ADVERTISEMENT

More Lesniak via Sargeant: "We're in the Big 10. We should act like it."

Originally posted by ruman:
If we wait 6-8 years, there's an excellent chance that it will be another AD that builds the darn thing
So? AD's jump ship to new schools all the time. One just hopes that current AD's can help sell future athletic projects, even if they are not around when they open.

Thats a huge feather in their cap (and on the resume) when they get products approved. Who cares if they are..around when they open.

Originally posted by ruman:
If we wait 6-8 years, there's an excellent chance that it will be another AD that builds the darn thing
Wasn't it thought once Mulcahy left Basketball would get the funding it needed to upgrade the MBB program.
Didn't happen and until subsidies are eliminated, B1G money will go to doing that first and the rest spread
around all RU Sports programs.
Basketball might get most or might get treated as it had been for many years .
I wouldn't plan on in 6-8 years a new AD might get it done, but think if a new one could do it,
give Julie the same amount of time .
What she has to do now is cut expenses until RU Athletics are self sufficient and then will get the OK to
make the upgrades MBB desperately needs.

As far as Lesniak going to be a big help, if he brings up helping RU Athletics in the NJ Legislature
and proposes a bill to do that, then I'll commend him for his help.
But if he just talks a good game and doesn't play in it, just political smoke as far as I'm concerned.

The biggest untruth on the board is that Rutgers can hire an "established head coach", "a big name" to turn this thing around.

Pittsburgh, UConn, VCU, Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler and Dayton promoted assistants
Purdue hired from Missouri State
Wisconsin hired Bo Ryan from Milwaukee
Tennessee hired Pearl from Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Boston College and Illinois hired someone from Ohio.
Georgia Tech hired someone from Dayton (not as good as Archie)
Clemson hired Brownell from Wright State
DePaul hired Oliver Purnell who was going to get canned by Clemson
Miami (Fla) hired George Mason's Jim Larranaga
Iowa State hired one of their alums, just like Rutgers. Wasn't "established"
Utah hired Larry K who was not established. I think he was in the NBA
Oregon hired Dana Altmann from Creighton. Good hire, but you can debate whether he was a big name or established. I think he was.
Cincinnati hired someone from Murray State.
Georgia hired someone from Nevada
Missouri hired a D2 coach, I believe.
Iowa hired from Siena
Tennessee hired from Southern Mississippi
Florida hired from Marshall (yes Billy Donovan)
Texas A&M hired from Murray State
Rhode Island hired from Wagner
George Washington hired from Vermont
Wake Forest hired from Tulsa (first-team HC Danny Manning)
Baylor hired a Valpo assistant
Villanova hired from Hofstra (what's his name again?)
Georgetown hired from Princeton
Marquette hired a Duke assistant
Northwestern hired a Duke assistant
Stanford hired a Duke assistant
Providence hired from Fairfield
Creighton hired from Northern Iowa
Wichita State hired from Winthrop
Maryland hired from Wichita State
Nebraska hired from Colorado State
Oregon State hired from Montana
Minnesota hired from Florida International

This post was edited on 2/28 3:57 PM by Aggs

This post was edited on 2/28 4:02 PM by Aggs

Any plan based on a 6-8 year timeframe needs to address what exactly is to be expected from the mens basketball during the waiting period.If fans think its embarrassing now,future games just might show more fans from B1G teams than from Rutgers at the RAC.Its so sad that the Rutgers team which was once one of the best in the East has reached such a state of total non interest by people that matter.

Sounds like this will not get done anyrime soon and that Barchi and the BOG totally control any plans for athletics and basically neuter any power Julie has...depressing response from clown Barchi

Is Barchi shaking and baking with his wording?

"You wrote in your letter that making necessary renovations and
improvements to the RAC and constructing new or upgrading current
practice facilities for all 24 of our intercollegiate teams could be
accomplished for $30 million,''
Barchi wrote.

I didn't read every word of Lesniak here, but the eyesore of RU Athletics is MBB, the 2nd highest visibility sport across the NCAA landscape. That's what needs to be fixed---and $30Mil sounds about right. Sorry to offend other RU student-athletes, but MBB is far-and-away what needs immediate attention. What is Barchi blathering on about all 24 teams here for? B.S.

images

exactly...deal with the athletes village AFTER in a separate construction...he totally is fudging what Lesniak said, its not about the 24 sports, what a tool Barchi is

Today's OTB article also questions the "all sports facilities" upgrades spin: "This conversation is comparing apples to oranges to watermelons. Maybe
$30 million could do one, but not eveything. In essence, we're still
waiting for that feasibility study."

http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/3/3/8133715/rutgers-facilities-a-week-later-and

This post was edited on 3/3 8:55 AM by RC85

Originally posted by RC85:
Is Barchi shaking and baking with his wording?

"You wrote in your letter that making necessary renovations and
improvements to the RAC and constructing new or upgrading current
practice facilities for all 24 of our intercollegiate teams could be
accomplished for $30 million,''
Barchi wrote.

I didn't read every word of Lesniak here, but the eyesore of RU Athletics is MBB, the 2nd highest visibility sport across the NCAA landscape. That's what needs to be fixed---and $30Mil sounds about right. Sorry to offend other RU student-athletes, but MBB is far-and-away what needs immediate attention. What is Barchi blathering on about all 24 teams here for? B.S.
Did you not read the quote in the first post of this whole thread? He's responding exactly to all 24 sports because Lezniak mentioned them in the first place and that the total cost of the basketball facility and facilities for the other sports is 30M according to Lezniak.

As to the necessity of all sports versus basketball, I agree basketball is most important but how do we know where most of the donors are. Haven't we discussed here before tying it to football and possibly the other sports with more affluent donors seems like a sound strategy to raise funds for basketball. How many exclusive basketball donors are there? This project is going to need private donations no matter how you cut it, it's never going to be done solely on borrowing. If the best avenue to accessing those donors is through other sports then I don't see a problem with it.

From Lezniak:
"Refurbishing the current basketball facility and building a new practice facility for all 24 sports along with a restaurant and some retail will cost $30 million, half of which can be raised by private contributions,'' Lesniak wrote. "The other $15 million should be secured by borrowing against future Big10 revenues which escalate to $44.5 million annually in 5 years."

I stand corrected re: actual Lesniak letter. All along I assumed we have been talking about the immediate MBB facilities needs following the posts and twitter action in response to Politi's article last week.

RC85 posted on 3/3/2015...

I stand corrected re: actual Lesniak letter. All along I assumed we have been talking about the immediate MBB facilities needs following the posts and twitter action in response to Politi's article last week.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now that's a failure of process 85! The article link in the first post re:the 2/26 nj.com story by Sargeant that also notes the $30mil price tag for the Pernetti plan build a MBB practice court and upgrade the RAC's look-that's what I've had stuck in my head for last 3 years... Not sure how Lesniak has the 24 sports facilities upgrades at $30mil; JH's Athletic Village project was estimated somewhere around $60mil.

Geez, can't we just get a simplified cost analysis to build a new MBB practice facility, some RAC touch-up and get that phase started ASAP? We don't need Barchi trying to obfuscate the MBB investment plan to be paid by B1G athletics money &/or donor $$ with the Physical Master Plan of the entire university.

Yes that "all 24 sports" wording from Lesniak came out of nowhere-very strange. The $30mil Pernetti Plan was for the RAC upgrade and basketball practice facilities.

This post was edited on 3/3 9:28 PM by RC85

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT