ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Fails on Multiple Fronts Is Why We Are BAD this year

I agree with almost everything you have written here. A good coach adapts his schemes to the strengths of his players. For one Griffith can't get himself open for 3 pointers. Where are the plays to accomplish this? Our guards save for one are not good 2 person pick and rolls players. Iowa has most players on the move on offense. RU has 1 player at each baseline corner just standing still; a 2 man game at the top of the key; and another player near the basket. There is no constant movement and picks trying to get someone like Gavin open for a squared up shot. Obviously, these players don't fit the current scheme being played on offense.
Setting screens for good shooters is offense 101.

Wayyy too much standing and watching. No one ever is cutting. There are no off ball screens of any kind really. Even when it looks like we run some sort of set, the players look like they are going through a walk through instead of with purpose
Some of this ..goes back to roster construction. We really have no one other than mag who can set a good screen and then roll to potential make someone pay

Cliff sets okay screens …not great

No one else can set a screen.

When we are limited on who can set a screen , it changes a lot of how we can play offense

Griffiths was supposed to be the replacement for Spencer's 3 point shooting.The experiment so far has been a failure for the player and the team.
This is a fallacy beyond all fallacies. You want multiple shooters on the floor not one lone unproven one.

Seems like a lot of people forgot already how it took Simpson a period of time to adjust as a freshman before he finally started flashing as a freshman towards the end of last year. Gavin is going through that right now. He will eventually start to find his shot and come out of this funk. This is why anyone talking of him being a one and done type was way off base.

Gavin is 100% a portal risk at this point

In today's game, everyone is. There is plenty of season left though. If he finds life at some point I'd fully expect him back. If it keeps going like this...

Thankfully we have the #3 class in the country coming in next year including guys who can create offense.

Ultimately that’s the difference. We have never kept pace with the rest of the BIG when recruiting and it’s more clear now than ever us.

Griffiths scored 25 points against Boston U. The offense was running for him then. I would say that this is confidence related and freshmen woes related. I agree that he could benefit from a different type of offense mindset, but the people who think he can't function and succeed on this team this year are wrong.

Iowa absolutely would take him. Fran knows Pike is an offensively challenged coach. This isn’t some secret that Pike doesn’t know what he’s doing offensively. We’ve won games due to incredible effort defensively, rebounding and clutch one on one play offensively.
I'm sorry, but Pike isn't responsible for Gavin missing multiple open looks. That's on the player

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT