ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 25 MINNESOTA: Back to the drawing board

Not an attack more an observation. Someone brought up Gavin having to gain 15 to 20 lbs to become a force. Well, who on our current or past teams have you seen putting on 15 to 20 lbs of muscle? I haven't, so I don't think that'll happen with our current strength and conditioning coach.
Minny's freshman Christie put this whole arguement to bed.

Reactions: Kbee3 and zebnatto
Keep in mind, how many skeptical fans were of JaMicheal Davis and fans saying we only took him because of Ace Bailey. He is a plus athlete and competitive levels are at 10 out of 10. Add Simpson and JWill to that mix and his willingness to empty the tank and hustle on defense and we just need the front court pieces, to compliment what's being built at guard.

Still not sure what he is and what he will become. Biggest issue i see with the roster is it is 2024 and we are very bad shooters.

If you are going to move any needles on offense and you arent a good shooter you almost have to be as talented and skilled as jeremiah on offense.

You will hear zero complaints from me with his compete level, his 50/50 getittiveness or his defense.

Reactions: kcg88
Nope. Wrong. Only our team gets tired, nevermind that we have a longer bench (not saying better) than most teams ? Missed layups are from playing scared of contact or getting rejected. You think Wolf can’t make bunnies because he’s winded ? Winded from what ? Too much clapping on the bench ?
Dude …your off on this . I saw the fatigue on Thursday night ….they rooted this one out

I’m not making excuses …I’m telling what I saw. It happens to every team at some point …

The problem is for most of year we start 4 6th-9th men....Addition of Jeremiah changed that

The bench is more like 10-12th men than the need 6th-8th

Thats a result of bad luck losing 2 guards in portal but Pikes shaky recruiting
Now this is accurate …and why pike ends up , at time , not trusting his bench

We are massively paying for 0 for 2 with miller and jones

After this loss, just in this thread: our players are terrible, our coaching is suspect at best, our strength and conditioning is bad, also we need to recruit depth better. It's amazing that EVERYTHING has reared their ugly head in one game. Amazing, I said.

Or maybe, after a four game with streak, a bunch of 18-23 year olds couldn't keep up the intensity and the match up was bad.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Not an attack more an observation. Someone brought up Gavin having to gain 15 to 20 lbs to become a force. Well, who on our current or past teams have you seen putting on 15 to 20 lbs of muscle? I haven't, so I don't think that'll happen with our current strength and conditioning coach.
BS- try - Harper, Mac , Geo, Hyatt, M ag , even Cliff

Game was lost with the big minutes and effort played by jeremiah simpsom and cliff vs Northwestern…..

I think Pike should have played jeremiah less in half 1.

I have been saying this for awhile now. Gavin should not be playing. A williams or oskar please.

Gavin is going backwards. We are hurting his development playing him.
Your fixation on Gavin is so interesting to say the least
Mag and Hayatt get a combined 9 pts and 5 reb and your assertion is that Gavin shouldn't be playing ?
Gavin looks like he is thinking about everything he does on the court
At this level, players have to be able to play on instinct
We've seen glimpses of what he can do on the court this year
I suspect that in the future , many here will realize how wrong they have been about Gavin
I hope he's still at Rutgers when that happens

Reactions: bac2therac
I am fixated on winning games. We are playing a guy who has no business being on the court.

Until we get 2 more losses i want to see others play.

Your fixation on Gavin is so interesting to say the least
Mag and Hayatt get a combined 9 pts and 5 reb and your assertion is that Gavin shouldn't be playing ?
Gavin looks like he is thinking about everything he does on the court
At this level, players have to be able to play on instinct
We've seen glimpses of what he can do on the court this year
I suspect that in the future , many here will realize how wrong they have been about Gavin
I hope he's still at Rutgers when that happens
I've been a Gavin supporter this year, seeing glimpses of potential amidst his struggles, and thinking that "this is the game he breaks out, builds confidence, and unlocks that potential." We keep waiting and waiting and waiting, and we're now 25 games in, and that breakout is nowhere to be found. Instead,...

... he's averaging 16.2 minutes per game and has taken the second most 3-point shots on the team, but he has only hit 24% (18-75). Overall, he's only shooting 31.6% (49-155), and I'd venture a guess that 20 of those 49 makes are either dunks or layups. He can be counted on for at least two awful looking shots per game (airballs or just terrible off-balance jumpers that hit the side of the rim). If it wasn't for his 4-star status and "best shooter in the freshmen class" hype, he would be sitting next to Chol on the end of the bench. It's maddening.

I haven't given up on him, and hope that the offseason and a year of experience and maturity -- and less pressure of being a shooting Savior with Ace and Dylan coming aboard -- will unlock his potential. But I have given up thinking that the breakout will come this season.

Hilariously (assuming you didn't look it up) Gavin is exactly 20/37 on close 2s.

Close 2s 20/37
Long 2s 11/42
3s 18/76
Ha! You're right that I didn't look it up. Just had a "feel" for the number of dunks/layups he's made.

Damn, I feel like I just guessed the number of jellybeans in the jar, but don't get a prize...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT