ADVERTISEMENT

Beast of the East and Senior Nationals An Exciting Weekend of Wrestling

bluemountain1967

Sophomore
Feb 8, 2020
On Saturday and Sunday, the Beast of the East will be held. While missing some top kids. two Rutgers recruits have a chance to capture titles. Chapman is pre-seeded # 1 seed and Parkins is pre-seeded # 3. A championship by these kids will elevate their rankings and generate a lot of confidence in their abilities.

Cerchio and Perentin former state champs from Delbarton are not entered. Also, Motyaka, Lilledahl, Bouzakis, and Correa who won Ironman representing Wyoming Seminary are not entered. Two potential semi-final matchups include Bachmann of Faith Christian and Anello of Blair at 106 as well as Botero of Faith Christian and DeLuca of Blair at 120. Some top Jersey competitors include Brzozwski (Seton Hall), Knox (St. John Vianney), Walsh (Pope John), James (Delbarton), Ford (Bergen Catholic and a RU recruit), Burton (St. Joes) Ludington (Brick), LaValle (Hanover Park) and Dellagatta (St. Joes). Plus, Blair has most of their first team entered. A heavyweight final between Kinney of Nazareth and Neves of Blair could be a good one.

Senior Nationals in freestyle will be held on Saturday and Sunday. It will be a who's who of current American wrestlers trying to qualify to represent the USA at the Olympics. Spencer Lee, Joey McKenna, Anthony Ashnault, Pat Lugo, Matt Kolodzik, Seth Gross, Alex Pantaleo, Quincy Monday, Alex Marinelli, Tyler Berger, Mark Hall. Alex Dieringer. Max Dean, David McFadden, Nate Jackson, Kollin Moore, Anthony Cassioppi, Greg Kirkvliet, and Dom Bradley among others will be wrestling. Plus, the mystery man, Nick Suriano, has registered. Will he show up?

This is an exciting weekend especially for wrestling fans confined to home.

Chapman and Parkins both advance to the quarterfinals

Nini came in first at 144 in the local tournament that CBA was in today.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Nini came in first at 144 in the local tournament that CBA was in today.
Paul Kenny barely broke a sweat en route to his 1st place finish. I know there’s a formula to it and Kenny doesn’t have any data points yet but he was seeded 10th. Poor guy who drew the top seed had to face him in the 2nd round.

It was a fun weekend watching the Beast of the East and Senior Nationals.

Many top wrestlers skipped the Beast. Jersey kids may have been impacted by the 30-match limit.

While Chapman and Perkins didn't wrestled to their seeds, they competed hard. They both finished third. Perkins lost to James a good sophomore from Delbarton. Perkins is talented and should be a consistent national qualifier. Chapman is athletic. He needs to face tougher competition. He was behind by a lot in the semi-finals to the 12th seed. Then recovered to lose 12-11. The clock just ran out. The kid that beat Chapman lost to Henckel by tech fall. Chapman could jump levels in a college room. Ford outwrestled his seed and showed grit. I like him. Although Wehner didn't place, he fought hard.

The Senior Nationals saw two high school kids beat former national champs. Valencia a Stanford commit earned a tech fall over Seth Gross. Mirasola a Penn State commit beat Max Dean. There were a lot of upsets including Beau Bartlett beating Joey McKenna in the semi-finals and Quincy Monday beating Alex Marinelli in the finals. The winners were Spencer Lee, Andrew Alirez (who was the OW), Quincy Monday, Alex Dieringer, Kollin Moore, and Dominique Bradley. The top 5 at each weight qualified for the Olympic Trials in April.

Next up for viewing is the Midlands. Hope our starters enter. They could boast their rankings and improve seeds come tournament time.

It was a fun weekend watching the Beast of the East and Senior Nationals.

Many top wrestlers skipped the Beast. Jersey kids may have been impacted by the 30-match limit.

While Chapman and Perkins didn't wrestled to their seeds, they competed hard. They both finished third. Perkins lost to James a good sophomore from Delbarton. Perkins is talented and should be a consistent national qualifier. Chapman is athletic. He needs to face tougher competition. He was behind by a lot in the semi-finals to the 12th seed. Then recovered to lose 12-11. The clock just ran out. The kid that beat Chapman lost to Henckel by tech fall. Chapman could jump levels in a college room. Ford outwrestled his seed and showed grit. I like him. Although Wehner didn't place, he fought hard.

The Senior Nationals saw two high school kids beat former national champs. Valencia a Stanford commit earned a tech fall over Seth Gross. Mirasola a Penn State commit beat Max Dean. There were a lot of upsets including Beau Bartlett beating Joey McKenna in the semi-finals and Quincy Monday beating Alex Marinelli in the finals. The winners were Spencer Lee, Andrew Alirez (who was the OW), Quincy Monday, Alex Dieringer, Kollin Moore, and Dominique Bradley. The top 5 at each weight qualified for the Olympic Trials in April.

Next up for viewing is the Midlands. Hope our starters enter. They could boast their rankings and improve seeds come tournament time.
Great weekend of wrestling.
Rutgers Schedule this week
12/22 Lehigh tournament-Chletsos, Britton, Fongaro, Moore, DeSantis and Gayer
12/22 Wilkes Open- Both Weavers, Packer, Colucci, Nini, Tornado, Freeman and Epperly

Reactions: MS-RU and KidDagger
I understand Yara not going as an insider said he is recovering. Hope Poz and Peterson aren't hurt. The Midlands would be great competition and help improve seeds.

Looking at Flo Arena the wrestlers registered for The Sheridan Tournament (Lehigh) are mostly back-ups. Moore's toughest competition will be Fongaro. The few ranked competitors are Vito @ 133, Rooks @ 149, Lovett @ 157, Washington and Pasluk @ 174. Indiana seems to be bringing the most starters. Lehigh has yet to indicate who will be wrestling. Looks like a JV tournament with a few ranked kids. Our pin pool should be able to clean-up.

I understand Yara not going as an insider said he is recovering. Hope Poz and Peterson aren't hurt. The Midlands would be great competition and help improve seeds.

Looking at Flo Arena the wrestlers registered for The Sheridan Tournament (Lehigh) are mostly back-ups. Moore's toughest competition will be Fongaro. The few ranked competitors are Vito @ 133, Rooks @ 149, Lovett @ 157, Washington and Pasluk @ 174. Indiana seems to be bringing the most starters. Lehigh has yet to indicate who will be wrestling. Looks like a JV tournament with a few ranked kids. Our pin pool should be able to clean-up.
Poz and Peterson are both healthy. We can only send 6 attached kids to Midlands since it's not a scheduled event for the team.
Shawver (att)
Hermes (Una)
Fongaro (att)
Joey O (Una)
Cetta (att)
Clark (att)
White (att)
Gayer (Una)
Sugar Shane (Una)
Soldano (att)
Johnny O (Una)

Would have liked to see Poz at 197, but i think sending Soldano at 184 is probably the better choice.

Last I heard he was clearly the 4th string @285 and only because we only have 4 on roster @285
Always get concerned when guys transfer in high school. Going from a top private school back to your public school kind of suddenly and with little explanation should be a red flag. I said that at the time and it’s being magnified now.

I don’t know if we’re recruiting him but Adrian DeJesus fits a similar mold. 3 schools in 3 years and even announced his retirement at one point. I’d stay away even though he’s very talented.

DeJesus placed 3rd at S32 after initial transfer so he has that in his favor.

A note from beast, I saw that Ryan Ford only beat freshmen Joey Monticello from Don Bosco 3-1. That’s a kid to keep an eye on for the future. He’s going to be a good one.

Reactions: plcoolg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT