ADVERTISEMENT

NIL MADNESS: Star Miami Player Now Demands He Be Paid Same as Portal Kid They Just Paid Or He's Transferring

Im theory NIL is great. However there needs to be rules in place so it doesn’t kill the golden goose. Every day of our lives is regulated from minimum wage laws to SEC regulations to food standards… all of it.

college sports do not work if it is the Wild West.

And he has now retracted and won't enter portal...guess the bad PR wasn't worth it, and his hack low level agent wasn't as cagey as he thought.

It is irresponsible to make vague accusatory statements calling out racism without any justification or context unless you are being facecious in which case you are just being an are.
This looks is a serious topic. Agreed that the institution of college football might implode or eventually lose its flax free status of this does not get under control.

I think a pretty nominal and fair rule is you can transfer freely if your head coach leaves/retires, but if not and you transfer you still lose 1 year of eligibility. That would calm this down by 50+% instantly

I think a pretty nominal and fair rule is you can transfer freely if your head coach leaves/retires, but if not and you transfer you still lose 1 year of eligibility. That would calm this down by 50+% instantly
I’ve always thought that there should be a more lenient waiver system where if the coach losing the player files a statement endorsing the move - then the requirement would be waived. A kid like Oskar should not have to sit out a year if hypothetically a mutual decision was made with Pike to transfer down a level.

Reactions: RU89
As a wise Rick Ross once said; if you’re gonna flex on an ass, you better pay up

What about the assistant coach you came for?
What about if they changed requirements for your major?
What is coach said he wasn’t recruiting another X and he did?
What if the coach didn’t give you PT?
What is coach oversold what the school offers athletes?
What if you found out the medical training staff wasn’t qualified?
What if you don’t get along with players on team/approve of what they do?

What about the assistant coach you came for?
What about if they changed requirements for your major?
What is coach said he wasn’t recruiting another X and he did?
What if the coach didn’t give you PT?
What is coach oversold what the school offers athletes?
What if you found out the medical training staff wasn’t qualified?
What if you don’t get along with players on team/approve of what they do?
That’s why it should be coach discretion. If a kid came to a coach and said he wanted to transfer for most of these reasons (and they were legitimate) 9 times out of 10 the coach would endorse it. Am I recalling correctly that when Eugene transferred out, he didn’t even tell Pike? Theses decisions don’t only impact coach and player. There’s a whole team of other kids affected by it too.

The whole headline about NIL, got squashed like a bug on a windshield....big mouthed player, who thought he was important, probably was going to default on the terms of his NIL deal.....he issued a well written apology tweet and all is going to calm down and no one is going to remember this, unless he plays terribly this season.

The fans who are true fans of competition, who understand the difference between a real story and a flash in the pan story, know that a handful of kids, are not the story of every school or every kid within the NIL umbrella.

The college sports media is really used to going into hibernation until football camp opens in August in most places. Between the end of college hoops in April and August, you have recruiting stories and commitments. The new content for college sports media that they can now use for content, is NIL. Maybe it's good for us to discuss for the next months, mixed with recruiting. But the negative aspects bring hammered as if it's the end of sports, is silly.

It is silly if it doesn't bother you and alter your experience. With all due respect (and it is due because you make valuable contributions here) you may be a bit naive if you don't at least see and acknowledge where this could go and more importantly affect RU.

We all wear different glasses. Although I do pay a lot for entertainment of going to Rutgers basketball games and acknowledge that it isn't fair for my money to indirectly go to Steve Pikiell and not the players.....I would draw a line paying college athletes. That is me. That isn't everyone. This is likely coming down to success a large function of the fanbase willing to pay for players.

I do think a portion of the NCAA basketball fund should go to the players (which would be roughly $50K per year if it was 30-45% of NCAA tournament revenue). That solution would open other problems for non power conferences.

It is silly if it doesn't bother you and alter your experience. With all due respect (and it is due because you make valuable contributions here) you may be a bit naive if you don't at least see and acknowledge where this could go and more importantly affect RU.

We all wear different glasses. Although I do pay a lot for entertainment of going to Rutgers basketball games and acknowledge that it isn't fair for my money to indirectly go to Steve Pikiell and not the players.....I would draw a line paying college athletes. That is me. That isn't everyone. This is likely coming down to success a large function of the fanbase willing to pay for players.

I do think a portion of the NCAA basketball fund should go to the players (which would be roughly $50K per year if it was 30-45% of NCAA tournament revenue). That solution would open other problems for non power conferences.
Don’t forget the video games. Not a topic yet, but should be in the spotlight next year. I’m in favor of anything and everything that promotes the following of the college game. The elimination of NCAA video games has surely impacted the younger generations’ following of college ball. So while I welcome it back, if a player’s name and resembling image is used in a game, they obviously must be paid.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Don’t forget the video games. Not a topic yet, but should be in the spotlight next year. I’m in favor of anything and everything that promotes the following of the college game. The elimination of NCAA video games has surely impacted the younger generations’ following of college ball. So while I welcome it back, if a player’s name and resembling image is used in a game, they obviously must be paid.
Going to sound like an old guy here........unless players have guns and can shoot each other the games won't be bought.

In all seriousness I would love to see that as a revenue stream too. I have been known every once in awhile to play NHL XX with my son. I'd definitely play a March madness game.

Looks like $200M and $100M goes each year to the NFL and players per year for Madden. I'd think at best a March Madness game gets 20% of that. Still $60M split evenly between schools and players puts $30,000,000 per year in players pockets. 30M/365 teams/13 players * 4 years is $25,000 per player.

Going to sound like an old guy here........unless players have guns and can shoot each other the games won't be bought.

In all seriousness I would love to see that as a revenue stream too. I have been known every once in awhile to play NHL XX with my son. I'd definitely play a March madness game.

Looks like $200M and $100M goes each year to the NFL and players per year for Madden. I'd think at best a March Madness game gets 20% of that. Still $60M split evenly between schools and players puts $30,000,000 per year in players pockets. 30M/365 teams/13 players * 4 years is $25,000 per player.
I have no idea how it works. Does every character have the same contract deal for name use in these games? Since they are played online these days it’s probably traceable which players and teams are getting the most selection use. Does that drive market value?

Regardless - when this pops up at least that will be one legitimate NIL income stream that’s not about pay for play.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I think all scholarship players should be equal. 13th guy on Austin Peay should get same as Zach Edey
Even in properly functional NIL environment, I wouldn’t think it works that way. From the manufacturers perspective (who’d be orchestrating the deal) if the 13th guy on any team opts out, that’s not going to impact the sale of a single game. If Geo and Ron opt out, the game becomes a far less appealing purchase in our regional NJ market. It’s a nostalgic purchase for RU alums and a good way to engage their kids in following our players. If you take away our main players your selling far less games locally at $60 a pop.

There's never anything mentioned about how a football coach can earn 6M, 8M, 10M, 13M (Nick Saban) a year.

The "coaching" or what makes these contracts is primarily based on acquiring talent out of HS, developing it, marketing it to the next level of "getting paid" in the NFL or NBA etc.

When someone can explain why these coaches make all this money, primarily based on recruiting, how the talent being recruited, is somehow worth ZERO.

The players are not worth zero. The NCAA had this "business model", which has been inherently awful for decades. And these kids aren't worth zero. Sorry to burst the bubble, but maybe restrict the coaches from making 9 to 10M per year and re-route that money towards the kids.

There's never anything mentioned about how a football coach can earn 6M, 8M, 10M, 13M (Nick Saban) a year.

The "coaching" or what makes these contracts is primarily based on acquiring talent out of HS, developing it, marketing it to the next level of "getting paid" in the NFL or NBA etc.

When someone can explain why these coaches make all this money, primarily based on recruiting, how the talent being recruited, is somehow worth ZERO.

The players are not worth zero. The NCAA had this "business model", which has been inherently awful for decades. And these kids aren't worth zero. Sorry to burst the bubble, but maybe restrict the coaches from making 9 to 10M per year and re-route that money towards the kids.
That is the arguement I can’t fight. It is why I have come around to thinking that players should see some of the revenue.

Even in properly functional NIL environment, I wouldn’t think it works that way. From the manufacturers perspective (who’d be orchestrating the deal) if the 13th guy on any team opts out, that’s not going to impact the sale of a single game. If Geo and Ron opt out, the game becomes a far less appealing purchase in our regional NJ market. It’s a nostalgic purchase for RU alums and a good way to engage their kids in following our players. If you take away our main players your selling far less games locally at $60 a pop.
Geo and Ron won’t back out of this pool which also includes a revenue stream from the NCAA basketball pool which is from the revenue from the NCAA tournament. If that is a percentage of what the conference makes it is weighted heavily towards the power conference athlete.

Geo and Ron won’t back out of this pool which also includes a revenue stream from the NCAA basketball pool which is from the revenue from the NCAA tournament. If that is a percentage of what the conference makes it is weighted heavily towards the power conference athlete.
I don’t know how these gaming contracts work. I would anticipate that the process would parallel the allocations amongst pro players for the Madden games.

Your right - it’s found money for doing nothing. I can’t see any player ever opting out.

I've been saying for years that even though we are in a capitalistic world, coaches should have their salaries capped in college. Let's say at 2 million per year. If they do not want to stay in college for that amount, let them go to the pros or find other jobs that can pay over that amount.

Best of Luck,
Groz

That is the arguement I can’t fight. It is why I have come around to thinking that players should see some of the revenue.

The item is not to question whether this concept makes fans feel uncomfortable or somehow uneasy about following college sports. But you have to break down the items into individual pieces, that make up the puzzle.

Coaches, specifically assistant coaches move more than players do. If you have a football coaches resume, it is very rare that an assistant is staying more than 3 or 4 years at any school. Their resume is a mess of 1 or 2 year contracts.

If the coaches, who move more than the players can move, why can't the players also move??

If we can at least agree that if the players are eligible to transfer to a different opportunity, even if it means transferring down a level or up a level, why does it matter how much or how little a kid earns via NIL??

These extreme items of the Pitt football player and Kansas State/Miami situation, are kinda outliers.

If a player is able to or willing to be taxed on money provided via NIL, I don't see that as any different than a bag of money exchanging hands at the local Diner, between a "friend of the program", to ensure some kid goes to Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, LSU or whomever else is involved.

There has always been a bidding war for the best prospects to get them to your favorite school....OR the coaches sold the virtues of attending XYZ college. Now that a player "outperforms expectations ", his market value has changed.....just like the overhyped 4* kid, who didn't develop....that kid when he transfers out, no one seems to care, because he didn't turn into the star that was expected.

I honestly think the NIL argument is coming from hard-core conservatives, who just don't like to see student athletes, placed on a pedestal and being rewarded for their work.

I don't think RU stands to lose in the NIL battles, because we compete in a great league, against legitimate competition and offer the exposure to the players. This notion that RU is somehow worse, is a guess.

We can easily benefit more via a freer transfer portal and NIL, than most schools. It is just new terrain for fans, which because it's new for fans, it immediately looks like it's bad for the sport.

If I said we could allow Greene FIG, the ability today to replace 3 players on RUs current roster, with 3 players of his choice from Bart, Kenpom efficiency or whatever metrics were needed AND you could actually recruit those players to see if they would be a good fit, I am 99.9% sure, that if those 3 incoming players were better than the 3 departing players, that it would be OK.

The last point is ironic for the critics of recruiting as not being good enough.....the portal helps fix any mistakes or evaluations on players that maybe aren't developing as quickly or maybe aren't team oriented.

Why should any player stay locked in, if it's not the best choice??

And why should a player who has played and performed well at a Wofford, or Chattanooga, not transfer to a Wisconsin to play basketball, if Wisconsin offers that player a bigger stage, more exposure, more of a challenge to see how they perform??

The amount of player movement around the B1G, is really being ignored, and I would guess 80% of the portal is transferring with no goal of NIL.....they're transferring because they want to play or find a different opportunity.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I've been saying for years that even though we are in a capitalistic world, coaches should have their salaries capped in college. Let's say at 2 million per year. If they do not want to stay in college for that amount, let them go to the pros or find other jobs that can pay over that amount.

Best of Luck,
Groz
I am complaining about NIL potentially ruining college sports, but in reality athletic department budgets ballooned paying coaches and that’s what indirectly cut so many college programs.

Reactions: RUChoppin
1. I am the furthest thing from conservative.
2. Your POV is fine and I respect it. There is no wrong or right. Just like me getting majorly turned off by Ron Harper selling shirts after making shot.
3. There are college athletes in Olympic sports that will ultimately suffer as a indirect result of NIL. That isn’t right. This isn’t all about basketball and football.
4. It is wrong for coaches to make what they make and players get zero

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don’t know how these gaming contracts work. I would anticipate that the process would parallel the allocations amongst pro players for the Madden games.

Your right - it’s found money for doing nothing. I can’t see any player ever opting out.
They need a player Union made up of current and past players. They would negotiate with the NCAA.

2. Your POV is fine and I respect it. There is no wrong or right. Just like me getting majorly turned off by Ron Harper selling shirts after making shot.
3. There are college athletes in Olympic sports that will ultimately suffer as a indirect result of NIL. That isn’t right. This isn’t all about basketball and football.

I would argue that athletes in Olympic Sports have already suffered due to cuts etc. prior to NIL. Also - the top athletes in Olympic Sports (i.e. those that manage to compete at a high level on an international stage) have been taken advantage of over the years by bodies like the USOPC and IOC who's leadership has sat back and significantly lined their own pockets on the backs of these athletes.

I would argue that athletes in Olympic Sports have already suffered due to cuts etc. prior to NIL.
Absolutely. Where I see the puck going the next casualty will be scholarships to revenue sports athletes. Could be wrong.

To me there is ZERO doubt if it wasnt for coaches ballooning salaries there would be many more olympic sports right now.

Not you specifically as a conservative, just the mindset of a good amount of sports fans, whether college or Pro, are anti-athlete or performer. No one questions Mark Emmert making 3M, while doing literally nothing.....or the 1B generated for the NCAA.

The next B1G media deal is coming and it will improve the competitive nature for RU in the B1G.....something that to this day, still is blindfully ignored as a factor towards competitive balance in major college sports. I see more fans saying RU missed out on being in the Big East, but the Big East was poorly run and managed.....RU is in a great league with passionate fans who care more about Iowa Hawkeye sports than the Chicago Bears or Cubs....there are sports fans who want to see competitive games, weekly.....not blow outs of Alabama vs the Citadel in football in Mid November. These are major problems with the NCAA not having leadership, not NIL or the portal..

I am not a fan of everything about Jay Bilas, but he is the most rational and intelligent sports figure, with some law background and a high amount of knowledge about what the NCAA doesn't do well. He should replace Emmert and clean up the football and basketball gaps and has the ability to do so. We are completely misguided looking at NIL, when the structure of college sports needs to be addressed from the Top on down to the coaches, student athletes etc.

Not sure why I don’t have a problem with a starting pitcher making $500,000 per start, but have a sour taste in my mouth seeing college athletes securing NIL deals.

Here’s the simple solution that I’ve mentioned in the past:
  • Bring sit-out transfers back with no hardship waivers
  • Create a “players association” for licensing deals
  • Work out a deal for NCAA football video game with EA evenly distributing licensing revenue to all players
  • Allow players to earn from “officially licensed merchandise” sold through the schools (player jerseys, t shirts, etc)
  • Allow for players to run camps in off season
  • Allow for players to earn revenue from trading card deals
That’s it. Players make some money but it’s mostly a fair split with star players earning more because people want their jerseys and merch. Most of this is handled through the schools and the player association. What’s wrong with this model?

Here’s the simple solution that I’ve mentioned in the past:
  • Bring sit-out transfers back with no hardship waivers
  • Create a “players association” for licensing deals
  • Work out a deal for NCAA football video game with EA evenly distributing licensing revenue to all players
  • Allow players to earn from “officially licensed merchandise” sold through the schools (player jerseys, t shirts, etc)
  • Allow for players to run camps in off season
  • Allow for players to earn revenue from trading card deals
That’s it. Players make some money but it’s mostly a fair split with star players earning more because people want their jerseys and merch. Most of this is handled through the schools and the player association. What’s wrong with this model?

I like this model a lot.

As someone who wasn’t totally sold on NIL in the beginning, I’ve warmed up to it as I’ve learned and thought about it more.

Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll ever see a sensible and sustainable solution. Top Players and the big schools know they can get away with pay for play right in the open - going to be tough to backtrack now.

the players need to unionize and the need a income stream directly from NCAA and/or conference. the only issue is title 9 has to be thrown out the window. women's sports or any sport for that matter getting paid basketball or football money would be ridiculous. The only reason i am ok with football and basketball making some money is because they are the only ones people actually want to watch and coaches have blown up the system with their salaries.

NIL is not a sustainable solution.

the players need to unionize and the need a income stream directly from NCAA and/or conference. the only issue is title 9 has to be thrown out the window. women's sports or any sport for that matter getting paid basketball or football money would be ridiculous. The only reason i am ok with football and basketball making some money is because they are the only ones people actually want to watch and coaches have blown up the system with their salaries.

NIL is not a sustainable solution.

NIL was not an NCAA solution. It was a 9-0 ruling by the Supreme Court related to the NCAA violations of anti-trust laws and granting rights to athletes. The NCAA nor individual schools do not have the current power to stop NIL. In fact I would anticipate that the concept of Pay for Play will be also challenged more broadly and expand.

Quite frankly I don't understand the complaining about something that is now a settled SCOTUS ruling - as if the NCAA had the power to stop it. I might suggest people choose to live with it or move on to something else. Because it is here to stay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT