ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 26 PURDUE : Flush it

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Started writing this a halftime. Sometimes you are just overmatched and that is okay Rutgers. To make matters worse RU had to travel to Mackey right after Purdue laid an egg at Ohio State, only their 3rd loss of the season. If you didnt think they were going to regroup you were fooling yourself. Purdue ran through their non conference schedule with wins over Arizona, Alabama, Tennessee, Marquette...4 schools in the top 12 seeding list. At their best which you saw tonight, they are the national championship favorites. I know they have slogged off at times and looked beatable and ordinary vs good but not great teams like Northwestern and Nebraska and stunning loss to Ohio State. They have their vulnerabilities for sure but they have the highest ceiling of any team in America. Rutgers came out juiced and aggressive on offense but ran into a buzzsaw. There was nothing Steve Pikiell could have done to prepare or tinker with during the game to change it. Once it was appparent that Purdue was in sync, it was pretty much time to get off the blow and flush this one. No point in dwelling over just 1 fg in last 11 minutes in first half or no fg in almost 7 or letting Purdue shoot 70%, That will not have any bearing on the next opponent.

Some positives to take tonight. I though Gavin Griffiths had himself a game. He looked more comfortable and he did it on a big stage. Kudos to Pike for giving him an opportunity. I loved how he ran the break. Its a total different wrinkle than we have been used to seeing. No Gavin isnt perfect and it wasnt even a breakout shooting game but little things to look for are important. Making free throws, making long 3s that had Mackey gasping, making passes you wouldnt normally see from him. . These are very very positive developments. Perhaps not differing to others anymore. Especially when it seemed like the starters looked like they were going through the motions once the lead got over 20.

Egbole had his moments too. Work in progress but you see there is something to work with. It is unfortunate that he could not develop in the early season because its trial by fire right now.

Noah making the most of his minutes....Had a quick 8 points including back to back 3s when RU was just down a possession. Good on him for picking up the slack of his teammates. You will get this all year though...he will be good in some games and ghostin in others.

Cliff/Hyatt/Derek were simply awful tonight. That is disappointing but not surprising. Tapes are out J Will now, the surprise factor is gone. He has changed the team for the better but he is not a superman. This team still has all the flaws we have seen all year and without Mag in the lineup they are magnified. Purdue was ripe to expose and exploit them. Again you see how lack of depth with bad luck in portal and subpar recruiting continues to be a theme.

As Im getting to this short recap, RU down by 33 and its been as ugly as a turd can be...and Robbie Hummel just stole my FLUSH IT lines..so documenting that.

Onward and upward......Rutgers definitely has things to play for. Take one game at a time. Return to the RAC against Maryland in a matchup that was favorable to Rutgers down there. Not going to be easy as Maryland is as good on the road as at home. There is a toughness they have that RU will have to match. The NCAA may be far out of reach (just wait til you see the dreadful NET tomorrow) but if RU can get back to how they played during their 4-0 start they could definitely do damage in the Big 10 tourney given the right kind of draw. NIT is well within reach and is probably more appropriate for the talent level on this team. If you are a Rutgers fan I would not get too upset tonight. Losing by 10 or losing by 40 does not change what this team is. Its how they respond to this game that is more important

Started writing this a halftime. Sometimes you are just overmatched and that is okay Rutgers. To make matters worse RU had to travel to Mackey right after Purdue laid an egg at Ohio State, only their 3rd loss of the season. If you didnt think they were going to regroup you were fooling yourself. Purdue ran through their non conference schedule with wins over Arizona, Alabama, Tennessee, Marquette...4 schools in the top 12 seeding list. At their best which you saw tonight, they are the national championship favorites. I know they have slogged off at times and looked beatable and ordinary vs good but not great teams like Northwestern and Nebraska and stunning loss to Ohio State. They have their vulnerabilities for sure but they have the highest ceiling of any team in America. Rutgers came out juiced and aggressive on offense but ran into a buzzsaw. There was nothing Steve Pikiell could have done to prepare or tinker with during the game to change it. Once it was appparent that Purdue was in sync, it was pretty much time to get off the blow and flush this one. No point in dwelling over just 1 fg in last 11 minutes in first half or no fg in almost 7 or letting Purdue shoot 70%, That will not have any bearing on the next opponent.

Some positives to take tonight. I though Gavin Griffiths had himself a game. He looked more comfortable and he did it on a big stage. Kudos to Pike for giving him an opportunity. I loved how he ran the break. Its a total different wrinkle than we have been used to seeing. No Gavin isnt perfect and it wasnt even a breakout shooting game but little things to look for are important. Making free throws, making long 3s that had Mackey gasping, making passes you wouldnt normally see from him. . These are very very positive developments. Perhaps not differing to others anymore. Especially when it seemed like the starters looked like they were going through the motions once the lead got over 20.

Egbole had his moments too. Work in progress but you see there is something to work with. It is unfortunate that he could not develop in the early season because its trial by fire right now.

Noah making the most of his minutes....Had a quick 8 points including back to back 3s when RU was just down a possession. Good on him for picking up the slack of his teammates. You will get this all year though...he will be good in some games and ghostin in others.

Cliff/Hyatt/Derek were simply awful tonight. That is disappointing but not surprising. Tapes are out J Will now, the surprise factor is gone. He has changed the team for the better but he is not a superman. This team still has all the flaws we have seen all year and without Mag in the lineup they are magnified. Purdue was ripe to expose and exploit them. Again you see how lack of depth with bad luck in portal and subpar recruiting continues to be a theme.

As Im getting to this short recap, RU down by 33 and its been as ugly as a turd can be...and Robbie Hummel just stole my FLUSH IT lines..so documenting that.

Onward and upward......Rutgers definitely has things to play for. Take one game at a time. Return to the RAC against Maryland in a matchup that was favorable to Rutgers down there. Not going to be easy as Maryland is as good on the road as at home. There is a toughness they have that RU will have to match. The NCAA may be far out of reach (just wait til you see the dreadful NET tomorrow) but if RU can get back to how they played during their 4-0 start they could definitely do damage in the Big 10 tourney given the right kind of draw. NIT is well within reach and is probably more appropriate for the talent level on this team. If you are a Rutgers fan I would not get too upset tonight. Losing by 10 or losing by 40 does not change what this team is. Its how they respond to this game that is more important
Yeah but like you posted earlier we need to now go 6-0 to get in. That’s a tough ask , even for a top 5 team. Not sure why you don’t realize that

I’ve never seen a team score almost every time down the floor like this. This felt like the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals.

The amount of offensive talent on Purdue in comparison to Rutgers is both awe inspiring and depressing.

I’ve never seen a team score almost every time down the floor like this. This felt like the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals.

The amount of offensive talent on Purdue in comparison to Rutgers is both awe inspiring and depressing.
well next year we might get a taste.....but look at our roster....I know whats going in next year but lets face it Pikes recruiting has been poor the past couple years

I’m usually pretty tempered I think, and we definitely ran into a buzz saw, but I think you’re being too nice.

Our defensive rotations and intensity were awful, their perimeter shooters had acres of space and we took a quadrillion contested middies. Just yuck

It's a snowball effect. Purdue jumping out to an early lead both allowed them to play loose and took away any defensive intensity we might have generated.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Sometimes you get an ass whipping and that's what that was. They were firing on all cylinders. Tip your cap and move on. I turned it off 2 minutes into the second half.

Focus on trying for the NIT, that would be a great goal for this squad.

Really disappointed in Simpson's effort. Come to expect these outings from Hyatt and occasionally Cliff, but Derek? Saw a couple defensive 'efforts' early second half that were shocking. Maybe he's sick or something and just couldn't bring it, idk.

Step in the right direction for Ogbole and Gavin at least.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I’m usually pretty tempered I think, and we definitely ran into a buzz saw, but I think you’re being too nice.

Our defensive rotations and intensity were awful, their perimeter shooters had acres of space and we took a quadrillion contested middies. Just yuck
once they started to make it was over, pace was too quick...yes it was 22-21 but we cant play that game...did it at Minny too.

alot of teams get blown out by 30 and come home and its like night and day..their response on Sunday will be more telling for the rest of the season than tonight

OK, let me have it. This staff is one of the worst in the league.
the mindy project water fight GIF by HULU

Really disappointed in Simpson's effort. Come to expect these outings from Hyatt and occasionally Cliff, but Derek? Saw a couple defensive 'efforts' early second half that were shocking. Maybe he's sick or something and just couldn't bring it, idk.

Step in the right direction for Ogbole and Gavin at least.
I think just think he is overmatched and forced to play a great role than he should. He is a 7th/8th man type. Thats on Pike

Good wrap up. Heart says 4-1 head says 2-3 down the stretch but one at a time. I’ll be there Sunday yelling like an idiot

Rutgers shot 17-20 for the line. Best back to back foul shooting games in RU history?

Gavin 6 rebounds, 3 assists, still think shots are just a foot too far. In right place. Still not strong enough. Don’t dribble behind the back on D after a rebound.

Ogbole showed potential and liked that he didn’t back down against best player in the country. Disappointing effort by Cliff but gun shy after foul calls.

Noah very good first half.
Oskar contributed.
Simpson shots were good shots but so off
JMike nice game shooting but 4 turnovers!

Anyone still want to mock me on Williams sneakers? He’s still slipping all over the place.

Awful officiating early. Didn’t matter but still.

Motivate RU for Maryland.

Reactions: BillyC80 and tm_nj
I wouldn‘t worry about the size of the loss. After Purdue’s bad loss, they were definitely coming to play today, and unfortunately it was against us.

I was more concerned that they were making the extra pass against us to find open shooters. Really hasn’t been their style in the past, but if the playbook for beating us is getting around and teams are adapting to attack our weaknesses, Pike is going to need to change things up and stop being so predictable.

Reactions: tm_nj and BillyC80
No one can keep anyone in front of them, so we're constantly helping allowing uncontested threes. We don't teach blocking out, or we do teach it and don't stress it. Whatever it is that we're running, it's not much of an offense. Our post players have developed no inside moves, nor can they pass out of the post. Our post entry passes aren't great either, and our recruiting has been abysmal for the last three years. We have a lot of players who just aren't good enough, and a staff that is coaching them as if they are complete players, and they are not. When you have limited talent you slow the game down, not speed it up. You play with more discipline on offense, not like an AAU team running up and down trying to put up shots quickly, what we did in practice and during the summer. This team is a mess and it's not the players' fault.

Last edited:
Really nice to see from both players. Ogbole is a foul drawing machine so if he can be a reliable FT shooter that would be very promising
I agree that’s going to be a massive part of his development going forward. He’s such an intimidating presence but he’s also so lost right now I’m not sure what to do with him. I think personally id keep him around as the 3rd big next year behind Cliff/transfer and Lathan to eventually be Lathan’s backup.

Reactions: BillyC80
I agree that’s going to be a massive part of his development going forward. He’s such an intimidating presence but he’s also so lost right now I’m not sure what to do with him. I think personally id keep him around as the 3rd big next year behind Cliff/transfer and Lathan to eventually be Lathan’s backup.
If Cliff doesn't return and Wolf leaves, it will be interesting to see what we can get in the portal at the 5

Lathan needs to play likely a sizable role, but he is a freshman... relying on a freshman big in the B1G for too big of a role is risky

Ogbole needs to play at least some to develop. You can't teach his combo of size, athleticism, and stength. He is still raw, but I think some are undervaluing how valuable his size and physical presence is for Pike. Rim protection, rebound, dunk. He is so new to the game, he has a chance to make real strides this off season. Remember he was injured this last off season so that hinders development

What kind of talent can we bring in? How much NIL do we have? What kind of role can we promise? Would we prioritize a starting caliber 5 over bringing in another position if money isn't limitless? Or would we spend that money elsewhere and bring in a capable backup type with the plan to play Lathan and Ogbole more?

I mentioned in one of the other Purdue threads after the 1st matchup at the RAC, when the topic of Mag came up....and he didn't play well in the 1st matchup and now has missed 2 of the last 3 games completely.....and looked somewhat OK playing for 15 to 18 minutes vs Minnesota.

I mentioned that "Purdue has 5 Mawot Mag type players".....before we get too worked up about Mag or not, is not the discussion. The discussion is about recruiting and how many players across the B1G, may or may not be viewed as "big time players"......I've attached the handful of Top 40 to Top 140 players Purdue has to go to, before discussing 3* players Zach Edey and Braden Smith.

Any of the players listed above, could start, play major roles or would be considered " go to", type of players, if they had expanded roles or responsibilities.

Going all the way back to the 2019 class for Purdue, Mason Gilles hovered around the Top 130 to 140 range with his rating....so fans tonight see a roster of kids at Purdue, that has layers of athletes or players, across 5 recruiting classes.

As a fan, if we want to say

A) RUs defense was exposed or prepared for....that's fine....

B) if you want to say it's "no Mawot Mag", you could try and say that, I guess....

C) if you wanted to say Simpson or Davis weren't good enough, that's no problem

D) If someone wants to think JWill has been "figured out", have at it, I think it's somewhat silly but not in a position to argue with it, after last night or even Minnesota the other night.

The point is, across 5 recruiting classes, Purdue has six forward or wing players who are all better than Mawot Mag.....

They're healthy, which is step one.....

They're more fluid players who are physically more talented.....

They're all capable shooters from 3 (which all have shown either tonight or in other games(.

They're all higher rated, which "could" matter, but it gives you a sense of the talent levels we are up against.

This is to say, that while Gavin Griffiths or Lathan Sommerville, or Bryce Dortch or Dylan Grant all fit this category of Top 150 players, we have to see if they develop into "starters", or if they just become "role players", like the Purdue group listed above.

If the Camden Heide kid from Purdue is around #117 in the Rivals 2022 class, we've now become willing to ask or assume that Mag as a player/Starter, is capable of playing consistently at this level. Right now, as a starter, we need someone with the floor, of a Heide, or a Gillis or someone who can shoot, drive, create from the wings.....

I have no doubt that if we get a legitimate 2 way wing and pair that player with Ace Bailey, RU becomes very different next year. It could look like the JWill impact over the 6 games he's played, just at a higher level or impact.

We have to be realistic about Mag at this point. I'm setting aside what happens or does for happen the rest of this season, which is NOT over.....RU is fully capable of winning out, if things fall into place.

On the other hand, we have to start to think about maybe starting Gavin Griffiths in these last 5 games and bringing Hyatt off the bench and Mag has to be considered at best, a game time decision the rest of the season.

Can any RU fan, still trust and believe that they are willing to start Mag in 2024-25 AND count on him to be healthy?? And is he the type of athlete that Purdue puts on the floor......Like I said, Purdue has FIVE or SIX Mawot Mag types.....and 4 of them are just flat out better players.

We have to upgrade that position for next year, whether it's with the 2 freshman in Dortch and Grant AND a portal bridge guy, to compliment Ace Bailey, Dylan Harper, JWill etc....

Fire away and I'm sure the "Mag is essential to the RU defense" will shoot this down, but does anyone really feel that Pike, Knight and staff, can't teach a better, more fluid athlete than Mag, how to play good defense??

We are already at a depth disadvantage but that gets fixed over a 3 year period with better HS recruiting....we need to upgrade from Mag, if we want to improve the rest of this season and into 2024-25......he's simply not good enough, or healthy enough to be relied upon.

No one likes the mid range jumpers from an analytics standpoint but he took mostly wide open 12-15 footers not deep deep 2's. He needs to be able to make those as a D1 B1G starting guard. Those aren't awful shots especially compared to shots we have seen him take
He shoots them at a low percentage all year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT