ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Hobbs

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
You hired this coach, now fire her ASAP. Why you hired this women I never understood. She was a lousy leader, and crap coach at PState, and sat on the bench at Notre Dame. Let her stay? Why? This team, or what's left of it is completely shell shocked. Might as well start from scratch. All the no name assistants can take a hike as well.
What's left of this team is broken.
End of rant.

Tasha Pointer might be a good assistant under the right HC and
Kahleah Copper is just starting out in the coaching ranks.
But guilt by association might mean they leave with Coquese Washington so the program can start anew under a HC that can make a difference and Hobbs must
pay what it takes to get the best and the type of staff that will make RU WBB a winner

There were a number of RU posters who claimed this woman was going to turn this program around.

You hired this coach, now fire her ASAP. Why you hired this women I never understood. She was a lousy leader, and crap coach at PState, and sat on the bench at Notre Dame. Let her stay? Why? This team, or what's left of it is completely shell shocked. Might as well start from scratch. All the no name assistants can take a hike as well.
End of rant.
Wow! I've never seen you like this... That says a lot.

End of rant.
Yes, yes and. yesssssssssssssss. Do it today!!!!!

Reactions: ScarletteK80
End of rant.
Guys said this many times this is 150% all on CVS Hobbs wanted to let her go 7 years ago but we all know he couldn't and you all know why and then EVERYONE KNOWS she milked the athletic department(Hobbs) for as much as she could and as long as she could!!!!
Even the way and time she left cost us a full year of recruiting both high school and the portal; now I am not sold on CW either but she has had only 1 full year to recruit; she has 2 studs coming in but she MUST MUST get a minimum of 5 girls in the portal and not just bodies and also as I said if she can get a good to very good big this team has potential; if she fails next year with no improvement shown then I agree 110% then she has to go no matter how big her buyout is!!!

Guys said this many times this is 150% all on CVS Hobbs wanted to let her go 7 years ago but we all know he couldn't and you all know why and then EVERYONE KNOWS she milked the athletic department(Hobbs) for as much as she could and as long as she could!!!!
Even the way and time she left cost us a full year of recruiting both high school and the portal; now I am not sold on CW either but she has had only 1 full year to recruit; she has 2 studs coming in but she MUST MUST get a minimum of 5 girls in the portal and not just bodies and also as I said if she can get a good to very good big this team has potential; if she fails next year with no improvement shown then I agree 110% then she has to go no matter how big her buyout is!!!
Good post.

So … there are still many unanswered questions . This is a long term rebuild in my opinion. Every year until she shows her team has improved will always lead back to the HOW … how did Rutgers allow this. Best is as alums , fans , donors there appears to be a veil over the program. Very silent which is very telling.

College basketball, under the current paradigm need not be a long rebuild…see what LSU did in one year. Now mulkey is a hall of famer to be so that’s an extreme case, yet you can build a contender fast.

CW was never the answer, is not the answer and will not be the answer. Should she be given one more year with the class coming in? I suppose. That should be the max she gets.

CW is not culpable for the pile of ashes CVS left behind, but this is where the AD makes his money.

Moving on from CW if the 24-25 season is a cluster must be a priority.

Reactions: bac2therac
I know, I know, I’ve read all the threads, I know she should get another year, but…. Is she gone yet???? Lol

College basketball, under the current paradigm need not be a long rebuild…see what LSU did in one year. Now mulkey is a hall of famer to be so that’s an extreme case, yet you can build a contender fast.

CW was never the answer, is not the answer and will not be the answer. Should she be given one more year with the class coming in? I suppose. That should be the max she gets.

CW is not culpable for the pile of ashes CVS left behind, but this is where the AD makes his money.

Moving on from CW if the 24-25 season is a cluster must be a priority.
That ain’t happening with CW as HC.

I have refrained from posting my thoughts until after the season ended. I moved away last March, so I only observed from afar. IMO people should stop blaming Vivian. She did what she felt was best for her and I don't fault her for that even though I don't agree with how she handled her departure. The current status of the program is not on her - unless you want to blame her for the Coquese Washington hire. If you do, than yes, maybe we could have hired Shauna Green or another hot hire, but I don't think our hiring of Coquese at "the last minute" is totally on her and I think Coquese wasn't a bad choice. based on her prior experience. Unfortunately, she just hasn't been able to get us to win. I don't know why she wasn't able to get Smikle to want to play for us nor do I know why Jillian feels the need to leave, but IMO, that is on her and her current staff, not anyone else. So, what do we do? IMO, she should be given one more year and if there isn't significant improvement, Hobbs should hire someone else. I would really like to know why Smikle decided to sit ut the rest of this season and then enter the transfer portal, but I doubt we will ever really know. I hope Coach can turn it around, but I am not optimistic.

I have refrained from posting my thoughts until after the season ended. I moved away last March, so I only observed from afar. IMO people should stop blaming Vivian. She did what she felt was best for her and I don't fault her for that even though I don't agree with how she handled her departure. The current status of the program is not on her - unless you want to blame her for the Coquese Washington hire. If you do, than yes, maybe we could have hired Shauna Green or another hot hire, but I don't think our hiring of Coquese at "the last minute" is totally on her and I think Coquese wasn't a bad choice. based on her prior experience. Unfortunately, she just hasn't been able to get us to win. I don't know why she wasn't able to get Smikle to want to play for us nor do I know why Jillian feels the need to leave, but IMO, that is on her and her current staff, not anyone else. So, what do we do? IMO, she should be given one more year and if there isn't significant improvement, Hobbs should hire someone else. I would really like to know why Smikle decided to sit ut the rest of this season and then enter the transfer portal, but I doubt we will ever really know. I hope Coach can turn it around, but I am not optimistic.
So you agree with CVS but don’t like how she went about doing it? Now those who want to lay some blame on her for where this program is now shouldn’t because you decided it doesn’t warrant backlash? HOF coach yes she is … where she screwed up was not having any idea with maybe suggesting someone better than Tim.

Disagree with you 150% this is all on CVS from how she milked every last dollar out of the Hobbs and the athletic department to her final act of essentially leaving when we had no chance to even get anyone in CW first year. So this sht show is all on her and of course the final act of getting her name on the court for what. Let’s remember this coach NEVER won a national championship
So like I said we have to give CW this year and two things she needs to have at least 10-12 scholarship players and we need to show a good deal of improvement if those don’t happen then she should be a goner!!

Disagree with you 150% this is all on CVS from how she milked every last dollar out of the Hobbs and the athletic department to her final act of essentially leaving when we had no chance to even get anyone in CW first year. So this sht show is all on her and of course the final act of getting her name on the court for what. Let’s remember this coach NEVER won a national championship
So like I said we have to give CW this year and two things she needs to have at least 10-12 scholarship players and we need to show a good deal of improvement if those don’t happen then she should be a goner!!
CVS should have hung them up a long time ago. Really a disgrace what she did in the final years.

The women's basketball program has been in a downward spiral and the changes in the coaching staff hasn't improved the situation.The constant chaos with players coming and going has been demoralizing which has resulted in unwatchable performances on the court.Washington had a good resume in getting the job but seems overwhelmed with problems on and off the court.Next season should tell the story if another coaching change is required.

Complain about her taking a leave of absence rather than admit her health wouldn't let her do the job and beginning the programs downfall because of the uncertainty of what would happen , coaching or not, and how it was her name that brought in the recruits more than the school that needed to be changed with he out and no one knowing when she'd return or if she'd be able to.
Also putting in a temporary replacement that proved unqualified for the job, though his resume shown he did a good job replacing Stringer a few year earlier for a short while making him look like he could handle the position for one year .
He was just about the only hire possible because of with CVS intending to return all qualified candidates wouldn't look at taking a one year HC position.

Stringer's LOA hurt the programs future and CW is reaping that reward now
But Coquesey seems to be having trouble holding on to some of the better players and
is 20-44 in her 2 years. Washington deserves one more year to prove he can make RU a winner because she did inherit a disaster CVS' refusing to go when her health became a hinderence to her being able to coach .

Complain about not being a threat in the NCAA Tourney and going to it only 3 of the last 6 times it was held while Vivian was HC
But stop implying RU WBB was a losing program under her her last 10 years
192-118 isn't a losing record. The last 10 seasons just didn't live up to most posting here's expectations and that includes me.

I look at football and after one great season know that program never reached the heights expected of it and there were those calling for that HC to leave after the heights were never reached sunk into oblivion after he left
RU MBB has a HC that has support, though that might be fading because he hasn't reached the Tourney the last two seasons In his 8 years RU made the dance 2 times.
Not too bad for a program that went from 1991 to 2020 without a tourney bid

CVS' final two years
2019–20Rutgers22–911–7T–5thCanceled due to COVID-19
2020–21Rutgers14–510–33rdNCAA Division I First Round

Going back to CVS, it blows my mind that she did not actively assist in her replacement. This is part of her legacy. Three FFs, a national finalist and decidedly downward program after about 2010 considering where it had been. RUWBB is in uncharted territory. AIAW national champs over Texas, HoF Grentz, the magical Wicks (Naismith winner) era…the Stringer era. While it may not be UConn or Tenn, this program deserved better.

So sad…

So those “ good” recruits can lay down mid year or enter the transfer portal… sure ok.

Complain about her taking a leave of absence rather than admit her health wouldn't let her do the job and beginning the programs downfall because of the uncertainty of what would happen , coaching or not, and how it was her name that brought in the recruits more than the school that needed to be changed with he out and no one knowing when she'd return or if she'd be able to.
Also putting in a temporary replacement that proved unqualified for the job, though his resume shown he did a good job replacing Stringer a few year earlier for a short while making him look like he could handle the position for one year .
He was just about the only hire possible because of with CVS intending to return all qualified candidates wouldn't look at taking a one year HC position.

But Coquesey seems to be having trouble holding on to some of the better players and
is 20-44 in her 2 years. Washington deserves one more year to prove he can make RU a winner because she did inherit a disaster CVS' refusing to go when her health became a hinderence to her being able to coach .

Complain about not being a threat in the NCAA Tourney and going to it only 3 of the last 6 times it was held while Vivian was HC
192-118 isn't a losing record. The last 10 seasons just didn't live up to most posting here's expectations and that includes me.

I look at football and after one great season know that program never reached the heights expected of it and there were those calling for that HC to leave after the heights were never reached sunk into oblivion after he left
RU MBB has a HC that has support, though that might be fading because he hasn't reached the Tourney the last two seasons In his 8 years RU made the dance 2 times.

CVS' final two years
There are a number of variables involved in the records here. The problem was she couldn’t come to admit her health, covid 19 and her daughter’s care were more important. Had Rutgers been more proactive they would have set her up in a position where she felt comfortable , had prestige from her history and also compensated appropriately. They could have avoided the negative slant from all sides. That falls upon Hobbs and the BOD who wanted to save a $$$$ but has ended up being a blemish on the ladies basketball program. We will see but losing once again some very good players is troubling to a fanbase who is being asked to cough up more NIL funding. 2024-2025 will be interesting on the Banks.

End of rant.

I don't follow the Women's basketball team in depth but looking at the coaches history:

Awards & Honors
WBCA Carol Eckman Integrity in Coaching Award (2023)
Big Ten Coach of the Year (2012, 2013, 2014)
WBCA Region 6 Coach of the Year (2012, 2013)
WBCA National Coach of the Year Finalist (2012, 2013)
BCA Female Coach of the Year (2011, 2013)
Greater Flint Hall of Fame Inductee (2009)
WBCA "Rising Star" Award Winner (2008)

There is potential and having 2 5* committed and with the right transfers, she should get one more year to see if she can turn the ship around.

There are a number of variables involved in the records here. The problem was she couldn’t come to admit her health, covid 19 and her daughter’s care were more important. Had Rutgers been more proactive they would have set her up in a position where she felt comfortable , had prestige from her history and also compensated appropriately. They could have avoided the negative slant from all sides. That falls upon Hobbs and the BOD who wanted to save a $$$$ but has ended up being a blemish on the ladies basketball program. We will see but losing once again some very good players is troubling to a fanbase who is being asked to cough up more NIL funding. 2024-2025 will be interesting on the Banks.
Actually Bob, even though I defend CVS most (99%) of the time her name is mentioned on this board , I feel what you said about Hobbs finding a spot for her was impossible.
My opinion is that Stringer wouldn't accept anything less than returning as head coach once her health improved. Refusing to admit there was a strong possibility it wouldn't and a replacement needed to be hired.
So the leave of absence was implemented, Eatman was named interim HC and the program turned into a mess because the team didn't know who would be the permant HC , recruits didn't know if CVS would return to coach them and Eatman proved not able to handle the top spot .
Vivian Stringer should have retired and Hobbs could have made her HC Emeritus with a ( for honoray purposes only) assistant AD title.
But I doubt Vivian would have accepted that and left Hobbs in a lurch, terminate a HOF HC because of her health or allow her to take a leave of absence and come back after a year when her health improved .
Hobbs took the lesser of two evils and the program is paying for that now .
I can't blame Hobbs I blame Vivian for being too stuborn to accept her health wouldn't allow her tostand up to the rigers of being a HC ever again and that made a winning (but not a top program) fall into a disaster and one that might take a long time to recover from.

Reactions: dfr1966
Going back to CVS, it blows my mind that she did not actively assist in her replacement. This is part of her legacy. Three FFs, a national finalist and decidedly downward program after about 2010 considering where it had been. RUWBB is in uncharted territory. AIAW national champs over Texas, HoF Grentz, the magical Wicks (Naismith winner) era…the Stringer era. While it may not be UConn or Tenn, this program deserved better.

So sad…
She didnt assist because she was ill

The real problem was Hobbs didnt nip this in the bud back in 2016 or 2017 and ferret out a plan when CVS was of sound mind

Actually Bob, even though I defend CVS most (99%) of the time her name is mentioned on this board , I feel what you said about Hobbs finding a spot for her was impossible.
My opinion is that Stringer wouldn't accept anything less than returning as head coach once her health improved. Refusing to admit there was a strong possibility it wouldn't and a replacement needed to be hired.
So the leave of absence was implemented, Eatman was named interim HC and the program turned into a mess because the team didn't know who would be the permant HC , recruits didn't know if CVS would return to coach them and Eatman proved not able to handle the top spot .
Vivian Stringer should have retired and Hobbs could have made her HC Emeritus with a ( for honoray purposes only) assistant AD title.
But I doubt Vivian would have accepted that and left Hobbs in a lurch, terminate a HOF HC because of her health or allow her to take a leave of absence and come back after a year when her health improved .
Hobbs took the lesser of two evils and the program is paying for that now .
I can't blame Hobbs I blame Vivian for being too stuborn to accept her health wouldn't allow her tostand up to the rigers of being a HC ever again and that made a winning (but not a top program) fall into a disaster and one that might take a long time to recover from.
I have learned several things in my 74 years. NOTHING IN THIS ERA IS IMPOSSIBLE…things are easily changed with the ability to pay.

She didnt assist because she was ill

The real problem was Hobbs didnt nip this in the bud back in 2016 or 2017 and ferret out a plan when CVS was of sound mind
I mainly meant…circa 2017-2019…it was clear her era was ending. She could have been the “architect” of her replacement. She should have been grooming someone to take over.

I have learned several things in my 74 years. NOTHING IN THIS ERA IS IMPOSSIBLE…things are easily changed with the ability to pay.
And I've learned , with a few years more, sometimes one can try but success won't come unless the other is willing to accept their limitations.
I believe Hobbs could offer anything, but Vivian only would accept being able to be the HC again because Stringer thought she'd overcome her health problems

You don’t know that and you can’t verify whether an offer of substances was ever offered to Stringer. In retrospect it would have been worth the effort seeing what has happened since she stopped actively coaching at Stringer Arena. It will be another 2-3 years if ever the way this is playing out. Welcome to Chris Ash part 2 .

And I've learned , with a few years more, sometimes one can try but success won't come unless the other is willing to accept their limitations.
I believe Hobbs could offer anything, but Vivian only would accept being able to be the HC again because Stringer thought she'd overcome her health problems
There was no hint that Viv was thinking she could overcome health issues. She would have stayed until her 80’s … she just couldn’t admit the WBB World had passed her by. Our men’s team better change their thinking about winning with D… you can’t win with just D. It’s like someone else who at one time claimed we are a D team first… he has made a 180 on that practice.

I mainly meant…circa 2017-2019…it was clear her era was ending. She could have been the “architect” of her replacement. She should have been grooming someone to take over.
My god hi have stated this so many times that’s she was not leaving until she milked Rutgers for every last penny she could get out of them because she NEEDED the money and this was very well known and I know this for a fact

CVS' final two years

You’ve gotta give Pike the Covid year if we’re being honest about performance, so 3x in 8. 1 NIT bid. 1 NCAA robbery.

But it is time for MBB to take the next step.

Agree with all you said above. Swap out another coach and give them the “facilities” she had, and WBB is a dumpster fire like MBB.

She had an option to move into an administrative role and if she was bilking RU for pay (or more accurately, back pay), she could have done that. She wouldn’t be the first legend without a transition plan.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Tasha Pointer might be a good assistant under the right HC and
Kahleah Copper is just starting out in the coaching ranks.
But guilt by association might mean they leave with Coquese Washington so the program can start anew under a HC that can make a difference and Hobbs must
pay what it takes to get the best and the type of staff that will make RU WBB a winner

I knew you would disagree with me. You never supported CVS. All of your posts about her over the years were negative to how she guided the program. Personally, I thought I detected a certain bias against her from you, but I could be wrong. However, you do seem to be against Coach Washington too. So, I am going to ask what is your take on Coach Pikell and how he is running the men's bb program? An awful lot of players entering the transfer portal - more than the women so far.. Should he be replaced too?

I knew you would disagree with me. You never supported CVS. All of your posts about her over the years were negative to how she guided the program. Personally, I thought I detected a certain bias against her from you, but I could be wrong. However, you do seem to be against Coach Washington too. So, I am going to ask what is your take on Coach Pikell and how he is running the men's bb program? An awful lot of players entering the transfer portal - more than the women so far.. Should he be replaced too?
Except the men’s program is not in free fall and has two of the top three recruits in the country. Recruits NOT going to Kansas or UK or UNC or Duke.

Monster difference.

Just because someone criticizes a woman of color doesn't mean they are biased. CVS was an incredible coach for a long time and deserves her recognition, unfortunately the way it ended puts a solid blemish on all of her accomplishments.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I don't follow the Women's basketball team in depth but looking at the coaches history:

Awards & Honors
WBCA Carol Eckman Integrity in Coaching Award (2023)
Big Ten Coach of the Year (2012, 2013, 2014)
WBCA Region 6 Coach of the Year (2012, 2013)
WBCA National Coach of the Year Finalist (2012, 2013)
BCA Female Coach of the Year (2011, 2013)

Greater Flint Hall of Fame Inductee (2009)
WBCA "Rising Star" Award Winner (2008)

There is potential and having 2 5* committed and with the right transfers, she should get one more year to see if she can turn the ship around.
2011-2014 was a great run. What happened after that? 8 year gap of on-court coaching accomplishments? Didn't think it a terrible hire at the time but Ru (Hobbs) went small ball again..and for anyone saying "nobody wanted to tough Rutgers" then don't go saying the program was left in a good spot.

Just because someone criticizes a woman of color doesn't mean they are biased. CVS was an incredible coach for a long time and deserves her recognition, unfortunately the way it ended puts a big wart on all of her accomplishments.
FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT