ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Eliminating National Letter of Intent

Congress can do - with the president signing the bill.
Congress could try. Hard to imagine what rationale they could use for enacting legislation to regulate NIL agreements between players and third parties. And even if Congress somehow managed to enact such law(s), I would think it highly likely the affected parties would sue and that the courts would almost certainly side with the plaintiff.

Who is being materially harmed by NIL agreements?

Who can regulate NIL? Isn't NIL an agreement between a player and a third party in which neither the schools nor the NCAA are a party.

Who else could have standing to interfere?
3rd party clearinghouse according to some of the tweets with regards to the settlement but I think that's just to make sure things are on the up and up and for protection and maybe tranparency

I would like to see regulation so that schools don't just rob the lower ranked programs of talent. But as I understand it, courts are basically telling the NCAA to pound sand about doing anything regarding NIL.

As much as it pains me, I'm not sure the NCAA has any power to do anything about NIL itself. The portal transfer could and should be changed though.

Rutgers "robbed" Princeton, Eastern Michigan, Merrimack and San Diego University for half our current roster.

We "robbed" Loyola for Cam Spencer.

None had to do with NIL.
It's the immediate availability of transfers (no sit out rule) that is causing the influx of transfers. Not NIL.

Rutgers "robbed" Princeton, Eastern Michigan, Merrimack and San Diego University for half our current roster.

None had to do with NIL.
It's the immediate availability of transfers (no sit out rule) that is causing the influx of transfers. Not NIL.
Win some lose some….pool has widened from the top on down. We’re seeing it in practice not in theory and so far looks fine to me.

Hmm.. how long until players who quit their teams.. I mean, Universities, owe them money and they get sued? And other universities get sued for meddling in contracts others have with athletes they recruit to transfer?

Then, of course, you'll have politicians offering bills a covering variety of amnesty programs.. paying off what's owed for these poor college athletes... which pays lawyers involved, right? etc etc.

What a mess.

3rd party clearinghouse according to some of the tweets with regards to the settlement but I think that's just to make sure things are on the up and up and for protection and maybe tranparency

Maybe.

But there are already laws that protect all the parties to contacts, and laws that require reporting of income, etc. I have a feeling that all the aspects that might make sense to legislate here already have laws that cover them. And I’m pretty sure that all the things that fans might want limited cannot be even through legislation.

I’m only talking about NIL, not revenue sharing which is an entirely different thing.

But I’m not a lawyer or a constitutional scholar.

Congress could try. Hard to imagine what rationale they could use for enacting legislation to regulate NIL agreements between players and third parties. And even if Congress somehow managed to enact such law(s), I would think it highly likely the affected parties would sue and that the courts would almost certainly side with the plaintiff.

Who is being materially harmed by NIL agreements?
In the immortal words of Sheriff Buford T. Justice; "Those sumbitches couldn't close an umbrella."

None had to do with NIL.
A couple of those were grad transfers. And you could say "rob", while others would say provided players an opportunity to play at a higher level and for them to earn something for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT