ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 21 Michigan: Sharing the Knights Together

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Now that is a performance that all Rutgers fans can get behind. An improbable turn 25 point turnaround that saw RU go from down 15 to winning by 10. Rutgers gathered themselves and once they got the lead, they simply ran away with it. In the end it wasnt even close. RU gutted the Wolverines spirit as Michigan collapsed like a wet chalupa stomped down into the ground. A second half performance that was so striking for this Rutgers team this year in how they did. it. Team ball, trusting with each other and sharing with each other. There was a hunger out there today that has been rarely seen this season. A willingness to impose will. Some sick runs....37-12, 30-8, 20-4, 18-2

As for the game, it started with a first half full of sputters and bricks. It looked like more of the same futility on offense as I believe RU hit just 1 fg in the first 7 minutes falling behind 14-5. Plus even worse on defense as Michigan was hitting at 54% fg and draining 6 3s. Did not look like we were bothering Michigan at all on the defensive end. Even a mini comeback toward halftime that got the defecit to 5 was thwarted by a disastrous last 10 seconds of play that saw Michigan build the lead back to 9. Mag with 11 was mainly the only reliable offense in the first half w Michigan would run off 8 straight points to take their biggest lead of 15 at 47-32 and it appeared that RU was ready to pack it in and be blown out to a 7-14 team. What came next was a very unexpected flip off the script by Rutgers. The Knights began a 37-12 run rather innocuously with a Derek Simpson layin with 16:37 left and the defecit was still 12 with 12:43 left. From there it complete domination by Rutgers. RU would outscored Michigan 30-8 to end the game.

Everyone contributed. Jeremiah, Hyatt, Cliff, Derek not only by finally making buckets but with his assists. Finally it looked like a team. There were no "me" shots. Rutgers had purpose. Rutgers smelled blood and they exploited that. To me a huge takeaway. RU imposed their will for the first time on a team since Indiana way back in the first week on the year. RU converted on 6 straight possessions cutting the gap to just 55-51. RU revved their D up. Loved the double teaming to deny anything inside. Just had the feeling that Michigan was choking and if RU could just get the lead this one was going to go their way. Derek hit a layup and completely an and one and there it was RU up 59-57 with 4:40 and never looked back. RU would pour it on from there smothering the Wolverines. RU took advantage of sloppy Michigan passing. 19 turnovers in all, I think maybe 10 in the first half but overall RU scored 19 points off turnovers and made Michigan pay for their mistakes in a key stretch. Two back to back UM turnovers led to buckets by Hyatt and Cliff and suddenly RU was up 8. Michigan would muster their only fg in the last 7 minute but it was meaningless. J Mike answered with a sweet drive attacking. Michigan was finished. Rutgers had their most impressive game of the season since way back at Seton Hall. Yet arguably it might have actually been their most impressive stretch of play of the season. Team ball rolling the ball of confidence play by play by play getting more powerful as the game wore on. Rebounding battle was close early on but RU just flat out wanted it more as the game wore on. RU would win the battle 40-32 and 15-6 on the offensive end and end up taking 14 more shots than Michigan. How about 13-17 at the line, such a big improvment there. 8 RU steals among the 19 turnovers Michigan while RU taking care of the ball with just 9 such a reversal from the 20 plus stinkfest vs Penn State

Need to address the long awaited debut of Jeremiah Williams. His long saga has been debated ad nauseum but finally got cleared and Pike wasted no time inserting him in the starting lineup along with J Mike sending Austin Williams and Aundre Hyatt to the bench. J Will was active early grabbing a board on the first Michigan miss and then getting to the line shortly thereafter where he made his free throws, J Will would score a couple of buckets for 6 points in the first half. Playing a whopping 29 minutes, Jeremiah would finish with 10 points on 4-12 shooting, 6 boards, and 2 assists. His sheer presence on the court is a game changer on how this team has to be defended. A guy who can slash and create his own shot but also a guy who has the vision to distribute. For RU opponents not having any film on him is a plus for RU and RU definitely took advantage of it today. Again not putting any expectations on him, not fair to J Will. But yeah having another guy who can step in and take 12 shots while making other guys better looks to be an obvious plus going forward. Just getting his feet wet today, there will be ups and downs but no doubt it looks we are just scratching the surface with him right now.

Team win for sure but some really great individual performances. Derek Simpson has simply been awful with his shooting percentage this year. His effort is there yet it has been deflating to see miss after miss. Today Derek had a monster game. 7-13 fg 19 points, 5 boards and 6 assists. Derek was in on every play and such a balance between knowing when to shoot and knowing when to share. I think Derek was only 2-4 fg with 5 points in the first half so his 2nd half was pretty incredible. Simpson seemingly was in on every play whether by hoop or assist in a stretch where RU would take control. Great to see hard work pay off and him to stick with it. I know I have been hard on his poor shooting so hopefully some consistency can be developed. Certainly Cliff took advantage of Derek today. Finally with someone to feed him, Cliff really had himself a game asserting himself on both ends of the court. Cliff played 32 minutes, scored 15 points, hauled down 11 boards including 5 on the offensive end. The ball movement and spacing was better today but it was the transition game which looked even better than previous games. Mawot Mag basically kept RU alive in the first half scoring 11. After 3 straight goose egg of games, this was a game we needed to see from Mag. Perhaps he was suffering some lingering injury because Mag was really active in the first half on both ends. Mag would also score 15 on 6-12 fg shooting and 3 steals. This is the Mag that we all know and love so hopefully he can put that 3 game egg behind him. J Mike got the start today which he earned. Not great in the first half but he had a solid game in that 2nd half. A big defensive steal at 63-57 and quite the fearless drive to the hoop late put RU up 67-59. Just 2-5 fg but guess what after shooting 12 in his last game, this wasnt a game where J Mike needed to be taking alot of shots. J Mike contributed with 5 boards, 2 assists and just one turnover. Hyatt lost his starting job at least for today. That has to be tough for him. He did not play alot. Yet Hyatt played a role in this win. Pike called on him in the later stages and Aundre delivered for his coach. Hyatt had a stretch with RU down 1 where he grabbed a couple of boards, then came up with a big time steal which moments later led to a layup assisted by J Will putting RU up 6.

Ogbole finally got off the bench. Was really rusty and uncomfortable but still contributed 8 minutes. Not sure I liked Pike rolling the dice with him with more than 17 minutes left in the first half but I think Pike was just looking to shake up this team. Ogbole would end up with 3 boards and 1-2 at the line with 2 turnovers. We shall see how it goes from here but its a start. Gavin after showing signs of turning the corner last 2, took a couple steps backward with a 0-5 fg performance and his time was very limited in the 2nd half logging in with just 14 minutes. Noahs minutes reduced to 4..wow never thought I would see that and I would imagine there will be games he gets more. Its a needed call though by Pike especially if J Will is getting things done in practice. Just 3 for AW so thats also a big decrease. Monitor that going forward. Oskar did not see any time. Shockingly neither did Wolf so what is up with that. All and all no issue with Pike minute distribution today including Hyatt but did like that he gave Hyatt those minutes in crunch time. Overall Pike made some huge adjustments with his starting lineup and seemed much more flexible to letting the sub patterns being determined by performance rather than a set pattern. Pike has an uncanny ability to be able to keep a team fighting after such a rock bottom performance at the RAC. Even with a lackluster first half and down 15, he pushed all the right buttons so nice bounce back for him after the low point on Wednesday.

Wins have been hard to come by. Its been tough as a RU fan this year. Perspective here, Michigan is every bit as bad as their 7-14 record. Yet they were dominating RU and RU pummelled them in the end. Do not go crazy but be encouraged all things considered. RU is likely not the worst team in this league. That ironically may be come down to Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio State. Now with J Will and to a much lesser extent Ogbole in the rotation lets see what he have going forward. Admittedly its a daunting stretch with a trip to Maryland and home games vs Wisconsin and Northwestern but lets hope the Knights can build off of this victory that they worked so hard to earn. Til then...

And if tomorrow find us together
Right here the way we are, would you mind
Sharing the night together, oh, yeah
Sharing the night together, oh, yeah
Sharing the night

Last edited:
Interesting that he finished with a final 6 and just rotated guys to get quick rest. Jermeiah getting his 1st game action was noticably fatigued and needed quick rest.

I see an obvious top 6 guys for 4 slots for a team that wants to win now. That gets altered if we want to win but development is also nexessary

Reactions: miklosru
bac- another great recap.For the last 12 minutes of the game Rutgers started to look like a team with cohesion on both offense and defense.Simpson brought back memories of Gio Baker with the step back jump shot.J.Williams had a outstanding performance after not playing for two years.He has the size to make shots around the basket.Cliff came alive in the second half with dunks and rebounds.Mag got back to double digit scoring after not scoring in recent games.Pikiell changed defenses in the second half that confused Michigan resulting in turnovers.Michigan clearly stinks and Rutgers has another opportunity to get another win at the RAC.

Every remaining game will be a challenge for Rutgers.Scoring droughts have to be minimized.It would be great that they started games with a scoring spurt instead of fighting a uphill battle to catch up.

Reactions: jrm75 and miklosru
Happy with the win. Still too many nonsense shots, especially early, but there was also some good offense (caveat: Michigan's defense is Iowa-level bad). Hyatt particularly had some nice looks from three that resulted from ball movement, he just didn't hit any of them.

Pretty much any win this team is capable of getting is going to feel like fool's gold. Either Rutgers will hit a high number of shots that they usually miss, or the opponent will miss a high number of shots they normally hit. But I'll take anything. I like Pikiell leaning into the future. Sharing the game is contagious -- how about Williams' dumpoff to Cliff at the end?

Great Review!

Dr. Hook underated Yacht Rock/Pop performer. Best hit?

Pike going to 1-3-1 thoroughly confused Michigan. Great move.

Juwan not long for Michigan.

Simpson was amazing. Have to give him the keys back. In addition to scoring can’t overlook six assists and five rebounds. Just yet another great all around game, see Nebraska and OSU. Defense, effort and hustle always there. That alone should end the bashing.

J Williams is a godsend. O with the rebounds was nice!!

Cliff solid again. Mags was back and saved the game in the first half. Davis had some very nice contributions defensively.

Who knows rest of year as schedule is so difficult but positives to build on. Finally beat Michigan at Michigan, another victory over Indiana, beat a good SHU team, beat a likely NCAA team in Nebraska, beat up GT. Still have five weeks to build for next year too.

Today was a wonderful comeback win. 25 point turnarounds on the road against Michigan don’t happen too often, we deserve to celebrate.

Pike having flu was a nice gut check. Gave Knight some coaching too.

I know BAC won’t mention it, but I firmly believe this was the most fairly officiated games in years. For the first time in years on the road with the blue bloods, we weren’t hosed and actually weren’t in the bonus. When is the last time that happened?

Agree with BAC on this, how weird is it that Indiana, Michigan and Ohio State might be playing for last place. Two of those coaches will be in trouble and I suspect Woodson will be in trouble next year.

Last edited:
Ball movement in the second half, especially the second half of the second half changed our offense and the game. Want to see more of that from now on.

Nice recap. Loved seeing the much improved passing/sharing of the ball and the energy we played with, especially in the 2nd half on that killer run.

Reactions: bac2therac
Always appreciate bacs thoughts. Great fan and invoking Dr hook into a recap is like catching a lightning bolt.

Lots of demotions and pink slips issued tonight

Was long overdue with minimal or no playing time for Noah / Austin / Oskar / Woolfolk and reduced minutes for Hyatt.

Kudos to Jeremiah who played awesome. Showed no trepidation / no lack of confidence and should only get better once his conditioning improves.

Kudos to Cliff / Mag / JMIke and Derek who played terrific !

Good to see Ogelbe was released from Witness Protection!.

Great Review!

Dr. Hook underated Yacht Rock/Pop performer. Best hit?

Pike going to 1-3-1 thoroughly confused Michigan. Great move.

Juwan not long for Michigan.

Simpson was amazing. Have to give him the keys back. In addition to scoring can’t overlook six assists and five rebounds. Just yet another great all around game, see Nebraska and OSU. Defense, effort and hustle always there. That alone should end the bashing.

J Williams is a godsend. O with the rebounds was nice!!

Cliff solid again. Mags was back and saved the game in the first half. Davis had some very nice contributions defensively.

Who knows rest of year as schedule is so difficult but positives to build on. Finally beat Michigan at Michigan, another victory over Indiana, beat a good SHU team, beat a likely NCAA team in Nebraska, beat up GT. Still have five weeks to build for next year too.

Today was a wonderful comeback win. 25 point turnarounds on the road against Michigan don’t happen too often, we deserve to celebrate.

Pike having flu was a nice gut check. Gave Knight some coaching too.

I know BAC won’t mention it, but I firmly believe this was the most fairly officiated games in years. For the first time in years on the road with the blue bloods, we weren’t hosed and actually weren’t in the bonus. When is the last time that happened?

Agree with BAC on this, how weird is it that Indiana, Michigan and Ohio State might be playing for last place. Two of those coaches will be in trouble and I suspect Woodson will be in trouble next year.
Has to be When You’re in Love With a Beautiful Woman or Sexy Eyes

Reactions: BossNJ
1st half a lot of open 3's for Michigan and confusion in Rutgers D on rotations. Still too many misses at the rim

Mag saved the game in that first half or we would have been out of it by halftime. After a couple duds, he really stepped up huge when the team needed him

Simpson overall the best game of the season. Eventually he had to have a good shooting game, and it finally happened. Let's hope this is the start of a hot streak and not an aberration. Simpson forced things less. Yes there were still a couple of those plays, but only a couple. You can live with it when he is making shots

I was actually more impressed with his mentality today then his shooting line. He was really looking to find his teammates and distribute more. It feels like he had his head up more and was seeing the court. This is huge for his development. The effort is always there with Simpson. If he can figure out how to shoot better consistently and continue to be a better distributor, he can be a real weapon. Would love to see Simpson have a break out finish to the season

J Will... what a stud. He missed a few at the rim that hopefully is more to do with rust then him just being yet another Rutgers player who can't finish. He attacks the rim well off the dribble. Loves the euro. That one drive wrap around pass to Cliff for a dunk was Paul-esque. His defense energy and effort are all great. This team is now even better defensively. If he can help improve the offense as well, Rutgers is going to be a very dangerous team that no one will want to play

Cliff was huge. I love it when Cliff and the team as a whole attacks the offensive glass. When we do, we win

Ogbole debut... he's very raw. Some sketchy moments, but he's a huge athletic man. Wonder if he will continue to play over Wolf or if that was just a matchup specific game. Missed a layup that he should be dunking. FT form looked surprisingly good. He looked a little lost at times, but it's his first game at this level coming off an injury so I don't think anyone should grade him too hard until we see more

Hyatt 18 min 0-4 from 3. We saw Hyatt tank down the stretch last season and play his way to the bottom of the rotation. He was having a better season this year. It would be a shame if we see the same thing this season. J Will's minutes have to come at the expense of someone...

Noah A Will and Oskar will likely be the odd men out. Hyatt reduced minutes. Wolf is TBD but there isnt enough backup minutes to share behind Cliff at the 5 unless he gets in early foul trouble or injured

Last edited:
They looked like a different team the last 15 minutes of the game. For the game, forced 19 turnovers and only committed 9. Rebounded well with a 40-32 advantage. Relatively speaking shot the ball well with Simpson, Mag and Cliff all contributing. Had 12 assists on 27 makes. Not sure if that is a high number for them or not.

Michigan certainly helped the cause and their fan base must be disgusted but I would have never thought this edition of Rutgers Basketball would have been the first to earn a W in Ann Arbor. Will need to see more to change my outlook on how this season will finish but give them credit for sticking with it and getting it done down the stretch to close this one out.

Reactions: RUBlackout
They looked like a different team the last 15 minutes of the game. For the game, forced 19 turnovers and only committed 9. Rebounded well with a 40-32 advantage. Relatively speaking shot the ball well with Simpson, Mag and Cliff all contributing. Had 12 assists on 27 makes. Not sure if that is a high number for them or not.

Michigan certainly helped the cause and their fan base must be disgusted but I would have never thought this edition of Rutgers Basketball would have been the first to earn a W in Ann Arbor. Will need to see more to change my outlook on how this season will finish but give them credit for sticking with it and getting it done down the stretch to close this one out.
The biggest thing is can they keep it up. They looked like a different team in the second half against Nebraska, too.

Reactions: Wagram97
The biggest thing is can they keep it up. They looked like a different team in the second half against Nebraska, too.

We did but it was different. Winning the Nebraska game required an atypically strong 3 point shooting performance. We hit 11 three pointers in that game on 38% shooting (10 whole percent above our average from the perimeter). Yesterday we found a way to win despite 15% shooting from 3 (13% below our average).

We were better from the FT line, but that’s more a product of who got to the line rather than chance. We were also on the road and went to the line less.

Austin minutes have to go down. Can't miss foul shots all the time.

Hopefully Noah never plays another minute. A Williams plays good defense and attacks at least, just struggles to finish. If Derek is going cold we can now sit him. J Mike and J Williams should get the bulk of the minutes. Let Derek come off the bench.

Happy with the win. Still too many nonsense shots, especially early, but there was also some good offense (caveat: Michigan's defense is Iowa-level bad). Hyatt particularly had some nice looks from three that resulted from ball movement, he just didn't hit any of them.

Pretty much any win this team is capable of getting is going to feel like fool's gold. Either Rutgers will hit a high number of shots that they usually miss, or the opponent will miss a high number of shots they normally hit. But I'll take anything. I like Pikiell leaning into the future. Sharing the game is contagious -- how about Williams' dumpoff to Cliff at the end?
JWilliams added size, energy and physicality that's been so sorely missing with the forwards. Most notably , as you've pointed out , for once nice to see JW handoff to a trailer when breaking for the basket. The guards, especially Simpson, have often played very selfishly. Also , Mag must have been hurting the past two games. He looked much more active and athletic than in past games.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
We finally looked like a team in the second half of the game. We have been lacking that for awhile now. I truly hope that becomes consistent now as I feel we can surprise a lot of teams.

With Ogbole and JWill back, I agree it's going to be interesting to see how playing time works. In reality, you don't really want to play more than 10 guys in a game. But I doubt it will be the same 10 guys each time. Pike likes matchups so if he thinks A Will, Noah, Wolf, or Oskar create an advantage, they may play. I think you're looking at playing time as:

1. Cliff
2. Mag
3. Simpson
4. JWill
5. JMike
6. Hyatt
Spots 7-10 mix and match Griffiths, Ogbole, A Will, Noah, Wolf, and Oskar. There will be games where 2-3 of these guys get 0-5 minutes.

Where I could be wrong is if Pike decides to play Griffiths come hell or high water. He's an important piece for the future and clearly needs more experience.

Reactions: RC71 and Degaz-RU
We did but it was different. Winning the Nebraska game required an atypically strong 3 point shooting performance. We hit 11 three pointers in that game on 38% shooting (10 whole percent above our average from the perimeter). Yesterday we found a way to win despite 15% shooting from 3 (13% below our average).

We were better from the FT line, but that’s more a product of who got to the line rather than chance. We were also on the road and went to the line less.
Yesterday we got an atypically strong two point shooting performance. Hopefully Jeremiah raises the floor there.

Reactions: Scangg
Yesterday we got an atypically strong two point shooting performance. Hopefully Jeremiah raises the floor there.

If we have a game where we win because shoot decent:

From 3
Or
from FT line
Or
2PT field goals

Wouldn’t any of them be classified as atypically strong that game?

• Haha
Reactions: RUChoppin
If we have a game where we win because shoot decent:

From 3
Or
from FT line
Or
2PT field goals

Wouldn’t any of them be classified as atypically strong that game?
Considering that we're 358th in effective FG%... Yes.

I don’t get how the OP could shit all over the team in the first half and then wax poetic about them after the game. I try not to ever criticize the guys who go all out for the team like Simpson but OP kills everyone

JWill’s play was contagious. We cannot underestimate what he brought to the game yesterday. It’s like the rest of the team suddenly said to themselves “so that’s how you pass the ball” and “that’s how you drive to the basket”. It’s as if they didn’t follow his lead they would be embarrassed. Starting JWill also completely changed Pike’s rotations…..for the better. I personally didn’t think JWill would have made such a difference but he led by his actions and his teammates followed his lead

You can’t exactly look at it like that. To our teams credit - we rarely take contested 3s we just can’t make them at a high rate when open. Nebraska was a statistical aberration there.

The reason we made more 2s yesterday is not related to chance. We made a couple mid range shots but also missed plenty of them - the key was better decisions mostly attributable to the addition of Jeremiah.

I think the biggest difference with the addition of J Williams was his unselfishness.
Cliff, Hyatt, Mag and Noah all hold the ball too long. They all seem to pass when their options to shoot have been exhausted. J Williams is a basketball player, he seemed to make the players around him better.
I didn't expect Noah to be a selfish player when he committed but he surprised me
Hyatt has always been the way and Mag and Cliff can be the same way

Noah will still be valuable to team this year, even if only for game ending free-throws in offense/defense situations..

The test now is to take the second half performance to Maryland and come home with another road win .

You can’t exactly look at it like that. To our teams credit - we rarely take contested 3s we just can’t make them at a high rate when open. Nebraska was a statistical aberration there.

The reason we made more 2s yesterday is not related to chance. We made a couple mid range shots but also missed plenty of them - the key was better decisions mostly attributable to the addition of Jeremiah.
I think a big part of the reason is that Michigan's defense is horrible. Willing to change my opinion if the offense looks okay against Maryland.

I think a big part of the reason is that Michigan's defense is horrible. Willing to change my opinion if the offense looks okay against Maryland.

Oh for sure, it absolutely could be. To be clear, all I was saying is that the “great” performance vs Nebraska was reliant on strong relative 3 point shooting which I attribute almost entirely to chance. Most teams give us plenty of room to shoot threes. Shot selection isn’t the reason we miss them. It’s that we’re statistically poor at them - even when open. That day was an outlier.

You could point to better FT shooting vs Michigan I guess but the argument would have to be the “who is fouled” is a product of chance which I’m not sure I agree with. We’re good from the line when Simpson takes the shots and poor when Davis and Austin take them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT