ADVERTISEMENT

New assistants

I would consider the head coach at Manesquan who is very familiar with NJ talent.

I would consider the head coach at Manesquan who is very familiar with NJ talent.
it might be wise to bring in a current or former NJ HS Coach that is well respected and has strong ties the NJ HS Coaching fraternity to help RU WBB become an option for local talent .
Get the coaches on RU's side and the talented NJ HS players will look at RU as a good option

Does Coach Washington know Marianne Stanley? Just saw that she has been let go by the Fever.
I like Marianne. She was very helpful to Vivian I think in 2 particular ways. Working to develop the bigs - particularly Kia Vaughn, and giving offensive assistance to CVS in-game.

That said, she is 68 and not sure she would be any better than a multitude of other prospective assistants, especially as I doubt she would be any help in the recruiting area, and I'm not sure how well she would relate to the players.

No! Please No! She's been let go for a reason. With all her vast years of experience, I hope we don't consider bringing her back....unless Coquese has a very good relationship with her and wants it to happen.

She was the first in the W to not see what she had in Betnijah and cut her. For that reason alone...NO to Marianne Stanley!

Does Coach Washington know Marianne Stanley? Just saw that she has been let go by the Fever.
Stanley at 68 might not want to go back to being an assistant for a college program and it's been
around 14 years since she was one at RU.
But if she was willing ( from a coaching standpoint) would be a good get and might help ( because of her WNBA experience) with recruiting

I like Marianne. She was very helpful to Vivian I think in 2 particular ways. Working to develop the bigs - particularly Kia Vaughn, and giving offensive assistance to CVS in-game.

That said, she is 68 and not sure she would be any better than a multitude of other prospective assistants, especially as I doubt she would be any help in the recruiting area, and I'm not sure how well she would relate to the players.
I was thinking more on the helping CW get the players game ready and maybe having her talking to the NJ HS coaches about how their more talented players' game would be devoloped to be WNBA ready if they came to Rutgers.
That might help recruiting

Wow! I didn’t know all of this when I suggested her. People on this board have had great things to say about her in the past.

You might be confusing her with somebody else.
I don't see why you would say that. We would not have had the Final Four in 2007 without her. Folks have often spoken of how useful she was with that team. In Greensboro after winning the Regional, folks were chanting "4 more years" and she held up one finger, indicating she had committed for one more year.

My thing is, that was that team and this is going to be this team. I don't think she is the right fit now.

Similar to the calendar working against Hobbs in trying to find a new HC, I would imagine CW will encounter the same issues with procuring assistants from other schools. Let's hope she has solid connections within the industry because the HC search clearly indicated this was not an easy sell given 6 years and approximately $4.5MM we are paying for an HC whose recent track record would not suggest she was in high demand.

Get Mabry from Notre Dame.
If she is an up and coming assistant, a recruiting shark and wants to be back in NJ, then Yes. The issue is, can Rutgers outpay ND for a 3rd assistant? She is probably not experienced enough to be an Associate HC.

Similar to the calendar working against Hobbs in trying to find a new HC, I would imagine CW will encounter the same issues with procuring assistants from other schools. Let's hope she has solid connections within the industry because the HC search clearly indicated this was not an easy sell given 6 years and approximately $4.5MM we are paying for an HC whose recent track record would not suggest she was in high demand.
The late start is not that big of a deal.......or so I've been told.

Couple of things.

Assistants move for many reasons and the calender month won't prevent it. Geographic reasons, money, connections with a coach, money, promotion from #1 or #2 assistant to Associate HC, money. One more....money.

I subscribe to the "The Next" newsletter, and they had a story on the Coquese hire. they talked to Kia Vaughn, who interestingly said:

“I’m really happy a Black woman got the opportunity,” Vaughn said. “They're opening the door for everyone. When I'm done, hopefully, she wants to have me as an assistant coach. I'll be there. But overall, opportunity, that's all we need as women.”

I'd personally love to have Kia as an assistant at some point in the future!

Well, they certainly don't move for the same money.
I'm not 100% sure that is completely true, it is likely, but for ambitious assistants the key thing is to go where your career will be furthered, possibly by learning from a great coach, for example. For career assistants, they are often going to stay with head coaches they have worked with for years. Numerous examples abound.

I say this because U of A has had a parade of Assistant Women's Basketball Coaches, the only constant is Salvo Coppa, Coach Barnes' husband. Among others, we had UConn assistant Morgan Valley for a couple of years, and currently - if it hasn't changed - have the former Texas Tech star Erin Grant on staff. At one time we had Calamity McEntire, who was just named Assoc. Head Coach at Illinois, she was most recently on staff at Texas. So was April Philips, who did a stint under Adia here in Tucson, I think she is still at Texas.

There are a lot of useful and good Assistant Coaches out there. I'm sure CW, especially being a former pro, and a Notre Dame alum and assistant there, has a lot of connections to find the right person and entice them.

JMO, but, I think many coaches do move at times for the same amount of $$ if other variables are as important. Not to keep bringing up Chelsea's name, but she is a good example. I have followed her closely over many years as a player, both collegiate, and pro in WNBA, Coach at Georgia, etc.
She WAS very interested in the job.
"Rutgers returns just three players next season, with three 2022 signings joining them. The Scarlet Knights saw eight players enter the transfer portal at the end of the 2021-22 season.

“I’ve had one conversation with our team,” Washington said. “I’m excited about their energy and their passion for Rutgers. They love this place. Like most programs across the country, you look at the transfer portal that rosters are in flux. It’s a little premature to talk about the roster at this point because it’s not complete. It’s not rock solid, so I’m not ready to comment on that.”
Glad CW has "met" with the team" of 3, time will tell. Sorry for the negativity.

JMO, but, I think many coaches do move at times for the same amount of $$ if other variables are as important. Not to keep bringing up Chelsea's name, but she is a good example. I have followed her closely over many years as a player, both collegiate, and pro in WNBA, Coach at Georgia, etc.
"Rutgers returns just three players next season, with three 2022 signings joining them. The Scarlet Knights saw eight players enter the transfer portal at the end of the 2021-22 season.

“I’ve had one conversation with our team,” Washington said. “I’m excited about their energy and their passion for Rutgers. They love this place. Like most programs across the country, you look at the transfer portal that rosters are in flux. It’s a little premature to talk about the roster at this point because it’s not complete. It’s not rock solid, so I’m not ready to comment on that.”
Glad CW has "met" with the team" of 3, time will tell. Sorry for the negativity.
Not sure that's a statistical sample size as a % . I would expect the "and then there were three" group to be happy. But it's a start. Should be interesting and even a bit fun to see a team built from scratch so fast.

Wow is the team really just 3 at the moment?!?!

“I’m excited about their energy and their passion for Rutgers. They love this place.
In reference to this part of Coquese's statement:
I would have to say, it certainly seemed that way about our whole roster of potentially returning players(those who entered the portal included) and those who have the extra year(Sayawni, Lasha, Destiny). They waited until they could wait no more, in order to be ensured of a season and coach that they could be happy with.

That right there tells me that Coquese wasn't exaggerating at all. None of them rushed out the door.

Well, maybe you could say Liz did. But after watching how the season played out for her,...We understand.

Last edited:
Wow is the team really just 3 at the moment?!?!
Team is currently:
Erica Lafayette
Chyna Cornwell
Awa Sidibe
Antonia Bates
Kaylene Smikle
Abby Streeter
Kai Carter

Hopefully, Sakima Walker and Kierra Sanderlin, can be talked into staying put.

Destiny Marshall is still in play to come back also. Honestly, I would like to see her find a school that would allow her to stay on the court and get plenty of minutes.

During her time here at RU, she, Steph Guihon, and Joiya Maddox have not been able to play much. I would hate for her to come back for her last year of college ball and be in that situation again. There will be a lot of players on the roster at her position again if she were to stay here. She should try to take advantage of the portal.

And it would have been nice if Lasha and Sayawni had stayed, but, again, I understand.

I would imagine most of the assistants in major programs won't switch at this late date and up and coming ones in conferences not consider major ones have to weight staying where they are at or moving to the RU WBB program in terms of which would better for thir future career and the way RU WBB looks now, being in the B1G isn't as big as enticement as it should be. .

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I would imagine most of the assistants in major programs won't switch at this late date and up and coming ones in conferences not consider major ones have to weight staying where they are at or moving to the RU WBB program in terms of which would better for thir future career and the way RU WBB looks now, being in the B1G isn't as big as enticement as it should be. .
Although we have a couple on the transfer out list that haven’t committed. Maybe they’ll stay! 🤞

The silence is deafening

Odd there hasn’t been an announcement. You don’t take this job without knowing you have a most of your staff in place. It’s pretty much part of the hiring process. Who do you have commitments from and how much will they cost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT