ADVERTISEMENT

New Gov and RU

RUNVA

Senior
Jan 26, 2002
Living out of state I have lost touch with much of the political mess that surrounds NJ. What is the take on the new Governor and his feeling towards RU?

First, this probably ought to be on the Current Events board, and I encourage the moderators to move it there.

I don't believe Governor-elect Murphy has said *anything* about Rutgers. He seems to have a lot of other prioritie (e.g. pre-kindergarten) , and he thinks NJ should significantly raise taxes to pay for them. But there is no way he will get the legislature (even a Democratic legislature) to increase taxes enough for his wish list. We will see what he actually accomplishes.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I voted for Murphy but very reluctantly.

I do know the new Gov is on the side of saving Meadowlands and Monmouth Park. There will be gambling at those place during his term. NJ is tired of propping up AC only to see the local government stealing money.

Reactions: lintempr and RUpop
Agreed this should be on the CE board. Until it is...

The Governor-elect's comments give one pause, as he proudly stated that he had called Jerry Brown and 'wanted NJ to be the east coast's CA' in terms of taxes, progressive policies and sanctuary issues. Not sure that's a great model...

Christie ran his course and let everyone down in a major way. After the backlash, now NJ's citizens have to deal with a guy who wants to raise billions in taxes to pay for all of the promises he made during the campaign to everyone who'd listen.

I do know the new Gov is on the side of saving Meadowlands and Monmouth Park. There will be gambling at those place during his term. NJ is tired of propping up AC only to see the local government stealing money.

As I remember, the voters of New Jersey massively rejected recently a constitutional amendment to allow gambling outside of Atlantic City. Even North Jersey didn't support it.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Living out of state I have lost touch with much of the political mess that surrounds NJ. What is the take on the new Governor and his feeling towards RU?
He's a Norcross/ Sweeny puppet. Sweeny wants to control Rutgers governing board. Look for him to make another run at it now with his puppet in office.

Sounds good, move it to CE. Hope he works out for NJ and the school. Thank you for posting.

moving my seats back to the home side in anticipation of major weed shotguns coming out of the cannon post scores! :boom:[smoke] #HIGHPoint Stadium...

Could me a major incentive to improve student attendance... although I would think the place would become a bit more chill on 3rd downs...

He's a Norcross/ Sweeny puppet. Sweeny wants to control Rutgers governing board. Look for him to make another run at it now with his puppet in office.

What is your basis for thinking that Murphy, who has a *lot* of money, owes anything to Norcross/Sweeney? It's not as though Murphy is from South Jersey. Moreover, Christie was with Sweeney in trying to reduce Rutgers' independence. I can't see it making much difference that a Democratic governor is in office instead of Christie.

What is your basis for thinking that Murphy, who has a *lot* of money, owes anything to Norcross/Sweeney? It's not as though Murphy is from South Jersey. Moreover, Christie was with Sweeney in trying to reduce Rutgers' independence. I can't see it making much difference that a Democratic governor is in office instead of Christie.

Murphy doesn't owe anybody anything. There were no favors exchanged in securing the nomination. Murphy laundered $10 million across all the county chairs and locked up the ballot positions. He did the same thing with the major unions, to get their endorsements.

Sadly, politics in America has become the ultimate bastardization of the Golden Rule. Murphy has much gold.

Murphy is in bed with Norcross. He cut a deal with him to keep Sweeney out of the primaries and now will collect his payback. Norcross wants full control or increased control of RU Camden, so let's see what happens.

A vote for Murphy was a vote against RU.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Corzine became a tool of Norcross, and had lots more money than Murphy. Norcross controls enough state Dems to block any item and got Prieto dumped as Speaker. His power should not be underestimated.

When Norcross blocked Prieto's AC Takeover bill in the NJ General Assembly, a senior North NJ Dem Assemblyman was quoted saying something like - I knew Norcross was powerful, but I never imagined that he controlled so much.

You can set your watch to this happened soon.

Murphy is in bed with Norcross. He cut a deal with him to keep Sweeney out of the primaries and now will collect his payback. Norcross wants full control or increased control of RU Camden, so let's see what happens.

Well, there's no evidence that a vote for Guadagno would have been in any sense a vote for Rutgers, since her platform was to somehow mysteriously find over $1 billion in "waste." As for Sweeney, have you ever taken a good look at him? Can you see someone as fat and unattractive as doing well on TV? I agree Murphy is not exactly Adonis, but at least he doesn't look gross.

OP asked how Murphy's election will affect RU. People are going off on a tangent with the weed and the taxation. It's remarkable that through the entire election process, the governor-elect said not a single thing about the flagship state U. Not good. Does he know there's a state U?

Well, there's no evidence that a vote for Guadagno would have been in any sense a vote for Rutgers, since her platform was to somehow mysteriously find over $1 billion in "waste." As for Sweeney, have you ever taken a good look at him? Can you see someone as fat and unattractive as doing well on TV? I agree Murphy is not exactly Adonis, but at least he doesn't look gross.

Reminds me of somebody, I just can't place my finger on him(it's Christie).

Reactions: retired711
Reminds me of somebody, I just can't place my finger on him(it's Christie).

Thanks for the laugh. You're right, but Sweeney looks even worse than Christie, and I admit that takes a lot.

Everybody also should remember that Sweeney got into a feud with the New Jersey Educational Association, the teachers. (Sweeney might actually have been on the right side in that one!) NJEA opposition would have been a problem in a statewide Democratic primary.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
FWIW he grew up in Massachusetts. I don’t know how well the state supports the state universities. Athletics wouldn’t seem to be as big a priority as I’d suspect it was in other states. He went to Harvard and Wharton. I can’t just simply based on those facts but they don’t sound like qualities that suggest he’d be a big ru asset.

LMAO

Look at all the GOP did for RU, like when Christie reduced our funding to 1990s levels and consulted with Mike Brey about shutting the bball program down.

The only one who had a deal with Norcross was Christie himself.

Nothing better than watching you and the two others left in the Christie fan club try to defend him. And you won't even get your nickel a post to do it anymore! Sad!

LMAO

Look at all the GOP did for RU, like when Christie reduced our funding to 1990s levels and consulted with Mike Brey about shutting the bball program down.

The only one who had a deal with Norcross was Christie himself.

Nothing better than watching you and the two others left in the Christie fan club try to defend him. And you won't even get your nickel a post to do it anymore! Sad!

to be fair, Corzine was pretty bad for Rutgers too. It was he who got us down to 1990 levels; Christie just kept us there. You may remember, in fact, that McCormick got into a feud with Corzine about appropriations, which didn't do RU any good at all.

Thanks for the laugh. You're right, but Sweeney looks even worse than Christie, and I admit that takes a lot.

Everybody also should remember that Sweeney got into a feud with the New Jersey Educational Association, the teachers. (Sweeney might actually have been on the right side in that one!) NJEA opposition would have been a problem in a statewide Democratic primary.
Sweeney wouldn't be anything without Norcross, not even a parking officer in his hometown. Norcross essentially created him.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Murphy doesn't owe anybody anything. There were no favors exchanged in securing the nomination. Murphy laundered $10 million across all the county chairs and locked up the ballot positions. He did the same thing with the major unions, to get their endorsements.

Sadly, politics in America has become the ultimate bastardization of the Golden Rule. Murphy has much gold.

Agree. NJ politics is so corrupt that Murphy had bought this election two years ago. Totally disgusting if it wasn’t business as usual in NJ.

Murphy estimates that the state will collect 300M per year on taxes from recreational marijuana sales.

He claims that this will be plowed back into education.

This is funny, and you're not far off. Its a popularity contest at this level, and if even on a subconscious level, you'll go a lot further if you're not repulsive to look at.

I do think that Murphy looks like Fire Marshal Bill, though.

Reactions: retired711
to be fair, Corzine was pretty bad for Rutgers too. It was he who got us down to 1990 levels; Christie just kept us there. You may remember, in fact, that McCormick got into a feud with Corzine about appropriations, which didn't do RU any good at all.

Yeah, he was bad. But yet Christie managed to be worse. I believe it was lower than the 1994 budget what he tried- and then he targeted the professor who issued a redistricting map he did not like to have them lose all their funding.

Corzine did donate to the stadium expansion; Christie considered closing the bball program.

Reactions: BLewis1968
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT