ADVERTISEMENT

No. 8/9 Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Welcomed St. John’s on Tuesday

Not too worried about tomorrow’s game, other than coming out healthy. I am very concerned about Saturday’s game vs. Utah. SJU knows they are over matched so their only chance is to play physical and hope to knock us off our game. Unless we can put them away early and empty the bench, we will likely come away with some bumps and bruises. We then have a short week to prepare for an Utah team that we are expected to handle but who we have never faced them and have little familiarity. On top of that, we have a bitter rivalry game vs. a likely top 5 Princeton team the following week.

Perfect recipe for overlooking an opponent. I trust Brecht and the staff to get the team prepared but I will be sweating this one nevertheless.

Reactions: Caliknight
Vegas expects us to destroy the Johnnies. RU is -12.5 favorites.
I suspect we will. Wouldn’t be surprised if we have a bit of a slow start coming off a hard fought game on short rest. I am just hoping we can put them away early, rest up the starters for Utah and get some reps for the young guys.

These early reps a huge for team development. This experience pays off towards the end of the season when these players can be trusted as depth pieces or to fill in for injuries because they have done it already against D1 competition.

Brecht is actually one of the best coaches I’ve ever seen with this, and not just in blowouts. Most coaches are very conservative and reluctant to give young / developing players meaningful experience unless they are simply too talented not to play or are forced to play due to injury. Brecht is not afraid to play young second and third stringers. You will see them rotate in even in close games vs quality opponents. This goes a long way toward insuring that we are playing our best lacrosse towards the end of the season.

2-0 RU.

Logan Peters gets his first career goal. If you ask any of the kids on the team, he often came up as the next big thing.

I think we are going to see a lot of him moving forward on the second line.

7-5 Ross with an outstanding individual effort. That kids highlight reel is pretty redic

The bada-bing bada-boom is nauseating.

With all due respect to Rick, we need to separate ourselves from that stereotype.

Last edited:
Second half is more like it. 14-5. Like to see even more back ups get run.

Murphy is a finisher. Kid has such great hands. I think they are going to have to start giving him more run.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Murphy is a finisher. Kid has such great hands. I think they are going to have to start giving him more run.

Yes, he was not shy and took a couple of nice shots!! My take from the Salisbury game I saw was that his game was primarily distribution but I am glad to see he can do both.

One thing we cannot downplay thus far is how superbly the defense has played this season. Minus the Army game which was more due to missing Dugenio at FOGO and Rall, the team has not allowed double digit goals in any other game. If we had a healthy Dugenio/Rall for Army, we most likely beat them and are 5-0 right now.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Solid Tuesday win.

To hold any team to 6 goals, much less a team like Loyola, is great work. To follow that up with an overmatched opponent holding them to 6 as well is another great effort.

Looks like they rested Sprock which was a great call. Didn't seem like there were any injuries and we played a ton of guys which is always great for the locker room.

Congrats to the guys who scored their first college goals- Baker, who's father was in from Australia, and Murphy. Murphy with a quiet hat trick. Kid has skills. Wouldn't be shocked if he starts playing more.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
St Johns was just overmatched physically by our starters. After a sluggish start which can be typical in a midweek game, they came out and exerted their dominance. One of the best things about these games is seeing the young guys and back ups. We played almost the entire roster. I like seeing those young guys come in and run our system. They don't just come in and look for theirs. I attribute that to how they practice. They scrimmage probably more than most programs and you see when anyone comes in they are playing to the system in place because they run it in practice.

Another thing is our size and speed. You saw it against Loyola. B1G teams are just different. They have size and speed most teams outside of the Acc don't have. Certainly some of the Ivy's but that's it. We look like a B1G team when we walk off the bus.

Said in a previous post but I think we are going to have to start getting Murphy some more time. He brings the element of finishing that Kulas brings, but he also can carry and go one on one. It's something we miss when Kulas is in. Not saying we sit Kulas, but it will give a very different look. Good to mix it up. I'd like to see what he looks like with Ross and Cameron.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Solid Tuesday win.

To hold any team to 6 goals, much less a team like Loyola, is great work. To follow that up with an overmatched opponent holding them to 6 as well is another great effort.

Looks like they rested Sprock which was a great call. Didn't seem like there were any injuries and we played a ton of guys which is always great for the locker room.

Congrats to the guys who scored their first college goals- Baker, who's father was in from Australia, and Murphy. Murphy with a quiet hat trick. Kid has skills. Wouldn't be shocked if he starts playing more.
FWIW, Dom Savino said at the beginning of the broadcast that Sprock was out due to injury, and was “day to day.”

This is why I like playing St. John's. We dominated them at home. Got to play a lot of guys. Beat them badly last year at their place. Gets RU exposure in a top recruiting area. You want to play for a top 10 lax program in the NY metro area? Rutgers is your choice. They will improve after making a coaching change after last season, but RU is just stronger and will remain stronger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT