ADVERTISEMENT

Misses into "kisses" would solve a lot

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
Simply, if we convert a higher percentage of shots in Columbus on Wednesday night, we'll have a decent shot of winning.

The past two games have been a Knightmare, to be sure. Combined, our FG percentage was 39-124 (31.5%) and from beyond the arc... 8-45 (17.8%). Putrid. So bad it's practically hard to believe.

I'm banking on the fact we used up our unspeakable share of misses vs. Mississippi State and Stonehill. In Columbus, we'll trade 'em in for a respectable percentage.

Beat the Buckeyes! Time to avenge last season's travesty.

BillRafteryWithAKissTee_1080x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Cue the “and if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle” response.

Sorry for the snark, but yeah, if we hit more shots, we’d have a better chance to win. But other than the SHU game, when have we shot really well this year?

Reactions: RUJMM78
Cue the “and if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle” response.

Sorry for the snark, but yeah, if we hit more shots, we’d have a better chance to win. But other than the SHU game, when have we shot really well this year?
Oh, I hear ya... and understand completely.

I simply can't believe we are as bad a shooting team as we've show the last two games.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if we don't shoot better in Columbus. If we don't shoot in the neighborhood of 40% on 2s and 30% on 3s Wednesday night, I'll be ready to give up all hope of competing in the NCAA, or even the NIT, in March.

Reactions: Degaz-RU

Simply, if we convert a higher percentage of shots in Columbus on Wednesday night, we'll have a decent shot of winning.

The past two games have been a Knightmare, to be sure. Combined, our FG percentage was 39-124 (31.5%) and from beyond the arc... 8-45 (17.8%). Putrid. So bad it's practically hard to believe.

I'm banking on the fact we used up our unspeakable share of misses vs. Mississippi State and Stonehill. In Columbus, we'll trade 'em in for a respectable percentage.

Not allowing them easy baskets, rebounding at a high level, taking care of the ball and not committing an abundance of fouls is just as important as shooting.

They definitely matter... but nowhere near as much as simply putting the ball in the hoop.
Disagree, but that’s ok.
I’ll bet you 95% of Pikes preparation for OSU is spent on defending, the other 5% will be simply making shots without much thought into how we do it

I understand missing shots that are contested or affected by good defense. What is mind boggling to me is the amount of wide open misses as well as poor finishing technique at the rim. I'm hopeful that the wide open misses will start to statistically self correct, but not hopeful about some of the continued poor decisions at the rim.

Reactions: BillyC80
I understand missing shots that are contested or affected by good defense. What is mind boggling to me is the amount of wide open misses as well as poor finishing technique at the rim. I'm hopeful that the wide open misses will start to statistically self correct, but not hopeful about some of the continued poor decisions at the rim.
We don’t flat out miss clean layups very often, many of our so called missed layups are out of control, altered/awkward attempts… out of control being the key word.

Reactions: Unionst
The Rutgers team has now played twelve games and the offense has been deeply disappointing except for the Seton Hall game.There were expectations that Griffiths would be a consistent double digit scorer which hasn't happened.The sad reality is that the team has great difficulty scoring even 60 points which won't result in wins against league competition.

Reactions: Knightmoves

Very much agree with this

I’m not worried about shot making right now …because we are getting good shots . They will fall at a higher rate if we keep getting them

Im mkre worried about the timing of the defensive rotation ….which is still behind, and while the help defense causes the miss, it’s leaving us constantly out of postion for the rebound ….

Fix that, we can also run more …the fast break can only start with a stop AND rebound

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
We don’t flat out miss clean layups very often, many of our so called missed layups are out of control, altered/awkward attempts… out of control being the key word.

I agree. Not missed open layups..... It's the decisions at the rim - going up for a contested layup and continually forcing it instead of ... passing to an open man or not making an adjustment often enough on the shot (i.e reverse or floater).

Zap / HHNY !

Have you seen Andre Hyatt around the rim ? He makes a living of missing easy bunnies. It’s an uncanny talent of his. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: blueoyster
The biggest mistake almost all fans make when analyzing a team's performance (and individual performance) is to let the variability of shooting influence views.

To me the best way to analyze, assuming looks where quality, how many makes would team or player make on the average day. If we make 10-28 3s 35.7% the Stone Hill game might have been closer than it should have been, but still not a game.

If a 30% shooter knocks down 6-10 3s but doesn't do anything else special I can't conclude anything about the player other than he shot it better than expected. I value getting rebounds, diving on the floor, getting stops, making the extra pass, taking a charge, over having a good day rolling the dice. Obviously some players dies are weighted differently.

Zap / HHNY !

Have you seen Andre Hyatt around the rim ? He makes a living of missing easy bunnies. It’s an uncanny talent of his. 😂
They come in all different forms, forced to shoot on the way down, legs out from under him, highly contested….and a few bunnies 😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT