ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coaching youth sports...help with other coach

Aug 2, 2007
Coaching t-ball.
The person I'm coaching with is a child who huffs and puffs when it doesn't go his way. I've been flexible and accommodating to him. He does not compromise. He missed 1 practice, 2 parents helped out...smoothest practice ever and did a scrimmage game.

This is t-ball, not MLB so its about the kids.
Anyway, his idea is to split a team of 12 kids when fielding so about 5-6 are sitting while the team fields...I told him that won't work, it may be 12 kids, but they need to be in the field at once....huff and puffed about it and said we'll talk to other coaches and see what they say.

I'm done being flexible: My believe is they are young, they need to be engaged and involved. You can't have 5-6 year olds sitting on the bench while others field, then switch it up and then they sit again waiting to bat. Baseball is a lot of standing around, but thats too much. And if both coaches are in the infield assisting....whose watching the other kids not fielding. My bet is they won't sit still, they will start running around and climbing the fence and all that and they should be playing, that's why they are there.

Am I wrong? I feel like this guy has no experience with groups of kids and is taking it too seriously.

Coaching t-ball.
The person I'm coaching with is a child who huffs and puffs when it doesn't go his way. I've been flexible and accommodating to him. He does not compromise. He missed 1 practice, 2 parents helped out...smoothest practice ever and did a scrimmage game.

Anyway, his idea is to split a team of 12 kids when fielding so about 5-6 are sitting while the team fields...I told him that won't work, it may be 12 kids, but they need to be in the field at once....huff and puffed about it and said we'll talk to other coaches and see what they say.

I'm done being flexible: My believe is they are young, they need to be engaged and involved. You can't have 5-6 year olds sitting on the bench while others field, then switch it up and then they sit again waiting to bat. Baseball is a lot of standing around, but thats too much. And if both coaches are in the infield assisting....whose watching the other kids not fielding. My bet is they won't sit still, they will start running around and climbing the fence and all that and they should be playing, that's why they are there.

Am I wrong? I feel like this guy has no experience with groups of kids and is taking it too seriously.
Oh the memories of being a T Ball and little league coach. Never had your dilemma, as the coaches on the teams I coached were on the same page and good guys.

You are correct. Keep them moving and prevent boredom. Sometimes it is useful to split the team and have one coach work on batting or base running while the others do fielding.

One thing I did was divide my team (older kids) into three teams - with 12 it would be four on each. One team bats, one team plays infield and one team would be outfield plus pitcher. After each team has turn at bat, they rotate, infielders bat, outfielders go to infield and batters go to outfield

We've been splitting groups of kids up...but his idea of sitting players when fielding makes no sense. He was also annoyed that I ended practice "early" but really its supposed to be a 45 min practice. At that point I said we've gotten what we can out of them, their attentions pans are maxed out. In his mind its supposed to be 1hr.

Sorry I should have clarified his idea is for a game

Coaching t-ball.

I’d be siding with you on this one. We switched up our tball league to be almost all drill based a few years ago. 3-4 stations, 3-4 kids at each one, keep it moving. Most of them have a “fun” element to it while teaching a basic of the game. As the season progressed we added an inning or two of a “game” mostly for the parents and grandparents that came to watch. I was always taught the goal of tball and any youth sport at that age was for the kids to want to come back and play the next season.

If you have 2 coaches and 12 kids. Split the kids up and work on different skills. Create station drills and switch up every 10 minutes or so. Baseball/t-ball is standing around for most of these kids on a good day. Why would you force additional time spent standing around.
This issue is more about actual games vs another team. practice i try to change it up

Couple things.

First, you should step over to Twitter to consult Youth Football Coaching Legend, 3YearLetterman.

Second - I coached rec & travel soccer for 7 years when my oldest daughter was playing. It was fun for me because, unlike most of my fellow coaches, I'd actually played the game. We had consistently good teams, a couple of undefeated seasons and several league championships.

I can tell you that I *never* "split the squad". The only time any of them were sitting was during instruction / demo, which I always kept short. Otherwise, they were all working, even if in small groups doing specific drills.

If you sit little kids, their 8 second attention span kicks in and before you know it they'll have all wandered off.

This issue is more about actual games vs another team. practice i try to change it up
It was a rhetorical question but you are correct. Guy is taking it to seriously. Your not making future stars at 4-5-6 years of age. It’s about making it fun and a good experience. Your job is to make sure you make it fun that they want to continue with the sport or a similar activity Not sour them from truly getting to know the sport.

Heard this saying once.
“You learn from a good coach. You learn a lot from a bad coach. Make sure your kids aren’t learning a lot. “

Couple things.

First, you should step over to Twitter to consult Youth Football Coaching Legend, 3YearLetterman.

Second - I coached rec & travel soccer for 7 years when my oldest daughter was playing. It was fun for me because, unlike most of my fellow coaches, I'd actually played the game. We had consistently good teams, a couple of undefeated seasons and several league championships.

I can tell you that I *never* "split the squad". The only time any of them were sitting was during instruction / demo, which I always kept short. Otherwise, they were all working, even if in small groups doing specific drills.

If you sit little kids, their 8 second attention span kicks in and before you know it they'll have all wandered off.
and that is the point i'm trying to make to the guy. In practice, everyone is doing something related to skills so there isn't so much wandering as its smaller groups. That being said he struggles with the management part of dealing with kids and usually takes about 4-5 kids when I have 7-8. And this is probably why he prefers less in the field so its easier to manage for him.

In games, it would be difficult to assist and monitor the wandering and climbing and all that....I teach middle school kids and even at that age you can't just have them not be doing something.

Involved and Engaged...that's how I see it should be.

First congrats for taking on a thankless but long-term rewarding job…and you’re seeing first hand how grown ups ruin youth sports - especially the playing time parents.

At that age you create the foundation for the kids to build their love of the game. I agree with all above - though I’ve never coached baseball - stations for skill development and team for games/competition at end of practice.

Americans place too high a premium on winning at the youth level over player development.

Coached my sons baseball teams from T-Ball to when he was "done" with baseball. NEVER have that many kids sitting down at once, especially since they have bats! Seriously.

During fielding and hitting practice, I always rotated the kids every batter. LF moved to LC, LC moved to RC, RC to RF, RF to 1B, etc... You HAVE to keep T-Ball kids engaged and moving, otherwise you end up with the dandelion pickers, sandcastle makers, "I need water" etc...

Personally, I also feel that at that age, more than two coaches is needed.

I suppose you know this, but you are doing the right thing, the other guy is an ahole.

Coaching Tball is like herding cats, just getting them to run in right direction, and to only have one person go after the ball was a challenge. So instead of giving them an excuse to space out, make it fun for them and yourself and the kids will stick with it. If they see you having fun they will do.

About the games all kids should be on the field at that age, but rotate them around, give them spots to go to and even call out different kids to go get the ball when it is hit.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
For practices you should split the kids into groups and do stations as others have suggested. Rotate positions as stated above, but no kid should ever sit and limit any kid standing around. Keep them active for the 45 minutes. Practice should not go over 1 hour.

2 coaches for 12 kids is a bad ratio. 4 coaches for practice would be better. The best assistant tee ball coach I had was a parent who was also a kindergarten teacher. She knew how to speak to the kids and explain things only the way a kindergarten teach could. 12 kids for 45 minutes was easy for her. Find out if one of the parents is a kindergarten or elementary school teacher and get them on the coaching staff ASAP.

For games, all kids should be in the field. When it is time to bat, you need multiple coaches/parents. I had 1 coach/parent to control the dugout (don't allow bats in the dugout). The dugout gets crazy when they are waiting to bat. 1 coach/parent for the on deck circle to get them a helmet and bat. 1 coach at the tee to put the ball on the tee. You also need first and third base coaches.

Good luck and enjoy it. You are creating great memories for the kids.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Coaching t-ball.

you are not wrong. Coaching at that age is all about constant engagement and simple skill development. Everything should be station work and rotating through that. Kids, at any age, sitting at practice is a massive no no in my opinion.

Good Advice...I was planning on rotating them around.

And agree on it be like herding cats and so forth...Also, there was a massive puddle at home plate and the infield (sand) was wet but he said it was fine.. I said no it will be a mess with them playing with wet sand. 2 seconds later while gathering the kids to start practice, 2 kids playing in the sand. I said, "See, like I said, will be covered in sand."

Needless to say, we stuck in the grass as I suggested

Good Advice...I was planning on rotating them around.

And agree on it be like herding cats and so forth...Also, there was a massive puddle at home plate and the infield (sand) was wet but he said it was fine.. I said no it will be a mess with them playing with wet sand. 2 seconds later while gathering the kids to start practice, 2 kids playing in the sand. I said, "See, like I said, will be covered in sand."

Needless to say, we stuck in the grass as I suggested
Your ASSistant sounds like a couple of coaches I knew. Some of them played into high school or college, and they are trying to live vicariously through their kids and put them on a brutal training regimen with hitting coaches, pitching coaches, clinics, etc at an early age. Saw one Dad basically blow his 10 or 11 year old kid's arm out from overpitching him.

As @gef21 and others have said, keep them moving and engaged, and minimize sitting and down time, but most importantly, make it FUN and not work. Some kids are early bloomers and you can tell they will be players, but at this age, most of them may not even want to be there or be interested in baseball. Making it fun at this age is key so that don't grow to hate the sport.

At some point, you need to tell the assistant that this is YOUR team, and you really appreciate his help and input, but you are going to run it the way you want to from guidance you got.

Is either one of you designated as the head or main coach? If not, and I don't want to assume, but is your co-coach also a parent to one of the players? I'm just wondering what's his motivation for coaching this team. Let him know his contributions are certainly appreciated. Can you get a third person/parent to help coach as well?

I did 4 years of tee ball. First, you're right. Never have the kids sitting. That is a recipe for disaster. If you want to put 6 in the field, the other 6 should be engaged in a separate activity.
One thing you might want to try....talk to the league. We actually took our tee ball teams down to 6 or 7 players, and it was amazing. So much easier to control, games move faster (we bat through the lineup every inning), and kids stay engaged much longer. It does require more coaches, which is sometimes an issue, but it will be so beneficial to the kids if you can pull it off.

Last edited:
You are correct, sitting half a T ball team is not good.
Ask the Director of your league or division to watch your practice and he can advise the other coach that sitting half team is bad idea

Coaching t-ball.

Coaches that take things too seriously is a big problem. I was paired with one this year in hockey. I spent half the game calming the kids down after he got them upset for no reason. 12 year olds. Coaches that are new to youth sports think that it is all about game strategy and play calling and engineering ways to win, when in fact it is the complete opposite. It is 100% about teaching and providing a positive learning experience. A bad coach agonizes over the score. A good coach watches each player, and knows exactly what every player is good at, and what they aren't, and exactly what it takes to get them from a to b. They also know how to motivate in a positive way. The games have to be fun because they are the carrot that allows you to whip the stick around a bit during practice. Working hard is good, intensity is good, pushing kids to work harder is good, as long as it done in a positive way that your particular group can handle....yelling at 12 year olds about things that are out of their control is bad, overplaying the best players is bad (they're 12...the 'best' 12 year olds wont be the best 16 year olds) Sorry that's my rant. Good luck and thanks for putting in the effort. A lot of people don't. Remember...you're out there making things happen. The experience may not be perfect....but it's still way better than if you didn't go out there and try.

Most important is attempting to keep their interest at ages 5-6-7. Drill work and rotation of players to different positions ( though some may not like it) will give them all an equal chance to succeed . Parents do their best to input suggestions but helping out sometimes is where other problems arise. “ you know coach Billy is better at shortstop .” The actual game though is what most kids like and learn from . Scoring isn’t important as kids know way before scorebooks come into play . Fielding is probably the most difficult aspect for many T ballers so set aside specific time for drills. Catching pop ups , soft toss , fielding ground balls ( don’t forget back handers ) . Remember each player is different and some rapidly pick it up others will struggle so patience and encouragement is your friend. Keep it short and interesting.Lastly , over the years this theory that you will blow a kids arm out with too much throwing is false. I have spoken to probably 200+ former college players and pros as well as numerous high school coaches in New Jersey and New York since 1980- 2010 . They I believe can explain (as well as orthopedic sports doctors) who specialize in arm injuries. Throwing itself does not injury the arm. Incorrect arm mechanics and not strengthening their young arms is the real issue. Long toss drills not only can improve strength but actually help prevent injury as they move up age wise . Make it be a competitive part of your drills for the young players but realize some kids will eventually drop out no matter what both boys and girls. Oh and curve balls don’t hurt a kids arm . Sliders and split finger start in teen years . Soon enough. Teach them how to change their finger position later once they are older. Good luck and thank you for your time. Kids never forget a good or bad coach.

Most important is attempting to keep their interest at ages 5-6-7. Drill work and rotation of players to different positions ( though some may not like it) will give them all an equal chance to succeed . Parents do their best to input suggestions but helping out sometimes is where other problems arise. “ you know coach Billy is better at shortstop .” The actual game though is what most kids like and learn from . Scoring isn’t important as kids know way before scorebooks come into play . Fielding is probably the most difficult aspect for many T ballers so set aside specific time for drills. Catching pop ups , soft toss , fielding ground balls ( don’t forget back handers ) . Remember each player is different and some rapidly pick it up others will struggle so patience and encouragement is your friend. Keep it short and interesting.Lastly , over the years this theory that you will blow a kids arm out with too much throwing is false. I have spoken to probably 200+ former college players and pros as well as numerous high school coaches in New Jersey and New York since 1980- 2010 . They I believe can explain (as well as orthopedic sports doctors) who specialize in arm injuries. Throwing itself does not injury the arm. Incorrect arm mechanics and not strengthening their young arms is the real issue. Long toss drills not only can improve strength but actually help prevent injury as they move up age wise . Make it be a competitive part of your drills for the young players but realize some kids will eventually drop out no matter what both boys and girls. Oh and curve balls don’t hurt a kids arm . Sliders and split finger start in teen years . Soon enough. Teach them how to change their finger position later once they are older. Good luck and thank you for your time. Kids never forget a good or bad coach.
Sorry to post this late as I’m in Hawaii for 3 weeks and watched my 6 year old grand daughter playing T ball against all boys in Long Island . Prepping her to play girls softball down the road. She’s having fun and her boyfriend ( don’t kill the messenger) on the Pirates and in school can’t believe at this point she is better than most of those she competes against. BTW: She’s on the Yankees wearing what else # 7.

Coaching t-ball.

Id say just fight him and sleep with his wife. Show him whos boss

• Haha
Reactions: RUDead
I coached baseball as an assistant on my son's teams from t-ball up through Little League (13 years old) and would generally defer to the head coach and just try to help out, but fortunately the head coach most of those years was really good (and would also take suggestions), so we were pretty well aligned. At the younger ages, as many have said, we focused on teaching skills at rotating stations with minimal "game play" at practice (game play only involves 2-3 players at a time typically), as keeping everyone engaged and active was more important.

And I will say this: I always thought kids can learn more from having catches, especially if instructed to throw each other pop-ups and grounders, than most other activities (throwing and catching are 2/3 of the game), so we did a lot of that, especially since it didn't involve an adult for the most part - and when most of us over about 40 grew up, baseball was learned without adults around.

If alternatives are noted which involve more kids rather than less, i cant believe any adult would oppose. you must be leaving something out. at a minimum the other 6 can be baserunners during the fielding drills,

theres more to your situation than you’re saying. must be. what is the guy’s reasoning ?

Very true as you learned from the older kids in the neighborhood. However my father always managed to find time for us with sports even when he got home late from work. For that I will always be grateful. Spent many hours on saturdays or sundays teaching us about his favorite sports baseball and football.

If alternatives are noted which involve more kids rather than less, i cant believe any adult would oppose. you must be leaving something out. at a minimum the other 6 can be baserunners during the fielding drills,

theres more to your situation than you’re saying. must be. what is the guy’s reasoning ?
we haven't had our first game yet....its this weekend. This is first time he has mention this idea of sitting part of the team while they are fielding and the other team is hitting.

I think he's reasoning is terrible...and its because its a lot of kids in the field at once. Like mentioned, I can tell his max when it comes to working with kids is 5 (1 being his own kid). 12 probably scares him

Coaching t-ball.

first question is simple; are you a mature adult?

if so, this should be an easy fix and not needed to clutter the board with such nonsense. Be a man, do what you need to do

ridiculous post

Coaching t-ball.

Have not read the replies yet so others may have said this, you are not wrong. At that age (any age really), everyone must be engaged in an activity. You can't have kids sitting on the sidelines watching. You can certainly divide up and do outfield and infield fielding practice at the same time. Also try to design drills that involve more than 1 player, ie don't just hit ground balls and have them toss it back to the coach. With any team there is usually a head coach. If that's you then do what you feel best.

we haven't had our first game yet....its this weekend. This is first time he has mention this idea of sitting part of the team while they are fielding and the other team is hitting.

I think he's reasoning is terrible...and its because its a lot of kids in the field at once. Like mentioned, I can tell his max when it comes to working with kids is 5 (1 being his own kid). 12 probably scares him
Or 6 shagging flies and 6 infield work. Or have a third group hitting into net. I still can’t believe someone only wants 6 practicing at a time.

I did 4 years of tee ball. First, you're right. Never have the kids sitting. That is a recipe for disaster. If you want to put 6 in the field, the other 6 should be engaged in a separate activity.
One thing you might want to try....talk to the league. We actually took our tee ball teams down to 6 or 7 players, and it was amazing. So much easier to control, games move faster (we bat through the lineup every inning), and kids stay engaged much longer. It does require more coaches, which is sometimes an issue, but it will be so beneficial to the kids if you can pull it off.
You must have done something terribly wrong in a previous life to have to do 4 years of tee ball. 🙂

You're instincts are right.

1. Keep them moving all the time.
2. Get a couple more Dads to help out. Tball requires a lot of coaches.

Here is a simple baserunning drill to end practice. Divide team in half. One half starts at home, the other at 2nd base. Its a competition between teams to see who wins with all players circling the bases. Players have to touch each base or team disqualified.

Last edited:
Here is a simple baserunning drill to end practice. Divide team in half. One half starts at home, the other at home plate. Its a competition between teams to see who wins with all players circling the bases. Players have to touch each base or team disqualified.
Want to fix that ? We know what you meant, but …

Reactions: rubaseball78
You must have done something terribly wrong in a previous life to have to do 4 years of tee ball. 🙂
Funny you should say that. I have two sons, and they overlapped. My younger son is 6 this year, so technically, it should be my 5th year of tee ball. He is the only kid in the league who has done 3 years of tee ball though (because in 2020, our season started way later and he had since turned 4), so I begged them to let him play up. Thank God. I told them I just couldn't do another year of that!

If he has played 3-4 years in T ball he probably could play up with 7’-8’ s perhaps even 9-10’s . I am absolutely positive you would see a consensus of this board agree playing against older players speeds up growth … if your son is mature enough and isn’t intimidated by that it is the route to go. You may get some push back by other parents who may see it as favoritism or even other coaches. So just have fun.

If he has played 3-4 years in T ball he probably could play up with 7’-8’ s perhaps even 9-10’s . I am absolutely positive you would see a consensus of this board agree playing against older players speeds up growth … if your son is mature enough and isn’t intimidated by that it is the route to go. You may get some push back by other parents who may see it as favoritism or even other coaches. So just have fun.
He's plating up in the 7-9 division. He's smaller and in the lower half of the league, but definitely not the worst. And He's getting better really quickly.

He's plating up in the 7-9 division. He's smaller and in the lower half of the league, but definitely not the worst. And He's getting better really quickly.
mikebal that sounds like a positive place for him. The reason my son started my granddaughter in Little League baseball was because (she since 5 ) wanted to try it first . And she actually is further advanced than most boys ages 5-6-7 . Can hit , throw and field . Still needs work on pop ups and fielding but for this year she has far surpassed expectations. She’s competed in equestrian since age 4, swimming since 8 months, gymnastics and acro , as well as dance. Competing against boys will change perhaps in her teens but son and wife both athletes have explained that softball will most likely be coming. Right now coaches can’t believe her discipline and mental level and understanding. She face timed us in Hawaii today and said,” papa I ‘m having fun.” That’s all you can wish for especially in 2023. Good Luck to your son.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT