ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano to redshirt this year

Not good for the program, right?
On the contrary, the upside can be a fantastic recruiting tool. Sure, we will miss a returning national champ in the lineup, but truthfully, this season's lineup is going to be young and will most likely be somewhat of a developmental type year for all these young guys. Will just make the lineup for the 2020-2021 season that much stronger. And remember, it isn't confirmed yet that he will in fact miss the entire season. Willie Saylor seems to think he could pull a Kyle Snyder (i.e., comes back for the 2nd semester and competes at Big Tens and NCAAs).

On the contrary, the upside can be a fantastic recruiting tool. Sure, we will miss a returning national champ in the lineup, but truthfully, this season's lineup is going to be young and will most likely be somewhat of a developmental type year for all these young guys. Will just make the lineup for the 2020-2021 season that much stronger. And remember, it isn't confirmed yet that he will in fact miss the entire season. Willie Saylor seems to think he could pull a Kyle Snyder (i.e., comes back for the 2nd semester and competes at Big Tens and NCAAs).
Suriano will come back in January if he doesn't qualify for Tokyo. If he does, he'll RS all season and come back to a loaded team in 2020-21.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Nov 15-16 in NYC is a Olympic trials qualifying event and Dec 20-22 in Texas is another. Look for Nick to compete in both if he doesn't qualify for the trials he will be back at Rutgers in January

For the Olympic trials, yes. But, not for Tokyo. He would need to win the trials to qualify for Tokyo.

That's what I meant, as in, if he doesn't qualify for the Olympic trials then he would be able to enroll in January

how does the trials work?

is it like the NYC event is like a quarterfinals, Texas event is like a semifinals, and the official trials is the finals event?

or is it that if you are in top 2 to 3 of the NY or Texas event you automatically make the official trials?

RUfinal4-here is the qualification process. There are multiple ways to get to Penn State on April 4-5th. The trials are almost like two tournaments, you have all the guys that qualified and the World team members(starts next week) that medal in an Olympic weight will get a bye to finals. 57, 65, 74, 86, 97 and Hwt. So if Burroughs medals he will get a bye and wrestle the winner of the Bracket of all the guys that qualified. For a guy like Dake that is at a non olympic weight(79kg) if he medals and drops to 74kg(which is expected) he gets a bye to the semis of the bracket, so he would have to win 2 matches then wrestle Burroughs in a best of 3. Below are all the ways to Qualify for the Olympic Trials.

Any 2017, 2018 or 2019 Senior Freestyle USA World Championships participant and/or

Final World Team Trials Champion is automatically qualified to enter the 2020 U.S.Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2019 Junior World Champion August 2019

Any 2019 Junior Freestyle USA World Championships gold medalist is automatically qualified to enter the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2019 Senior World Championships September 2019

Any 2019 Senior World Championship Freestyle Medalist, at an Olympic weight, will earn an automatic berth into the final wrestle‐off (i.e., Part Two, as described in detail below) at the respective weight in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

Any 2019 Senior World Championship Freestyle Medalist, at a non‐Olympic weight, will earn an automatic berth into the semifinals (i.e., Part One, as described in detail below)

of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials ‐ Wrestling at a weight category immediately adjacent (one weight category up or down) from their 2019 Senior World Championship weight category.

2019 U23 World Champion October 2019

Any 2019 U23 Freestyle USA World Championships gold medalist is automatically qualified to enter the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2019 Bill Farrell International Open November 2019

The highest placed Senior Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal, who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials ‐ Wrestling.

2019 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifier December 2019

The Senior Freestyle top 5 finishers per weight category at the 2019 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifier will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2020 Dave Schultz Memorial International January 2020

The highest placed Senior Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal, who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2020 Pan American Championships February 2020

Any Senior Freestyle USA champion (i.e., gold medalist) will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2020 Pan American Olympic Qualifier March 2020

The Senior Freestyle USA athlete who qualifies the Olympic weight category at the Pan American Olympic Qualifier will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials –Wrestling.

NCAA Division I Championships March 2020

The 2020 NCAA Division I champion will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling at the weight category they choose.

Final U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifier March 2020

The Freestyle champion of this event per weight category will qualify for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling. Athletes who have already qualified will NOT be allowed to compete in this event.

The Freestyle champion of this event per weight category will qualify for the 2020 U.S.Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling. Athletes who have already qualified will NOT be allowed to compete in this event.

2020 US Olympic Team Trials April 4-5 2020 held at Penn State

RUfinal4-here is the qualification process. There are multiple ways to get to Penn State on April 4-5th. The trials are almost like two tournaments, you have all the guys that qualified and the World team members(starts next week) that medal in an Olympic weight will get a bye to finals. 57, 65, 74, 86, 97 and Hwt. So if Burroughs medals he will get a bye and wrestle the winner of the Bracket of all the guys that qualified. For a guy like Dake that is at a non olympic weight(79kg) if he medals and drops to 74kg(which is expected) he gets a bye to the semis of the bracket, so he would have to win 2 matches then wrestle Burroughs in a best of 3. Below are all the ways to Qualify for the Olympic Trials.

Any 2017, 2018 or 2019 Senior Freestyle USA World Championships participant and/or

Final World Team Trials Champion is automatically qualified to enter the 2020 U.S.Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2019 Junior World Champion August 2019

Any 2019 Junior Freestyle USA World Championships gold medalist is automatically qualified to enter the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

Any 2019 Senior World Championship Freestyle Medalist, at an Olympic weight, will earn an automatic berth into the final wrestle‐off (i.e., Part Two, as described in detail below) at the respective weight in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

Any 2019 Senior World Championship Freestyle Medalist, at a non‐Olympic weight, will earn an automatic berth into the semifinals (i.e., Part One, as described in detail below)

of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials ‐ Wrestling at a weight category immediately adjacent (one weight category up or down) from their 2019 Senior World Championship weight category.

2019 U23 World Champion October 2019

Any 2019 U23 Freestyle USA World Championships gold medalist is automatically qualified to enter the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2019 Bill Farrell International Open November 2019

The highest placed Senior Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal, who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials ‐ Wrestling.

2019 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifier December 2019

The Senior Freestyle top 5 finishers per weight category at the 2019 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifier will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2020 Dave Schultz Memorial International January 2020

The highest placed Senior Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal, who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2020 Pan American Championships February 2020

Any Senior Freestyle USA champion (i.e., gold medalist) will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

2020 Pan American Olympic Qualifier March 2020

The Senior Freestyle USA athlete who qualifies the Olympic weight category at the Pan American Olympic Qualifier will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials –Wrestling.

NCAA Division I Championships March 2020

The 2020 NCAA Division I champion will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling at the weight category they choose.

The Freestyle champion of this event per weight category will qualify for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling. Athletes who have already qualified will NOT be allowed to compete in this event.

The Freestyle champion of this event per weight category will qualify for the 2020 U.S.Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling. Athletes who have already qualified will NOT be allowed to compete in this event.

2020 US Olympic Team Trials April 4-5 2020 held at Penn State

I remember attending the Semi-finals for the Olympic Trials in 1992 at the Palestra in Philly. What a great event. I ended up sitting next to Dan Gable in the stands during the match. He was a nice guy to talk to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT