ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Powell to / @ Rutgers

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
to play at the RAC in a pickup game against current Rutgers players...kinda strange but a lot of these local guys are friends off the court....but, it will not be friendly in December.

Last edited:
Reactions: biazza38
Heard last year that him and Geo are buddies, not sure if true or not.

Reactions: Richie O
Oh what could have been. Powell is exactly the kind of recruit we'd love: a local guy who stayed local when big programs started calling because of the relationships the staff built.

Too bad Eddie didn't even give him a look.

SHU staff deserves credit for his development.

Powell was a pretty good HS player who was at least 20 lbs overweight.

He was a good shooter who was slow.

Reactions: biazza38 and kcg88
SHU staff deserves credit for his development.

Powell was a pretty good HS player who was at least 20 lbs overweight.

He was a good shooter who was slow.

20? It was almost 50. He lost 45 pounds to get ready for his first year.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I admire him for the weight loss and for returning for his senior season to get his degree, etc. Dude looks like a punk (and a lot of Seat & Fall players are), but I get the impression that he's actually a good dude.

Oh what could have been. Powell is exactly the kind of recruit we'd love: a local guy who stayed local when big programs started calling because of the relationships the staff built.

Too bad Eddie didn't even give him a look.
----
if he would have come here, and developed as he has, we would have been an NIT team last year at the minimum..

everytime I watched a Hall game he was
dynamic...... I really was hoping he was going to jump to the NBA this year, just to give us
a better chance against them.

----
if he would have come here, and developed as he has, we would have been an NIT team last year at the minimum..

everytime I watched a Hall game he was
dynamic...... I really was hoping he was going to jump to the NBA this year, just to give us
a better chance against them.

I'm not sure how this makes any sense at all. We ( Or I should say me) should want all of our opponents to be or remain relevant or good.

Powell is not as good as Carsen Edwards but close or as good as players we see in the B1G most nights. The difference is, Powell is asked to do more.

RU doesn't need to have anyone in our league become weaker in order to our program to improve. We can compete and beat SHU regardless of Powell playing or not.

And RU is fast becoming the place for open runs and that will only increase in visibility as the practice facility opens and RU continues to add talent.

I admire him for the weight loss and for returning for his senior season to get his degree, etc. Dude looks like a punk (and a lot of Seat & Fall players are), but I get the impression that he's actually a good dude.
I have tremendous respect for him the way he transformed his body and changed his entire lifestyle. Some guys have all the talent in the world, but can't get over the hump with the work ethic and discipline parts. Now, he has a lot of opportunities in front of him.

You should watch some of his interviews. Kid is as humble as it gets, respects the game and has dedicated himself to getting better. What CBB should really be about. Has had family tragedy and rose above it all. Furthest thing from the punk comment. Credit Shaheen for a lot of the development. Powell went to his presser when he was named SPU coach. We will miss him next year.

I'm not sure how this makes any sense at all. We ( Or I should say me) should want all of our opponents to be or remain relevant or good.

Powell is not as good as Carsen Edwards but close or as good as players we see in the B1G most nights. The difference is, Powell is asked to do more.

RU doesn't need to have anyone in our league become weaker in order to our program to improve. We can compete and beat SHU regardless of Powell playing or not.

And RU is fast becoming the place for open runs and that will only increase in visibility as the practice facility opens and RU continues to add talent.

I want all our league opponents to remain good, and that we beat those big 10 teams

why you would want SHU to remain good is a mystery to me. Your average RU fan would want them winless

I want all our league opponents to remain good, and that we beat those big 10 teams

why you would want SHU to remain good is a mystery to me. Your average RU fan would want them winless
I think it's good for NJ basketball if both of us are good. It will never be Duke /UNC but imagine this game being nationally televised every year. It could be something big time recruits would want to be a part of.

I think it's good for NJ basketball if both of us are good. It will never be Duke /UNC but imagine this game being nationally televised every year. It could be something big time recruits would want to be a part of.

Respectfully disagree..... SHU being good is a negative influence in recruiting, we would be competing for the better players who want to stay at home
They have had their way with us for a long time and I am sure their fans were and are happy about it

Step on their necks, make the PSU or Maryland game THE circled game on the calendar.

If both of us got good at the same time, and the crazy things that have been common to our games continued, we would have a 2 part 30/30.

Powell can lose composure once in a while, but is a great kid. And I never saw a kid put up so many spectacular offensive performances as he did last yr. Scintillating.

Respectfully disagree..... SHU being good is a negative influence in recruiting, we would be competing for the better players who want to stay at home
They have had their way with us for a long time and I am sure their fans were and are happy about it

Step on their necks, make the PSU or Maryland game THE circled game on the calendar.
Respectfully disagree. If the two schools can’t sign 2-3 recruits each year having to worry the other, they shouldn’t be a D-1 program. Plus SHU gets most of the players from NYC and outside the area Powell being an exception. A great local rivalry fills the seats and attracts recruits.

Reactions: sct1111 and wheezer
UNC-Duke
Kentucky-Louisville
USC - UCLA
Oklahoma-OK State
Texas - Texas A&M
Florida-FSU
Georgia-Ga Tech
South Carolina-Clemson
Washington-Washington St
Penn St-Pittsburgh

They all co-exist fighting for players. RU just took a HUGE step up with the practice facility, playing in a better conference, etc.

Think you're wrong here, wheezer. I would much rather the annual RU-SHU game have some juice, with both teams regularly being in the hunt for the NCAA tournament. Like it or not, SHU is the closest thing we have to a "rival" in basketball, as we haven't been in the B1G long enough to really develop true rivalries there. Sure, we've had a couple of good games against PSU, but it's not the same as the SHU rivalry. And Maryland? Have we even come CLOSE to winning a game against the Terps? They are very, very far away from being any sort of rival.

Even if SHU is good, there are plenty of recruits for both teams to go after, so I don't see the problem with recruiting at all. If anything, playing a local game with the kind of juice this game can be will only attract higher profile recruits who see that RU is an exciting place to play hoops.

Not to mention, playing a good OOC opponent will help with the NET rankings -- which should be an important factor going forward if we are thinking NCAA tourney.

Think you're wrong here, wheezer. I would much rather the annual RU-SHU game have some juice, with both teams regularly being in the hunt for the NCAA tournament. Like it or not, SHU is the closest thing we have to a "rival" in basketball, as we haven't been in the B1G long enough to really develop true rivalries there. Sure, we've had a couple of good games against PSU, but it's not the same as the SHU rivalry. And Maryland? Have we even come CLOSE to winning a game against the Terps? They are very, very far away from being any sort of rival.

Even if SHU is good, there are plenty of recruits for both teams to go after, so I don't see the problem with recruiting at all. If anything, playing a local game with the kind of juice this game can be will only attract higher profile recruits who see that RU is an exciting place to play hoops.

Not to mention, playing a good OOC opponent will help with the NET rankings -- which should be an important factor going forward if we are thinking NCAA tourney.

Good post

PSU or Maryland wouldn't agree with this fwiw.

I think I saw Powell mature a lot this past season. He and Rodriguez both almost started a fight in several games in the 2017-18 season. Powell decked Omoruyi in the last 2 seconds of our game and was lucky a brawl didn't take place. Our kids showed a great deal of restraint. This past season Powell seemed much more under control. I hope that behavior continues for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT