ADVERTISEMENT

What is it this team in the last 3 games and moving forward?

Goku

All American
Jul 25, 2001
I think there are a lot of supporting arguments for why this team now has us excited, when about 2 weeks ago, the Penn State game left us all so disgusted that our 2 biggest post-game analysts (Degas and Bac) couldn't even muster a post-game review. And is this team now truly transformed, or can that Penn State/Stonehedge team return to disappoint again? Here are my humble thoughts, but I'm sure there are many more astute points that more knowledgeable fans can include.

1. I think the Penn State loss may have ignited their character. Last year, the men beat down Penn State and their coach challenged their character, and that team responded with a great run that got them to the Big Dance. Maybe that January 31 loss can be the catalyst for our guys as well.

2. JWill. Obviously his addition has been crucial, but I don't think it is everything. But it is a lot. I've been trying to find the comparison for his presence on the floor and I have thought of a few ones. He's a better Paul. He does everything Paul would do on a good night. Score, drive, dish, rebound. He reminds me of the role Jimmy Butler plays on the Heat as well.

3. We have a legit backup center now in Ogbole. He gets his 12-15 minutes and keeps Cliff fresh.

4. Jwill's addition now has put every player in their correct place not his team. The starting 5 makes sense finally. Jwill takes pressure off of Mag. Cliff now gets fed in the paint like he never has all year. Jmike and Simpson have another trusted ball-handler on the floor. The bench players now have better roles and the hot hand can take over. Hyatt is better off of the bench. Fernandes as well. Gavin doesn't need to worry about scoring and can just come out and give maximum effort and develop.

5. 3-pt shooting has more options and scenarios. Whoever is the hot hand gets the minutes and the glory on any given night. It doesn't need to be anyone. It could be Hyatt one night, Fernandes on another. And maybe it will be Gavin on a certain night in the upcoming weeks. Whoever is the hot hand gets the extra time and points to help us win.

6. Fewer/shorter scoring droughts. Maybe someone can get the metrics on this, but it seems like these are being reduced. Maybe it's the Jwill addition that's doing it? One thing I loved about Yeboah on that 2019-2020 team was he was so good at getting an easy 2 in the paint to stop scoring droughts. It seems like a few guys are getting better at stopping scoring droughts.

That's all I have, but I'm sure there are more ideas out there.

I think there are a lot of supporting arguments for why this team now has us excited, when about 2 weeks ago, the Penn State game left us all so disgusted that our 2 biggest post-game analysts (Degas and Bac) couldn't even muster a post-game review. And is this team now truly transformed, or can that Penn State/Stonehedge team return to disappoint again? Here are my humble thoughts, but I'm sure there are many more astute points that more knowledgeable fans can include.

1. I think the Penn State loss may have ignited their character. Last year, the men beat down Penn State and their coach challenged their character, and that team responded with a great run that got them to the Big Dance. Maybe that January 31 loss can be the catalyst for our guys as well.

2. JWill. Obviously his addition has been crucial, but I don't think it is everything. But it is a lot. I've been trying to find the comparison for his presence on the floor and I have thought of a few ones. He's a better Paul. He does everything Paul would do on a good night. Score, drive, dish, rebound. He reminds me of the role Jimmy Butler plays on the Heat as well.

3. We have a legit backup center now in Ogbole. He gets his 12-15 minutes and keeps Cliff fresh.

4. Jwill's addition now has put every player in their correct place not his team. The starting 5 makes sense finally. Jwill takes pressure off of Mag. Cliff now gets fed in the paint like he never has all year. Jmike and Simpson have another trusted ball-handler on the floor. The bench players now have better roles and the hot hand can take over. Hyatt is better off of the bench. Fernandes as well. Gavin doesn't need to worry about scoring and can just come out and give maximum effort and develop.

5. 3-pt shooting has more options and scenarios. Whoever is the hot hand gets the minutes and the glory on any given night. It doesn't need to be anyone. It could be Hyatt one night, Fernandes on another. And maybe it will be Gavin on a certain night in the upcoming weeks. Whoever is the hot hand gets the extra time and points to help us win.

6. Fewer/shorter scoring droughts. Maybe someone can get the metrics on this, but it seems like these are being reduced. Maybe it's the Jwill addition that's doing it? One thing I loved about Yeboah on that 2019-2020 team was he was so good at getting an easy 2 in the paint to stop scoring droughts. It seems like a few guys are getting better at stopping scoring droughts.

All good thoughts but the most blatant obvious thing is the reduction in turnovers. I have already posted on another thread the ridiculous 12 and 10 turnovers on the first half of Maryland and Michigan reduced to 2 at Michigan and 3 at Maryland , which led to over 50% shooting second halves and 1.13 and 1.22 PPP. Only 6-7 total turnovers against Wisconsin and 5 in the first half and only 1-2 in second half and 44% overall but 59% from three point land.
Cutting turnovers to a minimum , 2-3 per half max , running our offense , playing our elite defense with Cliff swatting everything , gives us a chance against anyone home or away.
In the Wisconsin game there were only about 4 or so really bad shots , JMike out of control trying to get to the rim , Derek also one time to the rim , and another time he shot a 12 footer half set instead of lobbing to Cliff for the flush, and Mag driving from the wing and losing dribble and throwing up ridiculous shot. If we limit those type of possessions and shot attempts , we really will give teams trouble.
Pushing the ball but under control and Derek and JMike looking to pass instead of shoot like Jeremiah Williams did in the first half against Wisconsin getting those 6 assists , will make the offense more efficient and also problematic for our adversary.
We now have a go to guy in Jeremiah that will take the big shot or dish for a great shot when we need a basket . That was missing all year. He makes everyone better and capable of impacting the game.

Reactions: tm_nj

It’s all about JWill.

Watching RU play before he (and to a lesser extent, Ogbole) started playing, it seemed like we had a lot of decent moving parts giving great effort, but we were missing a key ingredient.

Once we put Jeremiah Williams into the mix, the brew of our team became more potent. Now we’re all getting drunk on it, and the excitement is back.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg and DirtyRU
I do think our defense has taken another step up after the PSU game.

PSU was relentless against us. Maybe Pike challenged the team to give the effort PSU put in against us.

On offense, good things happen with JWill when the ball is in his hands. Fouls drawn, makes by him, feeds to cliff for 6 inch shots, feeds to others for good looks, offensive rebounds and put backs off JWill misses.

When the ball is in some players hands, there aren't a lot of good things that happen.

Last edited:
It’s all about JWill.

Watching RU play before he (and to a lesser extent, Ogbole) started playing, it seemed like we had a lot of decent moving parts giving great effort, but we were missing a key ingredient.

Once we put Jeremiah Williams into the mix, the brew of our team became more potent. Now we’re all getting drunk on it, and the excitement is back.
Me drinking the Rutgers post JWill Kool-Aid

Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT