ADVERTISEMENT

NIL bill expected in House would provide legal help sought by NCAA-Update- New Bill Introduced July 25, 2023

This poorly-constructed website will not let me edit my post, so let me add a reply. He is not being paid for the value he is bringing to the school. Rather, the school was profiting from his name, likeness and image by being able to market it and not give him a penny. of its profit. The difference now is that he is being paid for what he is producing just like everybody else.
This is how it's intended to work, and I'd be in favor of a system that allows players to profit off their own NIL, however impossible it is in real life to regulate. This is absolutely not what is happening currently. Players are being paid to sign a NLI and to stay.

"Name Image Likeness" actually means the value of a player to a school. It ain't for sitting on the bench. As the SCOTUS described compensation in Alston, it is to "closely match the value of their athletic services" and to " allow student-athletes a measure of compensation more consistent with the value they bring to their schools."

Bobby Benchwarmer does not bring any value to the school sitting on the bench. Big deal that he worked in the gym. Lot's of young people work in the gym and don't get paid for it. NIL, as other have described it is earning compensation based on a players "athletic or public prowess."

Sure, if a school or a collective wants to pay Bobby Benchwarmer for playing for their school, good for him, but it should not be for much money. Your Taylor Swift analogy misses the mark, as she is an accomplished artist with millions of fans. Bobby Benchwarmer? No.

They do? Harper is a decent bet to pan out and succeed. Bobby Benchwarmer is someone who is not rated in the top 200 or 500 or 100 recruits. He should be happy to have a scholarship. If he works his way up the roster and becomes a starter, then NIL money is earned.
"After further review," I think your argument is not really with NIL, but rather with the collective's decision to pay everyone. In the case of Bobby Benchwarmer, I think what you're really saying is that his NIL isn't worth anything, and so the collective shouldn't be paying him. I don't know whether that is true or not, but I just thought it might be useful to clarify what you are saying.

This is how it's intended to work, and I'd be in favor of a system that allows players to profit off their own NIL, however impossible it is in real life to regulate. This is absolutely not what is happening currently. Players are being paid to sign a NLI and to stay.
You're absolutely right. NIL should not be a recruitment tool. The NCAA's rules say this, but they are not enforcing their own rules.

"After further review," I think your argument is not really with NIL, but rather with the collective's decision to pay everyone. In the case of Bobby Benchwarmer, I think what you're really saying is that his NIL isn't worth anything, and so the collective shouldn't be paying him. I don't know whether that is true or not, but I just thought it might be useful to clarify what you are saying.
Long post ahead.

You say that I am arguing. I'm not arguing, and I don't want to argue. I'm merely stating my opinion on the matter, and my opinion is worth what anyone pays for it- nothing. But we do currently give a decent amount to R Fund, and we are under a commitment for a couple/few more years. I'm sounding out what we may do when our R Fund obligation is done in terms of giving to one of the collectives. Right now we are tapped out.

As NIL is a brave new world, and the foundation for NIL is far from set, we can anticipate that the current state of NIL will likely change over time.

But back to my opinion, which is subject to change as the state of NIL changes and more facts become available, I believe there should be a NIL hierarchy in which "star" players who have proven themselves on the college field may command higher NIL dollars than players who sit on the bench and never see game action. As I noted above, all scholarship players are getting free tuition, room, board and a lot of other perks (nutrition info access to an outstanding fitness facility and a team of doctors, trainers, etc. ). There is value in this. Mind you, this is viewed as nothing in the NIL world because this is what all scholarship players have received for years.

The star players will be in high demand, and supply and demand will dictate their market worth. We have already seen exposed with Cam Spencer, who is testing the market after spending one year at Rutgers and proving himself on a bigger stage. He may command up to $200-250,000 next year at another school. Another player, however, Dean Reiber, was rumored to have received $70K on the open market.

Currently then, in my mind, Bobby Benchwarmer should get nothing being the free tuition, room and board and the perks noted above. Perhaps he may have value as a practice or a scout player, and that brings value to the team. May he deserves a little extra. But if pool of NIL money is limited, how do the collectives spread that money around for 85 (or more) players and keep the Sam Browns and other stars without losing them to higher bidders?

Finally, found this interesting NIL tidbit:

Hearsay, but kind of surprising if true, from a writeup on B1G Football titled "Big Ten Recruiting Confidential: NIL, hardest-working coaches, impressive assistants" Behind a paywall, but this is all that is there. This is from a high school head football coach in Pennsylvania. :.

"Rutgers supposedly has a lot of NIL money, a ton. …"

• Wow
Reactions: rutgersguy1
Long post ahead.

You say that I am arguing. I'm not arguing, and I don't want to argue. I'm merely stating my opinion on the matter, and my opinion is worth what anyone pays for it- nothing. But we do currently give a decent amount to R Fund, and we are under a commitment for a couple/few more years. I'm sounding out what we may do when our R Fund obligation is done in terms of giving to one of the collectives. Right now we are tapped out.

As NIL is a brave new world, and the foundation for NIL is far from set, we can anticipate that the current state of NIL will likely change over time.

But back to my opinion, which is subject to change as the state of NIL changes and more facts become available, I believe there should be a NIL hierarchy in which "star" players who have proven themselves on the college field may command higher NIL dollars than players who sit on the bench and never see game action. As I noted above, all scholarship players are getting free tuition, room, board and a lot of other perks (nutrition info access to an outstanding fitness facility and a team of doctors, trainers, etc. ). There is value in this. Mind you, this is viewed as nothing in the NIL world because this is what all scholarship players have received for years.

The star players will be in high demand, and supply and demand will dictate their market worth. We have already seen exposed with Cam Spencer, who is testing the market after spending one year at Rutgers and proving himself on a bigger stage. He may command up to $200-250,000 next year at another school. Another player, however, Dean Reiber, was rumored to have received $70K on the open market.

Currently then, in my mind, Bobby Benchwarmer should get nothing being the free tuition, room and board and the perks noted above. Perhaps he may have value as a practice or a scout player, and that brings value to the team. May he deserves a little extra. But if pool of NIL money is limited, how do the collectives spread that money around for 85 (or more) players and keep the Sam Browns and other stars without losing them to higher bidders?

Finally, found this interesting NIL tidbit:

Hearsay, but kind of surprising if true, from a writeup on B1G Football titled "Big Ten Recruiting Confidential: NIL, hardest-working coaches, impressive assistants" Behind a paywall, but this is all that is there. This is from a high school head football coach in Pennsylvania. :.

"Rutgers supposedly has a lot of NIL money, a ton. …"

I was trying to use "arguing" in the lawyer's sense ("He argued before the U.S. Supreme Court") rather than in the sense of "I'm upset so I'm going to argue with you." I think that I am correct in thinking that you're less upset with the NIL concept than with how the collective is spreading around the NIL money it has raised, and I understand your concern. I don't know what the right answer is. It might be that the collective thinks everyone has to get something or they will be upset, but I don't know if that's what they are thinking or whether that's a good approach or not. I understand the desirability of focusing on the top players.

Anyway, I think I have probably said all that I have to say on this topic.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If we know one thing to always ring true it is this: the government getting involved will make this much better and more efficient with zero chance of corruption. Smh
I can't disagree -- I have had two problems with the government this week just as an ordinary citizen. But I'm not sure there's a better solution. The only option I see is to give the NCAA an antitrust exemption and let them do what they want, but I think you'd agree they wouldn't do a good job either.

I was trying to use "arguing" in the lawyer's sense ("He argued before the U.S. Supreme Court") rather than in the sense of "I'm upset so I'm going to argue with you." I think that I am correct in thinking that you're less upset with the NIL concept than with how the collective is spreading around the NIL money it has raised, and I understand your concern. I don't know what the right answer is. It might be that the collective thinks everyone has to get something or they will be upset, but I don't know if that's what they are thinking or whether that's a good approach or not. I understand the desirability of focusing on the top players.

Anyway, I think I have probably said all that I have to say on this topic.
It's not upsetting to me. I believe in free market capitalism, and I think that if a player is bringing value to a team/university, that player should be compensated for their name/image/likeness. As one example, a Heisman trophy winner--he should certainly be compensated, as he increased the market value of a team and a university in terms of media rights, increased applications to the university and sales of licensed university items (mostly clothing).

Whether the collectives make the decision on how/when/how many players are paid or if this is dictated by a conference, the NCAA or state or federal laws, invariably, certain players will feel that they are not getting their fair share. The free market should be able to govern this--if Harry Heisman candidate feels this way, and he does not have other reasons for staying with his current team (loyalty to his school, his teammates or coaches), he can test the free market and go to the highest bidder. This is likely not the case with Bobby Benchwarmer. I may not have understood your position, but I thought you were saying that Bobby Benchwarmer should get paid too. I'm not sure I agree, especially if Bobby is getting the aforementioned benefits. But Bobby is free to test the open market too.

Lost in this discussion is that there is likely a percentage of players who probably realize they will not get much in the way of NIL money, are happy to get a free education, and they are playing because they love the game.

As with other aspects of life where society is treading on new ground, there will be issues to work through. Some will be thorny, others not so much. To be clear, I am not opposed to NIL, but there are aspects that hopefully get ironed out.

If we know one thing to always ring true it is this: the government getting involved will make this much better and more efficient with zero chance of corruption. Smh
The government already got involved. The NCAA had rules. The government invalidated them.

Just ban it at the conference level. Big 10 and SEC shake hands behind closed doors, ban NIL in the same month, and the whole thing goes back to normal.
Yeah Big 10 and SEC, where schools and coaches make millions don’t give the players sh_t. Don’t think that would work

I propose that NIL $$ cannot be obtained to recruit a player to the school. Once the player has been at the school for a full year they are eligible for NIL $$. They still get paid but it is not a Wild West recruiting tool. Just a thought

I always though that NIL was supposed to be looking at the revenue the NCAA/Schools were making and how kids can obtain a piece of that revenue similar to what you see in the NBA/MLB/NFL. Instead this is all about the boosters and companies(typically booster led) that are paying players in a hidden P4P.
If it was a revenue share model you would still have players who want to run camps and be paid for that time as the companies would still be profiting off their name. Again similar to NBA where players get paid their revenue share but then can go sign their own Nike deal to keep that $$ themselves. Very tricky situation.

This is a shit show. NY just passed an amendment to their NIL law that keeps the NCAA from prohibiting player compensation. I think there are similar laws in other states. This will get ugly.

It's all just pandering and pocket lining. No real interest in a fair solution. And none of it surprising.

The measure also would attempt to address what has become a massive shift in athlete movement among schools by generally requiring athletes to complete three years of athletic eligibility before they could transfer without having to sit out of competition for a year.

The bill would establish a national standards for NIL activities, preempting varying state laws around the enterprise and requiring the NCAA to develop and maintain a uniform standard contract for NIL deals.

The bill specifically says no state can adopt a law that “relates to the rights of student athletes to receive compensation directly or indirectly” from a school. It also says nothing in the bill will affect the employment status of athletes, who stand to get a number of new benefits under the bill, including access to a health-care trust fund

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT