ADVERTISEMENT

Most Improved Player: Dean Reiber

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
It is very impressive to go from mid-level B1G to upper tier in the miraculous way both Mulcahy and Omoruyi have. It's pretty rare and I can't recall an in-season leap like it in my 40 years of following RU. I'd argue what RE-BAR has done is more impressive. If you're in the first seven, assistant coaches work with you on all aspects of your game, feed you match-up info, prep you in a hundred ways. In practice, plays are run for the starters. You're lucky to be on the floor to play token D. Your role in practice isn't really for you to practice being in the game. If you blow off a session or three with Strength & Conditioning, nobody gives you much grief. Plus, there is often a culture amongst bench guys to, "know your place." Dean's improvement is the result of a lot of hard work on his own. Saw his face glowing red after 10 minutes of PT in the first half of the Penn St. game. Thought we might need the defibrillator, but also thought of how he epitomizes my basketball philosophy: Effort and Attention. I used to wince when he came into the game. Now, I really enjoy watching him. His offense and defense have come along way.

Last edited:
And yet in the early part of the season he made the “fans” …Reiber will NEVER be a B1G type player. Now we hope he’s back next season at the 4 and back up 5 when needed.

Reactions: Scangg
He has the second best looking stroke from 3 after Harper on this team. Think he could really benefit moving to the 4, but for that to happen we need to find some depth at Center.

His defense and rebounding have came a long way. He’s got good hands and is pretty coordinated for a big man.

He is consistently in good position on the defensive end of the floor. Another summer of bulking up and hopefully he'll get a few more minutes next season

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I confess I thought Reiber was just another example of Pikiell's mediocre recruiting. I thought his rebounding and defense were non-existent and saw little offensive skills. But I was wrong --he has improved but he still has a long way to go. He should use the offseason to bulk up ....

Dean has a natural sweet stroke and cannot be left unguarded.
I think he can transition into an excellent 4, he actually defends better on the perimeter as evidenced by his hedges yesterday.
I understand we need a 5 in the portal to make this happen, it should be our top priority.
A PG with a press breaking handle also a must. IMO

Regarding his defense, I caught myself being surprised a few times yesterday about the job he was doing. He actually played decent d. he’ll still have trouble guarding a Kofi, but so does everyone else.

Regarding his defense, I caught myself being surprised a few times yesterday about the job he was doing. He actually played decent d. he’ll still have trouble guarding a Kofi, but so does everyone else.
As a 4, he won’t need to guard Kofi.
There’s got to be a 5 in a lower conference who can defend, that’s all we need to spell Cliff

The problem with moving him to the 4 is he will not have as many wide open looks outside the line. Many 5s don't come out far to guard against someone driving past them. At the 4, players will be out farther. Not as many open looks, but it doesn't mean none. That said, I hope he plays there at least some next year.

While I'm excited that Dean is getting better and was critical in yesterday's victory, I think that Cliff is the most improved this year by far. Let's look at their comparative season stats:

Cliff

2020-21: 3.8 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 0.7 BPG, 42.4 FT%, 14.9 MPG
2021-22: 11.7 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 1.3 BPG, 58.9 FT %, 28.4 MPG

Dean

2020-21: 0.8 PPG, 0.8 RPG, 0.1 BPG, 83.3% FT, 5.8 MPG
2021-22: 3.2 PPG, 1.2 RPG, 0.4 BPG, 58.3% FT, 7.8 MPG

Looking forward to seeing Dean continue to improve (strength and conditioning) and hopefully we'll see him at the 4 along with Cliff next year.

I think he can actually play the wing, his handle is good and I think he has one of the best strokes on the team. Good arch and rotation. I bet he would win a lot of 3 point contests on this team.

His strides have been amazing but I gotta go Cliff #1 and Dean #2. Or to please the masses, let's call it Cliff #1 and Dean #1A. Either way, gotta give big Cliff the nod.

Reactions: 29PAS
He has the second best looking stroke from 3 after Harper on this team. Think he could really benefit moving to the 4, but for that to happen we need to find some depth at Center.

No doubt. He hasn’t taken that many, but he is shooting FIFTY-EIGHT (58) percent from 3 for the season. That is an eye-popping number!

Dean has a natural sweet stroke and cannot be left unguarded.
I think he can transition into an excellent 4, he actually defends better on the perimeter as evidenced by his hedges yesterday.
I understand we need a 5 in the portal to make this happen, it should be our top priority.
A PG with a press breaking handle also a must. IMO
Agree 100% on the hedges Cliff was killing us that is when they started getting all the open looks and were knocking down their 3's in the comeback; Reiber is also a much better passer than Cliff; it would be great if we can get a backup center in the portal and move Dean to the 4 that would make us a big club which we have never been in my memory

I thought he was the best player on the floor in the first half, and I can't believe I just typed that. He is the only player we have that I'm assuming he's making the 3, and his growth defensively has been astronomical. Yesterday was a loss without him, this I know.

Reactions: Peteyd
Reiber showed skill and high bball IQ from the jump. I called it immediately. People don't know what they are doing evaluating talent.

Don't get sucked into actual stats and results early in player's careers when trying to evaluate and project.

Reiber is a significantly improved player, and definitely the most surprising. But, in my mind, the most improved players, by far, are Cliff and Caleb.

Since his high school recruiting video I knew Dean had a chance to succeed here if given time. I am looking to seeing him some more this season and his next step up in 2022-2023. Great looking shot, tough ( a bit light still) and pretty athletic . Weight room, training facility and some off season competition will serve him well.

Reactions: Scangg
He needs stronger hands. He loses the handle often during in the paint action. He certainly has the ups and a nice shooting stroke and good hoops IQ. He will contribute more and more over the next 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT