ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Plays at No. 7 Maryland in Big Ten Tournament

Thought Scott’s comment was spot on, re just struggled to put it all together. That sums up this season. Pieces were there but was tough being consistent due to injuries and change of personnel.

If you go back and look at who they lost due to graduation, that they still had a good season - and 1 more win in conference play probably would have meant the playoffs, is amazing.
They lost a lot over the last two seasons. I think when you look at the offensive units the last two years and look at this year’s team, it’s fair to say we just didn’t have an enough. The good thing is we played well out of conference. 7-1 OOC record is a solid effort and will put you in position every year. That being said, I don’t follow recruiting, but we need to load up on offense fast.

Last edited:
Thought Scott’s comment was spot on, re just struggled to put it all together. That sums up this season. Pieces were there but was tough being consistent due to injuries and change of personnel.

If you go back and look at who they lost due to graduation, that they still had a good season - and 1 more win in conference play probably would have meant the playoffs, is amazing.
As disappointing as the conference season was, the margin for error was/is razor thin. It’s really really hard to get into the NCAA field…I like the point the article makes when stating we are done at 8-6 sitting at 15 RPI. Everyone is disappointed with these result and 10 years ago this would have been a good season…the bar has been raised and that’s ok…

I’ll miss someone but shout out to Russo and Rall…Scott and Sprock to name a few guys…they exit with a ton of wins and success in a lot of big games. Hats off to those guys

As disappointing as the conference season was, the margin for error was/is razor thin. It’s really really hard to get into the NCAA field…I like the point the article makes when stating we are done at 8-6 sitting at 15 RPI. Everyone is disappointed with these result and 10 years ago this would have been a good season…the bar has been raised and that’s ok…

I’ll miss someone but shout out to Russo and Rall…Scott and Sprock to name a few guys…they exit with a ton of wins and success in a lot of big games. Hats off to those guys

Does Scott have a covid year?

Tough one, Rutgers.

If it's any consolation, I don't think many B1G teams will get in to the tournament, and none will have much impact. Most B1G teams lost a lot from last year. There won't be two of them playing on Memorial Day Weekend this year as there were (including Rutgers!) last year...

Reactions: biazza38
Defense is getting gassed opening up their great cutting game even more

It’s painful to say but Marykand is better everywhere. Better players, better coaching, better across the board.

That’s the case with most every program though. They aren’t the team they were last year but you wouldn’t want to play them in the tourney
So isn’t that a real indictment on our program saying we are getting out coached I know you are a Brecht guy but if he is always getting out coached by the Maryland coach how will we have a chance to get to the top and I know we made the final 4 last year but in this game alone I don’t know how many times on defense we made just basic lacrosse 101 mistakes
Offense again I am not an expert like you are but when I watch this offense it’s just one on one with no movement off the ball to get open!!
So how do we get over the hump???
Is Brecht really the guy?

So isn’t that a real indictment on our program saying we are getting out coached I know you are a Brecht guy but if he is always getting out coached by the Maryland coach how will we have a chance to get to the top and I know we made the final 4 last year but in this game alone I don’t know how many times on defense we made just basic lacrosse 101 mistakes
Offense again I am not an expert like you are but when I watch this offense it’s just one on one with no movement off the ball to get open!!
No expert, but is Brecht really the guy?

If by that you mean a head coach to get the team to a #1 ranking, then yes. Or win conference coach of the year honors, then yes. Make the conference tourney, yes (remember, before expansion, Michigan had never made it). Make it to the conference tourney championship game multiple times, yes. Make the NCAA playoffs, yes. Win multiple playoff games, yes. Make championship weekend, again yes.

And most importantly, bring in student athletes that represent Rutgers in the best way, hell yeah he does.

I suggest you read, if you haven't already, the USLacrosse article linked by @mattkamish on page 2 of this thread. Your focus is on one aspect of a multifaceted issue. I would point to 2 things. One was the loss of what was probably one of Top 3 rope units in the NCAA from last year. The other was the injuries at the wrong time. Degenio at Army where he easily could have made a 1 goal difference. Cameron for the Big 10 games which allowed Scott and Knobloch to be overplayed.

I don't think it's a Brecht problem at all. The program has taken leaps and bounds since Stagnitta left. Better recruiting and player development now. More alumni involved as well. I don't think the Rodkin Center would have been possible without him. The guy is a builder in many ways, and what has transpired over the last few years has been great for Rutgers.

The big problem is now NIL. There were several portal players this past year that we simply could not get. That is an athletic administration problem. Brecht can only do so much. He recognized that we had big holes to fill and could not land the targets he wanted this time around because the funds were not there.

If you expect RU to make the NCAAs every year, that's not how it works. Way too much competition as parity has come as a result of the expansion of the sport at the club and HS levels. In this game, you need everything to come together, as well as a little good old fashion luck.. Obviously we didn't have either this year. And it wasn't just Cameron. We needed both offensive and defensive middies to step up this season, and they didn't. You can't hang Knoblock out to dry all by himself. Sprock unfortunately could not return to form, and we sorely missed people like Jacoby. Weak midfield play makes both your defense and attack look bad.

So now it's back to the drawing board. We have some young talent that will hopefully be ready to contribute next year, and again, hopefully, there will be NIL $ to land some needed transfers. We will be back.

Just my two cents.

That is a good article but it does a slight disservice in that it seems to lay the blame almost entirely on lack of depth when in my humble opinion we also have scheme issues to work on both offensively and defensively.

I love Brecht but he is certainly not flawless and it is on him to put us in a position to be playing smarter lacrosse, which I think he will do.

We definitely took some positive steps forward in that this is the first year in a while that going into every game we were not dreading the faceoff dot and our turn over rate was phenomenal!

Thanks to all the seniors who contributed massively to one of the best stretches in RU lax in a long time, wish you all to have much success in whatever your future holds!!

That is a good article but it does a slight disservice in that it seems to lay the blame almost entirely on lack of depth when in my humble opinion we also have scheme issues to work on both offensively and defensively.

I love Brecht but he is certainly not flawless and it is on him to put us in a position to be playing smarter lacrosse, which I think he will do.

We definitely took some positive steps forward in that this is the first year in a while that going into every game we were not dreading the faceoff dot and our turn over rate was phenomenal!

Thanks to all the seniors who contributed massively to one of the best stretches in RU lax in a long time, wish you all to have much success in whatever your future holds!!

I don't know about that, and 66 has a point about the NIL issue, which was in full effect for the first time in '23. IMHO if Brian Tevlin had gone to Rutgers instead of Notre Dame with his Ivy/covid year, what Rutgers would be worried about is how high a seed they would get. He would have energized the rope unit. I wonder what his deal was from the Irish. There are a number of quality players on Princeton with that extra year in '24. Will Rutgers have the resources to comepete?

I don't know about that, and 66 has a point about the NIL issue, which was in full effect for the first time in '23. IMHO if Brian Tevlin had gone to Rutgers instead of Notre Dame with his Ivy/covid year, what Rutgers would be worried about is how high a seed they would get. He would have energized the rope unit. I wonder what his deal was from the Irish. There are a number of quality players on Princeton with that extra year in '24. Will Rutgers have the resources to comepete?
Curious, I wonder what current impact players who have eligibility left and may be getting a partial scholarship would think of a transfer player getting a NIL deal that basically covers 100% of their tuition? I’m hoping they are taking care of their own first and then looking elsewhere. I’m sure this is a challenge for all programs but with RU being Transfer U, the locker room culture could become a concern.

I don't think it's a Brecht problem at all. The program has taken leaps and bounds since Stagnitta left. Better recruiting and player development now. More alumni involved as well. I don't think the Rodkin Center would have been possible without him. The guy is a builder in many ways, and what has transpired over the last few years has been great for Rutgers.

The big problem is now NIL. There were several portal players this past year that we simply could not get. That is an athletic administration problem. Brecht can only do so much. He recognized that we had big holes to fill and could not land the targets he wanted this time around because the funds were not there.

If you expect RU to make the NCAAs every year, that's not how it works. Way too much competition as parity has come as a result of the expansion of the sport at the club and HS levels. In this game, you need everything to come together, as well as a little good old fashion luck.. Obviously we didn't have either this year. And it wasn't just Cameron. We needed both offensive and defensive middies to step up this season, and they didn't. You can't hang Knoblock out to dry all by himself. Sprock unfortunately could not return to form, and we sorely missed people like Jacoby. Weak midfield play makes both your defense and attack look bad.

So now it's back to the drawing board. We have some young talent that will hopefully be ready to contribute next year, and again, hopefully, there will be NIL $ to land some needed transfers. We will be back.

Just my two cents.
The main point which most people get here is two things can be true…

(1) The last few years, the program has reached new heights on and off the field. Tons in big wins, multiple trips to the NCAA with two quarters and a championship weekend. Great academic performance and kids staying out of trouble…Outside of maybe 4-5 programs, the rest would kill for our last few years…

(2) Work still needs to be done and BB can and will continue to refine and get better, additional fundraising, lax only stadium, better recruiting, continued alumni growth and relationship building. Nobody is saying the work is done. It’s a continual process.

Coach Brecht has done a great job. Not perfect, but very few if any are perfect…

No comment on Stagnita…that’s all I’ll say

Final thought…you need some luck. UMD had a generational team last year or we probably win the big ten.

No he is not, I am hearing grumbling about so dissatisfaction from some of the younger players

Maryland has the best staff in that country too to bottom.

They’ve made the fFF countless years in a row now. We have a great staff. Marylands is the best in the country

Reactions: Wagram97
I don’t know their specific deals but I’m know others.

The going rate for high level transfers is $50K for a season and it’s going up. Plus some scholarship money.

If you care about eh program and want to see us continue to play at a high level, donate.

Stadium and NIL are massive. We will not be able to sustain this if we don’t get it done.

I don’t get the hate for coach right now.
We went to the final four last year and lost a lot of talent.
We’re the ONLY school in the B1G without a lacrosse only practice facility. Between that and the lack of NIL support, this program is so handicapped relative to the rest of the B1G, it’s not even funny. We took a step back this year. No big deal. But coach is the guy

All I know is the team was on the rise and took a step back this year. 1-4 in conference (very close to 0-5). Not expecting a Final Four or conference championship, but was expecting 2-3 wins in conference and a semi-final game in the B1G. Sounds like a few key players are gone just like other teams do. Does RU reload and move up the standings or are we looking at 0-5 next year?

All I know is the team was on the rise and took a step back this year. 1-4 in conference (very close to 0-5). Not expecting a Final Four or conference championship, but was expecting 2-3 wins in conference and a semi-final game in the B1G. Sounds like a few key players are gone just like other teams do. Does RU reload and move up the standings or are we looking at 0-5 next year?

Why do our fans always overreact and question whether we have the right coach after not repeating our peak success from the prior year or past few years?

"every year isn’t magical, the trajectory isn’t always upward, that injuries are going to surface and how it’s unlikely you will be exactly what you want to be each season..."

And it took him almost a decade to reach championship weekend. Isn't it supposed to be most years?
You get my point. Tambroni is a good coach right?! PSU is a good program…but as an example, they’re not making it every year

OSU went to championship weekend in 2017…I don’t think they’ve won an ncaa game since…and they went 5-9 this year…and yeah they beat us, but got throttled twice by Michigan.

It’s hard to win…and I get people are disappointed…we all want to win…it’s fun!

I’ve been thinking what is reasonable expectations for a program like Rutgers…to me it would fall in line with what’s expected at PSU and OSU (Big Ten).

I think making the NCAA 2 out of every 5 years would be very solid with the thought that in those 2 years you’re equipped to make a run. To me, that’s a solid goal

Don’t forget, next year we have 3 home games. Winning on the road in this league is very difficult.

It’s one guy who frankly doesn’t know much.

We have a great coach. Brecht is very obviously the guy.
Rich is a numbnuts. I'd put Brecht as probably among the top HCs across the whole AD at this point. The only other coach currently employed that has gotten RU to a Final Four in a sport at this time is O'Neill for women's soccer.

You get my point. Tambroni is a good coach right?! PSU is a good program…but as an example, they’re not making it every year

OSU went to championship weekend in 2017…I don’t think they’ve won an ncaa game since…and they went 5-9 this year…and yeah they beat us, but got throttled twice by Michigan.

It’s hard to win…and I get people are disappointed…we all want to win…it’s fun!

I’ve been thinking what is reasonable expectations for a program like Rutgers…to me it would fall in line with what’s expected at PSU and OSU (Big Ten).

I think making the NCAA 2 out of every 5 years would be very solid with the thought that in those 2 years you’re equipped to make a run. To me, that’s a solid goal

Rutgers is still ranked in both polls, 16th and 17th. I'd add to 2 out of the 5 years "in the hunt" in each year. They'll be ranked higher than about 5 of 9 AQs.

Need someone...anyone...to start D1 lax in this league to make it a 6 game B1G season and make it more fair across the board. Sparty, NW, hell even USC.

Sparty had a team at one point. And Northwestern has had a top tier woman's program for a quarter of a century and certainly has the money. About the only excuse I can see is Title IX.

And bring back NC State to get the ACC in tournament mode.

Reading that article just reinforces how pathetic the RU athletic department was in the 90s - first decade of the 2000s. They lost a generation of fans and opportunity.

We were ranked #1 in the country (for a week) a few years ago and were on the wrong side of the NCAA bubble a few years in a row so it’s been building. Despite not making the tourney this year - that recent success has to lead to better recruiting and results. We can’t rely solely on the portal and have to start beating our peer schools for some of these “can’t miss” recruits - the Kirsts are a perfect example.

Need someone...anyone...to start D1 lax in this league to make it a 6 game B1G season and make it more fair across the board. Sparty, NW, hell even USC.
That never occurred to me. The two California schools seem like great candidates to start lacrosse programs...

Reactions: bigmatt718
That never occurred to me. The two California schools seem like great candidates to start lacrosse programs...
It would make a ton of sense. They'd be the first D1 men's lax programs in the state of California and allow the B1G to potentially monopolize a growing recruiting base in CA and the West Coast.

Reactions: dconifer
Question about the NIL is each sport have their own NIL money? I know there are a couple of big bball donors that obviously stepped up for Ace Bailey so not sure if each sport their is a specific amount ?

May be closer than we think given the rise of women’s flag football.

That said, the school I keep hearing the most about is Boston College.

Reactions: dconifer
It would make a ton of sense. They'd be the first D1 men's lax programs in the state of California and allow the B1G to potentially monopolize a growing recruiting base in CA and the West Coast.

USC and UCLA both have MCLA club teams. Question is Title IX, and whether their NCAA women's lax team keeps them in compliance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT