ADVERTISEMENT

New Orange Bowl Chief is a Rutgers Man

srru86

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Miami Herald
Q&A with Michael Chavies, head of the Orange Bowl Committee
"Q. You were involved in sports in college. Tell us about that. Why did you give up sports?

A. I played football and baseball at Rutgers for two years each. I was a starting pitcher on the baseball team and was slated to start at defensive back my junior year. However, I stopped playing both sports to concentrate on academics. I wanted to go to law school, and knew that I needed to improve my grades in order to be accepted. I have nothing but great memories of my days as an athlete at Rutgers."

More interesting stuff in the link.

Have to wonder how many athletes would take this route today.

The rules for who qualifies as a Rutgers letterwinner has changed in different eras. Also, the record keeping on Rutgers part could be a little more thorough. Some former athletes have called in to complain that they had won letters at RU but they are not on the appropriate lists.

By the way, Michael Chavies wore #11 according to the Rutgers game rosters in the 1968 football season.

He's been an Orange Bowl rep for quite some time. I've talked to him a number of times in the tailgate lots and last year on the field pre-game. He want's nothing more than for RU to be able to make it to the Orange Bowl.

The rules for who qualifies as a Rutgers letterwinner has changed in different eras. Also, the record keeping on Rutgers part could be a little more thorough. Some former athletes have called in to complain that they had won letters at RU but they are not on the appropriate lists.

By the way, Michael Chavies wore #11 according to the Rutgers game rosters in the 1968 football season.

Ok, because he isn't shown as a letterwinner in either football or baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT