ADVERTISEMENT

MSU or Iowa

The off ball defender went under the screen when he clearly should have switched and defended the shooter receiving the pass.That’s the defender I’m referring to.
The point is you’re saying foul to disrupt a good look, but Iowa got the shot off early. Fouling with 6 or 7 seconds is too early. We all know this because we’ve seen what happens when you foul too early and miss free throws. You can’t ignore the clock in this
Agree that’s earlier than you typically want to give that foul, but if the alternative is giving up a clean look from three to tie the game then I lean towards giving the foul and making them either grab the offensive rebound or hit both and foul me again. Of course at that point you’re asking the player to make that decision in real time which is a tough ask.

Reactions: Scangg
Agree that’s earlier than you typically want to give that foul, but if the alternative is giving up a clean look from three to tie the game then I lean towards giving the foul and making them either grab the offensive rebound or hit both and foul me again. Of course at that point you’re asking the player to make that decision in real time which is a tough ask.
He keeps referring to our game but fouling when someone is at half court is different than fouling to prevent an open look

Reactions: cm_13
These are split second decisions. By the time the ball is handed off, the help defender dropped back away from the shooter and the on ball defender can’t possibly react in time to foul

He keeps referring to our game but fouling when someone is at half court is different than fouling to prevent an open look
Dude, there was no one on the shooter when he received the pass. Hauser isn’t in the play to make the foul. The on ball defender can’t possibly react in time to foul the ball handler/passer.
You’re acting as if they have minutes to make this decision. Plus, they’re behind the line. You risk fouling a shooter and giving 3 free throws.
You’re also getting a birds eye view of this. It’s almost impossible for the on ball defender to immediately recognize the Iowa shooter is about to get a wide open look since Hauser isn’t out on the play.
Either way, this isn’t on the coach

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT