ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Bryant's muse-a tribute to John Battle

wheezer

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
Flipping through the dial and caught about 5_minutes of the Kobe Bryant special on Showtime

Anyway, as he was discussing NBA players that influenced his game, he gave a solid salute to former RU player, John Battle, then with the Atlantic Hawks

Bryant marvelled at how John could take a rebound and go coast to coast, dribbling with his off hand all the way, and take it all the way in to score
He said others might not remember John, but he certainly did, and strived to be able to do the same

the Show included a few buckets and moves by John

John was a great player for RU, he made one of the greatest leaps in playing I have seen on the banks

I can remember the first time I saw battle come down court at full speed stop in place and vertically elevate straight up at least 3 ft, (probably more) and knock down a mid range jumper. Holy crap his body control was simply off the charts. I think he was the sixth man on his hs team at John Carroll in DC. what a phenomenal find by Tom Young.

I played in a few pickup games at the Livingston gym and Battle goofing off at half speed was still the most athletic guard I was ever on the court with. His verticle was insane (and insanely fast going from Terra firma to elbow above the rim).

In 85 he was back to coach a high school team (Perth Amboy) in Tom Young’s summer camp. I was called over to ref the games last minute from my gym job. They were matched up against St Anthony’s. Little Danny harping at me the whole time sitting under the basket while his brother played.

I had little notice games were very informal and refs timed games by hand on running clock. I had no timer so Battle gives me his NCAA tournament watch to time games. Of course I get back to the dorm that night, presto still wearing the watch!

Gave it back to him the next day. He is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.

When I mentioned, taking a leap, I did not mean, in the air, but from year to year

His freshman year here he averaged 2.4 points per game
The sophomore season..... 5.9
Then, in his 3rd and 4th years.........21 pts per game

I remember thinking, who is this guy, all of a sudden!!!!

And, then go to the NBA, 4th round, play 10 or so years, over 5,000_pts before retiring

Last edited:
When I mentioned, taking a leap, I did not mean, in the air, but from year to year

And, then go to the NBA, 4th round, play 10 or so years, over 5,000_pts before retiring

Battle is a great example of why I couldn’t stand Tom Young’s coaching.

He was obviously talented and I couldn’t understand why Young didn’t use him better in ‘82-‘83. And then when he shined the next year it was like “yea…no sh*t”.

That said I think Young was a great developer of talent which offset his weak recruiting and overly tense game coaching.

I can't believe I missed this thread - this is great. Battle was raw his freshman year and playing on an experienced team, but you could see the talent and potential. Now, I probably didn't see him taking it as far as he did. What I take from Kobe's comments is that the greats are constantly studying, looking for an edge or something that can make them better.

Imagine if Battle were playing now and had 2 points a game as a frosh. Some people would probably get on here and say he is not good. Needed time to develop and become NBA player. Especially KK.

Last edited:
Imagine if Battle were playing now and had 2 points a game as a frosh. Some people would probably get on here and say he is not good. Needed time to develop and become NBA player. Especially KK.
Nahhhhh he would enter the portal and get some NIL

Flipping through the dial and caught about 5_minutes of the Kobe Bryant special on Showtime

Anyway, as he was discussing NBA players that influenced his game, he gave a solid salute to former RU player, John Battle, then with the Atlantic Hawks

Bryant marvelled at how John could take a rebound and go coast to coast, dribbling with his off hand all the way, and take it all the way in to score
He said others might not remember John, but he certainly did, and strived to be able to do the same

the Show included a few buckets and moves by John

John was a great player for RU, he made one of the greatest leaps in playing I have seen on the banks
Agreed about the improvement made at Rutgers not a high level recruit but improved every year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT