ADVERTISEMENT

New Volleyball HC named

I read the article and I checked out Northeastern website. 15-14 last year.
This hire's not a Home Run in my eyes. But, it's Volleyball, our worse performing
team in the last few years. Change was needed. We'll see how this works out.

any improvement is welcome.

We were 8-23 last season

and that was one of our best seasons in a long time!!!!

Not blown away with this hire. Volleyball needs a lot of work with facilities though (playing in the CAG is embarrassing) so I would've been amazed if Hobbs made an ace hire. I'm expecting Hobbs to give her more time than other Olympic coaches (5 years or so) just due to the fact that volleyball is so far behind the other B1G schools.

Last edited:
I read the article and I checked out Northeastern website. 15-14 last year.
This hire's not a Home Run in my eyes. But, it's Volleyball, our worse performing
team in the last few years. Change was needed. We'll see how this works out.

Did you miss the part that a year earlier she was coach of the year in the Atlantic 10??

Women’s VB is a sport we should exit but we won’t due to T9. We are so far behind, it is so massively competitive in the B1G and in the best of circumstances our realistic upside is average at best.

She replaced a guy at the Northeastern who had been there for 19 years. His last three seasons were 20-11, 17-13 and 16-14. She takes over, goes 15-14 in the CAA and gets hired to coach in the toughest conference. Why do I feel that she wasn't exactly Plan A, B, or C?

Hope she hires a Fran Brown clone to recruit. At LaSalle her roster was mostly local kids but her one recruiting class at Northeastern had kids from California, Texas, Georgia and others. The RU roster this year was mainly Serbia, Russia, and Germany.

Seems young, hungry, and driven.

And this caught my eye.

"Schweihofer was also actively engaged in fundraising efforts for the program at LaSalle, helping to oversee a 650% increase in funding, including $40,000 for locker room renovations. "
That was overlooked by me. If she can team up with Hobbs to fundraise, that'll help tremendously.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
She is a good coach. Give her a chance to get established. Don’t get so caught up in records when it comes to judging a volleyball coach. Look at the difficultly of the schedule, then the scores of the matches, and then the scores of each game in the match. Yes ultimately wins and losses are how she will be judged but in volleyball you can have a bad record but play good volleyball. She had a young team with only 3 seniors. She was building. The key is she recruits nationally and particularly California. CJ’s issue was he didn’t recruit New Jersey and didn’t recruit American players. There are 8-10 clubs across the country that are a must for a coach to get a foot in the door with. If she can land 1of the top NJ girls each year and then bring in 2 California players each year while mixing in the rest of the big volleyball states she will do well. She needs a complete roster of 18-20 players. If her roster is made up of 4-5 NJ players, 4-5 California players and then a mix of the other states to include Texas, Florida, DC area, she will be on target to build a program and win games in the big 10. I like the hire. Not the first choice I am sure but pretty good.

She is a good coach. Give her a chance to get established. Don’t get so caught up in records when it comes to judging a volleyball coach. Look at the difficultly of the schedule, then the scores of the matches, and then the scores of each game in the match. Yes ultimately wins and losses are how she will be judged but in volleyball you can have a bad record but play good volleyball. She had a young team with only 3 seniors. She was building. The key is she recruits nationally and particularly California. CJ’s issue was he didn’t recruit New Jersey and didn’t recruit American players. There are 8-10 clubs across the country that are a must for a coach to get a foot in the door with. If she can land 1of the top NJ girls each year and then bring in 2 California players each year while mixing in the rest of the big volleyball states she will do well. She needs a complete roster of 18-20 players. If her roster is made up of 4-5 NJ players, 4-5 California players and then a mix of the other states to include Texas, Florida, DC area, she will be on target to build a program and win games in the big 10. I like the hire. Not the first choice I am sure but pretty good.

Excellent post.

As long as she recruits the West coast for players there are none better than in Hawaii... Great tradition of placing top players in schools known for ladies volleyball ... football throughout the state has risen to better than average... talk about kids leaving their state for better things...Hawaii has supplied many mainland teams with talent for years especially at QB’s and lineman on both sides of the ball... B1G island types who also by the culture are usually good students and people .

Reactions: bigmatt718
As long as she recruits the West coast for players there are none better than in Hawaii... Great tradition of placing top players in schools known for ladies volleyball ... football throughout the state has risen to better than average... talk about kids leaving their state for better things...Hawaii has supplied many mainland teams with talent for years especially at QB’s and lineman on both sides of the ball... B1G island types who also by the culture are usually good students and people .

Hawaii?? You can pick a couple counties in California and find everything you need for a successful program.

Yes Nuts Hawaii ...I have watched many California / West Coast volleyball teams over the years and plenty of kids from the islands are on college teams out there both men’s and women’s ... not saying you have to but she probably has connections to that area... Hawaii as most should know has great sports programs ... if they kept the kids home they would be pretty competitive against many teams especially Football , Baseball and Men’s and Women’s Volleyball...having said that Rutgers would do well to check out Hawaii in football just for example QB’s and linemen both O n D sides... you never know ... ask Alabama, UCF ,and several other very good programs not on the West Coast.

Reactions: rucoe89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT