ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 19 Purdue: Can't ask for much more

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Speaking for most, getting your moneys worth out of this game was the best we could have hoped for vs #2 Purdue. We got that today. It sure did not seem like it in the first half. It was every bit as ugly as it looked. RU was fortunate to just be down 33-20 after an anemic 9-34 shooting performance while Purdue would be shooting at nearly a 50% clip. Truth is Rutgers has no business making this a game considering they missed 9 straight field goals and could only muster 7 points in nearly the first 11 minutes of the game while falling behind 21-7. A suprisingly stout defensive effort was negated by a brick laying machine on offense. Just because a shot looks good doesnt mean that they had to take them. RU did not work the necessary effort on offense settling for jumpers and 3s which played right into the Boilermakers hands. I commented at 21-7 that this team looked like dogshit and was not ready to compete. Hope they read the game thread because RU did go on a small 9-0 run over the course of 2 minutes to cut the gap to 21-16. Reality was it was mostly when Edey was out. Credit Purdue because they came right back and extended the lead while the RAC started to get loud. Still I felt RU showed some toughness even as the lead grew to 13 at half. RU was out rebounding so that was a little bright spot to look at.

Second half started out with Purdue looking like they were going to win this one comfortably extending the lead to 43-29. It was following the timeout at under 16 minutes that everything changed and we were reminded of what a special coach we have in Pikiell and what a special enviroment we have at the RAC. Over the next 8 minutes, the RAC would be rocking and rolling more than ever has this season causing a myriad of issues for Matt Painter's crew. For 8 minutes, RU thoroughly flummoxed the #2 team in the country outscoring them 18-7 holding them to just a sole Zak Edey field goal. For 8 minutes, the fans were treated to Rutgers' highest level of sustained play and those watching nationally got a taste of what Pikiell's teams have been made of over the year. RU was imposing their will and making Purdue the #2 team in the country uncomfortable. Purdue began to doubt themselves. The symbiotic relationship between the team and the RAC was suddenly back in play. Could things be setting up for another monumental upset to be scribed in the tablets in the bowels of the RAC. Alas it was not to be. Purdue would respond and repel the RAC crowd every seemingly every time RU would get it to one possession. In the aftermath of the loss, give Purdue credit. They have a history of folding when challenged late especially on the road. Purdue rose to the challenged, settled down and stepped up as a team converting on free throws and layups late to seal the deal. Purdue would hold RU to just 1 fg over the last 5 minutes of the game. No shame in Rutgers losing today. No knocking of the players for not getting it done. Rutgers was not supposed to win and they did not. They do not have the horses to be #2 right now but what they do have is an uncanny ability to hang in games where they are on the verge of being blown away and keep on relentlessly coming. Against Nebraska, they battled through two seperate 12 point defecits. Today it was two 14 point defecits. In the end, Rutgers doesnt have enough talent to overcome getting down so big to a #2 even in their spacecraft called the RAC.

Pikiell usually wins halftime but he was going to have to shake things up on the offensive end for RU to even keep pace. RU fans all know the trials and tribulations of Gavin Griffiths and his outright struggle in the past 7-8 games. So how fitting that today Gavin ignited the spark. Who knew that just making a 3 point shot can give so much confidence to a player. Gavin would hit all 3 of his made shots in the 2nd half, the last 3 cut was a bigtime playmaking shot cutting the defecit to just 55-53. Do not look at the final stat line of 3-11 fg. Gavin's leap forward today goes beyond that. Gavin was agressive in looking for shot. Gavin was comfortable. He was not panicked. He did some thing defensively that showed some toughness we have rarely seen. Pikiell must have been exasperated about the Gavin situation and it looks like he has been trying to tinker with him in practice to get things on track. Today was a needed step. Gavin is not a finished product by any means. Today had to happen for him. I am glad for Gavin and glad for Pikiell. Gavin grew up today vs the #2 team in the country.

Do not discount the guy handing out shots, Jamichael Davis. J Mike making the case that he should be the guy running the show from opening tip. J Mike had himself a game....4-5 fg, 9 points, 4 assists and 4 boards and just one turnover in 23 minutes. Davis was in on all 4 offensive conversions after that 16 minute timeout with 3 assists and a jumper himself. All of a sudden the lead was down to 5. Its pretty clear that J Mike even as a freshmen held his own and looked like could go tot toe with #2 team in the country. This is a signficant development that cannot be overlooked. The RU guards have been very inconsistent this season, yet J Mike when given more time has seemed the most consistent, the most comfortable and the most valuable. The Rutgers offense was most efficient in that stretch when he played the majority of his minutes. I sense he has a connection and comfort level with Gavin.

For third game in a row, Cliff brought major mojo. I have seen him cover Edey better than today but Edey is also better than he was previous years. Cliff stayed out of foul trouble and pulled down 6 boards. What I liked about Cliff today was two times today taken it right to and juking Edey out for buckets. 13 points, 5-10 fg. Another beaut was that dunk to cut the gap to 45-40 that had the RAC going nuts. Cliff left a few free throws short that RU really could have used in the end but really have to lean on the positives in this game. Now 3 game in row, might be safe to say Cliff is back to what we expect from him.

Its strange to say but I did not think anyone on RU played an A game today and that RU was in shouting distance of Purdue at the end was a credit to Coach Pikiell in prepping his team. He got them to rebound. RU won that battle 36-32 and a whopping 15-6 offensively and yeah RU missed a ton of shots but they got plenty of 2nd opportunities that kept them in the game. Hyatt was not good in the first half 1-5 fg but had some bigger shots in the 2nd on 4-7 fg. Quietly he once again wound up the leading scorer with 15 points on 5-12 fg shooting though only 2-9 from 3 and RU's only fg in the last 5 minutes of the game. Derek was Derek, some really bad misses but when they go in they look smooth. 4-10 fg, 3 assists, 2 turnover in 25 minutes. Yet Derek was not in the game for that large stretch where RU made its run nor in crunch time. Something to watch but I feel this is more of a game by game feel by Pike. Mag was just awful for the 2nd game in a row. Terrible shot selection in the first half going 0-5 fg, took the first shot of the 2nd half then played limited minutes the rest of the way logging in at 25 with just one frigging rebound! Do not know what is going on here. Perhaps a lingering injury from the Nebraska game but Mag has to step it up. Mag was giving 10-12 a night in some other games, now imagine if he played a A game rather than a D game. Austin Williams was saddled with foul trouble throughout getting a couple of baskets but a really costly foul with 3:27 left on a Loyer 3 with RU just down 3 was the turning point of the game as Loyer hit all 3 and the lead was 6 and it appeared as if Purdue was able to gather themselves again. Wolf was 0-3 fg but was overmatched by having to tackle Edey a few times yet still contributed with 6 boards, 3 of them on the offensive end in just 10 minutes. He is playing his role as long as he is limited to those minutes. Noah 17 minutes got more action in 2nd half but besides that 3 he made (just 1-4fg) I remain unimpressed. Oskar 6 minutes was not awful but this should be his limit especially with Gavin showing signs of awakening. The more I recap, the more I wonder, how the heck did RU scrap to make this game when their opponent shot 49%, was 19-24 on free throws and RU had so many players put up just so so numbers while collectively shooting only 37.5%. Pikiell must be doing something right.

So in the end, its still a loss but in a year where NCAA talk has mostly been extinguished, it felt good to be relevant nationally even if it was not to be. There are tons of things that Pikiell and his charges can take from the gametape as positives. Now they must build on this effort with the schedule easing up a bit. Is Penn State a must win? Well no not since post season seems to be out of reach (yes even the NIT) but if you are not beating Penn State at home then who are you beating. RU absolutely has to beat Penn State and Pike needs to continue showing some flexibility in his lineups and allowing as much time for J Mike, Gavin and Derek to be on the floor in key situations as they are the future. I will actually be surprised if RU does not get off to a hot start vs Penn State and I just have a sneaky feeling we will have one of those all things start to come together type of games. Does not mean the needle is moved much but what I think this team will do league wise...still 6 or 7 wins is my bet but I think there is opportunity to flex our muscles and start imposing our will earlier and more forcefully in some of these upcoming games.

sorry thats a foul, just a bad decision by Austin that had no bearing on the shot.

i thought we had a few critical mistakes and turnovers in those last 4-5 minutes that contributed to doing us in. Needed to play much better in those moments to pull out a win over such a veteran Purdue team

sorry thats a foul, just a bad decision by Austin that had no bearing on the shot.

i thought we had a few critical mistakes and turnovers in those last 4-5 minutes that contributed to doing us in. Needed to play much better in those moments to pull out a win over such a veteran Purdue team
Just watched it again and I agree with you. I
missed that one.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Speaking for most, getting your moneys worth out of this game was the best we could have hoped for vs #2 Purdue. We got that today. It sure did not seem like it in the first half. It was every bit as ugly as it looked. RU was fortunate to just be down 33-20 after an anemic 9-34 shooting performance while Purdue would be shooting at nearly a 50% clip. Truth is Rutgers has no business making this a game considering they missed 9 straight field goals and could only muster 7 points in nearly the first 11 minutes of the game while falling behind 21-7. A suprisingly stout defensive effort was negated by a brick laying machine on offense. Just because a shot looks good doesnt mean that they had to take them. RU did not work the necessary effort on offense settling for jumpers and 3s which played right into the Boilermakers hands. I commented at 21-7 that this team looked like dogshit and was not ready to compete. Hope they read the game thread because RU did go on a small 9-0 run over the course of 2 minutes to cut the gap to 21-16. Reality was it was mostly when Edey was out. Credit Purdue because they came right back and extended the lead while the RAC started to get loud. Still I felt RU showed some toughness even as the lead grew to 13 at half. RU was out rebounding so that was a little bright spot to look at.

Second half started out with Purdue looking like they were going to win this one comfortably extending the lead to 43-29. It was following the timeout at under 16 minutes that everything changed and we were reminded of what a special coach we have in Pikiell and what a special enviroment we have at the RAC. Over the next 8 minutes, the RAC would be rocking and rolling more than ever has this season causing a myriad of issues for Matt Painter's crew. For 8 minutes, RU thoroughly flummoxed the #2 team in the country outscoring them 18-7 holding them to just a sole Zak Edey field goal. For 8 minutes, the fans were treated to Rutgers' highest level of sustained play and those watching nationally got a taste of what Pikiell's teams have been made of over the year. RU was imposing their will and making Purdue the #2 team in the country uncomfortable. Purdue began to doubt themselves. The symbiotic relationship between the team and the RAC was suddenly back in play. Could things be setting up for another monumental upset to be scribed in the tablets in the bowels of the RAC. Alas it was not to be. Purdue would respond and repel the RAC crowd every seemingly every time RU would get it to one possession. In the aftermath of the loss, give Purdue credit. They have a history of folding when challenged late especially on the road. Purdue rose to the challenged, settled down and stepped up as a team converting on free throws and layups late to seal the deal. Purdue would hold RU to just 1 fg over the last 5 minutes of the game. No shame in Rutgers losing today. No knocking of the players for not getting it done. Rutgers was not supposed to win and they did not. They do not have the horses to be #2 right now but what they do have is an uncanny ability to hang in games where they are on the verge of being blown away and keep on relentlessly coming. Against Nebraska, they battled through two seperate 12 point defecits. Today it was two 14 point defecits. In the end, Rutgers doesnt have enough talent to overcome getting down so big to a #2 even in their spacecraft called the RAC.

Pikiell usually wins halftime but he was going to have to shake things up on the offensive end for RU to even keep pace. RU fans all know the trials and tribulations of Gavin Griffiths and his outright struggle in the past 7-8 games. So how fitting that today Gavin ignited the spark. Who knew that just making a 3 point shot can give so much confidence to a player. Gavin would hit all 3 of his made shots in the 2nd half, the last 3 cut was a bigtime playmaking shot cutting the defecit to just 55-53. Do not look at the final stat line of 3-11 fg. Gavin's leap forward today goes beyond that. Gavin was agressive in looking for shot. Gavin was comfortable. He was not panicked. He did some thing defensively that showed some toughness we have rarely seen. Pikiell must have been exasperated about the Gavin situation and it looks like he has been trying to tinker with him in practice to get things on track. Today was a needed step. Gavin is not a finished product by any means. Today had to happen for him. I am glad for Gavin and glad for Pikiell. Gavin grew up today vs the #2 team in the country.

Do not discount the guy handing out shots, Jamichael Davis. J Mike making the case that he should be the guy running the show from opening tip. J Mike had himself a game....4-5 fg, 9 points, 4 assists and 4 boards and just one turnover in 23 minutes. Davis was in on all 4 offensive conversions after that 16 minute timeout with 3 assists and a jumper himself. All of a sudden the lead was down to 5. Its pretty clear that J Mike even as a freshmen held his own and looked like could go tot toe with #2 team in the country. This is a signficant development that cannot be overlooked. The RU guards have been very inconsistent this season, yet J Mike when given more time has seemed the most consistent, the most comfortable and the most valuable. The Rutgers offense was most efficient in that stretch when he played the majority of his minutes. I sense he has a connection and comfort level with Gavin.

For third game in a row, Cliff brought major mojo. I have seen him cover Edey better than today but Edey is also better than he was previous years. Cliff stayed out of foul trouble and pulled down 6 boards. What I liked about Cliff today was two times today taken it right to and juking Edey out for buckets. 13 points, 5-10 fg. Another beaut was that dunk to cut the gap to 45-40 that had the RAC going nuts. Cliff left a few free throws short that RU really could have used in the end but really have to lean on the positives in this game. Now 3 game in row, might be safe to say Cliff is back to what we expect from him.

Its strange to say but I did not think anyone on RU played an A game today and that RU was in shouting distance of Purdue at the end was a credit to Coach Pikiell in prepping his team. He got them to rebound. RU won that battle 36-32 and a whopping 15-6 offensively and yeah RU missed a ton of shots but they got plenty of 2nd opportunities that kept them in the game. Hyatt was not good in the first half 1-5 fg but had some bigger shots in the 2nd on 4-7 fg. Quietly he once again wound up the leading scorer with 15 points on 5-12 fg shooting though only 2-9 from 3 and RU's only fg in the last 5 minutes of the game. Derek was Derek, some really bad misses but when they go in they look smooth. 4-10 fg, 3 assists, 2 turnover in 25 minutes. Yet Derek was not in the game for that large stretch where RU made its run nor in crunch time. Something to watch but I feel this is more of a game by game feel by Pike. Mag was just awful for the 2nd game in a row. Terrible shot selection in the first half going 0-5 fg, took the first shot of the 2nd half then played limited minutes the rest of the way logging in at 25 with just one frigging rebound! Do not know what is going on here. Perhaps a lingering injury from the Nebraska game but Mag has to step it up. Mag was giving 10-12 a night in some other games, now imagine if he played a A game rather than a D game. Austin Williams was saddled with foul trouble throughout getting a couple of baskets but a really costly foul with 3:27 left on a Loyer 3 with RU just down 3 was the turning point of the game as Loyer hit all 3 and the lead was 6 and it appeared as if Purdue was able to gather themselves again. Wolf was 0-3 fg but was overmatched by having to tackle Edey a few times yet still contributed with 6 boards, 3 of them on the offensive end in just 10 minutes. He is playing his role as long as he is limited to those minutes. Noah 17 minutes got more action in 2nd half but besides that 3 he made (just 1-4fg) I remain unimpressed. Oskar 6 minutes was not awful but this should be his limit especially with Gavin showing signs of awakening. The more I recap, the more I wonder, how the heck did RU scrap to make this game when their opponent shot 49%, was 19-24 on free throws and RU had so many players put up just so so numbers while collectively shooting only 37.5%. Pikiell must be doing something right.

So in the end, its still a loss but in a year where NCAA talk has mostly been extinguished, it felt good to be relevant nationally even if it was not to be. There are tons of things that Pikiell and his charges can take from the gametape as positives. Now they must build on this effort with the schedule easing up a bit. Is Penn State a must win? Well no not since post season seems to be out of reach (yes even the NIT) but if you are not beating Penn State at home then who are you beating. RU absolutely has to beat Penn State and Pike needs to continue showing some flexibility in his lineups and allowing as much time for J Mike, Gavin and Derek to be on the floor in key situations as they are the future. I will actually be surprised if RU does not get off to a hot start vs Penn State and I just have a sneaky feeling we will have one of those all things start to come together type of games. Does not mean the needle is moved much but what I think this team will do league wise...still 6 or 7 wins is my bet but I think there is opportunity to flex our muscles and start imposing our will earlier and more forcefully in some of these upcoming games.
Great report big guy. Always enjoy completing a chapter of yours post-game.

It was a sloppy close out by AWill, and it was absolutely a foul. He needs to be more under control there.

Good recap as usual, bac. But I particularly liked the incisiveness of the recap in a close loss. There were many storylines here that you captured.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I agree with Bac's recaps. He's usually spot on.

A couple of things -

1. Williams has to be better than that as a 6th (or maybe 7th year player) to not foul Lawyer with the shot clock running down while already having 4 fouls himself. I knew Lawyer would hit all 3 free throws and that was going to be too big of a hurdle to overcome at that point in the game.

2. Thought Woolfolk had a really nice game. He held his own on the glass and really battled.

3. Hyatt has to be much smarter with the ball under his own basket. It was nice to see him have a much better second half.

4. Really liked J-Mike's game today.

5. Big step forward for Griffiths. He needs to build on this and hopefully Pike will give him significant playing time against PSU.

6. How many walks were not called on Edey?

7. As Bac said, no shame in the loss today as the effort was definitely there. Hopefully the intensity will continue and the shots will fall a little bit more on Wednesday.

It was a sloppy close out by AWill, and it was absolutely a foul. He needs to be more under control there.

Good recap as usual, bac. But I particularly liked the incisiveness of the recap in a close loss. There were many storylines here that you captured.
That was your turning point of the game on 2 fronts
1. 3 points
2. Awill fouls out

Reactions: RUDiddy777
bac- great recap.Its rather amazing that Purdue only scored 68 points which is 17 points below their average.If Rutgers just made four more baskets in the first half,there might have been another storming of the court with another upset win over Purdue.

Reality ,however,was seen with Edey or Smith making baskets or foul shots every time Rutgers got within four points.The talent disparity was simply too much to overcome.I did like the all around performance of Davis .He doesn't seem to be afraid of the bright lights.Griffiths excited fans with a couple of 3 pointers and his composure on the court.
Simpson can create shots off the dribble but misses far too many .Cliff held his own with Edey except for the disparity in made foul shots.Hyatt scored 15 points but was missing in action during the first half scoring droughts.Mag failure to score a point surely impacted the final result.

With a 10-9 record there is no longer any margin for error .Achieving a winning record will probably require winning every remaining home game.

Its always exciting being at the RAC when a highly rated team is the opponent.

Will be interesting to see how Purdue plays next year - don’t think they have another 8 footer to play center next year.

JMike did not make the case to be leading the team. For all you Simpson bashers, as well as JMike played, he had a mere one more assist, one more point and one more rebound than Simpson. So if JMike had quite a game than Simpson did too. Fair is fair. SMH.

J Mikes last two games before today, he went 26 minutes and 21 minutes with absolutely no assists. He played very well today but he has not been more consistent nor has he been most valuable. He’s the most inconsistent player on the team. SMH at the odd bias.

No mention at all of Hyatt who quietly has a great all around game and was leading scorer?

19-25 v. 8-13 at the line. 11 point differential and Purdue had double the attempts. As important a factor as any in an 8 point game. Some posters refused to acknowledge. SMH.

We are the only home team with such a rabid crowd that never gets advantage of calls at home and gets killed on road. First half was especially galling.

Edey gets benefit of three seconds and steps that other players do not get. He also fouls as leads with his body/shoulder not only his elbows.

Thought Cliff played him very well and better than most. Cliff stayed out of foul trouble too. Woolfolk rebounds were nice. I think we played Edey as well as anybody.

Nice game by Cliff, if he hits a few more foul shots. Alas.

Mag not showing up again is a huge problem. Twice in last few games.

Oskar bashing is odd. He bangs around. Had a rebound. More rebounds than Mag who had a 0 - O -0 stat line in the first half.

Pike has to correct the slow starts. Happens way too often. To his credit great half time adjustments and we usually make a run and never gives up. But still. Would like a laughter once in a while.

Gavin showed the potential we all know he had. Good times are coming. Loved the play coming out of the time out. He almost broke Morton’s ankles twice.

Purdue averages almost 86 per game. We held them to 68. To all those who don’t think we play elite defensively, you’re wrong.

Thought the JWilliams three point foul was a killer and turning point. A bad Hyatt turnover after a nice rebound under our own basket hurt us as well. Both big momentum shifts.

We have to carry playing this well through February. Beat PSU! There’s hope. Want momentum for next year. Derek, Gavin and JMac should get minutes but can’t give up on others either. Thought Pike worked guards well today and wisely stuck with hot hand JMike today.

RAC was amazing.

Last edited:
That one was a bad call but a clever play by loyer. AW did not touch him other than the hip after loyer leaned into him and flopped. Clever play and the ref fell for it.
I actually agree with that. But you can't let your close out look like that for just that reason

Reactions: Scangg and JPWRU
JMike did not make the case to be leading the team. For all you Simpson bashers, as well as JMike played, he had a mere one more assist, one more point and one more rebound than Simpson. So if JMike had quite a game than Simpson did too. Fair is fair. SMH.

J Mikes last two games before today, he went 26 minutes and 21 minutes with absolutely no assists. He played very well today but he has not been more consistent nor has he been most valuable. He’s the most inconsistent player on the team. SMH at the odd bias.

No mention at all of Hyatt who quietly has a great all around game and was leading scorer?

19-25 v. 8-13 at the line. 11 point differential and Purdue had double the attempts. As important a factor as any in an 8 point game. Some posters refused to acknowledge. SMH.

We are the only home team with such a rabid crowd that never gets advantage of calls at home and gets killed on road. First half was especially galling.

Edey gets benefit of three seconds and steps that other players do not get. He also fouls as leads with his body/shoulder not only his elbows.

Thought Cliff played him very well and better than most. Cliff stayed out of foul trouble too. Woolfolk rebounds were nice. I think we played Edey as well as anybody.

Oskar bashing is odd. He bangs around. Had a rebound. More rebounds than Mag who had a 0 - O -0 stat line in the first half.

Pike has to correct the slow starts. Happens way too often. To his credit great half time adjustments and we usually make a run and never gives up. But still. Would like a laughter once in a while.

Gavin showed the potential we all know he had. Good times are coming. Loved the play coming out of the time out. He almost broke Morton’s ankles twice.

Purdue averages almost 86 per game. We held them to 68. To all those who don’t think we play elite defensively, you’re wrong.

Thought the JWilliams three point foul was a killer and turning point. A bad Hyatt turnover after a nice rebound under our own basket hurt us as well. Both big momentum shifts.

We have to carry playing this well through February. Beat PSU! There’s hope. Want momentum for next year. Derek, Gavin and JMac should get minutes but can’t give up on others either. Thought Pike worked guards well today and wisely stuck with hot hand JMike today.

RAC was amazing.
Simpson's three assists:

7:10 1H: Inbound pass to Hyatt who hits a three. This was a designed play out of a media timeout that caused a Purdue defensive miscommunication.

17:09 2H: Simpson takes it up the court, dribbles a bit, swings to Hyatt for a 3. Not a gamebreaking play but a good one. He was keeping his head up and put the ball on time and in a good spot for Hyatt to launch quickly. Credit Simpson here.

5:19 2H: Another baseline out of bounds play. This time it's Griffiths coming off a screen to hit the baseline jumper.

Davis' four assists:

15:14 2H: Davis off a dribble handoff continues to the top of the key, reads the Cliff screen for Gavin to come up and passes to him for a three pointer.

14:42 2H: He beats Lance Jones on a baseline drive and draws enough of Edey's attention to free Cliff up for a pass, which he receives and gets it around Edey for the bucket.

13:42 2H: Exactly the same as Simpson's third assist, just from the other side of the floor. He inbounded to Griffiths coming off a screen for a baseline jumper.

10:49 2H: This was credited to Davis but Omoruyi made the pass to Hyatt who then drove and scored. Don't think any assist should have been credited on this and certainly not to Davis.

Neither of them was particularly impressive as a facilitator. Two of Simpson's three were BLOBs. One of Davis' was. Each had one that came from swinging the ball around the perimeter. Only Davis' baseline drive bounce pass to Cliff was anything impressive.

I really hope our November 2024 primary point guard is not currently on the roster (I am assuming Dylan at the 2).

They are all good, but this is one of the best recaps of the season Bac.

Great effort today ! It’s never good to lose but our effort in 2nd half and near comeback was exciting !

We have to stop falling behind by double digits every game in the first half. It’s impossible for a team that is challenged offensively to battle back every game.

Play of JMike / Cliff/ Gavin / Wolf and Hyatt was very encouraging!

Mags play as of late is very disappointing. He’s not even doing the dirty work. No boards today ! A nothing across the board !

Foul on Loyer was the killer !

Hopefully we bring same intensity Vs Penn State.

Simpson's three assists:

7:10 1H: Inbound pass to Hyatt who hits a three. This was a designed play out of a media timeout that caused a Purdue defensive miscommunication.

17:09 2H: Simpson takes it up the court, dribbles a bit, swings to Hyatt for a 3. Not a gamebreaking play but a good one. He was keeping his head up and put the ball on time and in a good spot for Hyatt to launch quickly. Credit Simpson here.

5:19 2H: Another baseline out of bounds play. This time it's Griffiths coming off a screen to hit the baseline jumper.

Davis' four assists:

15:14 2H: Davis off a dribble handoff continues to the top of the key, reads the Cliff screen for Gavin to come up and passes to him for a three pointer.

14:42 2H: He beats Lance Jones on a baseline drive and draws enough of Edey's attention to free Cliff up for a pass, which he receives and gets it around Edey for the bucket.

13:42 2H: Exactly the same as Simpson's third assist, just from the other side of the floor. He inbounded to Griffiths coming off a screen for a baseline jumper.

10:49 2H: This was credited to Davis but Omoruyi made the pass to Hyatt who then drove and scored. Don't think any assist should have been credited on this and certainly not to Davis.

Neither of them was particularly impressive as a facilitator. Two of Simpson's three were BLOBs. One of Davis' was. Each had one that came from swinging the ball around the perimeter. Only Davis' baseline drive bounce pass to Cliff was anything impressive.

I really hope our November 2024 primary point guard is not currently on the roster (I am assuming Dylan at the 2).
Certainly a well respected poster should not be posting that a player made the case that he should be running the offense from opening tip? He had his best game but when all is said and done he had One more assist, one more point and one more rebound than the other player. So other player had a pretty good game too then? And you’re giving one player the keys to the car? What?

Same well respected poster has said same player has been most consistent, most valuable and most comfortable? Same player went over 45 minutes the last two games with NO assists and he’s now most consistent, valuable and most comfortable In what world?

You wonder why other posters react??
Best post of year?
Hmmmmmm. Bias of the year?

Last edited:

Thought the one he had on Edey in the first half was also really sloppy.

Certainly a well respected poster should not be posting that a player made the case that he should be running the offense from opening tip? He had his best game but when all is said and done he had One more assist, one more point and one more rebound than the other player. So other player had a pretty good game too then? And you’re giving one player the keys to the car? What?

Same well respected poster has said same player has been most consistent, most valuable and most comfortable? Same player went over 45 minutes the last two games with NO assists and he’s now most consistent, valuable and most comfortable In what world?

Best post of year?
I don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: fluoxetine

Liked most of the recap except your very brief mention of the ugly first half. You seem to give Pike a pass. As much as I love Pike , he is not getting a pass . They had a week off . What shooting drills did they practice ? What new sets did they run ? Against Michigan State he ran new sets that worked for 4 backdoor layups. Where were those sets ? The game was easily there for the taking if they only showed up for the first 20 minutes. Having 6 points in the first 10 minutes is totally horrendous in college basketball today . We were controlling Edey and although Willis went off for his only 8 points of the game , everybody else was under control. Not getting good shots , missing good shots , missing bad shots , lack of ball movement and too much dribbling instead of passing from the guards reared its ugly head . This game was lost in the first half . Even more frustrating was the ball movement and attack was there in the second half but although we got it to 2 on 2 occasions and to 3 , we couldn’t get over the hump despite playing a hard really good second half. That is what leaves me so frustrated.

The best sign today was Gavin was aggressive and active , moving without the ball , attacking the offensive glass, driving hard , helping on defense and do all the other basketball plays that do not show up on a stat sheet. Pike had set that out of bounds play to him previously but he airballed it previously. Hitting that 3 just before gave him to hit the 2 on the same out of bounds set. His confidence was at the highest point of the year. It was good to see and he missed the next out of bounds shot for a 3 that went in and out but another good shot and kept his confidence up . He shortarmed a 10 footer and was blocked at the rim on an aggressive offense rebound and shot by Edey but still nice aggression. He missed that 3 from the top of the key off that double screen that might have gotten us over the top but it was a play with good offense run that was hopeful for the rest of the year and his future
Now Mag struggling hurt but his lack of offensive rebounding hurt worse. We took 19 more shots than Purdue and our shooting for most f the game left a lot of offensive rebounds to be had and although his shot did not go down , his not going to the glass especially that first half hurt us. I hope he is okay with his knee. We have needed him and sorely missed his production today.

Winnable game that we let slip by.

Liked most of the recap except your very brief mention of the ugly first half. You seem to give Pike a pass. As much as I love Pike , he is not getting a pass . They had a week off . What shooting drills did they practice ? What new sets did they run ? Against Michigan State he ran new sets that worked for 4 backdoor layups. Where were those sets ? The game was easily there for the taking if they only showed up for the first 20 minutes. Having 6 points in the first 10 minutes is totally horrendous in college basketball today . We were controlling Edey and although Willis went off for his only 8 points of the game , everybody else was under control. Not getting good shots , missing good shots , missing bad shots , lack of ball movement and too much dribbling instead of passing from the guards reared its ugly head . This game was lost in the first half . Even more frustrating was the ball movement and attack was there in the second half but although we got it to 2 on 2 occasions and to 3 , we couldn’t get over the hump despite playing a hard really good second half. That is what leaves me so frustrated.

The best sign today was Gavin was aggressive and active , moving without the ball , attacking the offensive glass, driving hard , helping on defense and do all the other basketball plays that do not show up on a stat sheet. Pike had set that out of bounds play to him previously but he airballed it previously. Hitting that 3 just before gave him to hit the 2 on the same out of bounds set. His confidence was at the highest point of the year. It was good to see and he missed the next out of bounds shot for a 3 that went in and out but another good shot and kept his confidence up . He shortarmed a 10 footer and was blocked at the rim on an aggressive offense rebound and shot by Edey but still nice aggression. He missed that 3 from the top of the key off that double screen that might have gotten us over the top but it was a play with good offense run that was hopeful for the rest of the year and his future
Now Mag struggling hurt but his lack of offensive rebounding hurt worse. We took 19 more shots than Purdue and our shooting for most f the game left a lot of offensive rebounds to be had and although his shot did not go down , his not going to the glass especially that first half hurt us. I hope he is okay with his knee. We have needed him and sorely missed his production today.

Winnable game that we let slip by.
oh I hear you on that first half. Did not want to dwell on it but it was much of the same bad basketball we have seen from this team. Its on Pike because its the same awful offense where its basically guards popping mid range shots or from the 3 point line instead of actually being committed to work for better shots. Disappointing halves for sure by Hyatt, Derek, and Mag. I get why they take the shots but IMO they just are not good enough to carry the team. Hyatt quietly gets 15 again and we need every bit of that but he tends to only have one good half and unfortunately I think he is a spot to be the #1 guy when he is really a 6th or 7th man. Mag just off totally yesterday and those are too many shots. It was fools gold that he had been producing 6-12 fg games prior. I just think its too many shots to rely on a guy like that for offense..its being forced. Hopefully now Gavin starts to gain confidence and we get him the ball more.

oh I hear you on that first half. Did not want to dwell on it but it was much of the same bad basketball we have seen from this team. Its on Pike because its the same awful offense where its basically guards popping mid range shots or from the 3 point line instead of actually being committed to work for better shots. Disappointing halves for sure by Hyatt, Derek, and Mag. I get why they take the shots but IMO they just are not good enough to carry the team. Hyatt quietly gets 15 again and we need every bit of that but he tends to only have one good half and unfortunately I think he is a spot to be the #1 guy when he is really a 6th or 7th man. Mag just off totally yesterday and those are too many shots. It was fools gold that he had been producing 6-12 fg games prior. I just think its too many shots to rely on a guy like that for offense..its being forced. Hopefully now Gavin starts to gain confidence and we get him the ball more.
The lack of consistency of this year’s players is the worst of the Pike era. Cliff doing nothing for 3-4 games. Derek bring up and down , JMike up and down. , Gavin mostly down , Hyatt the most consistent one but showing up for 13 points never putting 2 halves together to give us a 25 point game , Mag starting strong once he comes back and zero last 2 games ; Noah being invisible for all games except 3; Austin trying hard but not giving you enough for a grad transfer. Wolf lacking on the boards and not enough offense or making layups.
It is safe to say the entire team has underperformed any expectations or even a modicum of improvement as they get older. Pike has had to deal with it all but his blatant automatic subbing regardless of what is happening on the court , pulling a hot player after he makes a couple baskets or good plays and weird timeouts has not helped this team one iota. Most good teams play their starters or better players 32-35 minutes if no foul trouble. Pulling Cliff or Hyatt randomly is not a recipe for success. Having both Hyatt and Gavin on the floor together can be a tremendous advantage offensively if used properly by the guards and they do not need to be subbed out for one another. Surprising but Pike has not gotten a handle of his team 19 games in. Most of that is the players’ inconsistently and some of that is his stubbornness . A quick self scout should be done and implemented for these next 12 games in the regular season.

To Pike’s credit they have been locked in defensively. Play hard every game and have mounted a comeback every game. When 2/5 of your starting lineup leaves so late and no chance to replace…. NCAA drags their feet on one player. Taking a chance on another injuries

Maybe his greatest coaching job considering no pure shooters and no real offense.
Just held potential Final Four team Purdue to 18 points under their average.
Willed teams to wins over Neb, Indy, SHU.

Sometimes substitution patterns are wacky but if no one excelling gotta try or hope for a hot hand.

Great recap as usual, fair and honest. Think the couple biggest takeaways for me are as follows:
- Gavin for the first time since probably the Seton Hall game looked comfortable and in control playing the game of basketball against a P5 opponent. Stat line is what it is but a couple of those misses were I believe put backs that were contested but he was active, he got on the glass and just really looked like the kid we think he will be when all is said and done. More importantly upon checking out late in the 2H, the kid had a smile on his face and left the court feeling good about himself.
- Cliff another strong game. Loved him driving on Edey. Also liked that he didnt settle for the foul line jumper too much which could happen with Edey and drop coverage.
- Hyatt continues to go about his business. Stat line said 5-13 but last couple shots were in the closing seconds where he heaved up some 3s. I agree his first half shot selection on 1 or 2 were rushed, but 2nd half he remembered that he actually can drive and finish and needs to mix that in and not just shoot jumpers. Really have liked his progression during his time here.

Got all we could have asked for minus the W today and on national TV. Onto a stretch where hopefully we can put some wins together and build off this.

Reactions: bac2therac

RAC was amazing.
I don't like your tone but I agree with most of this. Given the choice between JMike or Simpson, I still lean toward Simpson. But both have work to do.

Best post of year?

I don’t think it’s a bias. Simpson is a high volume, iso style player. Unfortunately - not a very efficient one as of right now. And wasn’t efficient over his frosh season either. I’d love to see him distribute the way he did in the Nebraska and OSU games consistently but there’s enough of a sample out there now to think those games were probably the exceptions and not the rules.

On the other hand, Davis is a frosh. It’s reasonable to overlook frosh jitters in the first few games of the season. Davis started the season 3-19 over the first 3 games (and 0-4 from 3). Since then (over the next 15 games) he’s shot a respectable 41.3% from the field (33.3% from three albeit a small sample size). So far you are right, he hasn’t done anything spectacular to differentiate himself from Simpson as a distributor but I see them as about equal in this area. Davis has more potential as a defender in my opinion. Simpson maybe a more controlled ball handler.

Reactions: Scangg
There's literally only one problem to me right now with the RU program......and it's starting the wrong players or having the wrong players in the starting lineup.

RU is now developing an ugly and annoying amount of coaching malpractice.....you simply cannot as a staff, continue to trot out Mag, and Austin Williams AND also ask Cliff to be a go to scorer and rebounder and stopper, with just 1 player (Simpson) who can create their own offense if the defense breaks down.

But, we were told, Mag returning, would be the elixir, the missing piece, the focal point that would help RU, jump up a next level. That happened against Seton Hall and there have been 4 or 5 games where Mag had at least 15+ points.

Now we're trending back to "needing points".....but we're playing with fire, because as much as fans love Mag, he simply doesn't score OR shouldn't be asked or relied upon to score at all. He is a glue guy and defense 1st player. We asked Caleb to do the dirty work as a defender, but starting 2 defense 1st guys, without help, isn't working.

That leaves Mag and Austin Williams, who kinda play the same way.....good defense, usually in the right spot....finds a rebound.....but not or shouldn't be asked to score.

Pike needs to start Gavin Griffiths next to Simpson......OR start Griffiths and Davis together.....or start Griffiths over Mag and leave the backcourt intact.....

If we can find points in the 1st 8 to 10 minutes of the game, I think RU changes the course of the season. You can't consistently fall behind by 8, 12, 14 points, rally to close gaps down to 2, 3 or 5 points and ask the team to overcome and mask so many mistakes.

Hit a couple of 3s early in the game and get the crowd started.....and then play good defense. It's gotta require Mag to score (which isn't reality based) or start Gavin over Austin or Mag, so we can find points to start games or the 1st 4 to 5 minutes of 2nd half.

How many B1G games can one team win, if you're asking that same team to trail by 10+ points, every night. You can do it at PSU last year, down 21 in the 2nd half, but it requires PSU shooting poorly, to allow RU back into the game.

The staff must pull the plug on Austin Williams starting or Mag starting, or a 4-16 to 5-15 B1G schedule, is reality......how many B1G road games will RU win this year, if they're down 10+ in the 1st 8 to 12 minutes???

My answer is ZERO......

P
is it bad basketball in the first half …or that we didn’t make shots ?

Bac….There have been times were it was bad baskwtball, but yesterday, it was more that we just didn’t make first half shots and in the sexond half, we hit them

In the other thread discussing the value of blocked shots this is exactly what I was talking about.

How many "attempted blocks" end up with negative impacts? Either specifically a foul or putting someone out of position for a rebound.

Did Williams really think he would actually block the shot?

Reactions: BillyC80
There's literally only one problem to me right now with the RU program......and it's starting the wrong players or having the wrong players in the starting lineup.

RU is now developing an ugly and annoying amount of coaching malpractice.....you simply cannot as a staff, continue to trot out Mag, and Austin Williams AND also ask Cliff to be a go to scorer and rebounder and stopper, with just 1 player (Simpson) who can create their own offense if the defense breaks down.

But, we were told, Mag returning, would be the elixir, the missing piece, the focal point that would help RU, jump up a next level. That happened against Seton Hall and there have been 4 or 5 games where Mag had at least 15+ points.

Now we're trending back to "needing points".....but we're playing with fire, because as much as fans love Mag, he simply doesn't score OR shouldn't be asked or relied upon to score at all. He is a glue guy and defense 1st player. We asked Caleb to do the dirty work as a defender, but starting 2 defense 1st guys, without help, isn't working.

That leaves Mag and Austin Williams, who kinda play the same way.....good defense, usually in the right spot....finds a rebound.....but not or shouldn't be asked to score.

Pike needs to start Gavin Griffiths next to Simpson......OR start Griffiths and Davis together.....or start Griffiths over Mag and leave the backcourt intact.....

If we can find points in the 1st 8 to 10 minutes of the game, I think RU changes the course of the season. You can't consistently fall behind by 8, 12, 14 points, rally to close gaps down to 2, 3 or 5 points and ask the team to overcome and mask so many mistakes.

Hit a couple of 3s early in the game and get the crowd started.....and then play good defense. It's gotta require Mag to score (which isn't reality based) or start Gavin over Austin or Mag, so we can find points to start games or the 1st 4 to 5 minutes of 2nd half.

How many B1G games can one team win, if you're asking that same team to trail by 10+ points, every night. You can do it at PSU last year, down 21 in the 2nd half, but it requires PSU shooting poorly, to allow RU back into the game.

The staff must pull the plug on Austin Williams starting or Mag starting, or a 4-16 to 5-15 B1G schedule, is reality......how many B1G road games will RU win this year, if they're down 10+ in the 1st 8 to 12 minutes???

My answer is ZERO......
50% of the game is defense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT