ADVERTISEMENT

Nike vs Adidas

RUBlackout

All American
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2008
I have not seen anything posted on this recently but heard talk that we may be moving to Nike as a school. Again only reading what some posters mentioned.

Is there any truth to this and has anyone heard anything?

Yes. I’ve heard on good authority that we’ll be moving back to Nike unless adidas significantly ups their offer. Greg wants Nike, but it’ll be Pike who’ll be able to get RU into a better tier of Nike schools if we go that route. Who would’ve ever thought.
That would be amazing. I love Nike and the entire brand around Jordan. I truly hope it happens and would be great if it were prior to this year. I highly doubt it as I would imagine something would be announced at this point

I hope so. Unless the Adidas offer is multiple times bigger than the Nike one, the Nike brand alone boosts recruiting to another level.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Adidas has Chris Ash all over it. Loved the hire at the time but now that I looked back, it was horrible. Go back to Nike

Reactions: MikeRU09
I have come to like adidas more. maybe because we let Nike give us the most disgusting football uniforms in the history of the game and I still haven't forgiven them for it. We became the "Salmon Knights" with such poor contrast that you couldn't read the numbers on the jersey.

I have come to like adidas more. maybe because we let Nike give us the most disgusting football uniforms in the history of the game and I still haven't forgiven them for it. We became the "Salmon Knights" with such poor contrast that you couldn't read the numbers on the jersey.
the reds (salmon) were rough, but the whites where legit and so were the blackout unis.

I was told that we are agreeing to a short term contract with Adidas, like 2 years if I recall.

Nike really f'd us when the last bid came up. It was laughable.

For a company that has C Vivian Stringers name on a building and she was here, that was a real slap in the face. Embarrassing actually. Makes them feel good to use her name on a building but when push came to shove, they ran.

Adidas stuff isn't great but they stepped up when no one else would. Of course things change so we will see what happens.

I personally prefer ADIDAS - not a Nike fan and will be disappointed to lose the lax uniforms - they are the best in college lacrosse.

I like being Adidas because it seems like we're important to them AND it fits the Rutgers, chip on the shoulder, personality.

Anybody here ever wear Spot Bilt? I had a pair of Spot Bilt baseball spikes back in high school.
Spot Bilt nearly became the home of Air Jordans.

p.s. Interesting tidbit in the article. Jordan wanted to sign with Adidas and THEY turned HIM down. Crazy

Reactions: tm_nj
Am I the only one who thinks Greg should have zero say in this?

Basketball drives the bus now
He won't even be employed at Rutgers in 3 years. Not only should he have zero say, he shouldn't even be acknowledged

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
This is starting to have the feel from back in the day of switching back and forth between Verizon FIOS and Comcast to get a new deal every 2 years. Pendulum swings one way and then the other.

Probably could dig up thread(s) on this board from when Rutgers went to Adidas a few years ago after Nike bent Rutgers over a barrel and treated it as an afterthought at contract negotiation time. Many folks were singing Adidas' praises after the Nike football uniform debacle and also because Adidas had become the hot brand, at least in the sneaker category, with the trendiest looks after hiring shoe designers away from Nike and UA, I believe.

This is not even a choice. If the deals are remotely close - and even if Nike is a bit less, you roll with the swoosh. Cultural credibility aside, the grassroots ecosystems and networks backed by Nike blow away anything adidas or any other brand currently supports or even has plans to support. The resources are not even close. As Nike gets more active in the NIL space, trust that you will want to be part of that ecosystem as collegiate athletics continues to evolve. EYBL, Made Hoops etc all will continue to take on more and more meaning. It's amazing the staff has been landing or involved with as many Nike kids as they have. That is 100% a nod to how strong the relationships are.

Last edited:
Trust me, Nike will help with NIL if you’re winning. Rutgers was a horrible brand with Kyle Flood, Julie Herman, Eddie Jordan, and Chris Ash. You lost 78-0 on national television. Football and basketball are trending up. It’s inevitable anyway because if Phil Knight is using his apparel kingdom to get Oregon in the 10, then every school will be Nike with a conference apparel deal like the NFL and NBA has. That’s great for Rutgers financially.

Yes. I’ve heard on good authority that we’ll be moving back to Nike unless adidas significantly ups their offer. Greg wants Nike, but it’ll be Pike who’ll be able to get RU into a better tier of Nike schools if we go that route. Who would’ve ever thought.
Pike will have the ultimate say I feel on the Nike vs Adidas decision. Just another example of how RU has become a basketball school.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Am I the only one who thinks Greg should have zero say in this?

Basketball drives the bus now
Lol yeah because if it was up to him, we'd be still in the year 2005 and the only sport at the school would be a middling football team and every other sport would be a joke.

Trust me, Nike will help with NIL if you’re winning. Rutgers was a horrible brand with Kyle Flood, Julie Herman, Eddie Jordan, and Chris Ash. You lost 78-0 on national television. Football and basketball are trending up. It’s inevitable anyway because if Phil Knight is using his apparel kingdom to get Oregon in the 10, then every school will be Nike with a conference apparel deal like the NFL and NBA has. That’s great for Rutgers financially.
That's a good point regarding Oregon. Phil Knight will get Oregon and as a result Washington into the B1G come hell or high water. That could mean the entire conference be under the Nike brand with the exception of Maryland/UA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT