ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 23 WISCONSIN: Rabid

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Something something rabid. The Middlesex County Department of Health just sent out a health alert saying anyone who attended today's game may have or may have been exposed to rabies. A saliva test of the RU players confirmed it. Rutgers was showing signs of ferocious defense, raging 3 point shooting, relentless unsympathetic attacks, and by the end you could almost seem them "bubbling" at the mouth. Wild thing you make my heart sing. RU played as mad as a badger. For fans being rabid is defined as having or proceeding from an extreme fanatical support or belief in something, sure sounds like Rutgers fans were exposed to a bludgeoning. They took aggressive relentless bites at the Badgers. First at their bodies, then at their minds. Wisconsin was knocked on their heels. Wounded but still alive. Rutgers could smell it and so could the cage known as the RAC. In the 2nd half, with a bunch of crazed onlookers agitating them forward, Rutgers fed themselves. Did you see their incinsors and canines seem to grow longer and sharper as the game wore on. The Knights would unleash a ferocious, feral fury, Rutgers fileted away until they delivered their final puncture. Castrating the Badgers and leaving their insides strewn about the RAC floor. A Quad 1 at home by 22 points, are you kidding me. Its got to be rabies!

Today we saw the full realization of what happens when you combine elite defense with offense hitting on all cylinders. This was a top 25 perhaps even Top 10 performance against a ranked (at least for now) opponent. It was an NCAA tournment level performance. Yes that is how good it was. Rutgers came into this losers of 6 of 8 at the RAC dating back to last year. There may have been no more miserable game for any Rutgers fans in the past few years than the wretched listless performance by Rutgers vs Penn State. Yet the two games could not be more different. Then again Rutgers is no longer than same team. I have been cautious with heaping expectations with Jeremiah and how much he can change the team. RU certainly looked better at Michigan and at Maryland in victories. The D was elite but the offense while improved still only scored 56 at Maryland. No more Bac. Today proved alot. J Will's first half where he dished out 6 assists was revolutionary for this teams offense. Jeremiah is such an unknown for RU's opponents. Pike's secret weapon. The opponents have no idea what is going on in practice and what RU will run on the court. Its going to take a few more games for opponents to figure out what is going on. J Will is the ultimate threat. He can drive to the hoop, He can distribute to others. He can act as a decoy. He can hit decoys. Yet perhaps his biggest threat is his energy and enthusiasm he brings to this team. His teammates love him. He has brought back smiles on the court. He is leading by example. The hustle on the court is contagious. I have not seen a game this year where the players were literally throwing themselves on the court hustling for that ball. This turnaround certainly is a team turnaround do not get me wrong. Jeremiah the Bullfrog would hop onto the court for his RAC game and he would leave it as the newly crowned Prince of Piscataway.

Jumping on their opponent early has been a rarity for Rutgers. You see what this team could do with a quick start. You will not see a better opening 4 minutes than today. The traditional Cliff dunk ally hoop delivered for the first time by Jeremiah. Derek with a steal and outlet to Mag for a lay up and one. A third UW turnover would lead to a J Will jumper and then a J Mike smooth shot will lead to a 9-0 lead. RU would force a 4th turnover and Mag blew a layup that could have made it even worse. 3 minutes in the Badgers did not even know what bit them. RU had expended alot of energy in that stretch most notably J Will and Pike quickly went to the bench resting Mag/Cliff/J Will for Hyatt/Egbole/Gavin. While Wisconsin did whittle the lead to 11-9, that would be the closest they would get. RU kept biting and biting. Cliff and Williams came back and RU picked right off where they left off creating bunches of turnovers and extending the lead up to 9. What so impressive today was while we all now we can count on the RU defense for stops, today was notable for responses

I have seen Wisconsin on tv this season. They have beaten some good teams. Their offense when in synch is deadly. They can make you look silly. A good way to frustrate them is to simply keep making shots and RU responded almost everytime. A Noah sighting (more on him later) draining a big 3 that put RU up 21-12. AJ Storr was starting to heat up Cliff and Jeremiah were money under the hoop. As Essegian drained a 3 to creep Wisky to within 5, there was Noah again with another dagger. and Hyatt playing his role hit a big one to push the lead back to 9. The half would end with Jeremiah dishing to Cliff who hit as the buzzer would sound and RU went into the lockerroom 37-28. You can talk that its a 40 minute game yet each of those shots in the first half just seemed to take on huge importance for their timeliness to let Wisconsin know that they were not going to get back into this game. The gameplan of attacking and making Wisconsin pay for their mistakes was clear. By half Wisconsin had turned it over I believe 11 times. The improvement in poise and valuing of possessions playing with the lead should not be lost. J Will is a huge part of that but his teammates to for believing in him.

Even with Wisconsin on the ropes, I still felt Gard would be able to make some sort of adjustment and making me a run at RU in the 2nd half. That truly never happened. It took Wisconsin nearly 6 minutes to hit their first fg and during that time RU increased the lead to 15 led by yet another timely 3 by Hyatt. The next sequence was a serious of chomps by Noah Ferandes that hit the Badgers in the privates. Back to back 3s put RU up 51-34. Noah was rabid and the RAC was roaring. BITE BITE BITE. Yes there was a 7-0 Badger spurt that got the lead down to 10 but guess who...Noah with the game of his life hit on his 5th trey in 5 tries and then immediately followed up with a transition layup follwing a Cliff block. RU was back up 17 and Gard was forced to call yet another timeout. The Badgers would be officially neutered on a Derek Simpson 3 with the shot clock running down. Ironically his only made fg of the game but that was the coup de grace. The many Badger fans quiet throughout slinked their way to the exits with over 6 minutes left. The Badgers were bludgeoned and the Fat Lady was making her way up the stairs from the bowels of the RAC. RU would keep playing at a high level right to the end. Draining corner 3s exanding their lead to 22.

Individually I know J Will did get mvp and yes he was huge for this game but I mean I have to start with Noah here because he was 6-6 fg, 5-5 3, 17 points, 18 minutes. This is a guy who went from starter to playing less than 15 minutes in his last 5-6 games. Including just 4 minutes at Michigan. That has to be so difficult for any player at any level. Noah kept his head up and Pike called his name and he delivered. Each and everyone of his shots played a large role in this game. He was delivering daggers. He had only scored 5 points in his last 4 games and was averaging just 3 over the past 9. I mean no one absolutely no one saw this one coming except for Noah and Pike who called on him. Just a tremendous individual show up but a player who hasnt lived to up what he was supposed to bring.

Jeremiah was all over the stat line. He ended up with 7 assists and 6 of them were in the first half. Finished with 17 points, dont mind the 6-15 fg shooting, 6-6 ft and 5 boards in 27 minutes. Again as said he is bringing a dynamic to the program that cannot be measured but you se it show up in every little thing that his teammates are now doing better than they were two weeks ago.

Cliff was a beast tonight. He hissed and fed in the paint. An amazing 8 blocks, another double double with 13 points and 12 ribbies in 31 minutes. Cliff took upon himself to get better before J Will started playing but I do not think any other player is benefitting more right now that Big Cliff and it changes how he can be used on offense and we arent seeing that double team anymore which would negate him as an offensive option. Can we get Cliff next year...can you imagine..wow

Mag yet again with another Mag performance. He is giving that elite D plus the 12-14 points a game. Looked like he just a 3 game blip where perhaps he wasnt 100% and now he is clearly reestablished himsefl. 5-11 fg, maybe a shot or two more than I want him to take given our new function offense but I will not quibble. Added 6 boards, 2 assists and 2 steals in 26 minutes.

Davis got the start ended up with 21 minutes, just 1-3 fg, 2 points. 4 boards, an assist and a block. He is getting better and tougher and while it didnt show up in the stat line. These are the games that will pay off down the line. Obviously a hot shooting Noah will take some minutes in a game like this. Dont have to use him for offense and besides one ill advised possession he has reigned himself in

Derek Simpson cannot shoot hitting just 1-6 fg but the one he made locked this game up. His shooting may or may not come in the future yet he is contributing in a slew of ways. Namely his defense and his committment to rebounding. 3 boards, 5 assists and 3 steals. Pike just may be indentify a new role for Derek to take on and so far Derek is responding

Hyatt man he is consistent even if his role has been somewhat dimisished. 23 minutes tonight, 4-9fg, 3 treys, 11 points. Again another guy going through an adjustment of having to unjustly take on the role of the main scorer and now transitioning to a reduced but no lesser role. Pike is putting him in the important moments in the game.

Griffiths just 1-5 fg, got a nice dunk/lay in off a turnover then missed badly on his 3 yet I still see Gavin is getting better. He is starting to get in the mix and be a little dirty on those boards. I love his passing. Gavin is going to have a breakout Big 10 game this year. Its just a question of when.

Ogbole was called on early for Cliff. Logged 8 minutes with 3 boards and an assist. Thats all you can ask for. He will not be playing crunch time. He will be giving minutes to spell Cliff who will still be playing 30-34 minutes a game. He is a help for this team

Overall the stats of 10-17 fg for 3 is stunning. I figured that would be a game where this team shoots well as they did vs SHU but I am not sure I would have picked todays game. Everything looks better when shots go down and you arent playing on your heels on defense. Free throws were excelllent at 8-9 as opposed to UW 13-22 and RU won the battle of the boards 43-40 while taking 9 more shots than Wisky and making 11 more! 18 assists wow! 9 blocks yes! RU had just 7 turnovers to Wisky 12 and poured in 15 points off turnovers all I think in the first half where they made them pay.

The RAC was as good as it needed to be. Wins have been rare in the previous 8 league games. Loud when warranted and appreciative of the great effort and turn around by the players. I think the early start alllowed the players to feed off their energy and keep the defensive intensity going. I have a suspicion a closer game awaits vs Northwestern where the RAC will be called upon in the late stages so its A plus RAC level for Northwestern,

To go from a 61-45 loss to Penn State an improved but middle of the road Big 10 school not headed to the NCAA tourney to a 78-56 win over a ranked team headed to the NCAA is quite the turnaround in 11 days. Coach Pikiell has gone from his worst performance as coach this yer to his best. Its always frustrating for the fans to go through the ups and downs from game to game but geez I do not know how the coaches get through it. Pike has been able to unleash his secret weapon in Jeremiah and it had to frustrate both of them that he wasnt allowed ion the court. I get Wisconsin was reeling a bit suffering their 4th straight loss. Take nothing away from Rutgers win today. The win over Michigan was just nice to get. The win over Maryland was a great win to have for how they did it. The win over Wisconsin is extraordinary. From paupers to princes. One game okay, Michigan sucks, two games well Maryland isnt very good offensively, 3 games yeah I have seen enough J Will completely changes this team. I was wrong for not jumping on board right away. Where this leaves RU is going to be great message board fodder this week. I would hestitate to jump too far into what March could look like. The margin of error for Rutgers right now is extremely small. One game at a day time. Northwestern is very very important. Its the last quality win RU can notch at the RAC. Talk about post season cannot really start until RU wins this game. Not going to be easy. Northwestern is extremely well coached. They have tons of options most notably Buie. I have seen them play at a really high level. However they are not unbeatable and they are not the same team on the road. Rutgers is brimming with confidence. Last year when the Wildcats stung RU holding them to 45 points, RU was under heavy pressure to win. Rutgers needs to win to have an opportunity to have another opportunity. Then again that has been working out for them the past 3.

Something something rabid. The Middlesex County Department of Health just sent out a health alert saying anyone who attended today's game may have or may have been exposed to rabies. A saliva test of the RU players confirmed it. Rutgers was showing signs of ferocious defense, raging 3 point shooting, relentless unsympathetic attacks, and by the end you could almost seem them "bubbling" at the mouth. Wild thing you make my heart sing. RU played as mad as a badger. For fans being rabid is defined as having or proceeding from an extreme fanatical support or belief in something, sure sounds like Rutgers fans were exposed to a bludgeoning. They took aggressive relentless bites at the Badgers. First at their bodies, then at their minds. Wisconsin was knocked on their heels. Wounded but still alive. Rutgers could smell it and so could the cage known as the RAC. In the 2nd half, with a bunch of crazed onlookers agitating them forward, Rutgers fed themselves. Did you see their incinsors and canines seem to grow longer and sharper as the game wore on. The Knights would unleash a ferocious, feral fury, Rutgers fileted away until they delivered their final puncture. Castrating the Badgers and leaving their insides strewn about the RAC floor. A Quad 1 at home by 22 points, are you kidding me. Its got to be rabies!

Today we saw the full realization of what happens when you combine elite defense with offense hitting on all cylinders. This was a top 25 perhaps even Top 10 performance against a ranked (at least for now) opponent. It was an NCAA tournment level performance. Yes that is how good it was. Rutgers came into this losers of 6 of 8 at the RAC dating back to last year. There may have been no more miserable game for any Rutgers fans in the past few years than the wretched listless performance by Rutgers vs Penn State. Yet the two games could not be more different. Then again Rutgers is no longer than same team. I have been cautious with heaping expectations with Jeremiah and how much he can change the team. RU certainly looked better at Michigan and at Maryland in victories. The D was elite but the offense while improved still only scored 56 at Maryland. No more Bac. Today proved alot. J Will's first half where he dished out 6 assists was revolutionary for this teams offense. Jeremiah is such an unknown for RU's opponents. Pike's secret weapon. The opponents have no idea what is going on in practice and what RU will run on the court. Its going to take a few more games for opponents to figure out what is going on. J Will is the ultimate threat. He can drive to the hoop, He can distribute to others. He can act as a decoy. He can hit decoys. Yet perhaps his biggest threat is his energy and enthusiasm he brings to this team. His teammates love him. He has brought back smiles on the court. He is leading by example. The hustle on the court is contagious. I have not seen a game this year where the players were literally throwing themselves on the court hustling for that ball. This turnaround certainly is a team turnaround do not get me wrong. Jeremiah the Bullfrog would hop onto the court for his RAC game and he would leave it as the newly crowned Prince of Piscataway.

Jumping on their opponent early has been a rarity for Rutgers. You see what this team could do with a quick start. You will not see a better opening 4 minutes than today. The traditional Cliff dunk ally hoop delivered for the first time by Jeremiah. Derek with a steal and outlet to Mag for a lay up and one. A third UW turnover would lead to a J Will jumper and then a J Mike smooth shot will lead to a 9-0 lead. RU would force a 4th turnover and Mag blew a layup that could have made it even worse. 3 minutes in the Badgers did not even know what bit them. RU had expended alot of energy in that stretch most notably J Will and Pike quickly went to the bench resting Mag/Cliff/J Will for Hyatt/Egbole/Gavin. While Wisconsin did whittle the lead to 11-9, that would be the closest they would get. RU kept biting and biting. Cliff and Williams came back and RU picked right off where they left off creating bunches of turnovers and extending the lead up to 9. What so impressive today was while we all now we can count on the RU defense for stops, today was notable for responses

I have seen Wisconsin on tv this season. They have beaten some good teams. Their offense when in synch is deadly. They can make you look silly. A good way to frustrate them is to simply keep making shots and RU responded almost everytime. A Noah sighting (more on him later) draining a big 3 that put RU up 21-12. AJ Storr was starting to heat up Cliff and Jeremiah were money under the hoop. As Essegian drained a 3 to creep Wisky to within 5, there was Noah again with another dagger. and Hyatt playing his role hit a big one to push the lead back to 9. The half would end with Jeremiah dishing to Cliff who hit as the buzzer would sound and RU went into the lockerroom 37-28. You can talk that its a 40 minute game yet each of those shots in the first half just seemed to take on huge importance for their timeliness to let Wisconsin know that they were not going to get back into this game. The gameplan of attacking and making Wisconsin pay for their mistakes was clear. By half Wisconsin had turned it over I believe 11 times. The improvement in poise and valuing of possessions playing with the lead should not be lost. J Will is a huge part of that but his teammates to for believing in him.

Even with Wisconsin on the ropes, I still felt Gard would be able to make some sort of adjustment and making me a run at RU in the 2nd half. That truly never happened. It took Wisconsin nearly 6 minutes to hit their first fg and during that time RU increased the lead to 15 led by yet another timely 3 by Hyatt. The next sequence was a serious of chomps by Noah Ferandes that hit the Badgers in the privates. Back to back 3s put RU up 51-34. Noah was rabid and the RAC was roaring. BITE BITE BITE. Yes there was a 7-0 Badger spurt that got the lead down to 10 but guess who...Noah with the game of his life hit on his 5th trey in 5 tries and then immediately followed up with a transition layup follwing a Cliff block. RU was back up 17 and Gard was forced to call yet another timeout. The Badgers would be officially neutered on a Derek Simpson 3 with the shot clock running down. Ironically his only made fg of the game but that was the coup de grace. The many Badger fans quiet throughout slinked their way to the exits with over 6 minutes left. The Badgers were bludgeoned and the Fat Lady was making her way up the stairs from the bowels of the RAC. RU would keep playing at a high level right to the end. Draining corner 3s exanding their lead to 22.

Individually I know J Will did get mvp and yes he was huge for this game but I mean I have to start with Noah here because he was 6-6 fg, 5-5 3, 17 points, 18 minutes. This is a guy who went from starter to playing less than 15 minutes in his last 5-6 games. Including just 4 minutes at Michigan. That has to be so difficult for any player at any level. Noah kept his head up and Pike called his name and he delivered. Each and everyone of his shots played a large role in this game. He was delivering daggers. He had only scored 5 points in his last 4 games and was averaging just 3 over the past 9. I mean no one absolutely no one saw this one coming except for Noah and Pike who called on him. Just a tremendous individual show up but a player who hasnt lived to up what he was supposed to bring.

Jeremiah was all over the stat line. He ended up with 7 assists and 6 of them were in the first half. Finished with 17 points, dont mind the 6-15 fg shooting, 6-6 ft and 5 boards in 27 minutes. Again as said he is bringing a dynamic to the program that cannot be measured but you se it show up in every little thing that his teammates are now doing better than they were two weeks ago.

Cliff was a beast tonight. He hissed and fed in the paint. An amazing 8 blocks, another double double with 13 points and 12 ribbies in 31 minutes. Cliff took upon himself to get better before J Will started playing but I do not think any other player is benefitting more right now that Big Cliff and it changes how he can be used on offense and we arent seeing that double team anymore which would negate him as an offensive option. Can we get Cliff next year...can you imagine..wow

Mag yet again with another Mag performance. He is giving that elite D plus the 12-14 points a game. Looked like he just a 3 game blip where perhaps he wasnt 100% and now he is clearly reestablished himsefl. 5-11 fg, maybe a shot or two more than I want him to take given our new function offense but I will not quibble. Added 6 boards, 2 assists and 2 steals in 26 minutes.

Davis got the start ended up with 21 minutes, just 1-3 fg, 2 points. 4 boards, an assist and a block. He is getting better and tougher and while it didnt show up in the stat line. These are the games that will pay off down the line. Obviously a hot shooting Noah will take some minutes in a game like this. Dont have to use him for offense and besides one ill advised possession he has reigned himself in

Derek Simpson cannot shoot hitting just 1-6 fg but the one he made locked this game up. His shooting may or may not come in the future yet he is contributing in a slew of ways. Namely his defense and his committment to rebounding. 3 boards, 5 assists and 3 steals. Pike just may be indentify a new role for Derek to take on and so far Derek is responding

Hyatt man he is consistent even if his role has been somewhat dimisished. 23 minutes tonight, 4-9fg, 3 treys, 11 points. Again another guy going through an adjustment of having to unjustly take on the role of the main scorer and now transitioning to a reduced but no lesser role. Pike is putting him in the important moments in the game.

Griffiths just 1-5 fg, got a nice dunk/lay in off a turnover then missed badly on his 3 yet I still see Gavin is getting better. He is starting to get in the mix and be a little dirty on those boards. I love his passing. Gavin is going to have a breakout Big 10 game this year. Its just a question of when.

Ogbole was called on early for Cliff. Logged 8 minutes with 3 boards and an assist. Thats all you can ask for. He will not be playing crunch time. He will be giving minutes to spell Cliff who will still be playing 30-34 minutes a game. He is a help for this team

Overall the stats of 10-17 fg for 3 is stunning. I figured that would be a game where this team shoots well as they did vs SHU but I am not sure I would have picked todays game. Everything looks better when shots go down and you arent playing on your heels on defense. Free throws were excelllent at 8-9 as opposed to UW 13-22 and RU won the battle of the boards 43-40 while taking 9 more shots than Wisky and making 11 more! 18 assists wow! 9 blocks yes! RU had just 7 turnovers to Wisky 12 and poured in 15 points off turnovers all I think in the first half where they made them pay.

The RAC was as good as it needed to be. Wins have been rare in the previous 8 league games. Loud when warranted and appreciative of the great effort and turn around by the players. I think the early start alllowed the players to feed off their energy and keep the defensive intensity going. I have a suspicion a closer game awaits vs Northwestern where the RAC will be called upon in the late stages so its A plus RAC level for Northwestern,

To go from a 61-45 loss to Penn State an improved but middle of the road Big 10 school not headed to the NCAA tourney to a 78-56 win over a ranked team headed to the NCAA is quite the turnaround in 11 days. Coach Pikiell has gone from his worst performance as coach this yer to his best. Its always frustrating for the fans to go through the ups and downs from game to game but geez I do not know how the coaches get through it. Pike has been able to unleash his secret weapon in Jeremiah and it had to frustrate both of them that he wasnt allowed ion the court. I get Wisconsin was reeling a bit suffering their 4th straight loss. Take nothing away from Rutgers win today. The win over Michigan was just nice to get. The win over Maryland was a great win to have for how they did it. The win over Wisconsin is extraordinary. From paupers to princes. One game okay, Michigan sucks, two games well Maryland isnt very good offensively, 3 games yeah I have seen enough J Will completely changes this team. I was wrong for not jumping on board right away. Where this leaves RU is going to be great message board fodder this week. I would hestitate to jump too far into what March could look like. The margin of error for Rutgers right now is extremely small. One game at a day time. Northwestern is very very important. Its the last quality win RU can notch at the RAC. Talk about post season cannot really start until RU wins this game. Not going to be easy. Northwestern is extremely well coached. They have tons of options most notably Buie. I have seen them play at a really high level. However they are not unbeatable and they are not the same team on the road. Rutgers is brimming with confidence. Last year when the Wildcats stung RU holding them to 45 points, RU was under heavy pressure to win. Rutgers needs to win to have an opportunity to have another opportunity. Then again that has been working out for them the past 3.

excellent work as always, Bac. Was really looking forward to this one.

That drive and dish from Simpson for the Hyatt corner 3 was a thing of beauty. Hope to see more of it.

BAC Is BAC!

Was crying out for Rocky Racoon?

Although thoroughly enjoyed the subtle Jeremiah was a bullfrog reference.

If DJ isn’t going to play it, at least get a bullfrog as one of the inflatables.

All is right in the RU world.

Great review!

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Nicely done bac.

We as fans can start to think about the possibilities, but Pike has to keep this team focused on the task at hand. Chop the moment as Greg Schiano says. Go 1-0 against Northwestern. Then go 1-0 at Minnesota next Sunday night.

This is now a complete team with JWill and Ogbole. The pieces are in place. The defense has been absolutely ELITE the last three games, and if we can continue to improve on offense, we’re going to be a tough out for every team on our schedule.

Do you believe in Miracles? Yes!!!

DREAM BIG DREAMS!!

Nicely done bac.

We as fans can start to think about the possibilities, but Pike has to keep this team focused on the task at hand. Chop the moment as Greg Schiano says. Go 1-0 against Northwestern. Then go 1-0 at Minnesota next Sunday night.

This is now a complete team with JWill and Ogbole. The pieces are in place. The defense has been absolutely ELITE the last three games, and if we can continue to improve on offense, we’re going to be a tough out for every team on our schedule.

Do you believe in Miracles? Yes!!!

DREAM BIG DREAMS!!
I still have that 88-89 shirt somewhere !

"Jeremiah the Bullfrog would hop onto the court for his RAC game and he would leave it as the newly crowned Prince of Piscataway."

Dear-God-Its-Beautiful-Zoolander-Mugatu.gif

I had no major issue with the the reffing today - some blown calls both ways, but that's normal and we had several more fouls called, which is typical for an aggressive defense.
Lots of blown calls today... But I don't think it was slanted too far in either team's direction (though I do think it was slanted slightly in Wisconsin's direction). The overall quality of officiating in the last several games has been poor.

Is that you, Jellyman ?

Reactions: LeapinLou
- Defense today was damn ELITE ! Unreal defensive effort.

- Jeremiah is the man ! It's amazing how a team has responded to his infectious play and personality. ! The guy does everything......scores / drives / rebounds / assists and defense. And what is uncanny is his ability to get Cliff the ball in position to score. He also allows the team to space effectively.

- Cliff and Mag are 2 rejuvenated players. whatta turnaround !

An amazing effort today by all and a beat down though I am a bit nervous about the rematch in Madison.

Lots of blown calls today... But I don't think it was slanted too far in either team's direction (though I do think it was slanted slightly in Wisconsin's direction). The overall quality of officiating in the last several games has been poor.
In the first half, it was 9 fouls for Rutgers and just 3 for Wisconsin before they started intentionally fouling on our last possession.

Best performance of the year by far. I won't object to calling this one a "great" win. Amazing how much easier the game can be when your 3pt shots are falling. You can't expect that to continue but the defensive intensity and schemes look good and it is reasonable to expect that can be sustained.

A lot of strong individual performances lead by the big guy. Just a very good all around game by Cliff. Imagine if he could just get some loft on that jump hook to get it over the front rim. We need him to continue to play at a high level to have a real chance. I like Ogbole behind him. He is still raw and has questionable hands but if allowed to play physical in short spurts he can be effective. An upgrade from Woolf.

It has been striking how JW has elevated the play of the overall team. He just brings improvement in several facets of the game that this team really needed. The ball moves better on offense. He also makes them a much better FT shooting team.

If BAC wants to check a guy for rabies perhaps Noah would be a candidate. He has had a tough season but that performance yesterday was totally unexpected. I am sure Wisconsin did not game plan for that. Good for him.

Mawot just needs to play to his own strengths to maintain maximum effectiveness.

I like the Northwestern team. Not just Buie but Berry and some of their other wing pieces. We can play with them, and I don't think we need to shoot it as well to win, but we need to avoid the long droughts. We should have an advantage with Cliff in the middle but need to exploit that advantage effectively versus forcing it.

Reactions: Scangg
"Jeremiah the Bullfrog would hop onto the court for his RAC game and he would leave it as the newly crowned Prince of Piscataway."

Dear-God-Its-Beautiful-Zoolander-Mugatu.gif

This movie is burned in my brain and I can’t get the lines out of my head.
No one ever laughs when I say:

“The files are in the computer!?!?”

But I won’t stop peppering it in whenever I can.

Be careful my friend, keep yourself safe from freak gasoline fight accidents.

In the first half, it was 9 fouls for Rutgers and just 3 for Wisconsin before they started intentionally fouling on our last possession.
Definitely, but we also got away with several clear fouls. Board was tilted a bit towards Wisconsin, but the officials were just poor and inconsistent throughout.

This is the longest post I have ever seen on a message. Some will read it.
But it’s Bac and everyone knows his post-game manifestos are The Must Read item!

@bac2therac this is your pièce de résistance! Thoroughly enjoyed the allegorical references in the first paragraph. And, not only were the fans at the RAC rabid, it had the same effect here in Texas and probably all over this fine country as the RU faithful reveled in Badger guts!

The one thing I’ll say is Derrick Simpson can shoot. He broke the scoring record at Lenape HS and scored over 1000 points in his career. The ball and hoop are the same size now as then. He’s in a sophomore slump but as we’ve seen in a few games he can go for 15+ and will us to victory when he needs to. He will get better at that. The rest of his job, steals, defense, forcing turnovers in the press, all amazing.

That was the best game we've played since we dismantled Seton Hall at the RAC a few years ago. Really incredible performance. I loved every second of it. The crazy thing about this is that J Will's career gave little indication that this kind of impact was possible. He has been a pretty good college basketball player. But in these 3 games for us, he's turned us into a different animal.

In the pregame interview, Pike said we were due for a game where the shots would fall and when you combine that with our elite defense, we can play with anybody. As it turns out, when you shoot and play defense like that, you can dismantle anybody.

I can see small improvement in GG but I’ve got to squint real hard.
From beginning of the year til now, Gavin notibly:
-Does not automatically turn the ball over when dribbling inside
-can get to the rim dribbling
-jumps higher than anyone for rebounds, the one yesterday where he was surrounded by 4 wisconsin players and he jumped so high his head almost hit the rim, then came down and passed it out, no turnover

Those things are great and as we know his shooting will come

If you want to read something that's worth it,check out Carino's article in the Asbury Park press about Noah and Carino's take on what's going on. His analysis about fan's who can't see the forest from the trees is classic. And I'm not even a fan of Carino.

Some have a Saturday night with friends wives girlfriends a job lol. 12 plus paragraphs and hours of precious life is what others have.

If your real life persona is anything like it is on here, I suspect you’re exaggerating how much time anyone wants to spend with you.

Reactions: RUonBrain
If your real life persona is anything like it is on here, I suspect you’re exaggerating how much time anyone wants to spend with you.
Exaggerating how? You were the one begging for a regurgitated explanation of a game you saw with your eyes. A recap with zero insight or quotes or anything from anyone involved. That probably makes you worse. Lol.

Nice write-up. We're close to 100% aligned on this. Watching RU hoops is fun again and there's growing hope for the postseason (NIT definitely in reach and NCAAs would require a 1989 style run, but you never know) and at a minimum we clearly don't suck anymore.

BAC--excellent wite up. It's amazing how one player could turn around a team so completely in such a short time as has JWill. If there's ever a player who has been able to make everyone else's game better it is JWill. It's greatly helped Cliff but just as much the guards who are now more comfortable in their newly roles --.Derek can be the 2 guard and focus on tough defense and rebounding ; Noah can focus on his outside shot and JMike a point guard with less focus on scoring. Early in the season Rutgers was getting killed on the boards by nearly everyone --now Rutgers has JWill , Mag and Cliff to rebound plus Derek. Good stuff--it's hard to believe they're the same team from 4 games ago. BTW- I like what I see in Ogbole. He's physically big , a willing rebounder , and may develop into a nice contributor once he learns to hold onto the ball. At the very least , he's a much better sub than Wolf. Final quick thoughts --Mag has really looked good once he got over his physical issues ; kudos to Hyatt for accepting his diminished role and still contributing.; finally Cliff is back doing what he does best on offense --putting back errant shots and dunking on nice assists. Not surprisingly assists have increased greatly once JWill began playing. From playing like a school yard pickup team against Penn St to dominating a Wisconsin team. My how the body language and smiles have changed literally overnight. Amazing turnaround.

The one thing I’ll say is Derrick Simpson can shoot. He broke the scoring record at Lenape HS and scored over 1000 points in his career. The ball and hoop are the same size now as then. He’s in a sophomore slump but as we’ve seen in a few games he can go for 15+ and will us to victory when he needs to. He will get better at that. The rest of his job, steals, defense, forcing turnovers in the press, all amazing.

He is in a freshman and sophomore slump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT