ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 28 MICHIGAN: Crowd Pleaser

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Its late and I am tired...going to drift off by watching some Paul Mulcahy vs UCLA. So I will finish more thoughts tomorrow but just wanted to get a few thoughts out there now.

This game was one of those rare old fashion conference laughers you might remember from the A10 or Eastern 8 vs St Bonaventure, the ones where you just unbuckle your top pants button lay back in your plastic seat at the RAC and enjoy without a care in the world. Call it a fan appreciation game. RU was abysmal in its last game vs Maryland at the RAC and came into the game with just a 4-7 mark in its last 11 games. Yeah this one goes out to the fans who were engaged and boisterous and appreciative throughout. If they were only all this easy

Major major credit to Pike tonight in gameprep and his strategy to beat Michigan by attack and exploiting a poor defense team with little confidence. Michigan has only been blown out a few times this year and actually stayed fairly close with Purdue last game....but one thing at this point after losing 16 of 18 is that they were not going to be committed to playing defense. They would want this game up in the 80s. That they played into Pike's hands was perfect. RU didnt win with elite defense, they won with their offense tonight, perhaps a new wrinkle Pike showed tonight in his arsenal. One could not have scripted a better opening 5 minutes. RU got stops and turnovers and punished Michigan by ramming the ball right down their throats right to the hoop. Yes it helps that the shots went in early and they kept going in and RU kept ramming it down Juwan's throat. Certainly the 10-0 run by Michigan the last 5:28 of the first half was dismal by Rutgers but they came out of halftime down and rammed down Slappy's throat again and again. My game ball goes to Coach Pikiell. Had his team bouncing back from what had to be the depths after the Maryland stinker and to show so much energy and willingness to follow the gameplan and succeed tonight was impressive to see. We had all players basically on the same page for a rare time, all understanding their roles and purposes.

How great were Cliff and J Wow (Im mean Will) tonight. Tonight was a sign that RU has not quit yet and I think with Nebby losing and all pressure on them Sunday would not be surprised to see a surprising dogfight there. Realize Michigan sucks but RU was headed to the sucks catagory after those 3 losses so what we can get and look for all the signs that maybe there is more fight in this old dog yet.

Will this be Juwan's Fred Grunniger moment, Fred resigned the day after RU was embarrassed on national tv by Syracuse 50-3 on a Thursday. You can only imagine how a 30 point loss to a 15-13 Rutgers team not headed to the NCAA tournament is sitting with the Maize and Blue faithful tonight.

Last edited:
1.3 points per possession I saw somewhere Highest of the season

122.3 adjusted officiency. Highest of the season

75.8 Adjust defensive efficiency. 2nd best behind st peters

Cliff a ridiculous offensive rating 168.2 going for 19 and 15 and flashing what could be next season surrounded by a better offense. Make no mistake. Cliff is such an excellent fit on a team with true offensive stars

JWill excellent. 9-12 fpr 19 points. He got banged up and had a couple poorer games but looked explosive and quick tonight. The entire team looked "fresh"

Davis quietly being more and more efficient. 3-4 8 points and hitting both FTs. He is taking only quality looks and bringing the defense and hustle

Simpson another in the long list of very poor shooting nights unfortunately going 1-7 but it was irrelevant in such a blowout

Ogbole questionable DNP and no Wolf. Interesting move by Pike. Even when Reed was in and Cliff was out he had Oskar playing the 5 guarding him

Thought Pike missed a chance to try to get Gavin's confidence going against the worst team in the conference who was playing terrible defense in a blowout win. Not buying bac's logic on this. If the score was close, sure but it was an absolute beat downnnn from the tip. Not the end of the world obviously, but would have handled that differently

48 points in the paint. Only 5 TOs

1.3 points per possession I saw somewhere Highest of the season

122.3 adjusted officiency. Highest of the season

75.8 Adjust defensive efficiency. 2nd best behind st peters

Cliff a ridiculous offensive rating 168.2 going for 19 and 15 and flashing what could be next season surrounded by a better offense. Make no mistake. Cliff is such an excellent fit on a team with true offensive stars

JWill excellent. 9-12 fpr 19 points. He got banged up and had a couple poorer games but looked explosive and quick tonight. The entire team looked "fresh"

Davis quietly being more and more efficient. 3-4 8 points and hitting both FTs. He is taking only quality looks and bringing the defense and hustle

Simpson another in the long list of very poor shooting nights unfortunately going 1-7 but it was irrelevant in such a blowout

Ogbole questionable DNP and no Wolf. Interesting move by Pike. Even when Reed was in and Cliff was out he had Oskar playing the 5 guarding him

Thought Pike missed a chance to try to get Gavin's confidence going against the worst team in the conference who was playing terrible defense in a blowout win. Not buying bac's logic on this. If the score was close, sure but it was an absolute beat downnnn from the tip. Not the end of the world obviously, but would have handled that differently

48 points in the paint. Only 5 TOs
For the past few years Pikiell starts off the season by making sure there is always a center on the floor no matter what and each time by the end of it he ends up playing small ball lineups. Palmquist is far from the ideal small ball 5 but I pray that he finally sees the light.

Wolf and Ogbole need to go. They're not Big Ten centers. Bring in Sommerville, bring Cliff back or get a transfer, and call it there. If those two end up only combining for 35 minutes on a given night then you can play Ace or Mag or someone else at the 5 and present a different look offensively.

Simpson is just brutal. Absolutely cannot shoot the ball. What Pikiell does with a hardworking local guy who is just not cut out for this level will be interesting.

The easiest explanation on Griffiths and the one that's been staring everyone in the face since the first time we saw him in November is that he's not a very good high major basketball player. I'm always willing to give freshmen a second year but if it doesn't pop next year then you move on.

Davis 7-27 (26%)
Simpson 19-66 (29%)
Williams 4-15 (27%)

This is unacceptable three point shooting from the backcourt and we cannot run it back with the same guys. Any offense that starts here is dead on arrival because it's so easy to defend. Go under every screen and cut off their path to the basketball. Now, Williams looks like he's talented enough to overcome this but Simpson and Davis are not.

The reason our offense looks like crap, last night against the conference's worst defense by a mile notwithstanding, is because everything gets cluttered up because there is no threat of the guards making you pay for packing the paint.

Noah is now 26-70 for 37.1% from 3. Most of our better performances on the season happen when we get 3s. The lineups and flow/rotation need to stay the same the rest of the season.

Reactions: DirtyRU
For the past few years Pikiell starts off the season by making sure there is always a center on the floor no matter what and each time by the end of it he ends up playing small ball lineups. Palmquist is far from the ideal small ball 5 but I pray that he finally sees the light.

Wolf and Ogbole need to go. They're not Big Ten centers. Bring in Sommerville, bring Cliff back or get a transfer, and call it there. If those two end up only combining for 35 minutes on a given night then you can play Ace or Mag or someone else at the 5 and present a different look offensively.

Simpson is just brutal. Absolutely cannot shoot the ball. What Pikiell does with a hardworking local guy who is just not cut out for this level will be interesting.

The easiest explanation on Griffiths and the one that's been staring everyone in the face since the first time we saw him in November is that he's not a very good high major basketball player. I'm always willing to give freshmen a second year but if it doesn't pop next year then you move on.

Disagree about ogbole needing to go. Wolf for sure. Ogbole - depends on what happens with roster

Ogbole has shown signs of being serviceable. . If Cliff comes back (and with Somerville) yeah ogbole’s time will be VERY limited. But so what? Every team has end of the bench guys.

But if Cliff doesn’t return?!?! Unless we get lucky (getting a good 5 in the portal… Not easy). We will need ogbole

Davis 7-27 (26%)
Simpson 19-66 (29%)
Williams 4-15 (27%)

This is unacceptable three point shooting from the backcourt and we cannot run it back with the same guys. Any offense that starts here is dead on arrival because it's so easy to defend. Go under every screen and cut off their path to the basketball. Now, Williams looks like he's talented enough to overcome this but Simpson and Davis are not.

The reason our offense looks like crap, last night against the conference's worst defense by a mile notwithstanding, is because everything gets cluttered up because there is no threat of the guards making you pay for packing the paint.
If Williams hits his next shot he will be 31%. I agree with you in principle but these percentages with 27 and 15 attempts are not that meaningful. That’s even true with Simpson to a degree but with him we’ve got two seasons and also all the two point bricks.

Reactions: Scangg
Picked a great game to go to … team looked locked in and hungry. Can’t remember the last time RU hit so many reverse layups (and layups). I think benching players vs UMD made a point. Maybe it has the effect like Stringer did the year they made the NCAA final. Go RU!

F Michigan. Worst fans anywhere, anyplace, ever. Wish Terry’s Lebron-Dr. J hybrid drive to the basket went down for an And 1!

Michigan was awful.

How long will Michigan stay with Slappy?

Reactions: Kbee3
i couldn't bear to drive an hour and fifteen from Philly last night after that Maryland turd. I think me staying home was the good luck charm.

We lost to Syracuse 50-3??? Gotta assume Bac fell asleep before hitting a trailin zero on that RU score lol.

While I was thrilled with the fine play of Cliff, JWill, JMike, and Noah, my biggest takeaway from this game is that I can't remember a team (Big 10 or otherwise) playing such poor defense against Rutgers. No court awareness, wide open lanes to the basket, wide open perimeter shots, etc. They are truly a mess.

I'm with Bac in that I think this Sunday's game could be interesting. But while Nebraska will be feeling a lot of pressure to win, they are 17-1 in that building. I don't think we're good enough to go in there and take them down. We have to hope they are sweating being on the bubble and play a clunker.

Reactions: RW90
While I was thrilled with the fine play of Cliff, JWill, JMike, and Noah, my biggest takeaway from this game is that I can't remember a team (Big 10 or otherwise) playing such poor defense against Rutgers. No court awareness, wide open lanes to the basket, wide open perimeter shots, etc. They are truly a mess.

totally agree, they were utterly lifeless. zero effort. credit our coaches/ players for recognizing that and exploiting it but there was a REASON JWill (and others) were driving with ease - they gave NO resistance.

great to see Slappy getting slapped.

Reactions: LeapinLou
After seeing that effort or lack thereof from Michigan last night, I can't see them staying with Howard. I have been following college bball for a long time and I don't recall ever seeing a Michigan team perform so bad. Maybe that period a while back when they got hit with a bunch of NCAA sanctions, not sure.

A fun nugget — Bart Torvik, an advanced analytics website akin to KenPom, rates each team a “game score” of 1-100. Rutgers earned a 100 yesterday for just the fourth time in Pikiell’s tenure:

1/28/21: 67-37 vs. MSU
12/14/19: 68-48 vs. SHU
11/19/18: 63-36 vs E. Michigan

when was the last time RU won a conference game by 30 points or more...do we have to go back to the A10 days?

nope..happened last February 2023 in a 90-55 win over Minnesota

After seeing that effort or lack thereof from Michigan last night, I can't see them staying with Howard. I have been following college bball for a long time and I don't recall ever seeing a Michigan team perform so bad. Maybe that period a while back when they got hit with a bunch of NCAA sanctions, not sure.
Agreed. I thought Slappy would get another year earlier in the season bc of the heart surgery / school legend combo... butttt they are just embarrassing themselves now. The effort last night was bad bad. Have to think there are enough boosters at a place like Michigan to step up for a buyout

A fun nugget — Bart Torvik, an advanced analytics website akin to KenPom, rates each team a “game score” of 1-100. Rutgers earned a 100 yesterday for just the fourth time in Pikiell’s tenure:

1/28/21: 67-37 vs. MSU
12/14/19: 68-48 vs. SHU
11/19/18: 63-36 vs E. Michigan

when was the last time RU won a conference game by 30 points or more...do we have to go back to the A10 days?

nope..happened last February 2023 in a 90-55 win over Minnesota
and apparently on 1/28/21

Reactions: bac2therac
I was thinking that there's no way Slappy doesn't get replaced soon....maybe on the bus ride to the airport.

“the ones where you just unbuckle your top pants button lay back in your plastic seat at the RAC and enjoy without a care in the world.”

Brilliant wording Bac.

For once, we could relax - even if some of us (definitely not me, no way…) got a little nervous when we got a little cold and they closed it from 25 to 15 before the half.

Agreed. I thought Slappy would get another year earlier in the season bc of the heart surgery / school legend combo... butttt they are just embarrassing themselves now. The effort last night was bad bad. Have to think there are enough boosters at a place like Michigan to step up for a buyout
no way they put up with this.....with OSU ready to hire a new guy and Indiana possibly doing it, time is now

While I always chuckle at Howard's well earned moniker here, I found him oddly at peace during the entire game especially considering the pasting RU laid on them. It was almost as though he's emotionally checked out for the season.
He was the same at our game out there a few weeks ago. Almost like he's on some kind of sedative.

Reactions: Scangg and RW90
“the ones where you just unbuckle your top pants button lay back in your plastic seat at the RAC and enjoy without a care in the world.”

Brilliant wording Bac.

For once, we could relax - even if some of us (definitely not me, no way…) got a little nervous when we got a little cold and they closed it from 25 to 15 before the half.
lol..its true right lol

I don’t really think the Big Blue boosters care about hoops tbh, especially with football humming the way it is. Apparently Hunter Dickinson like 9K in NIL last year lol

• Wow
Waiting for 1sr recap where team played bad but coaching was good OR tram was great despite bad coaching

Want to give credit to Pike for rotations?
1. Going Oskar to the 5
2. Shortening the rotation

We needed a laughter in the worst way.
Reminds me of the above wins cited. Even Wisconsin this year, SHU a few years ago at home, the Wake Forest game last year.

Love Pike’s D and grind it out wins but it is also fun when the offense clicks and we just blow a power conference team by sheer scoring.

Not sure this wasn’t Cliff’s best game. JWill has awakened him. Want the season to go on as long as possible as seeing Cliff get better… and for him to come back next year. 🙏

I am not sure which play was better the laser pass from JWill to Cliff for the dunk or the loose ball which Cliff saw from the top of the key, everybody else looked like they were in slow motion, Cliff quicker than anybody else picked up the ball, drove to the basket and dunked. He doesn’t make that play earlier this season.

JWilliams looked fresher today and shots fell. Great game. Game looks easy when we make our layups.

Our scoring drought at the end of the first half was scary. Only negative of the day.

Noah has been very very good and deserves all kind of kudos for his shooting and giving us a shot in the arm when we sorely needed it. His three is pure. Hope we see more in the next four.

Have to give Noah and Gavin hugh props for their Court awareness. The ball comes to them. That’s to their credit! In limited minutes, Noah often the shortest guy on the court gets three rebounds. Gavin with even less minutes gets four rebounds. Just a nose for the ball and court presence. Can’t teach it.

I thought that three by Gavin was the most important three of his career. For the first time he didn’t rush it or force it. It was in the flow and just seemed naturally casual and relaxed in a good way and was so pure. A harbinger for next year hopefully.

JMike was solid all around and starting the game off with that mid range jumper was just what the doctor ordered. Thought one of his better games and is improving.

Hyatt unsung hero with his usually Jack of all trades pocket knife game. We will miss him. Just a solid player and like his rebounding and foul shooting. Wonder if he can play in Europe or Asia?

Oskar has become a valuable situational sub and giving us nice minutes.

30 point win so feels silly to criticize officiating but I still don’t think they were very good.

Now last but not least some of the ridiculous Simpson bashing which drives me absolutely nuts. Take away his minutes? I think many of you are certifiable.

We held Michigan to 52 points. No Mag. One of the primary reasons why is Simpson’s defense. Although only one steal yesterday his pressure, tips, deflections and general havoc on D should not be overlooked. RU fans love Mag for D, loved Mike Williams for D. Simpson deserves the same love.

Furthermore in another game of tremendous ball handling he went 29 minutes without a turnover. Last few games he has games of 0 turnovers, 0 turnovers and 1 turnover. He deserves our praise not R scorn.

Derek’s shooting is certainly fair commentary but thought shot selection was pretty good yesterday. Still think it will come around and all other intangibles like defense, hustle, motor, ball handling, foul shooting, no turnovers, justify his extensive minutes. Take away his minutes? No friggin way.

Fun to see Hayn score and Morales get some rebounds.

Would love to see us stay above .500 as much as possible and get the NIT for more games and practice. Any tourney prep will help for next year.

Beat Nebraska and Wisconsin with all the pressure on them and would love to put the nail in the coffin for Ohio State. Talk about payback and karma.

Go RU! Beat Nebraska.

Excellent review BAC!

Bac-

You are probably right about Howard, but I sincerely hope he stays at UM for a long time!

If Williams hits his next shot he will be 31%. I agree with you in principle but these percentages with 27 and 15 attempts are not that meaningful. That’s even true with Simpson to a degree but with him we’ve got two seasons and also all the two point bricks.
That Davis has only attempted 27 threes in 27 games is enough to tell me he's not a shooter. Williams' 26.7% this year also matches his career number in 101 attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT