Pack's old team, K State, not miss a beat ... they're actually better this year.

You mean back to the Pre-NIL system of select schools paying players under the table that everyone hated?
The system that resulted in weekly "recruiting scandal" threads?

How is that a solution?
Do we really think that NIL has stopped shady payments? While more is out in the open, I doubt everyone gets to see all the back end deals lods are getting. Why would you ever want to show your hand completely?
The biggest issue for me in all this is that NIL falls to businesses, boosters, and the school in athlete support. The true business that should be paying this money out is the NCAA who makes billions off these kids.
Also the private NIL money is taking away from the school support that funds facilities and scholarships.

You mean back to the Pre-NIL system of select schools paying players under the table that everyone hated?
The system that resulted in weekly "recruiting scandal" threads?

How is that a solution?
Every player can receive a stipend of $10,000 max per year. No exceptions. Paid by the school. No NIL .

Ding. Ding. Ding.

There are two ways to solve the problem ...

1. Congress provides an exemption to the NCAA and things go back to normal, or
2. The Big 10 and SEC simultaneously ban NIL in their conferences (without colluding) and things go back to normal

Anything less and you have a Professional College Sports League (of approximately 40 schools) within 15-20 years and every other school in the country starts dropping scholarships (and entire athletics departments) because they have no hope of competing.
Hahahaha! The SEC banning NIL so that they can go back to paying players under the table!

NCAA can’t fix the problem without killing the NCAA.

This issue gets resolved when the students become official employees of the conference/schools.

Then they can sign non-competes which will allow the B1G to limit back door deals.

Salary cap gets introduced.

NCAA gets killed. B1G and SEC run college athletics.
I think it’s just a matter of time until that last thing happens
I don’t want it to happen but I think it will

NCAA really screwed this up
Agree, if they realized earlier where this was going, they could have developed ground rules that included limitations per player and a total cap per team. Since it was zero before, it would have had a good chance. For example $100,000 per player max and a million for basketball team and maybe 5 million for football team with annual adjustments. Now it’s out of control with no limits and frankly a lot of BS. Companies are paying a lot more than they get in business returns , but are alumni or supporters that can charge it off as a business expense. So essentially we are all paying for it with inflation. I may be wrong but I believe Geo and the others would have been happy with a starting point of $100,000 which he never enjoyed.

Agree, if they realized earlier where this was going, they could have developed ground rules that included limitations per player and a total cap per team. Since it was zero before, it would have had a good chance. For example $100,000 per player max and a million for basketball team and maybe 5 million for football team with annual adjustments. Now it’s out of control with no limits and frankly a lot of BS. Companies are paying a lot more than they get in business returns , but are alumni or supporters that can charge it off as a business expense. So essentially we are all paying for it with inflation. I may be wrong but I believe Geo and the others would have been happy with a starting point of $100,000 which he never enjoyed.
If the NCAA set salaries like that they’d still have lost Alston

Well they couldn’t set a cap because the ruling was that the NCAA couldn’t prohibit the student athletes from benefiting off their NIL.

That’s why I say the only way it changes is if they become employees of the B1G or SEC or whatever.

If that happens, they will need to sign 4 year contracts (with pro opt out options). Each conference would have set deals with car companies, restaurants, athletic wear, etc etc. Then the students are limited to what they can collect off NIL.

Effectively the NCAA would need to die.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Well they couldn’t set a cap because the ruling was that the NCAA couldn’t prohibit the student athletes from benefiting off their NIL.

That’s why I say the only way it changes is if they become employees of the B1G or SEC or whatever.

If that happens, they will need to sign 4 year contracts (with pro opt out options). Each conference would have set deals with car companies, restaurants, athletic wear, etc etc. Then the students are limited to what they can collect off NIL.

Effectively the NCAA would need to die.
The ruling was anti-trust based. The NCAA suppresses compensation for at least some of their athletes below what a free market would allow. The court treated the NCAA like a monopoly as the only buyer of the athletes' services. Any limit the NCAA imposes on NIL would not stand court scrutiny, same if the conferences acted in concert. (again, I'm not a lawyer, but I like reading).

Some light reading :-) https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf

And that surprises you ?
Ha! There is nothing the NCAA could have done that would have been a solution because the problem is that what they've been doing for decades is illegal, unethical and immoral.
Coaches make millions, administrators make millions, schools reap millions and athletes can't be paid.
It's amazing it took this long to start getting caught.

Every player can receive a stipend of $10,000 max per year. No exceptions. Paid by the school. No NIL .
They were already getting that or very close to it with the Cost of Attendance stipend that no athlete ever talks about but gladly cashes the check for, because it doesn't fit the victim narrative or amount to enough to provide bottle service in the club every weekend which is the lifestyle they all want to perpetrate. Far easier to look into the webcam with Sarah McLachlan singing "Arms of the Angels" in the background and tell tales of woe about a kid with a music scholarship getting a couple bucks for working on someone's album who DOESN'T get a Cost of Attendance stipend having an unfair advantage.

They were already getting that or very close to it with the Cost of Attendance stipend that no athlete ever talks about but gladly cashes the check for, because it doesn't fit the victim narrative or amount to enough to provide bottle service in the club every weekend which is the lifestyle they all want to perpetrate. Far easier to look into the webcam with Sarah McLachlan singing "Arms of the Angels" in the background and tell tales of woe about a kid with a music scholarship getting a couple bucks for working on someone's album who DOESN'T get a Cost of Attendance stipend having an unfair advantage.
Do you work for free? or do you just want others to do so for your enjoyment?

Reactions: Plum Street
Do you work for free? or do you just want others to do so for your enjoyment?
Let's see, if I was a young person working for a company that provided me with free housing, free food, free education so that when my time working for them was complete (a 4 year contract) and I didn't have what it takes to succeed at the next level of the job I was performing for them I had all the tools necessary to find another path and if I did have what it takes to succeed at the next level my earning potential becomes almost limitless as long as I continue to work my ass off? I think I'd take that deal.

You're barking up the wrong tree with this bullsh*t argument working "only for my enjoyment" nonsense. None of the sh*t mentioned above comes 'free'. Call me whatever you like but working for a $100K+ scholarship that will give me an enormous leg up in the world should I not make the pros after 4 years all while living essentially free during that time + the Cost of Attendance stipend to keep a little spending money in my pocket seems like a good goddamned deal to me that I would jump on in a heartbeat. That doesn't include what my earning potential becomes if I am good enough to make the pros which I was able to achieve through the training provided me as well as the amazing amounts of exposure provided to gain attention from potential deep pocketed future employers over and over again.

Your free work for other's meager applause isn't as compelling as you think.

Reactions: toby83 and AZBlues
Let's see, if I was a young person working for a company that provided me with free housing, free food, free education so that when my time working for them was complete (a 4 year contract) and I didn't have what it takes to succeed at the next level of the job I was performing for them I had all the tools necessary to find another path and if I did have what it takes to succeed at the next level my earning potential becomes almost limitless as long as I continue to work my ass off? I think I'd take that deal.

You're barking up the wrong tree with this bullsh*t argument working "only for my enjoyment" nonsense. None of the sh*t mentioned above comes 'free'. Call me whatever you like but working for a $100K+ scholarship that will give me an enormous leg up in the world should I not make the pros after 4 years all while living essentially free during that time + the Cost of Attendance stipend to keep a little spending money in my pocket seems like a good goddamned deal to me that I would jump on in a heartbeat. That doesn't include what my earning potential becomes if I am good enough to make the pros which I was able to achieve through the training provided me as well as the amazing amounts of exposure provided to gain attention from potential deep pocketed future employers over and over again.

A lot of words with no meaning, except maybe jealousy. Nobody wants to work for as significantly less than their market value as top NCAA athletes were doing.
What the NCAA did for decades was illegal, unethical and immoral.

A lot of words with no meaning, except maybe jealousy. Nobody wants to work for as significantly less than their market value as top NCAA athletes were doing.
What the NCAA did for decades was illegal, unethical and immoral.
Spare me.

I replied to someone else, you asked for my reasoning. I gave it to you. I almost give a sh*t what you think.

I don’t get your point . You don’t like the way college athletics is set up but you will continue to be interested in it ?

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Then the best players will be paid under the table. And the NCAA will land all over Directional Drillbit Tech for giving a player a 25.00 Subway gift card when the can't miss 5 star NFL prospect at Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State/Clemson gets the heavy bag of cash.

NCAA can’t fix the problem without killing the NCAA.

This issue gets resolved when the students become official employees of the conference/schools.

Then they can sign non-competes which will allow the B1G to limit back door deals.

Salary cap gets introduced.

NCAA gets killed. B1G and SEC run college athletics.
They can still sign endorsements with NIL on top of that. The top nfl/nba players make more off of NIL than the the collective bargaining. Bottom line is you can’t limit what a student makes outside the University/NCAA.

If you could put a price tag on the exposure Life Wallet got from that deal, I wonder what if they made money on it or if it was mostly a donation to Miami sports. I don't think the LW guy cares, just interesting because it was/is such a big story.
Donation.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

There are two ways to solve the problem ...

1. Congress provides an exemption to the NCAA and things go back to normal, or
2. The Big 10 and SEC simultaneously ban NIL in their conferences (without colluding) and things go back to normal

Anything less and you have a Professional College Sports League (of approximately 40 schools) within 15-20 years and every other school in the country starts dropping scholarships (and entire athletics departments) because they have no hope of competing.
The latter is very possible and would be a tragedy for college sports and thousands of kids who will never play pro anything just so college football and basketball players can make money for a few years.

Notre Dame's president and AD have just proposed the exact opposite approach: that rules like one-and-done be abolished so that kids could sign with professional teams right out of high school and be assigned to farm teams, just as in baseball. College teams would consist of kids who actually want to go to college and not include those who are attending simply to meet the requirements for being drafted.
The problem is the owners are split on getting rid of one and done, some want to a shot at the players early as possible, others like having one free year of additional evaluation against higher level competition. The players union is against getting rid of it, because they represent existing players, not prospective players, and some existing players would lose their jobs if more younger players were eligible earlier.

The problem is the owners are split on getting rid of one and done, some want to a shot at the players early as possible, others like having one free year of additional evaluation against higher level competition. The players union is against getting rid of it, because they represent existing players, not prospective players, and some existing players would lose their jobs if more younger players were eligible earlier.
The owners not wanting it are probably thinking why pony up dollars to train a kid to see if he can further develop when the colleges can do it for you without cost.

They can still sign endorsements with NIL on top of that. The top nfl/nba players make more off of NIL than the the collective bargaining. Bottom line is you can’t limit what a student makes outside the University/NCAA.
Not if you make them sign non-competes.

Behind a paywall but here it is:

On the men’s team, Nijel Pack is an $800,000 player. Shortly after he transferred from Kansas State, he signed a two-year endorsement deal with Ruiz’s healthcare company, LifeWallet, that pays him $400,000 annually. He has been Miami’s go-to 3-point shooter this postseason. His teammate Isaiah Wong, the Hurricanes’ lead scorer in 2022-23, is also making six figures. Upon learning of Pack’s exorbitant deal, Wong’s agent laid down an ultimatum to Ruiz: pay up or watch his client transfer. Wong later said his agent had spoken out of turn and that he did not plan to leave Coral Gables.

Wong stuck around and was named Atlantic Coast Conference athlete of the year. There don’t appear to be any hard feelings: Ruiz was on hand in Albany, N.Y., for the Miami men’s first two games of the tournament.

That’s legit NIL

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Do we really think that NIL has stopped shady payments? While more is out in the open, I doubt everyone gets to see all the back end deals lods are getting. Why would you ever want to show your hand completely?
The biggest issue for me in all this is that NIL falls to businesses, boosters, and the school in athlete support. The true business that should be paying this money out is the NCAA who makes billions off these kids.
Also the private NIL money is taking away from the school support that funds facilities and scholarships.
The Reiber’s of the world wouldn’t get a penny to transfer in the shady payments world of the past.
I knew Dan Marino and Hugh Greene well, granted it’s the old days…they both got apartments and cars, that’s it!.

Brian Leonard and Ray Rice were imo in the top 3 in their position groups in the country … did you worry about them getting bought from us?

Huge difference

The Reiber’s of the world wouldn’t get a penny to transfer in the shady payments world of the past.
In knew Dan Marino and Hugh Greene well, granted it’s the old days…they both got apartments and cars, that’s it!.

Brian Leonard and Ray Rice were imo in the top 3 in their position groups… did you worry about them getting bought from us?

Huge difference
Apartments and cars? That’s all??

NIL is here to stay unless Congress does something . Us fans have accepted it

Apartments and cars? That’s all??

NIL is here to stay unless Congress does something . Us fans have accepted it
Yes that’s it, they didn’t pay for their apartments and got a car.
You think that’s a big deal comparatively?
My post was addressing someone who said things really haven’t changed, it’s just out in the open.
That’s incorrect

My post was addressing someone who said things really haven’t changed, it’s just out in the open.
That’s incorrect
Right. But it gives a school like rutgers a chance . Rutgers was a perennial loser under the old system . Now there is hope

Right. But it gives a school like rutgers a chance . Rutgers was a perennial loser under the old system . Now there is hope
I completely disagree.
Under the old rules we could assemble another 2006 caliber team without concern of our players being bought off.
NFL level talent all over the field on both sides of the ball for years under GS 1.

The argument whether GS didn’t get them ready for Cincinnati and WVU is up for debate

That’s incorrect

College sports as a whole is a much bigger business.

How much were schools making back then compared to now?
Players likely only got apartments and a car because the money in the sport overall was less.

$1m isn't really a lot when the AD is making $60-70m a year in media revenue alone.
Soon to be nearly $100m.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
I completely disagree.
Under the old rules we could assemble another 2006 caliber team without concern of our players being bought off.
NFL level talent all over the field on both sides of the ball for years under GS 1.

The argument whether GS didn’t get them ready for Cincinnati and WVU is up for debate
Ok , 1 good year the fanbase can be proud of . A few mediocre years .
You fail to mention we can also go buy off other players . Our fate in our our hands.
We stunk before NIL. We can stink with NIL. It’s up to us.
As Ralph kiner was once told as you know , “we finished last with you, we can finish last without you”

Ok , 1 good year the fanbase can be proud of . A few mediocre years .
You fail to mention we can also go buy off other players . Our fate in our our hands.
We stunk before NIL. We can stink with NIL. It’s up to us.
As Ralph kiner was once told as you know , “we finished last with you, we can finish last without you”
You should check the NFL rosters if you think we didn’t have excellent talent for multiple years.
Ray Rice played 3 and Brian Leonard played 4 alone.
I fail to mention it because we aren’t buying anyone of substance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT