ADVERTISEMENT

NJ States begins Saturday 2/19 -Freshmen to be aware of

plcoolg

Freshman
Nov 20, 2014
There are some fantastic freshmen to keep an eye out for. Although all of them are not nationally known yet, I think they can go very far in Atlantic City. In many cases their losses occurred in national tournaments and not against NJ competition:

113 pounds: Anthony Knox, Saint John Vianney 22-1
126 pounds: Caeden Ricciardi, Saint Peters Prep 25-3
138 pounds: Alessio Perentin, Delbarton 22-3
157 pounds: Jordan Chapman, Cranford 27-2
175 pounds: Harvey Ludington, Brick Memorial 22-1
190 pounds: Vincenzo LaValle, Hanover Park 29-2

Everyone on the list has several archived matches on Flowrestling.com (behind a pay wall).

Last edited:
Good seeing a Hanover Park wrestler on the list.
Joey O. needs to get in his ear

Here are the results from the freshmen listed in the original post:
113 pounds: Anthony Knox, Saint John Vianney, Finished 1st in Region 5, 14-4 md in Finals
126 pounds: Caeden Ricciardi, Saint Peters Prep, Finished 1st in Region 4, 11-2 md in Finals
138 pounds: Alessio Perentin, Delbarton, Finished 1st in Region 3, 1:35 pinfall in Finals
157 pounds: Jordan Chapman, Cranford, Finished 2nd in Region 4, 5-4 loss in Finals
175 pounds: Harvey Ludington, Brick Memorial, Finished 1st in Region 6, 3:01 pinfall in Finals
*190 pounds: Vincenzo LaValle, Hanover Park, Finished 1st in Region 3, 3-1 win in tb in Finals

*edited to reflect LaValle as the winner- Thanks MS-RU

Last edited:
I’ve watched Ludington all year. He’s a kid we want. He will be at least a 2x’er. And looks like that frame is going to grow. No doubt he’s a 190 or even 215 in future.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Donny almeyda from St. Joes will be a good one. He’s in the region 1 finals to tomorrow.

Good seeing a Hanover Park wrestler on the list.
Joey O. needs to get in his ear
Raimo can be in his ear too. Lavalle, 190 pound freshman and with an impressive record. His dad was a three timer for HP in the 90s. "When asked about his favorite moments from Boardwalk Hall, the newest LaValle standout said watching Nicky Raimo and Joey Olivieri win their state titles. And both wrestlers, now competing at Rutgers University, were on hand Saturday to watch the next LaValle win gold." Think they are in his ear already?

St Peter’s has a lot of good freshmen to watch how they develop. I would put DeJesus on this list too. Word is he’l be at Blair next year.

Reactions: njsportsphan
St Peter’s has a lot of good freshmen to watch how they develop. I would put DeJesus on this list too. Word is he’l be at Blair next year.
Yes, DeJesus is very talented. Blair would not surprise me...pretty sure he is from Parsipanny...that must be long commute to Jersey City....

He’s a sophomore but I’ll mention him anyway as he wasn’t reclassed like the names mentioned here, so is the sane age, and that’s Nick Campagna from South Plainfield. I’m sure he’s on the radar, for obvious reasons, as he should be.
FWIW: I would not put too much thought into Perentin or Knox as RU not a direction they are looking in, at least last I heard. Chapman, IMO, would be a great fit. That’s a kid we need to get into SKWC, if not already.

Interesting. Why the move? Is it an age thing like Ungar or just wants more or better competition and training?
He’s a sophomore but I’ll mention him anyway as he wasn’t reclassed like the names mentioned here, so is the sane age, and that’s Nick Campagna from South Plainfield. I’m sure he’s on the radar, for obvious reasons, as he should be.
FWIW: I would not put too much thought into Perentin or Knox as RU not a direction they are looking in, at least last I heard. Chapman, IMO, would be a great fit. That’s a kid we need to get into SKWC, if not already.
Perentin looking elsewhere isn't surprising, but I thought Knox was a possibility. Where is he looking (PSU/Iowa, maybe tOSU)?

Not a freshman either, but I wonder what our interest in Mikey Dellagatta is... seems like a solid prospect, ranked #16 in the country at 170 as junior, and keeps the SJR pipeline alive & flowing.

Reactions: mikemessner
Interesting. Why the move? Is it an age thing like Ungar or just wants more or better competition and training?

Perentin looking elsewhere isn't surprising, but I thought Knox was a possibility. Where is he looking (PSU/Iowa, maybe tOSU)?
Not sure why DeJesus transfer to Blair but it was talked about at regions.

As for Knox, he’s told people close he’s looking Ivy with UPenn top choice. Perentin eyeing Princeton.

As for Knox, he’s told people close he’s looking Ivy with UPenn top choice. Perentin eyeing Princeton.
Interesting, I guess I wasn't talking with the right people at R4 😂. Also interesting on Knox, as rumors were that grades wouldn't be there for Ivy, but who knows, as he's only a super freshman. Perentin is disappointing as he was at SKWC a ton training with Nini, but once he went to Delbarton, I figured we wouldn't have a shot, and he may have ghosted some training partners and coaches at times...

Interesting, I guess I wasn't talking with the right people at R4 😂. Also interesting on Knox, as rumors were that grades wouldn't be there for Ivy, but who knows, as he's only a super freshman. Perentin is disappointing as he was at SKWC a ton training with Nini, but once he went to Delbarton, I figured we wouldn't have a shot, and he may have ghosted some training partners and coaches at times...
If you go to Vianney, you can fail every class and they’ll graduate you with a 4.0 GPA

relevant seeds for this thread:

Anthony Knox #4 at 113
Caeden Ricciardi #2 at 126
Alessio Perentin, Delbarton #7 at 138
Jordan Chapman, Cranford #16 at 157
Harvey Ludington #7 at 175
Vincenzo LaValle #8 at 190 (unfortunately gets Soldano in the quarterfinals)

Adrian DeJesus #1 at 106
Damian Weaver #4 at 150
Nicholas Campagna #10 at 150
Mikey Dellagatta #3 at 175

Reactions: Leonard23
Where is Dylan Weaver?
Is he still wrestling?
I know he was a RU commit, but have not seen his name mentioned during this season.

Where is Dylan Weaver?
Is he still wrestling?
I know he was a RU commit, but have not seen his name mentioned during this season.
He was 7-8 this year as a redshirt. Started out really slow by losing his 1st 4 matches and then was 7-4 the rest of the way but hasn't wrestled since the beginning of January. I see him with the team during matches and whatnot, so he's around but he still has a long way to develop before you can think of him as a contributor.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Predictions:
106 - (2) Wadle
113 - (4) Knox
120 - (1) Collins
126 - (2) Ricciardi
132 - (2) Santaniello
138 - (1) George
144 - (1) Whalen
150 - (1) Troczynski
157 - (2) Morris
165 - (1) Mays
175 - (2) Portella
190 - (1) Soldano
215 - (2) Casale
285 - (1) Mullen

Predictions:
106 - (2) Wadle
113 - (4) Knox
120 - (1) Collins
126 - (2) Ricciardi
132 - (2) Santaniello
138 - (1) George
144 - (1) Whalen
150 - (1) Troczynski
157 - (2) Morris
165 - (1) Mays
175 - (2) Portella
190 - (1) Soldano
215 - (2) Casale
285 - (1) Mullen
Predictions:
106 - (1) DeJesus
113 - (4) Knox
120 - (2) Nini
126 - (2) Ricciardi
132 - (2) Santaniello
138 - (1) George
144 - (1) Whalen
150 - (1) Troczynski
157 - (1) Simon
165 - (2) Fea
175 - (3) Dellagatta
190 - (1) Soldano
215 - (2) Casale
285 - (1) Mullen

Nini taking down Tallmadge in SV was the best moment at region 6. Sophomore beating a reigning state champ and he had almost no reaction, like he expected to do it. He’s going to be a good one.

My guess is that DeJesus doesn’t end up at Blair unless something changes. They have Dekraker coming in at 106/113 and possibly Cooper Hilton from Sem. Then you have McGowan and DeLuca at 120/126. But Blair is supposed to get a few transfers including Vince Bouzakis.

Knox to RU not out of the question if Mario Mason is in the picture. He can look at the Ivies all he wants but guarantee grades/scores will put that to rest.

• Wow
Both Adrian DeJesus (St. Peters) and Jordan Chapman (Cranford) won the Freshmen Division of their weight classes at this weekend's NHSCA High School Nationals in Virginia Beach. DeJesus competed at 106 pounds and Chapman competed at 160 pounds. Both of these kids are ultra talented and have a bright future. Hopefully Rutgers is in their future!

*Side Note relevant to the thread ...no other freshmen listed in this thread competed in the tournament. Nick Campagna (South Plainfield) finished in 6th in the Sophomore Division at 152 pounds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT